• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
Magic: The Gathering | OT | Core 2020 - Perfect Vision
Magic: The Gathering | OT | Core 2020 - Where in the Multiverse is Elspeth Sandiago?
Magic: The Gathering | OT | Core 2020 - London's Mulligan Will Return in "Scryfall"
Magic: The Gathering | OT | Core 2020 - The Year is 20XX

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I try to be hip in other ways! Definitely didn't get the rap references last time haha.

So is this one a play on "James Bond returns in Skyfall"?
Yeah, you got it!

Core sets are the hardest to come up with fun titles for, IMO. I don't think I'll top my "In the midnight hour, she yelled Core! Core! Core!" from last year so I'm not trying too hard this round haha

M20 - Chandras
Oct 28, 2017
So I guess spoilers are starting? Unless this is some kind of joke.

vyup8b7wrzbfuqtyroyv.png

qjmlchnpwtmgq2tjzfus.png

eszduz0ti2qs8tzlfsfa.png

I'm actually very happy to see more uncommon planeswalkers.

Unlike War of the Spark uncommons, this Chandra can gain loyalty.

I wonder if we will have a cycle for each of the five colors for the Gatewatch. Probably. Kinda tired of them.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Wait is it kid planeswalkers??

Magic: The Gathering | OT | Core 2020 - Children of the Core-n

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like it'll just be Chandra. The packaging we saw earlier focused on her too.

I'm surprised we're seeing uncommon, rare, and static ability planeswalkers already. Art is bleh for the lower rarity ones, but the cards seem fine.

Oct 25, 2017
More uncommon planeswalkers?

Honestly I'm not a huge fan. I liked it as a special thing but not sure I want it to be a normal thing.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
Blake confirmed that it's only Chandra receiving the three cards:

They do not. This is just for Chandra, the face of the set. #WOTCstaff

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Chandra being the face seems early since the Netflix show isn't for like a year or longer, right?

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
The comics also follow Chandra. It seems clear that they're gearing up to make her the face character of the game like Jace was for so long.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
Having the middle chandra be a lower cost than the youngest chandra also seems like a bit of a flavor fail. Not a great first impression for the set in general.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
More uncommon planeswalkers?

Honestly I'm not a huge fan. I liked it as a special thing but not sure I want it to be a normal thing.

Same, I really hope Chandra is the only one. That seems unlikely, but I also never would have guessed they'd include three versions of a single character in a set, so who knows.

I was really impressed with War of the Spark, I really don't like planeswalkers in general and was expecting to hate a set based around them but the designs of the uncommon ones were very clever. I would definitely prefer it be an occasional thing though.

I don't follow the story much and I'm really surprised that Chandra is considered the face character. It seems like Liliana is the far more interesting character at the moment, Gideon just sacrificed himself to save her, she is newly free from her demonic enslavement, and if I understand correctly there's still harsh feelings between her and the rest of the cast for her siding with Bolas (like I said, I don't follow the story closely, but from what I gather not everyone is aware that she was coerced into working for him).

Seems a little weird to have this huge event set that culminates a story arc that has been building up for years and ends with an extremely dramatic climax centered around one character and then pivot into "Let's explore this other character's origin story!"

Oct 28, 2017
Seems a little weird to have this huge event set that culminates a story arc that has been building up for years and ends with an extremely dramatic climax centered around one character and then pivot into "Let's explore this other character's origin story!"

I'd argue this is good storytelling. We just had a massive event as you said. That story now needs to rest a little bit. Chandra was not at all front and center in the Bolas storyline we just finished, so she's as good a character as any to follow in this core set. I suspect other future sets will focus on different characters, such as Garruk and maybe some of the new ones to flesh them out. We'll get back to Liliana as a focus eventually, but that should be years from now (though I don't mean to imply she should just be absent for years, but skipping a few sets should be more than fine).

Marvel is doing the same thing. We don't need to know how everyone is dealing with the aftermath of Endgame. I guess we'll find out about Spiderman, but only because Sony forced it. Marvel isn't releasing a movie for almost a year other than that and when they do, they're going to release two prequels first. Then the story will begin to move forward again almost two years later. That's good pacing.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I kind of want the mechanic to be that the less-experienced versions have an Ultimate that puts the out the next more experienced version into play, even though that would be awful and never do anything in reality.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I've played 8 matches in Mythic since getting there last Thursday and I'm ranked 62. Clearly I'm one of the best 62 Magic players in the world. The number says so. Numbers never lie.

I don't play Modern but I love that this is an article in 2019 and enjoyed reading it. Hits me right in the nostalgia sweet spot.
Zvi Moshowitz and BDM did a podcast a few weeks ago that was mostly just about Fact or Fiction and how Zvi won the Pro Tour with it, which included sections on how he would always put the card he could never beat in the larger pile to make them think it was less important

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I'd argue this is good storytelling. We just had a massive event as you said. That story now needs to rest a little bit. Chandra was not at all front and center in the Bolas storyline we just finished, so she's as good a character as any to follow in this core set. I suspect other future sets will focus on different characters, such as Garruk and maybe some of the new ones to flesh them out. We'll get back to Liliana as a focus eventually, but that should be years from now (though I don't mean to imply she should just be absent for years, but skipping a few sets should be more than fine).

Marvel is doing the same thing. We don't need to know how everyone is dealing with the aftermath of Endgame. I guess we'll find out about Spiderman, but only because Sony forced it. Marvel isn't releasing a movie for almost a year other than that and when they do, they're going to release two prequels first. Then the story will begin to move forward again almost two years later. That's good pacing.

That makes sense. Like I said, I don't really follow the story much and I've only been playing for a couple years, and regularly for less than that. I wasn't thinking of each set as an independent story, it seems like since Kaladesh or Ixalan or so the story has been pretty focused and each set has been the next chapter in a continuing story. But looking back at older sets I can see how the Marvel analogy makes sense.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Chandra is a fine focus for them to do in M20 and I hope they do get away from Gatewatch member-centric stuff and tie in other characters and worlds more often going forward.

But they've setup several story threads for us to follow post-WAR that I hope prove worth following.

1. Kaya chasing Liliana​
2. Ral chasing Tezzeret​
3. Vraska chasing Dovin​
I'd be surprised if one of those three doesn't take center stage in the block post M20. That's not even counting the setup with Davriel they did in the Sanderson story or any other threads they left dangling over the years.

This is an exciting time for Magic story, uncertainty has an allure.

Oct 28, 2017
Chandra is a fine focus for them to do in M20 and I hope they do get away from Gatewatch member-centric stuff and tie in other characters and worlds more often going forward.

But they've setup several story threads for us to follow post-WAR that I hope prove worth following.

1. Kaya chasing Liliana​
2. Ral chasing Tezzeret​
3. Vraska chasing Dovin​
I'd be surprised if one of those three doesn't take center stage in the block post M20. That's not even counting the setup with Davriel they did in the Sanderson story or any other threads they left dangling over the years.

This is an exciting time for Magic story, uncertainty has an allure.

I expect them to stomp all over the potential, but I sure hope they don't. It could be really amazing. I've only returned to Magic in the past few years, but as a kid I bought at least one fat pack per expansion just to get access to the books. Storytelling through cards is such a cool concept and Wizards does it remarkably well. They just need to tell a good story.

Magic Story - The Gathering Storm - Chapter Two
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Oh whoops, forgot to read this earlier. Got chapter two of The Gathering Storm (WAR prequel that was clearly meant to be released during Guilds of Ravnica and Ravnica Allegiance) via email.
* We see Jarad at Golgari HQ, and I realize now that the Golgari didn't actually do much during WAR, did they?
* The Erstwhile have been awakened, but Jarad and other high ranking elves are simply using them as servants, finding them much more beautiful and graceful than their normal rot zombies.
* A troll smashes their way into Jarad's room, and Vraska steps out from behind them, still in pirate gear. Several kraul are with her, including Mazirek and a telepath named Xeddick.
* Jarad's guards attack them, but are killed. Then his Erstwhile servants are sent to attack Vraska and the others, under the command of Storrev, Devkarin Lich. But he's working with Vraska (something told to her by Bolas, but she didn't know for sure until now), and instead has the Erstwhile kill all the other high ranking elves.
* Jarad says he must be kept alive because of the things he knows that no one else does, but Xeddick extracts all that from his mind. Then Vraska turns Jarad to stone.

* Kaya sneaks into Orzhov HQ, having been hired to kill the Ghost Council by Bolas.
* Not sure what this is referring to, but as payment for this job, Bolas promised to fix "the broken sky".
* While sneaking outside, Kaya made sure to look closely at any gargoyles before stepping on them to make sure they weren't the kind that wake up, but she forgets to do this when sneaking past some guards in a hallway, and this gargoyle moves.
* Through complicated use of incorporeality, she gets a grip on the wall and grabs the gargoyle's tongue so it doesn't sound the alarm. She stabs it in the neck, using her powers to get her knife through its stone skin, then gets back inside.
* She prefers avoiding killing anyone but her targets.
* She enters a room, intentionally triggering a trap to summon a vengeful spirit to attack her. She kills it, to its shock.
* Kaya meets with Teysa and Tomik. Teysa is imprisoned there; I assumed Tomik was too, but it seems like he isn't, and is there to act as Teysa's assistant.
* Kaya's assignment was to help Teysa take control of Ozhov; Kaya doesn't know enough about Orzhov to know where to go from here, so she defers to Teysa.
* Teysa explains that breaking her out at this point would be bad, since if the Ghost Council is destroyed after she's rescued, then everyone would assume she was behind it and that would make her claim to lead weaker.
* Teysa referring to the head of the Ghost Council as "Grandfather" (since he's her biological grandfather) leads to this line: Kaya, whose family relationships could be best described as "complicated," tried to imagine what it would be like if clan elders persisted indefinitely into undeath.
* The Ghost Council meets in the Catacombs, several floors below ground. It will be difficult to get in and out.
* Teysa says that Tomik will provide Kaya with details later.
* Guards rush in, so Kaya phases through the wall and leaves.

This continues to be much more enjoyable than the actual WAR novel.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Finally got a group together to play EDH and man that shit is fun. I mostly play EDH 1v1 because I have no friends so it's quite the treat. We played a really dumb 6 player game that we had to stop after 2 hours because the shop we were in was closing.
Now I'm thinking about brewing a Mathas politics deck specifically for multiplayer. I could have a 7th deck, right?

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Did everyone else forget that Chandra was also the "lead" of M14?
Jace, Chandra and Liliana have always been the most popular characters (in that order), so they've all been the face of many sets. My point is that there's a clear push to make Chandra a bigger deal than Jace. It's likely that they believe Chandra has wider appeal to the general public than Jace, who would have greater appeal to the typical gamer.

Status
Not open for further replies.