• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm happy it's animated. It will be much easier to do crazy things this way. I hope they are smart enough to tie it into the actual story, whatever it is.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Man. It's a better mulligan rule for sure but they should probably keep close watch on potentially unfair things like Serum Powder.

Barrin

Dec 12, 2017
Hopefully the magic show will be decent. Glad to hear it will be animated since the show would never be given the budget to make a good life action show.

Do you still scry with the new Mulligan rule?

Sep 14, 2018
If they could go ahead and announce the new format that'd be great.

Standard is already insufferable as is tradition, but I may play the game again just to test the rule.

cdViking

Oct 28, 2017
Extremely intrigued by Modern Horizons as a limited format, but the cost is so prohibitive in terms of getting enough reps in to learn/appreciate it.

Feb 16, 2018
new mulligan is a step in the right direction

the anime/cartoon is cool too i guess, but it sounds like there won't be anything resembling games of magic there
the cool thing about pokemon/yugioh anime was that it kind of brought the fantasy of the gameplay to life, even if it wasn't accurate

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
If they could go ahead and announce the new format that'd be great.

Standard is already insufferable as is tradition, but I may play the game again just to test the rule.
They will announce the new non-rotating format around when the Fall set gets its big roll-out; they need one for Arena to prevent people from having no way to play with their Dominiaria/IXA cards

Stall_19

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the new mulligan rule will hurt dredge quite a bit. Looking for Leyline postboard becomes easier.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
New mulligan is cool.
Pretty psyched for the cartoon, too. One of the more drab aspects of the actual game is playing and tapping lands but lore wise it's a kinda abstract representation of your planeswalker growing stronger as they visit new places and tap into new mana sources which is a cool idea for episodic storytelling, as in like chandra in episode 1 is on ragatha and she's learning about rage cats and monk culture and her fireballs are x=1 size and then episode 2 she goes to zendikar and spends some time with some kors and learns how to control rock elementals and her fireballs are x=2 and so on.
Also Gideon needs a magical girl transformation sequence for when he becomes an indestructible creature each turn.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Dunno what to think about the mulligan rule. Don't think I'm a fan tbh

Going first in BO1 was already a huge advantage, it seems like it'd make it even more lopsided when it mitigates the one advantage you had on the draw.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Dunno what to think about the mulligan rule. Don't think I'm a fan tbh

Going first in BO1 was already a huge advantage, it seems like it'd make it even more lopsided when it mitigates the one advantage you had on the draw.

The new mulligan rule doesn't really effect winrates on going first or second. That is much more dependent on the natural advantage of going first plus the additional card draw than any marginal effects in hand consistency between the two.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
The new mulligan seems fine for Standard and Limited, but not really a fan of the decision making it promotes in older formats where individual cards are stronger.

Feb 16, 2018
new rule should slightly increase the winrate for going 1st

but the way it does that is by shifting the 5-35% winrate openings (eg. when you mulligan and opponents don't) up to 10-40%, which is better for the gameplay experience

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm wondering what will pay the price for the London Mulligan rule in older formats. Something has to give. Grisselbrand seems like a card that might see the axe in either Modern or Legacy, or both. I feel like Serum Powder will eventually just be broken by some configuration. Are there any cards any of you think might go bonkers once this kicks in? I'm know I'm glad they didn't print a green Urza into the instaban buzzsaw.

I suppose it's possible the new Force will police Modern but I have my doubts. It feels so much more like sideboard material that I don't think it can save degenerate cards and strategies forever and by itself.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Cube on modo first had london mulligan and now it doesn't so I don't know what's going on anymore.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
I'm wondering what will pay the price for the London Mulligan rule in older formats. Something has to give. Grisselbrand seems like a card that might see the axe in either Modern or Legacy, or both. I feel like Serum Powder will eventually just be broken by some configuration. Are there any cards any of you think might go bonkers once this kicks in? I'm know I'm glad they didn't print a green Urza into the instaban buzzsaw.

I suppose it's possible the new Force will police Modern but I have my doubts. It feels so much more like sideboard material that I don't think it can save degenerate cards and strategies forever and by itself.
allosauros rider will get banned.
that's it.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whenever there's a "this deck is the best in standard" article on Channel Fireball with a list and sideboard guide, Arena immediately becomes flooded with those exact 75 and sideboard strategies.

Knowing your opponent's literal game plan makes for a funny situation but holy shit does it get tedious fast.

Four matches today, four matches against that UWB list that got posted with no Thief of Sanity and 4 Bell Haunts main.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whenever there's a "this deck is the best in standard" article on Channel Fireball with a list and sideboard guide, Arena immediately becomes flooded with those exact 75 and sideboard strategies.

Knowing your opponent's literal game plan makes for a funny situation but holy shit does it get tedious fast.

Four matches today, four matches against that UWB list that got posted with no Thief of Sanity and 4 Bell Haunts main.
ctrl-f "worst matchup" then lookup the exact deck they're talking about :D

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I've had more foils become cloudy than become curled. I try to keep my cards sleeved or in a binder, so maybe that's preventing them from curling?

As a sidenote, I have noticed that cards from XLN and RIX feel less crisp than cards from DOM and onwards. WAR especially was super crisp.

Magic Story - The Gathering Storm - Chapter One
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Just got the first chapter of The Gathering Storm by Django Wexler via email.
* Ral goes to meet with Bolas, anger welling up about him daring to meet with him now.
* Meanwhile, a woman breaks into Nivix, Izzet headquarters, while Ral is gone, after having his stand-in's memories drained during a date earlier that night. The stand-in is a vedalken named Neero Jak or Jax, the spelling is inconsistent.
* Ral meets with Tezzeret, who is speaking for Bolas. They trade insults.
* Ral turns down the request to help Bolas, so Tezzeret attacks.
* The Accumulater that Ral uses throughout the WAR novel is introduced here.
* Ral easily fends off the attack and Tezzeret flees. Ral realizes that was too easy and it was all a diversion. He rushes back to Nivix.
* The woman breaking into Nivix is under mind control. Despite being a Dimir mind mage, she can't break out of it, and can't help but appreciate the skill behind the spell.
* She breaks into Niv-Mizzet's lab, where he is curled up sleeping. There are traps everywhere, but with enhanced sight, she can see and sneak past them.
* Niv-Mizzet's mind is too well protected to steal anything from, but adding a secret without notice is possible. She does so.
* Mind control forces the woman to step into a trap, despite her efforts to fight back. She becomes encased in ice and the security alarms go off.
* When Ral arrives, Nivix is in lock down. He is sent to Niv-Mizzet's lab.
* Ral explains that he was away investigating a threat to the guild, but Niv-Mizzet reveals he knows he was meeting with Bolas. He also knew Ral was a planeswalker from the beginning.
* From examining the woman's mind, he learns that the Dimir sent her to extract information from him. So he believes the Dimir are aligned with Bolas.
* To defeat Bolas, he'll have to become much more powerful, but the Guildpact won't allow that. This is what the Living Guildpact is for, but Jace is gone. Azor never intended for that position to go to a planeswalker.
* There is one alternative: they can alter the Guildpact itself, but that only works with the consent of all 10 guilds.
* Getting the guilds to agree is Ral's task. If this works, Niv-Mizzet will be separate from and above the guilds, and someone will have to take his place. Ral can consider this his graduation exam.
* Niv has been working on plans for a new project in between the mind mage's capture and Ral's return: an interplanar beacon, as a failsafe. He instructs that it's to be constructed.
* Ral decides to visit Azorius first.

The writing is pretty good, name inconsistency aside. This really should have come before WAR.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.