• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
This was the internal pitch.

This was not how it was pitched when announced.

The disconnect is a big problem.
The disconnect is a problem, but to say that it was an ego thing doesn't work within that timeline. While designing the cards they were making Time Spiral 2. Marketing decided, after the fact, to play up the Modern aspect. That has nothing to do with the design process.

Oct 28, 2017
This was the internal pitch.

This was not how it was pitched when announced.

The disconnect is a big problem.

They never promised it would be reprint-focused. In the official unveiling stream, they referred to it as "quirky and offbeat," which is something a "Masters" set of reprints would never be called. Then, they go onto saying it's "not a Modern reprint-driven product." The first cards shown made it very clear that they would be playing homage to older cards without actually printing those strong cards into Modern.

Here's the announcement, you can watch it yourself: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/announcing-modern-horizons-2019-02-28

If there was a misunderstanding regarding what the set was about, I don't think it's on Wizards. It's on the content creators who talked only about reprints and not about alternatives. Wizards pitched exactly what the set ultimately was when it was announced.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
They never promised it would be reprint-focused. In the official unveiling stream, they referred to it as "quirky and offbeat," which is something a "Masters" set of reprints would never be called. Then, they go onto saying it's "not a Modern reprint-driven product." The first cards shown made it very clear that they would be playing homage to older cards without actually printing those strong cards into Modern.

Here's the announcement, you can watch it yourself: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/announcing-modern-horizons-2019-02-28

If there was a misunderstanding regarding what the set was about, I don't think it's on Wizards. It's on the content creators who talked only about reprints and not about alternatives. Wizards pitched exactly what the set ultimately was when it was announced.

I mean what the content creators did was perfectly reasonable. We had so little information about what was actually in the set at the time so reprint speculation was basically all they could do. The mistake is in people overvaluing the importance of reprints by letting that content and their own speculation shape their understanding of the set.

MH1 - Alpine Guide
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png

Neat mechanic
Should have been a goblin like originally designed, though

Oct 25, 2017
Okay that is really neat.

Lol and I guess Red really does have the "do everything the others can do but shitty" part of the color pie.

Feb 16, 2018
the set seemed fine design-wise once they explained it was mostly random cards that were bypassing standard instead of all the cards being specifically designed for competitive modern

would have preferred unstable/conspiracy pricing instead of masters pricing given that it's 95% junk, but that's a separate complaint

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The flavor of Alpine Guide is off the charts good. It's a worse card for it, but the design is awesome.

Oct 28, 2017
the set seemed fine design-wise once they explained it was mostly random cards that were bypassing standard instead of all the cards being specifically designed for competitive modern

would have preferred unstable/conspiracy pricing instead of masters pricing given that it's 95% junk, but that's a separate complaint

I wouldn't say it's 95% junk. The quality of the rares and mythics is pretty excellent overall. I'd say at least 50% of those cards will have value to some. Of course, that does mean the monetary value of the cards will be driven down as there'll be too many.

Metal Slugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Cloud, MN
welp spoilers are almost done time to bitch

Like we're getting Urza, Yawgmoth and Serra cards for the first time ever. Who gives a single solitary fuck about whether Cabal Therapist is Spike-y enough?

l-40729-wack.jpg

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
The art in this set is so good. It's nice not having every second spell featuring a highlighted Planeswalker.
While I agree that the art feels a lot more fresh sans planeswalkers, there are some things that just really feel...souless to me
Like, compare Ravenous Giant to Juzam Djinn
52337d8d-e0ee-4229-848d-9bbd989e15b7.jpg
29.jpg

While Ravenous Giant is a "better", more detailed piece of art..... it just doesn't even come close to Juzam

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of disappointed over how much of the set got taken up by snow stuff and slivers. I don't have any use for either.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
They only printed one dragon for my dragon tribal EDH deck and it's complete shit.

The snow stuff is literally unplayable too.

Set is bad.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Some cool stuff from Japan. The bookstore chain Kinokuniya is hosting a pop-up shop in Shibuyua featuring canvas prints of the JP alt planeswalkers.

https://event.amnibus.com/mtg-kinokuniya-shibuya/

They are 5000 yen each, no sizes but indicated probably in the 12x16 inch range.

35 different planeswalkers are available, except for Liliana. Evidently Wizards doesn't have full rights to that painting.

llKaDPs.png

0ZiGcps.png

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
They printed Timetwister 2.0 for your Niv Mizzet deck.
I took apart that deck a long time ago. Maybe I'll rebuild it some day. Don't even have the Volcanic Island anymore. Guess it beats paying $2500 for Timetwister lol

Might as well ask: If there are people who have a U/R Niv deck, do you consider the new Niv to be a straight upgrade or is the UUURRR cost restrictive at times in the early to mid game?

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the pauper mode well received so far? Because I'm freaking hating it, feels insanely gimmick based

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
I took apart that deck a long time ago. Maybe I'll rebuild it some day. Don't even have the Volcanic Island anymore. Guess it beats paying $2500 for Timetwister lol

Might as well ask: If there are people who have a U/R Niv deck, do you consider the new Niv to be a straight upgrade or is the UUURRR cost restrictive at times in the early to mid game?
Only played against niv 3 decks but it's a straight upgrade that's also restrictive. The card is kind of busted in casual metas so much so that my primary strategy against the deck was to colour screw the player

Oct 28, 2017

I'd think if you were running Volcanic Island and 6 fetches, you'd be fine. The new horizon land and talisman will help a lot.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I don't even bother with the good fetches in my Commander decks. If I played competitively I would.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
There are so many dual lands now that it shouldn't be an issue nowadays, especially when you're Schreckstoff and use a 30 land manabase. :p
What can I say besides, it works.

The less lands you run the more sweet cards you can play.

On the subject of duals I often don't run them all and sometimes am not even running command tower. Just would rather have another fetchable land even if it's a basic.

Anyone else had the experience already about how stupid bolas' citadel is? Bunch of people in my local playgroup tried it out and usually won the game. Ended up trying it myself in a janky deck and took it out after just 1 day since it ruined the jank.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Ah the post-full spoiler hangover has hit the thread hard, right on cue.

I wanna know where the story is headed next!

Status
Not open for further replies.