• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MH1 - Kess, Dissident Mage; Spell Snuff

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
First non-foil printing of Kess
image0.jpg
image0.jpg

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Enemy colored talismans are going to make a bunch of my EDH decks happy.

This set is crazy good. Somehow they managed to make a set that makes new, exciting cards for Modern while also providing cube and EDH worthy cards. Bravo.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love EDH and Oathbreaker. They're the only formats a collector like me can actually enjoy the game since I only buy one of any card.

I think its silly with how many people call other formats in this game trash just because they don't enjoy them. I like that Magic has various ways for people to enjoy the game.

Last edited:

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Something has gone terribly wrong if the non-foil version of Kess becomes the "premium" version.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
I don't enjoy draft or sealed but I don't call the whole format garbage. Get over it and just don't play the styles you don't like lol
And is the most popular or close to it.

I think it just looks like stuff is tailored to EDH because EDH can make use of nearly anything. Were they supposed to make an entire set of Modern playables?
I love EDH and Oathbreaker. They're the only formats a collector like me can actually enjoy the game since I only buy one of any card.

I think its silly with how many people call other formats in this game trash just because they don't enjoy them. I like that Magic has various ways for people to enjoy the game.
I think it's silly to dogpile on ridiculous statements.

When someone dislikes EDH seeing a sizeable amount of space in a set called modern horizons being tailored for just that can be upsetting.

I love EDH though but there's really a lot of EDH trash in this set.

Nov 2, 2017

When someone dislikes EDH seeing a sizeable amount of space in a set called modern horizons being tailored for just that can be upsetting.

Honestly, I still feel like it's just because the power level of the set is so much higher than most Standard sets. What's normally limited jank is still the limited jank of the set, but the higher power level makes more of it playable in Commander.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
While I personally dislike the format, I'm fine with them printing cards specifically for EDH in non-EDH sets. I do think it's a little weird that this set feels more like an EDH masters set than a special modern one, though

Nether Spirit is a cool reprint- it's a staple of the Vintage Dredge deck that isnt playable in the current dredge shell used in Modern- it's going to require a new deck to be created if you want to use it

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

No one is disagreeing that might be upsetting. No one is even saying being upset is an issue. It's still no justification to call an entire format trash. Maybe calling the set trash by your logic would make more sense.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta remember that this set has two purposes.

1. Print to Modern.
2. Time Spiral 2

Just think of all the EDH cards as fitting into the second category.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not buying this set at all, but I can call out their garbage greedy practices.

Do Wizards have an obligation to give you Magic as a charity? They are a business. They sell cards for the prices people are willing to pay for them. You say it's greedy as if it's wrong, but really it's just the nature of the beast. You don't hate the lion for killing the prey. If you think the price is bad, you can speak your mind by not buying at that price. I won't be either for the same reason, though I'm sure I'll buy singles and feed into the demand and thus indirectly encourage it. I'm fine with that outcome.

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
A Previous Article said:
the Vision Design team identified several elements from Time Spiral block that weren't suitable for Modern Horizons:
  • Confusing references to unnotable cards: Stormcloud Djinn is an example of a card that doesn't make sense without context, nor is the revelation of the cards it's riffing off of (Electric Eel and Cloud Djinn) a cool Easter egg. It's merely weird.
Opening a pack of Modern Horizons just creates joy. There are tons of cards that can slide into all sorts of decks—Modern, Commander, and even Legacy—and even the commons will put smiles on faces. And, while there are certainly a fair share of wonky cards, it shed a bit of the esoteric nonsense that Time Spiral carried with it (did you know that Cyclopean Giant is two Cyclopean Mummys and a Cyclopean Tomb?) so that even newer Magic players can look at the cards and have a blast.

To me, it's weird that they keep referring negatively to Time Spiral's esotericism. That was a huge part of the charm! This set looks great, but it's annoying that everything needs to be focus-grouped into a sheen even in a product like this. Like, even in a set that's explicitly made for enfranchised players, we can't risk printing stuff that might give people five seconds of confusion.

MH1 - On Thin Ice
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
To me, it's weird that they keep referring negatively to Time Spiral's esotericism. That was a huge part of the charm! This set looks great, but it's annoying that everything needs to be focus-grouped into a sheen even in a product like this. Like, even in a set that's explicitly made for enfranchised players, we can't risk printing stuff that might give people five seconds of confusion.
They're referencing cards that people are attached to like Goatnapper, not random jank like Cyclopean Mummy. Seems like a fine adjustment to me.

D7qnu3IWwAAxeX6.png

Status
Not open for further replies.