• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mythic losses are brutal. I dropped a game, fell 80, won two, jumped 70, dropped one, fell like 80, for a net of -80 or so for going 2-2!

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think WotC regret giving Savjz a MPL slot now there's an auto chess clone arms race starting

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Play Design Q&A
* "Play Design does the bulk of its work roughly one year before a set is released. Right now, in May 2019, the newest set we are playtesting Standard for is the spring 2020 set. We are able to change cards that are in the newest set and the one right before it. This means that if we wanted to make a card now after seeing real-world War of the Spark Standard results, that card won't see print until winter 2020."
* Their philosophy for keeping games fun is to provide interaction points at most points of the game. Put answers to threats in all colors and spread them across the mana curve. Give cards different play patterns at different points in the game.
* Narset was put in to counter Hydroid Krasis, and also work as an answer in older formats.
* They pulled back on combos after Kaladesh, but now they're bringing them back. Ral + Expansion was a deliberate seed for a combo deck.
* They want control decks to have faster win conditions, and not the Teferi "tuck until you mill your opponent" pattern. Chromium was meant to play this role in this Standard, but it proved weaker than expected. They'll take the lessons from this Standard and apply them to the future.
* Nexus of Fate is looking fine in best-of-3, so they don't intend to ban it yet.
* For the sake of best-of-1, they're going to make aggro one-drops weaker, make more cards with niche effects that can still be mainboarded (like Kraul Harpooner and Knight of Autumn), and add more card selection effects.

Also, I think it's time to start voting on thread titles.

Before the Chandra reveal:
MTG 2K20 [OT] Music Curated by Pharell Williams
Magic: The Gathering | OT | Core 2020 - Free Eyesight Test Included
MTG OT M20 - Now on London time
MTG OT M20 - A bad mulligan in London is better than a good mulligan in Vancouver
Magic: The Gathering | OT | Core 2020 - Core-y in the House
Magic: The Gathering | OT | Core 2020 - Reprint Bolt You Cowards
Magic: The Gathering | OT | Core 2020 - No Nicols left to spend
Magic: The Gathering | OT | Core 2020 - Barbara Walters: 5-color PW
Magic: The Gathering | OT | Core 2020 - Garruk's Great Return
Magic: The Gathering | OT | Core 2020 - Nothing to see here
Magic: The Gathering | OT | Core 2020 - We Finished the Apple, time to Choke Down the Core
Magic: The Gathering | OT | Core 2020 - Perfect Vision
Magic: The Gathering | OT | Core 2020 - Where in the Multiverse is Elspeth Sandiago?
Magic: The Gathering | OT | Core 2020 - London's Mulligan Will Return in "Scryfall"
Magic: The Gathering | OT | Core 2020 - The Year is 20XX
| OT | Core 2020 - Tighter Than A Corset
|OT| Core 2020 - WAR is Over (If You Want It)
Magic: The Gathering |OT| Core 2020 - Please Clap
Magic: The Gathering |OT| Core 2020 - Core-ny as heck

Post-Chandra:
Magic: The Gathering | OT | Core 2020 - Children of the Core-n
Magic: The Gathering | OT | Core 2020 - The Kids Are Alright
|OT| Fiery Hot Redheads
|OT| RHW- Red Head Wins
Red Head Redemption
| OT | Core 2020 - Includes 300% more Chandra
Red Head Wins
|OT| Three Hot Redheads in Coresets

Ones that got positive responses:
Magic: The Gathering | OT | Core 2020 - London's Mulligan Will Return in "Scryfall"
Red Head Wins

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017

The interesting thing here is the "In PAPER" part. Doing Remastered blocks designed for drafting is a great way to put out a supplamental product (which it seems like they want to do more often now)

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Play Design Q&A
* Their philosophy for keeping games fun is to provide interaction points at most points of the game. Put answers to threats in all colors and spread them across the mana curve. Give cards different play patterns at different points in the game.

This was the biggest problem with BFZ-KLD standard- a deliberate removal of answers to allow overly-pushed story cards to thrive. Glad that they are understanding that all colors need answers, and the fact that they randomly are adding hate riders to cards to allow for Best-of-one play is one of the smartest things they have done in years

* They want control decks to have faster win conditions, and not the Teferi "tuck until you mill your opponent" pattern. Chromium was meant to play this role in this Standard, but it proved weaker than expected. They'll take the lessons from this Standard and apply them to the future.
I have been thinking ever since it became clear Arena was a hit was that they needed to take a page from Hearthstone and have a core set that doesn't feature that much rotation. I haven't logged into hearthstone in over a year now, but I know that all my cards from the classic set would at least allow me to play a game if I wanted. With Arena, it's entirely possible that you leave the game for 15 months and you literally don't have the ability to make a standard decks because you only have 2 dozen cards that are even legal in the format. The last decade, WOTC has done a lot of change for the sake of change- see Incinerate in M12, Searing Spear in M13 and Lightning Strike in M14 or Llanowar Elves in M12, Arbor Druid in M13 and Elvish Mystic in M14 as examples of what they should not be doing anymore!

My hope is that they take a proven control finisher- Pearl Lake Ancient is a fine example- and just keep it in standard for years

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
So, remember when they changed GPs to "Magicfests" and we thought "maybe they will be more like cons?"
Well... they have a defense contractor with a table at the Magicfest in Virginia this weekend

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Did a Modern Horizons draft tonight, went 3-0 and lost only one game with Green-White 2/2s. I had an excellent curve, lots of action. The white suspend dude (yeah yeah he's a 3/3) was a great closer. The 3-cmc bear-making enchantment that I played only once for two bears was still awesome.

Standout card that really made the deck sing was Winding Way, of which I had two. So much value for so little mana, got me action when I needed it or cleared lands out of the way, got me lands when I needed them. Just super good.

Was a fun format but it was an expensive draft so I don't know how much more of it I'll be doing.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Oh right, need to make the M20 thread today. Going with "Red Head Wins", and because Wizards refuses to release any art, I'll just use Modern Horizons card art for the banners.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, it was pointed out to me that "Red Head Wins" is a pretty problematic title for those who aren't aware of the "red deck wins" term, so I'll go with Magic: The Gathering | OT | Core 2020 - London's Mulligan Will Return in "Scryfall"

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Actually, it was pointed out to me that "Red Head Wins" is a pretty problematic title for those who aren't aware of the "red deck wins" term, so I'll go with Magic: The Gathering | OT | Core 2020 - London's Mulligan Will Return in "Scryfall"
I don't think that should matter? I guess if the title is to draw non Magic people in then maybe. But I would argue London's Mulligan is equally exclusive but simply more cumbersome.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
It's more about people thinking it's about ranking women.

That seems like a stretch. If I knew nothing about the game I would assume it means a red-headed woman won something. People who post here aren't dumb, thread titles very often contain some sort of pun or joke, and a sexist thread title would not allowed on this forum.

What's the joke with the London Mulligan thread title? I Googled Scryfall and it looks like it's a site you can use to search cards.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
That seems like a stretch. If I knew nothing about the game I would assume it means a red-headed woman won something. People who post here aren't dumb, thread titles very often contain some sort of pun or joke, and a sexist thread title would not allowed on this forum.

What's the joke with the London Mulligan thread title? I Googled Scryfall and it looks like it's a site you can use to search cards.
0.jpg

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Thread draft

M20_header2.png

Previous thread
Arena thread
Product info
Card image gallery
Next set: ???
Story archive

MTG_Discord_invite_3.png

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Welcome to the Multiverse!

Magic: the Gathering is a Trading Card Game, the first of its kind, developed by Richard Garfield and his playtesters for the gaming company Wizards of the Coast in 1993. You and your opponents play the role of dueling planeswalkers, wizards able to travel between dimensions known as planes to gather unique magic. Using customized decks made up of your spells, the creatures you can summon, your mana bonds with lands, and even other planeswalkers you can call in to help out, you try to defeat your foes.

Magic constantly travels to different worlds with their own gimmicks, such as a focus on artifacts or multicolored cards, but Core Sets are for beginners to experience Magic at its, well, core. This is the perfect place to start the game, but for experienced players, it can also be enjoyable to play plain and simple Magic. For more experienced players, you can check out Modern Horizons, released recently. Most of the banner art in this thread is from that, actually >_>.

With this set, it takes a break from the ongoing story, but that doesn't mean there's no story. Instead, we're getting additional backstory for Chandra, the red-headed fire mage.

This set also brings a significant change to the mulligan system. With the London Mulligan, if you don't like your opening hand, you can shuffle it back into your library and draw seven new cards. This is a mulligan. Then if you keep your hand, you choose cards equal to the number of mulligans you have performed from your hand and put them on the bottom of your library. So if you keep after one mulligan, you draw seven cards and then you choose one card and put it on the bottom of your library, leaving you with six cards in hand. On the second mulligan, you draw seven and put two cards on the bottom of your library, leaving you with five cards. This is a change from the old system, where you only draw seven minus the number mulligan you're on and then scry 1. The new system makes it more reasonable to go down to a five card hand (two mulligans).

Note that the majority of discussion happens on Discord now, but we'll be available for any questions here.

GETTING STARTED
Official guide to starting Magic

To see what a game is like, check out Geek and Sundry's Spellslinger series, where Day[9] battles various geek celebrities, often losing, using simple and easy to follow decks.

For the digital card game, you can play Magic Arena potentially for free. It has its own thread. Though it's now discontinued in light of Magic Arena, Magic Duels is still available to download for a single player Magic experience, and it can help a lot for figuring out the rules.

For the physical card game, there are many ways to get on board. If you go to a local game store (LGS), the owner will give you a simple Welcome Deck for free, after demonstrating how to play the game. The Spellslinger Starter Kit has two simple decks that you do not shuffle so you and a friend can get a guided tour through how a game of Magic can work. Planeswalker Decks are pre-constructed decks with four brand new cards, including unique planeswalker cards and one additional booster pack. While not particularly strong, they will allow you to actually play casual games. Challenger Decks will allow you to compete in Standard tournaments using real decks for, before release, much cheaper than buying the cards individually.

If you want to build your own deck, a Deckbuilder's Toolkit will give you a decent starting collection of cards, including 125 semi-random cards, basic lands, four booster packs, and perhaps most importantly, a good box for your cards.

Game stores will hold Magic Open House events specifically meant for new players, with people there to give you Welcome Decks and play teaching games. Experienced players are also encouraged to participate and help beginners, and everyone will get a promotional card for attending.

The big thing to look forward to, however, is the Prerelease event held for every set. You play using the Sealed format, where every player is given a box with six booster packs and a random additional rare card. From this pool of cards, all of which you keep, each player builds a deck of 40 cards and participates in a Swiss-system tournament. This is a fun and casual event, where everyone is still trying to figure out the set, so don't worry about messing up. In addition to normal duels, there are also Two-Headed Giant events, where you pair up with another player and face off against another team.

Magic Open House events will be on June 29–30, 2019. Prerelease events will be held on July 5–7, 2019. Call your local game store a few days ahead of time to register for the Prerelease, or they might just run out of room. Find local game stores here.

M20_details.png

Number of Cards: ???
Magic Open House: June 29–30, 2019
Arena Release: July 4, 2019
Prerelease Weekend: July 5–7, 2019
Release Date: July 12, 2019
Draft Weekend: July 13–14, 2019
Card image gallery

As part of the onboarding process for beginners, Core Set 2019 has not just one, not two, but five Planeswalker Decks, all focusing on a single color. Planeswalker Decks are great if you're just starting out and want a deck to practice with. Each deck comes with a booster pack, and they run for $10.99 MSRP.

The focus of this set is Chandra's backstory, so we get not one, not two, but three different Chandra planeswalker cards. Plus another one in a Planeswalker Deck.

chandranovicepyromancer.jpg
chandraacolyteofflame.jpg
chandraawakenedinferno.jpg

So yup, not only are we getting multiple Chandras, but the cards even encourage playing them with each other. So it's Chandra tribal! Oh, elementals too, I suppose.

SCHEDULE
Premier events schedule

Core Set 2020
Magic Open House: June 29–30, 2019
Arena Release: July 4, 2019
Prerelease Weekend: July 5–7, 2019
Release Date: July 12, 2019
Draft Weekend: July 13–14, 2019

RESOURCES
Official articles - Nicknamed the Mothership, these articles are the primary source of news. Recommended columns are Making Magic, written by the head designer, Mark Rosewater (aka MaRo); Magic Story, which tells the story, written by various authors; and Play Design, written by various Magic developers. The other articles generally discuss deck building.
Card image gallery - Best way to see all of the spoiled cards together, but only updates once a day.
Blogatog - Tumblr ran by Mark Rosewater where he answers questions, updates very frequently.
Drive to Work - Mark Rosewater's weekly podcast about Magic that he literally records as he drives to work. Two episodes are released every Friday.
MTG Reddit - The best place to get new card information. The community sucks, though.
Gatherer - The official method of searching through released cards. Has autocomplete.
Scryfall - The better search method, with bigger cards, but it doesn't have autocomplete.
Game store locator

M20_stinger.png

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Looks good. I might recommend you use white text with black outline on the main title image and the Force of Negation one. The text is a bit hard to read. Or not, because I know it's a bit of a pain to go back and reupload stuff haha. Always appreciate your work here.

Status
Not open for further replies.