• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
I have a rules question for the latest episode of Game Knights. Here's what happens (spoiler tagged just in case anyone cares):

P1: Anguished Unmaking
P2: Lapse of Certainty (countering Anguished Unmaking)
P1: Imp's Mischief (targeting Lapse of Certainty)
P1: Imp's Mischief resolves, changes Lapse of Certainty's target to Imp's Mischief

Now as far as I understand, Imp's Mischief isn't a valid target for Lapse of Certainty when it resolves. Or is it still on the stack? Can you misdirect a counter onto the misdirect to effectively counter the counter?
Mischief doesn't leave the stack until it's finished resolving, so it's a legal target at the time. So yes, you can redirect a counter onto the misdirect to fizzle it.

Totally Lost
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
D3LhUEbVYAA19Hn.jpg:small

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Dreadhorde Butcher and the new Blood Artist give me hope for Aristocrats.

They might be Fancy Zombies instead of true Aristocrats, but that's fine.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
Doublecast and league guildmage also still exist, so some redundancy there that you can also burn on doubling up your cheap draw spells if you need to dig for other pieces.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
There is a 3 card infinite combo with the new Ral, Expansion, and any other cheap spell. You can even do it with just 2 cards if your opponent responds to Ral -2.

https://i.imgur.com/j6NZL6Q.jpg
Ral's -2 only applies to the next spell you cast, so Opt would get the copy effect as soon as you cast it. Unless you can use Planeswalkers at instant speed (which might be a card in this set), there's no way to stack it so Expansion gets the copy. Or if your opponent plays something (or teammate in team formats).

Doublecast and league guildmage also still exist, so some redundancy there that you can also burn on doubling up your cheap draw spells if you need to dig for other pieces.

Guildmage works. You'd still need a dummy spell like Opt to target with the first Expansion, and Ral to get profit from infinite copy effects.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
The combo is not quite as easy as I first interpreted it. However these are cards you are likely going to be playing anyway in U/R decks so maybe we'll get to see it happen from time-to-time.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
With Judith that card would be nuts in bgr aggro if it includes creatures dying this turn I guess?

Oct 27, 2017

Just a little more information:

5R
Aggressive Manticore
Creature – Zombie Manticore
When Aggressive Manticore enters the battlefield, Amass 2.
4/5

1B
Lazotep Fleshrenderer/reaver
Creature – Zombie Beast
When Lazotep Fleshrenderer/reaver enters the battlefield, Amass 1.
1/2

4B
Lazotep's Behemoth
Creature – Zombie Hippo
5/4

1U
Lazotep's Plate Armour
Instant
Amass 1.

Until the end of turn, you and permanents you control have hexproof.

- -

Amass seems lame, but I am eager to be proven wrong.

Last edited:

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
So far we've mostly just seen Amass setup. And the setup has been fine, but I'm expecting/hoping to see more payoff. Gleaming Overseer is a start.

I don't care if it makes a splash in Constructed, but I'd love for it to be a thing in Limited. Shoot, if they can print enough payoff for Surveil to make a sweet draft deck, they can do it for Amass, right?

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I like how the creatures that Amass when they etb have the same number of soldiers in their art as the amount they Amass.

The mechanic still seems weird in so many ways though. I understand every mechanic isn't going to make perfect sense, but there's so many bizarre things with Amass. Like why does coming into contact with a 1/1 deathtouch decimate an entire army?

Oct 27, 2017
I like how the creatures that Amass when they etb have the same number of soldiers in their art as the amount they Amass.
tenor.gif

Unfortunately these seem to be the only cards for which that is true.

- -

Looking at the spoilers list, the art for the new basic lands is cool and all, but I really don't like them in the context of being lands.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Guys do you think Niv-Mizzet Reborn would make for a good Superfriends Commander? Like, you draw a shitton of Planeswalkers when he comes into play, and with stuff like Venser's +2 you can repeat that since it's etb, drawing half your deck's planeswalkers in a few turns.

It's a crazy strong effect imo. Just not sure if it's worth it and whether you can get them out fast enough to not overdraw on them if you don't have a relinquary tower out. But if you get your hand discarded or otherwise gimped, you might just fill your hand with walkers again.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Guys do you think Niv-Mizzet Reborn would make for a good Superfriends Commander? Like, you draw a shitton of Planeswalkers when he comes into play, and with stuff like Venser's +2 you can repeat that since it's etb, drawing half your deck's planeswalkers in a few turns.

It's a crazy strong effect imo. Just not sure if it's worth it and whether you can get them out fast enough to not overdraw on them if you don't have a relinquary tower out. But if you get your hand discarded or otherwise gimped, you might just fill your hand with walkers again.
Dream Halls seems super busted with NiveC.

Then again you could just play Omniscience and Enter the Infinite instead lol

loveshuffle

Alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Grabbed the Liliana preorder and gonna grab some Tezes too. This set is going to be insane. I need Dovin's Veto in my life.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
yeah, that's what I was thinking. I haven't seen anything about Amass that excites me, unfortunately.
Level Up was actually a pretty interesting mechanic decision-making wise, especially how to manage your resources. Amass is more like eldrazi tokens where the creatures that come with Amass will always provide value for you and you just use them to make bigger creatures.

Oct 25, 2017
The base set mechanics are obviously going to be less interesting/complex because of the number of planeswalkers and the decision points those will create.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Maybe it's just the blurry preview images, but so far the art in this set seems kinda mediocre to me. I also think the whole Lazotep thing means so many creatures just look like "generic blue and gold thingy."

Status
Not open for further replies.