• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should the portrayal of Female Protagonist change?

• Portraying Female protagonist are oke as they are now

Votes: 17 3.0%
  • Portraying Female protagonist have to change

Votes: 72 12.8%
  • Let them do whatever they want

Votes: 474 84.2%

• Total voters

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
It's a game. Stop over thinking stuff and play the games.

This is the issue with gaming at the moment. People don't focus enough on the gameplay and how it hasn't evolved this gen besides a select few games. But all they care about is if their characters are going to have sex or not.

To be fair I did bought Witcher 3 thinking it'll be a great Fucking Simulator but instead I got the best open world RPG ever made.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Me on Era today:
YyPsZhW.jpg

Last edited:

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
OP, never play Yakuza series. If those examples bother you then you'll be devastated when you get around to Yakuza 6.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They kiss each other in the DLC which I think is suitable for characters.
They like each other and it's a kiss, but when Ellie was kissing in the Last of Us: Part 2 trailer it felt awkward. Maybe I saw Ellie as my daughter and now she was kissing some character (which we know not much about yet) who has an ex boyfriend standing there watching them.
Ellie is a strong independent woman why does she has to be in a situation like that?
Also that scene gave me the feeling that we might see Ellie even kissing more characters. I don't have problem with her kissing it's just not the way to showcase main female protagonists like that

giphy.gif

Deleted member 9714

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do you think a lot of these thoughts are influenced by your religion? How conservative are you / how traditional is your family?

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wat is s*x? 😳

Sry my mom won't tell me heehee 🥶

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
If I'm playing a story based game with a female protagonist, then there's nothing wrong with her having a relationship that's sexual in nature.

I played Kassandra in AC:O and banged everyone I could find, male or female lol. I appreciated the option to let me do such a thing being there, and think more games should do the same.

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol came into this thread expecting something different. I feel games shy away from a girl protag having a romantic interest (likely because some guys have trouble with the notion of their character kissing a guy if I had to guess). I think this is silly, and I'd like to see more games with romance focused from the girl perspective. For instance, I love the portrayal of Ellie in Left Behind/what we've seen in LoU2, and Kat from Gravity Rush was another great example imo.
see, this is the conversation I expected this thread to be.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Let me start by saying who I am so you all might get a view of who the thread starter is before viewing my opinion about female protagonist.
I'm 31 years old male and gaming since the age of 5. I'm a muslim born in The Netherlands. I prefer to play Singleplayer games which are story driven.
I worked 7 years in a gameshop and still follow all games although I have trouble keeping up these days with Moba's and Battle Royale games.

I love playing games no matter what the sex is of a character. I think developers need to seek the best possible situation for when a male or female character can be used.
Not make it a male or female character for the sake of it.

Everything what developers do when it comes to gender is fine, but when I see that my lady character is getting touched, intended or not intended I feel like ''Hey don't touch her''
or why do they need to be touched? With male characters this is not happening as it doesn't bother me till a degree. An example of when it bothers me is like in Uncharted 2.
When Drake is found together with Chloe, while we all know that he has something going on for Elena.

Aloy from Horizon is a strong character. When she will find any love in the second game (if we get one) it has to be a well developed character which fits with her character.
Male or female doesn't matter aslong as the character she will fall in love suits her strong personality.
Sadie Adler not a main protagonist from a recently game is a strong woman. Hoping we might see more woman like her in future games. (Hoping for DLC with her)

When Lara had that rape scene (we all discussed that) I had the feeling ''why do they need to do this?''. Gamemagazines mentioned also that the game and movie industry almost always put woman in rape situations before they're getting strong and powerful. Why do we need situations like this?

Another example is a scene of the gameplay trailer of Cyberpunk 2077. Although there is no rape here thankfully.
Why does our character which is the main protagonist need to have sex with a totally stranger to be(come) a badass character. She already looks cool and strong.
If this was a scene with the male character I wouldn't have bothered with it, but also not clapped for the guy. I would have said useless to put it in a game.
Something says though it might suit this game to have sex with multiple characters instead of like...
...Mass Effect where the developers search every possible excuse to let their characters have sex with anyone and anything.

Before I continue, believe me I have seen lots of nudity as we're exposed to that daily in the media, internet and everywhere else in The Netherlands and I have no problem with that all whatsoever. I'm also not asexual or against any kind of sexual course. Everyone can do what they want, but that's not the subject now.

I said I wouldn't be bothered if it was the male character having sex in Cyberpunk 2077, but also not clapped for him. It bothers me though to see Geralt having sex with all the women in the game and including our lady gamers clapping their hands when it comes to him. He is already a powerful male character he doesn't need to be like Kratos... Kratos in the latest God of War with Atreus not included in this debate. Which was storywise superb.

I can't think of anything which can substantiate the situation the women characters are put in or I have some issues and am thinking too deep.

I will give one last example which makes the characters also more varied.
In The Last of Us we all know how Ellie feels towards Riley. They kiss each other in the DLC which I think is suitable for characters.
They like each other and it's a kiss, but when Ellie was kissing in the Last of Us: Part 2 trailer it felt awkward. Maybe I saw Ellie as my daughter and now she was kissing some character (which we know not much about yet) who has an ex boyfriend standing there watching them.
Ellie is a strong independent woman why does she has to be in a situation like that?
Also that scene gave me the feeling that we might see Ellie even kissing more characters. I don't have problem with her kissing it's just not the way to showcase main female protagonists like that.
Yikes at this Bas

Velka

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm also not asexual or against any kind of sexual course. Everyone can do what they want, but that's not the subject now.
Being asexual does not mean that sex repulses you, it's a whole spectrum that can be very veeery varied.
It bothers me though to see Geralt having sex with all the women in the game and including our lady gamers clapping their hands when it comes to him. He is already a powerful male character he doesn't need to be like Kratos... Kratos in the latest God of War with Atreus not included in this debate. Which was storywise superb.

Why is it worse that Geralt, a likeable character that has developed romances and good scenes that is appreciated by both women and queer men to old Kratos that had QTE mini games that were frankly, incredibly uncomfortable. (who was not desired by men and women, I just can't put my finger on it)
Because a strong indendent woman can kiss whoever she likes, case closed.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Maybe a bit OT but I remember some Japanese gamers getting real pissed when a visual novel game had the main heroine get with someone that wasn't the main character. It got so bad that the studio that made the game had to actually close down because people were vandalising their property and harassing them.

Waifu culture was a mistake.

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
Reading the thread title I assumed this would be a thread about games like Horizon going out of its way to avoid the topic, but uh, yikes. I'll echo the sentiment that, while female protagonists keep getting stronger, they're in need of stronger relationship writing, and stop being worried male players will be turned off by it.

marimo

Oct 25, 2017
Here's what needs to change for female main characters: less sexual assault, more consensual sexual/romantic relationships, more female main characters in general.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
OP, I'm not sure if it's your intent but I get the impression that you feel a degree of possessiveness towards female characters which you don't for male which is the problem behind your discomfort.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
You should play Kassandra in Assassin's Creed Odyssey. I love her classic Greek sexual liberalness. Probably one of my favorite parts in the game is having her flirt with everything that moves. Don't know why but I find it really endearing to have a philandering woman for once where it's played not as a weird fetishistic thing.

OP, never play Yakuza series. If those examples bother you then you'll be devastated when you get around to Yakuza 6.

This is the one case that actually annoyed me. No buildup for their relationship and we just are supposed to accept that's Haruka's baby. I spent half the game thinking surely it was someone else's baby, and couldn't figure out why everyone just accepted the baby as Haruka's. In the end I was okay with their relationship, but it really threw me for a loop. I would have liked to see more of their interactions that led to their relationship blossoming.

Kizuna

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like while OP's post does sound weird as hell, his stream of consciousness also unearths some of the actual hangups that many dudes tend to have in regards to female protagonists hooking up with male NPCs.

Obviously, most wouldn't admit to those feelings and some aren't even fully aware of them (it just feels "off"), but I mean there gotta be some issues that men actually have with this kind of thing, otherwise relationships involving female protagonists would go somewhere more often.
My bet is on "yuck, my self-insert is kissing a man, that's gay" (ironically, that's why action between two women would be perceived better than between a heterosexual couple) and "... wait, am I a cuck now?..".

Jan 10, 2018
I'm struggling to see what your real issue is here. Do you feel protective of women or do you just not trust the people that they sometimes engage with? Or is it something else entirely?

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
This is the one case that actually annoyed me. No buildup for their relationship and we just are supposed to accept that's Haruka's baby. I spent half the game thinking surely it was someone else's baby, and couldn't figure out why everyone just accepted the baby as Haruka's. In the end I was okay with their relationship, but it really threw me for a loop. I would have liked to see more of their interactions that led to their relationship blossoming.
I was actually surprised that they didn't do a "twist" there and it was straight up hers. So I kinda liked that.

Andrew Lucas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Um... what? Actually, I do think female protagonists owning their sexuality is needed. Straight? Even better, just to fly on the face of nerds.

OP
OP
Basarili

Basarili

Oct 27, 2017
Haarlem
There is lots of written stuff in here which teaches me that I still have a lot to learn and that lots of stuff I have written is understood differently then I would have thought.
I also see some posters who have not read everything.

I loved the drama in that my fav series. Also the two of them where a good couple the plot was well made.

Apr 16, 2018
Zero in Drakengard 3 being completely unapologetic about her wants and needs for sex made her vastly more interesting than the many chaste, helpless waifs that litter games throughout history.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Wow...I...uh...expected a totally different topic from the title. Like, on the opposite spectrum of different lmaooo

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
It's like the OP read some feminist critiques but decided to repackage it in the most paternalistic way possible.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Um, I had to read the OP several times. I have a hard time understanding why you feel like you do. But I can just say I will agree that everyone are different. I think female main characters should do whatever fits the story or game. Let them kiss or whatever.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
I was actually surprised that they didn't do a "twist" there and it was straight up hers. So I kinda liked that.

Annoyed may have been too strong a word. In the end I have come around to liking it, but I definitely had some mixed feelings halfway through the game. I played Y6 right after Y5 and it felt like a VERY big jump from her character in Y5 where you basically live the whole idol life. So in some ways I was projecting the problematic standards of the idol industry onto her character that an idol should be pure and chaste. I personally detest that culture in real life, but I always enjoyed how Yakuza leans super hard into the lifestyles it represents. Really it was a better written story than the cop out "oh it's some Yakuza baby" would have been, so I should have given the writers more credit with her characterization.