• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
I just hope we'll get some cool artifacts so we get something cool to fetch with Karn, the Great Creator.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes Core sets are interesting- M11 is the closest thing they have ever done to Torment in Modern frames, and M13 had insane removal in all colors paired with Exalted, which was a real fun system

A lot of times, though, Core sets really are boring.

Blooddimond

Oct 25, 2017
I think Maro's said that they're avoiding non-evergreen keywords in core sets from now on, so i'm not too optimistic or excited for the set. Which is fine, core sets should be simple, but they don't have to be as simple as m19.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty clear the route they're going is releasing a core set and a more advanced set around the same time so advanced players only have to really pay attention to the latter.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Surely they can do simple without dull. That's what I'm hoping for.
When they brought core sets back they changed the way they designed them. Now they make the 5 planeswalker decks, then design the set around making cards that can amplify those decks' themes. Then they use the rare slot for new cards and reprints aimed at other formats. We'll see if they stick to that with M20 or they change it up again.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Woo, made Mythic the second month that I've attempted it. Well, last two weeks of May and now June.

What's the # mean on the icon?

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Tried building a couple of Oathbreaker decks and finding it pretty discouraging.
I build new Ajani and new Angrath and designed them to play well together, but both fell pretty flat when actually playing because I didn't quite have the cards to make them any good.
So I tried netdecking new Nissa and Sarkhan but both feel super one-note in a way that I really don't like. It's kinda like applying the concept of deck efficiency from normal 60-card formats to commander, which I'm just not into. Part of why EDH is my favourite format is it's super variable; games aren't always the same, even in the same matchup.
It's a shame because the idea of a kind of 'fast commander' with planeswalkers is really cool, and the dynamic that signature spells add feels really fun. Maybe the format just isn't for me?
I'd still like to play Ajani, maybe I'll try get a friend to make a deck so I can focus on just one for now and make it as good as I can. Idk

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017

They are testing Best of One in Paper, with the big change being you draw 2 hands at the start of the game, and pick 1 to keep, or you mulligan to 2 6 card hands, and repeat

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
They are testing Best of One in Paper, with the big change being you draw 2 hands at the start of the game, and pick 1 to keep, or you mulligan to 2 6 card hands, and repeat
Basically what the Arena shuffler does in BO1 then.

Sounds awkward to do in paper. Looking at 2 piles that have to be separate while your opponent does the same seems easily abusable for cheating.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are 6 with 36 packs per. But the cards wont hold initial value like UM. So the smart thing to do if you want a full set is to buy a full set or just get singles. I don't know why I keep buying boxes.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hell I'll take it but that's wild. I was in the 170s upon getting there, first match was against someone in the 200s, so that didn't make sense to me. I won my first two mythic matches before I quit for the night and topped out at #77.

Not sure how I started that high (above the guy I played first) or got that high having merely made mythic and won only two matches.

I was 103 this morning having not played since.

Is there a public explanation of how it works?

Oct 28, 2017
Hell I'll take it but that's wild. I was in the 170s upon getting there, first match was against someone in the 200s, so that didn't make sense to me. I won my first two mythic matches before I quit for the night and topped out at #77.

Not sure how I started that high (above the guy I played first) or got that high having merely made mythic and won only two matches.

I was 103 this morning having not played since.

Is there a public explanation of how it works?

You started so high because only so many people had made it to Mythic so early in the month. More people will get there as time progresses and your rank will keep falling unless you keep playing.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
Me and a friend have been playing a variation of sealed / leagues for years. (Week one, we each open six boosters and build a deck, and usually we each also make a second deck with our leftovers. Weeks two and three we each open one additional booster, add it to our pools and rebuild / revise. After that, we start over with a new pool.)

This has worked out great for us, but we've never figured out what to do with our old cards. We're opening a lot, but not enough to really do constructed. And constructed against a fixed partner seems to be rock/paper/scissors in a bad way. We got all excited about Commander last year, but again, 1v1 it doesn't work out great; most games just seem to be both of us fiddling around until someone suddenly wins. I've been building my leftovers into a cube, but that at best just solves my half of the problem.

Any ideas? I have years worth of cards sitting in my closet with nothing much to do with them.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
You could do a White Elephant, no-rares constructed league. Basically, each person i nthe league is given another person at random that they build a deck for and then you guys just play with those decks. The goal is to make decks that you think the person will enjoy playing, but might not be the style of deck they necessarily gravitate towards. I have a bunch of friends that do this with an EDH league and they love it.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I did a MH sealed prerelease today. Went 2-2, but I pulled The First Sliver (didn't have support or I would have made a jank 5-color sliver deck), Serra, and the U/R and W/B lands, so I got my value out of it.

Camp1nCarl

Oct 25, 2017
I did a MH sealed prerelease today. Went 2-2, but I pulled The First Sliver (didn't have support or I would have made a jank 5-color sliver deck), Serra, and the U/R and W/B lands, so I got my value out of it.
Nice! I did a MH draft, didn't see any mythics or bombs. Went 2-1, but no good cards in my packs.

Thought it was good prep for the DC GP I'm attending next week. I think it's a pretty solid limited format. Not really bomb heavy like WAR is.

Barrin

Dec 12, 2017
Did a MH prerelease and went 1-2. Went UBG but I had a fairly weak pool. Didn't pull any mythics from my pool including the extra 2 packs I won. Only value card I got was a Prismatic Vista.

My box wasn't anything spectacular. Mythics were Seasoned Pyromancer, Yawgmoth, Sword of Truth and Justice, and Ranger-Captain of Eos. Did pull 4 out of the 5 Horizon lands and another Prismatic Vista. Disappointed that I didn't pull any of the rare slivers so I might just end up buying those along with Serra. Not sure if I should buy those now or wait a bit for a price drop.

Oct 28, 2017
Did a MH prerelease and went 1-2. Went UBG but I had a fairly weak pool. Didn't pull any mythics from my pool including the extra 2 packs I won. Only value card I got was a Prismatic Vista.

My box wasn't anything spectacular. Mythics were Seasoned Pyromancer, Yawgmoth, Sword of Truth and Justice, and Ranger-Captain of Eos. Did pull 4 out of the 5 Horizon lands and another Prismatic Vista. Disappointed that I didn't pull any of the rare slivers so I might just end up buying those along with Serra. Not sure if I should buy those now or wait a bit for a price drop.

Price drop for sure. The value in this set will crater.

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
Did three prerelease drafts. Won two with UB Ninjas. Went 2-1 with an insane UW go wide/blink deck. This format's enjoyable even though it's pretty pricey. I think blue and black are both very strong in this format. IMO UB Ninjas is one of the better, more consistent decks. Defile was going criminally late here, though.

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks. I had another box on order but I think I'll cancel it. Buying the rest of the cards that I wanted from the set as single copies would currently be slightly less then buying a box and I highly doubtful I'd get what I want all from one box.

That's a good call, I'd say. Especially if you can wait 4-6 weeks for the stuff that's already expensive.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017

The Slivers and Serra are all cards primed to plummet in value- Serra is not a modern card, and the Slivers probably aren't Modern cards either. Over the next half dozen weeks, the set will be opened a ton and the value of EDH/Casual cards will drop as they flood the market. They will start to climb again in a few months when the set isn't easy to find anymore though- I'd probably buy around M20 pre-release

Oct 28, 2017
The Slivers and Serra are all cards primed to plummet in value- Serra is not a modern card, and the Slivers probably aren't Modern cards either. Over the next half dozen weeks, the set will be opened a ton and the value of EDH/Casual cards will drop as they flood the market. They will start to climb again in a few months when the set isn't easy to find anymore though- I'd probably buy around M20 pre-release

This is my plan. M20 is when MH1 drafts will end and when people start looking to buy the new flashy cards.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I feel weird not buying a box of this but it's the right move. Especially since I already own my copies of Flusterstorm.

Barrin

Dec 12, 2017

Thanks for this info! I don't follow card prices so that's very good to know. I'll look at the card prices around the next prerelease.

Do you think the Horizon lands will drop further? I'd like to get a couple of them.

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for this info! I don't follow card prices so that's very good to know. I'll look at the card prices around the next prerelease.

Do you think the Horizon lands will drop further? I'd like to get a couple of them.

Everything that's currently expensive will drop. The only things that might increase in the short term are cards that are currently dirt cheap and then someone discovers a cool use for them.

Oct 28, 2017
Prismatic Vista and Horizon lands have the highest chance of spiking IMO so keep an eye on those.

Those lands are all $20 right now. They're all clearly very good. I won't say it's impossible, but those spiking in the short term is extremely unlikely. Prismatic Vista is worse than a fetch. Allied fetches are $20. That puts a ceiling on Prismatic Vista of $15 in the near future. I also expect it'll be a card that gets reprinted a number of times as it'd be a good card to slot into Commander products.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
MTG OT M20 - Now on London time
MTG OT M20 - A bad mulligan in London is better than a good mulligan in Vancouver

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Magic: The Gathering | OT | Core 2020 - Core-y in the House
Magic: The Gathering | OT | Core 2020 - Reprint Bolt You Cowards
Magic: The Gathering | OT | Core 2020 - No Nicols left to spend
Magic: The Gathering | OT | Core 2020 - Barbara Walters: 5-color PW
Magic: The Gathering | OT | Core 2020 - Garruk's Great Return

Status
Not open for further replies.