• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's an incredible design for fixing FOW, and I wonder if they could print it into Standard. It only exists to stop degenerate combos- you can't protect your own spells or stop creatures

WolfofMebu

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: Holy crap, haha. The JP planeswalkers on Card Kingdom are all out of stock again anyway, but they threw up pages for the foils now and... their listed price for foil Lili is $1000. Wow.

I paid around 550 for mine on Yahoo auctions, they were going for closer to 400 at the beginning and I'm kicking myself that I didn't buy it sooner. Though they go for 800+ now, and they've been selling for around 1000 on eBay.

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting design. It also doesn't stop creatures but it isn't totally dead if you can't pay the alt cost. I might slot that into my blue EDH deck.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
davidemsa asked: You said that this set has more than 40 non-evergreen keywords. Is that more than Time Spiral block?
I think so, but it's close.
By the way, for those who don't follow me on Twitter, I just announced Modern Horizons has over 40 (!!!) nonevergreen named mechanics in it. : )

May 19, 2019

doopboopdoop asked: Can you tell us the year the newest mechanic in Modern Horizons is?
The line we drew in design was the set could use any mechanic already in Modern up to Dragons of Tarkir.

May 19, 2019

jacethebeltsculptor asked: Congratulations on getting Squirrels back in Black Border!!! I can't wait to hear the story of how it happened.
The story isn't as dramatic as you would hope.
We put it in and no one told us to take it out.

May 19, 2019

And unrelated to MH1

gabecampos89 asked: Hi Mark, Theros is one of my favorite sets, and i love the enchantment matters theme. It did feel quite a bit underpowered though, and it's hard to use many of my favorite cards and themes in eternal formats like Commander. May i request that a return to Theros sees a bit more of the powered-up end of that pendulum?
I've heard loud and clear that any return to Theros should have an "enchantment natters" component.

May 19, 2019
Also, Stream of Thought
8b75bef5-a039-4edf-8e43-56b8d089605e.jpg

Is basically Dampen Thought spliced into Stream of Consciousness.
39.jpg
4faef057-8734-442b-a213-c309c219cdee.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Captura.PNG

Well, here it is! Sort of.
Can't protect your own combo, but can stop a turn 1 Aether Vial or Faithless Looting. In some cases, it might even be better than Force of Will due to the exile.

This card is a beautiful design. It does everything you want FoW to do against degenerate combo, doesn't let combo protect itself, doesn't let you get tempo against fair decks, etc. I love it.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Why have that dumb if it's not your turn clause? When has FoW ever been used in combo decks aside from like Sneak and Show? Splinter Twin isn't even legal!

Oct 25, 2017
Why have that dumb if it's not your turn clause? When has FoW ever been used in combo decks aside from like Sneak and Show? Splinter Twin isn't even legal!

They did that because they don't want delver or stoneblade to happen. The whole game tilts towards blue if they print literal FoW because it can be used offensively AND defensively. So blue aggro is the best and blue control is the best and blue combo is the best.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Delver decks will play this card to combat combo anyway. What's been documented time and time again, FoW is terrible in the fair matchups and this is a worse version of that since it can't counter creatures. Stoneforge is banned.

Like I said combo decks won't play this card. The blue card cost is an actual restriction. They're more likely to play Pact of Negation.

Blue control needs a win. Fuck Tron.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
The original artwork for Sol Ring, Winter Orb, and Aspect of Wolf popped up on Facebook the other day. It's gotten people in a stir since their location has been unknown for years. The gallery in Seattle where these paintings were hung closed on short notice, and Mark Tedin never received payment for Sol Ring. The current provenance is headache-inducing in this case.

Sol Ring is a six-figure sale on it's own. Juicy stuff.

TvwZoZfl.jpg
TRfWObIl.jpg
vmQU3vXl.jpg

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't say it's a bad card. My point is there's little reason for that clause unless they plan on unbanning Splinter Twin or Stoneforge (lol)

Also if you actually know me I don't play Standard so I don't comment on that front.

Feb 16, 2018
if they want a stronger version they can add it in modern horizons 2 or 3 or 4 or 5

they don't need to jump directly from pact of negation to force of will. they can take small steps

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Oh geez, gonna need plenty of that Prismatic Vista for Commander decks... and so is everybody else. Already scared of what that thing's going to cost me...

Oct 28, 2017
Oh geez, gonna need plenty of that Prismatic Vista for Commander decks... and so is everybody else. Already scared of what that thing's going to cost me...

Yeah the price on that one is gonna be through the roof. Even worse, it might be playable in some Modern and Legacy decks as a budget alternative. If we get lucky and the price goes to like $5 at some point, I'm just going to buy 10 all at once.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the price on that one is gonna be through the roof. Even worse, it might be playable in some Modern and Legacy decks as a budget alternative. If we get lucky and the price goes to like $5 at some point, I'm just going to buy 10 all at once.
It's not even a budget alternative, in two colour decks it's probably better than an off colour fetch.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
It's not even a budget alternative, in two colour decks it's probably better than an off colour fetch.

An off-colour fetch can still get a shockland with the two colours in your deck while this only fetches basics, so a fetchland will always be preferable. There is only one scenario where this new land might be better than an off-colour, and that's if you have already fetched all your shocks and only basics are left (so you can fetch both types of basics instead of just one) but it's a extremely marginal case since you probably don't need that extreme amount of mana fixing beyond the 3rd dual

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
An off-colour fetch can still get a shockland with the two colours in your deck while this only fetches basics, so a fetchland will always be preferable. There is only one scenario where this new land might be better than an off-colour, and that's if you have already fetched all your shocks and only basics are left (so you can fetch both types of basics instead of just one) but it's a extremely marginal case since you probably don't need that extreme amount of mana fixing beyond the 3rd dual
It's not marginal at all, it saves you 2 live and let's you play around things like blood moon

MH1 - Morophon, the Boundless; Force of Vigor; Seasoned Pyromancer
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
MaRo's preview article goes over how this set was started and has some interesting stories.
en_skzbNgJr7v.png

This was created to be a Commander for all tribes that fall through the cracks.

Green part of the Force cycle
s3_image.php

Might be needed for Karn + Lattice now, haha. EDIT: Wait, no, cards in hand are colorless.

Revealed by LSV

Captura.PNG

Young Pyromancer got buff. Seems decent, but this set suffers from disappointing red mythic syndrome too.

Last edited:

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Maaaaan, that was the worst misplay I've had in a while. Forgot Arboreal Grazer had reach, and was playing Feather against a Nissa deck that just plopped down Nissa. Already had an Arcanist down, and I used Reckless Rage on the buffed land, and figured my now flying Legionarre was set to smack Nissa to death... and I decided not to Reckless Rage the Grazer because I had scried I was drawing my Feather next turn, so I was like "eh, let's just not use the Arcanist ability. Better to have it recurring through Feather rather than waste it now to get rid of a 0/3!" Needless to say, my stupidity there cost me the game BIG TIME.

Still kicking myself over that one.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maaaaan, that was the worst misplay I've had in a while. Forgot Arboreal Grazer had reach, and was playing Feather against a Nissa deck that just plopped down Nissa. Already had an Arcanist down, and I used Reckless Rage on the buffed land, and figured my now flying Legionarre was set to smack Nissa to death... and I decided not to Reckless Rage the Grazer because I had scried I was drawing my Feather next turn, so I was like "eh, let's just not use the Arcanist ability. Better to have it recurring through Feather rather than waste it now to get rid of a 0/3!" Needless to say, my stupidity there cost me the game BIG TIME.

Still kicking myself over that one.
Grazer is the most powerful card in standard.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seasoned pyromancer is a waste of a mythic slot. That's gonna feel really bad pulling those out of a pack. Hopefully they keep these duds to a minimum.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Seasoned Pyromancer is really good. 3 Mana, 4 power, put two Arclight Phoenixes into the yard and draw two is gas. It also getting random incidental value when it's in the yard is great. This is a really strong card. I think it'd be fine at rare, but would be insane at uncommon.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the big deal with the untapped evolving wilds, maybe I'd replace the 3rd off colour fetch with it but that's pretty much it.

Oct 28, 2017
commander is my primary format I'd only consider it in decks where fetches go dead quickly which is due to my lack of OG duals just enemy 2 colour decks.

I run pretty expensive mana bases and still always have a few basics at least (enemy 2 color decks I go as high as 16 basics). I'd drop one for this. It definitely doesn't replace a fetch but it does service as a nice bonus.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Ooh, keep the goblins coming! Combo of bringing down prices even further I guess and more importantly actual nice art has me kind of wanting to pull the trigger on Goblin commander in the near future... (plus honestly I really like new Krenko and would kind of like a deck he could slot in.)

Edit: Oh wait, is that guy brand new? Neat!

Status
Not open for further replies.