• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who do you side with more?

• Professor X

Votes: 80 37.0%
  • Magneto

Votes: 136 63.0%

• Total voters

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
The issue of who is right or wrong between Professor X and Magneto with regards to mutans is one of the X-Men's longest running character driven conflict. Between their ideas who do you side with more:

Professor X:

wp2347341.jpg

or Magneto:

d1uzg71-b1b4ac8e-8dce-4b42-ad4b-369140bdae70.jpg

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The X-Men as a franchise and as characters lack any point if Xavier is wrong. Magneto had his character arc in the 80s dedicated to realizing his actions were wrong and that peace had a chance.

So, naturally, the comics have spent the last twenty or so years shitting all over Xavier's dream.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Can't really side with the guy who wants to genocide the whole human race. I'm sure edgy nihilists will see he wins the poll though.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Mags.

The X-Men as a franchise and as characters lack any point if Xavier is wrong. Magneto had his character arc in the 80s dedicated to realizing his actions were wrong and that peace had a chance.

So, naturally, the comics have spent the last twenty or so years shitting all over Xavier's dream.
The real world has done a pretty good job of shitting on Xavier's dream without bringing the comics into it.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That could be a point in and of itself

It sucks.

X-Men have gone from protecting a world that hates and fears them, secure in the knowledge that their actions will one day make the difference they all strive for, to Magneto and the Maker Xavier gallivanting about how humans suck and the dream is dead. Screw that.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Really depends on incarnation

In most cases, I'd say with Professor X easily enough. As a disabled person I kinda have to bank on that hope being real, while Magneto's ideals are self-defeating and betray his own ego. But for the comics... well, Kitty Pryde put it best

bf4bc6c283ff8126c63766acf81ff58d16408230_hq-255x300.jpg

Seriously, some of the baggage there is nuts

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
Neither are right but Charles is closer to the truth. Magneto not only learned the wrong lessons of WWII but doesn't understand you can't do open war against the ruling race/species. The humans have too much money and tech to challenge them. They also have the numbers to win.

* yes I know mutants are humans

BlueGeezer

Oct 28, 2017
Neither are right but Charles is closer to the truth. Magneto not only learned the wrong lessons of WWII but doesn't understand you can't do open war against the ruling race/species. They have too much money and tech to challenge them. They also have the numbers to win.
I think it's clear that if all mutants united from the off they would win though?

May 26, 2018
To be honest it's been a while since I've read X-Men so I could be out of date...

I wish I could side with Magneto, he's got a lot of feelings right and understands the stakes. But in most stories the dude's less interested in freeing/protecting mutants and more interested in mutants ruling with an iron fist or straight up annihilating mankind. He's the dark side of how one adapts to trauma.

Professor X is likewise too soft and naive at times, but at least the dude doesn't seem to be a fucking murderous authoritarian. He may not have the answer, but the ones who do could be taught by him and come to a better conclusion that isn't his and also isn't Magneto's.

Last edited:

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Probably a little more Magneto these days. I do question myself on that preference all the time.

EDIT: but yes, Cyclops has proven to be the best of them all

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Magneto. He's been up front about what he wants, has been always been the one fighting for mutants.

Professor X has traditionally been the respectability politics leader trying to integrate instead of letting mutants be mutants. That, and he's shady as fuck.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Originally, Professor X was right while Magneto was becoming the exact thing he hated about humans.

Nowadays, every mutants sadly became cultist assholes.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Originally, Professor X was right while Magneto was becoming the exact thing he hated about humans.

Nowadays, every mutants sadly became cultist assholes.
Yeah, who the fuck do they think they are, banding together to not suffer a third genocide in less than two decades? Uppity pricks, giving humanity extended lifespans and better health at the cost of *checks notes* letting their sovereign nation, itself a mutant, stand as sovereign and being smug!

They should have stayed in their place, defending humanity thanklessly and hoping we'd eventually treat them like people instead of literally building death machines to hunt their children.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Yeah, who the fuck do they think they are, banding together to not suffer a third genocide in less than two decades? Uppity pricks, giving humanity extended lifespans and better health at the cost of *checks notes* letting their sovereign nation, itself a mutant, stand as sovereign and being smug!

They should have stayed in their place, defending humanity thanklessly and hoping we'd eventually treat them like people instead of literally building death machines to hunt their children.

Hey, no need to be aggro.
I just don't like cults lol
Also, didn't they pretty much genocided themselves most of the time ? Like with Scarlet Witch for example ? The Terrigen cloud is awful tho, fuck the inhumans.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, no need to be aggro.
I just don't like cults lol
Also, didn't they pretty much genocided themselves most of the time ? Like with Scarlet Witch for example ? The Terrigen cloud is awful tho, fuck the inhumans.
Scarlet Witch isn't a mutant and, while she took their powers away and stopped new mutants being born, she didn't kill any of them (except the ones whose powerless state left them in deadly situations).

I'm talking Genosha, where the US Government's Wild Sentinel project was used by Cassandra Nova to kill sixteen million mutants.

Which era?

60's Magneto was ideologically right but Xavier was doing it right.
Moon Magneto? I would totally pull a Colossus.

In general I think God loves Man kills settles the debate nicely.

Also cyclops made the mistakes both did with non the good.

Deleted member 11046

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The reboot makes it clear neither Magneto's or Xavier's visions were the answer. The question seems moot with the current iteration of X-Men comics.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Scarlet Witch isn't a mutant and, while she took their powers away and stopped new mutants being born, she didn't kill any of them (except the ones whose powerless state left them in deadly situations).

I'm talking Genosha, where the US Government's Wild Sentinel project was used by Cassandra Nova to kill sixteen million mutants.
Such a dumbass retcon