• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
Okay guys, so random question: what commanders are best for +1/+1 counters or tokens as themes respectively? I'm certainly not going to scrap it just yet or anything and it'll likely at least stick around as a low power deck for fun now and again, but my humans commander deck kinda plays in those fields, but seems rather on the weak side...

Edit: Oh wait, isn't Atraxa a +1/+1 counter deck? Am I remembering correctly that people hate playing against it, though? Not sure I want to build a deck that everyone's just going to despise, much as the theme interests me... Hmm...

I have a +1/+1 counter tribal deck helmed by Skullbriar that I enjoy. It's not the highest power-level commander for counters, but it's fun making him big.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
One more reason they feel off to me. Like yeah I'll just fire off a quick text from my spell phone cause I swept Garruk's garage last week, so if you need that jar of pickles open I can get him here anytime. Not like these characters are busy or anything. Here's a new chapter for the lore of mtg, nothing further happens in the story because all the fabled heroes and villains keep disappearing from their lives every 30 seconds to go help some randos fight each other -_-.
If you try hard enough, you can make anything sound silly and moronic.

Eternal Taskmaster

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
Eternal Taskmaster

D3JdFbQXgAA4ZSX.png:large

Gonna hate this thing in limited!

MonkeySleeve

Nov 15, 2017
Okay guys, so random question: what commanders are best for +1/+1 counters or tokens as themes respectively? I'm certainly not going to scrap it just yet or anything and it'll likely at least stick around as a low power deck for fun now and again, but my humans commander deck kinda plays in those fields, but seems rather on the weak side...

Edit: Oh wait, isn't Atraxa a +1/+1 counter deck? Am I remembering correctly that people hate playing against it, though? Not sure I want to build a deck that everyone's just going to despise, much as the theme interests me... Hmm...
I have that Atraxa EDH deck, while its pretty fun to see your creatures grow exponentially with their counters, all that hard work is pretty easy to negate by boardwhipes and removal.

I do wonder now that proliferate is changed in this set, if this also applies to Atraxa's proliferate.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
After seeing all the spoiled cards, this set looks interesting. I like the focus on planeswalkers and how it'll be possible to see many of them in a typical game instead of just one that either wins the game for its controller or dies instantly. The new amass mechanic sounds underpowered though. You simply have a token creature that can get big, but has no abilities at all and it'll be probably easy to deal with. Not worth the effort, unless you build some silly combo.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017

I have recently built Pir and Toothy as a Superfriends deck but they also work great as +1/+1 counters commanders. Having 2 commanders is pretty nice and being restricted to 2 colours means having to dig deeper and run cards you'd normally never run.

Oct 27, 2017
Eternal Taskmaster

D3JdFbQXgAA4ZSX.png:large

Gonna hate this thing in limited!

As someone who only plays Constructed/Arena, I don't see this card being good, but I love decks that fool with the graveyard so I'll try it out.

The new set is definitely interesting, but as it stands I'm not sure how effective Amass and Proliferate are going to be. Not in the face of Esper, which is only getting stronger.

Deleted member 29293

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Just block it by the time it's relevant. It has nothing on murmuring mystic
I'm not so sure, there is so much upside. A two mana 2/3 is pretty good and the activation cost is quite cheap. Even if you send it to its death you can cash it in for your best creature in the gy. It's also not a given that your opponent will be able to kill a 2/3.

Oct 28, 2017

The best commander for this type of thing is, without a doubt, Ghave, Guru of Spores. He goes infinite on accident regularly. Very good, but very powerful and I don't know if that might be a turn off in your playgroup.

The other choice for both would be Marath, Will of the Wild. I think Marath could be a very fun deck. Might be a good idea to look into.

If you want lower power but fun for counters, I kind of like Prime Speaker Zegana. She's interested in big stuff generally, and you could certainly build her caring about +1/+1 counters. She'd be my choice if I wanted a lower power commander that did only counters.

Atraxa is a +1/+1 counter deck if you want it to be. She's good and not overpowered, but I suspect you'll see 100,000 Atraxa decks over the next year, all of them super friends, and no one will want to play against your own Atraxa deck. I wouldn't do her.

If you want to do tokens, Rhys the Redeemed is good. Potential to be extremely strong, too. I think that deck is very vulnerable to board wipes, but it can definitely win even in a strong playgroup if you build it competitively.

Oct 28, 2017
Just block it by the time it's relevant. It has nothing on murmuring mystic

Depending on the meta, it could be as good as mystic. Creatures will likely be more valuable and getting them back is good. That said, I do agree mystic is probably much better overall most of the time. It's hard to directly compare cards like that as they don't exist in a vacuum.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The quality will prob be in the PW so I expect creatures to be slightly less relevant/busted. It wil be a strong unco like gravedigger but nothing to lose your mind over.

Neheb, Dreadhorde Champion

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
D3J6v1lXkAEkYwL

This seems good. Does it work with Collected Company?
It should- just because you usually "draw" the 6 cards when you CC, they are technically on top of your library
Also, i'm surprised that this shuffles into the library instead of going to the bottom- I thought they tried to lessen the amount of shuffles in a game

Neheb_Dreadhorde_Champion_EN.png

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's fun. You find him, get rewarded, and then he's gone again at the first sign of trouble!

Works with Arkbow as a decent "well I didn't find anything else" plan.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
It should- just because you usually "draw" the 6 cards when you CC, they are technically on top of your library
Also, i'm surprised that this shuffles into the library instead of going to the bottom- I thought they tried to lessen the amount of shuffles in a game

Neheb_Dreadhorde_Champion_EN.png

I always question my card evaluating skills, but this seems like a very good card.

Oct 28, 2017
I always question my card evaluating skills, but this seems like a very good card.

I think not because it doesn't do anything when it comes into play and costs 4. At 4 mana, you typically expect something to happen (or otherwise generate great value, such as Rekindling Phoenix). This card is just asking to get hit by removal, and I know that can happen against any creature, but it does happen regularly and he's high value but easy to deal with, so I expect he will get dealt with.

Last edited:

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
it's a powerful effect, but there's a high bar to clear for 4cc cards without CIP abilities, haste, or built-in protection. it does get interesting with any ways to give it haste.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Neheb might be playable somewhere midrange-y but he's probably too slow for mono-red, yeah. Not really surprising since 99% of all cards are too slow for mono-red.

Oct 25, 2017
it's a powerful effect, but there's a high bar to clear for 4cc cards without CIP abilities, haste, or built-in protection. it does get interesting with any ways to give it haste.
For reference since I'm new and didn't know this, "CIP" is slang for "Comes Into Play" which translates to "ETB" which stands for "Enters The Battlefield" which is another phrase for "Battlecry".

Oligarchenemy

Oct 25, 2017
That Yoshitaka Amano artwork on the jp site appears to have been an April Fool's joke? God dammit I just wanted see the full version that wasn't cropped

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not being able to be Cast Down helps Neheb a bit.. But if you're Rakdos I feel like Rix Maadi Reveler still does the card filtering better though, and much more reliably (and is stellar when your hand is empty).

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
If you're running Neheb you're presumably trying to cheat out something (or a quantity of somethings) that requires more mana than you can naturally produce, rather than just cycling by itself. Like maybe powering out an Angrath or something. In theory you could just cycle into a grip of Skewers and blast off to the moon, but in practice you're generally going to be happier with Experimental Frenzy if that's your gameplan.

I'm sure there'll be some goofy YouTube decks that use it to ramp out a Thousand Year Storm combo or Etalli or Haphazard Bombardment or something. The dream of red ramp never truly dies in the land of building gimmick decks for clicks.

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Y'all act like rhythm of the wild isn't a thing, and that there isn't a planeswalker that gives everything haste. That being said, I can't see you wanting to discard much of anything in Gruul midrange, so I'm not sure what deco this guy would fit on.

Status
Not open for further replies.