• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should the portrayal of Female Protagonist change?

• Portraying Female protagonist are oke as they are now

Votes: 17 3.0%
  • Portraying Female protagonist have to change

Votes: 72 12.8%
  • Let them do whatever they want

Votes: 474 84.2%

• Total voters

Basarili

Oct 27, 2017
Haarlem
User banned (1 week): sexism
Let me start by saying who I am so you all might get a view of who the thread starter is before viewing my opinion about female protagonist.
I'm 31 years old male and gaming since the age of 5. I'm a muslim born in The Netherlands. I prefer to play Singleplayer games which are story driven.
I worked 7 years in a gameshop and still follow all games although I have trouble keeping up these days with Moba's and Battle Royale games.

I love playing games no matter what the sex is of a character. I think developers need to seek the best possible situation for when a male or female character can be used.
Not make it a male or female character for the sake of it.

Everything what developers do when it comes to gender is fine, but when I see that my lady character is getting touched, intended or not intended I feel like ''Hey don't touch her''
or why do they need to be touched? With male characters this is not happening as it doesn't bother me till a degree. An example of when it bothers me is like in Uncharted 2.
When Drake is found together with Chloe, while we all know that he has something going on for Elena.

Aloy from Horizon is a strong character. When she will find any love in the second game (if we get one) it has to be a well developed character which fits with her character.
Male or female doesn't matter aslong as the character she will fall in love suits her strong personality.
Sadie Adler not a main protagonist from a recently game is a strong woman. Hoping we might see more woman like her in future games. (Hoping for DLC with her)

When Lara had that rape scene (we all discussed that) I had the feeling ''why do they need to do this?''. Gamemagazines mentioned also that the game and movie industry almost always put woman in rape situations before they're getting strong and powerful. Why do we need situations like this?

Another example is a scene of the gameplay trailer of Cyberpunk 2077. Although there is no rape here thankfully.
Why does our character which is the main protagonist need to have sex with a totally stranger to be(come) a badass character. She already looks cool and strong.
If this was a scene with the male character I wouldn't have bothered with it, but also not clapped for the guy. I would have said useless to put it in a game.
Something says though it might suit this game to have sex with multiple characters instead of like...
...Mass Effect where the developers search every possible excuse to let their characters have sex with anyone and anything.

Before I continue, believe me I have seen lots of nudity as we're exposed to that daily in the media, internet and everywhere else in The Netherlands and I have no problem with that all whatsoever. I'm also not asexual or against any kind of sexual course. Everyone can do what they want, but that's not the subject now.

I said I wouldn't be bothered if it was the male character having sex in Cyberpunk 2077, but also not clapped for him. It bothers me though to see Geralt having sex with all the women in the game and including our lady gamers clapping their hands when it comes to him. He is already a powerful male character he doesn't need to be like Kratos... Kratos in the latest God of War with Atreus not included in this debate. Which was storywise superb.

I can't think of anything which can substantiate the situation the women characters are put in or I have some issues and am thinking too deep.

I will give one last example which makes the characters also more varied.
In The Last of Us we all know how Ellie feels towards Riley. They kiss each other in the DLC which I think is suitable for characters.
They like each other and it's a kiss, but when Ellie was kissing in the Last of Us: Part 2 trailer it felt awkward. Maybe I saw Ellie as my daughter and now she was kissing some character (which we know not much about yet) who has an ex boyfriend standing there watching them.
Ellie is a strong independent woman why does she has to be in a situation like that?
Also that scene gave me the feeling that we might see Ellie even kissing more characters. I don't have problem with her kissing it's just not the way to showcase main female protagonists like that.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everything what developers do when it comes to gender is fine, but when I see that my lady character is getting touched, intended or not intended I feel like ''Hey don't touch her''
or why do they need to be touched? With male characters this is not happening as it doesn't bother me till a degree. An example of when it bothers me is like in Uncharted 2.
When Drake is found together with Chloe, while we all know that he has something going on for Elena.

Yikes

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
We need more sexualy active women protagonists, specially straight ones.

But devs are afraid the male players will feel icky for having their controlled character kiss a dude.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit that opening post. Huh...dude like really? You aren't thinking too deep, I think you aren't thinking enough.

Brink

Dec 18, 2017
I don't know about needing to have sex, but I think there's definitely a need for female characters to have well written romantic relations -sexual or otherwise. I find it weird that the current portrayal of a strong woman is one who doesn't need a partner. It just makes them less relateable.

Oct 26, 2017
The kiss in Last of Us 2 was probably to set up Ellie going on a murder revenge tour throughout America.

But hopefully not!

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Just feels like virtual slut shaming to me for you to say they can't have sex or not dress modestly

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind female characters having sex as long as they have agency and it's their choice and not something where a male or 3rd party characters are shown as being the ones in control (this doesn't strictly just means rape, what i mean is if im playing a female protagonist i want the sex to be something she wants to do, not something she does to please someone else).

For example, I always play Female Shepard in Mass Effect, i have zero problems with her bedding her crew mates.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
I think there are a lot of personal hangups about sex and sexuality that you need to work through independently first.

Then maybe think about that in a visual media perspective later.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm having real trouble following your exact train of thought, but that closing at the very least suggests some hangups you ought to work on man.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Your post basically reads:
"Strong and independent men can fuck but strong and independent women can't"

This post is weird. You're weird.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017

But devs are afraid the male players will feel icky for having their controlled character kiss a dude.

Well the OP is kind of proving that point.

btw. as for Cyberpunk, I think that scene isn't forced but it's a choice instead. And if Aloy gets curious and suddenly wants to bang a random dude just for funsies what's the harm lol, no need to fall in love with a 'well developed character'.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
With all due respect, having read your post, I believe this is more about your perception of female characters than inherently female characters requiring any kind of change in regards to displaying their sexuality.

Brink

Dec 18, 2017
Just feels like virtual slut shaming to me for you to say they can't have sex or not dress modestly
It depends on the context. If you say that Kasumi in DOA looks daft when she fights in a thong, then it isn't slut shaming because it makes no sense for this quiet, traditional Japanese girl to wear that (yes I know she also a ninja, but that isn't really reflected in her personality besides when she actually fights people).

For someone like Skarlett in MK11, it makes a lot more sense because her character is playing up the sultry vampire archetype, and the sexualisation is pretty tasteful. Also her outfit is awesome.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018

Yup, even when a character is female, most people will still use it as an avatar for themselves in some capacity.

"I'm not gay, why's this game making me gay?!"

Mass Effect 1's way of side-stepping this was kinda brilliant in a weird way; Liara's existence and romancability gave straight dudes an "out" while playing a female character whilst not having to really acknowledge it as a gay relationship.

Asari are all the same and don't have a male/female species divide...they just HAPPEN to look like gorgeous blue women.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
In The Last of Us we all know how Ellie feels towards Riley. They kiss each other in the DLC which I think is suitable for characters.
They like each other and it's a kiss, but when Ellie was kissing in the Last of Us: Part 2 trailer it felt awkward. Maybe I saw Ellie as my daughter and now she was kissing some character (which we know not much about yet) who has an ex boyfriend standing there watching them.
Ellie is a strong independent woman why does she has to be in a situation like that?
Also that scene gave me the feeling that we might see Ellie even kissing more characters. I don't have problem with her kissing it's just not the way to showcase main female protagonists like that.

Wtf dude. Your train of thought is completely off the rails. I honestly don't know what else to say after reading your post, specifically the quoted bit here, except to mirror the sentiments by others: you have some issues you need to work out.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
I certainly don't think you have any malicious intentions with this, but I HIGHLY suggest you work out some of the personal hang ups that you obviously have.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
lol came into this thread expecting something different. I feel games shy away from a girl protag having a romantic interest (likely because some guys have trouble with the notion of their character kissing a guy if I had to guess). I think this is silly, and I'd like to see more games with romance focused from the girl perspective. For instance, I love the portrayal of Ellie in Left Behind/what we've seen in LoU2, and Kat from Gravity Rush was another great example imo.

uhhhh, what? I can only see this being an acceptable response if it's assault/harassment.

Last edited:

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this would be a thread about how female protagonists don't have sex in games which is a thing aside from the BioWare games. What i got was yikes.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Let me start by saying who I am so you all might get a view of who the thread starter is before viewing my opinion about female protagonist.
I'm 31 years old male and gaming since the age of 5. I'm a muslim born in The Netherlands. I prefer to play Singleplayer games which are story driven.
I worked 7 years in a gameshop and still follow all games although I have trouble keeping up these days with Moba's and Battle Royale games.

I love playing games no matter what the sex is of a character. I think developers need to seek the best possible situation for when a male or female character can be used.
Not make it a male or female character for the sake of it.

Aloy from Horizon is a strong character. When she will find any love in the second game (if we get one) it has to be a well developed character which fits with her character.
Male or female doesn't matter aslong as the character she will fall in love suits her strong personality.
Sadie Adler not a main protagonist from a recently game is a strong woman. Hoping we might see more woman like her in future games. (Hoping for DLC with her)

When Lara had that rape scene (we all discussed that) I had the feeling ''why do they need to do this?''. Gamemagazines mentioned also that the game and movie industry almost always put woman in rape situations before they're getting strong and powerful. Why do we need situations like this?

Another example is a scene of the gameplay trailer of Cyberpunk 2077. Although there is no rape here thankfully.
Why does our character which is the main protagonist need to have sex with a totally stranger to be(come) a badass character. She already looks cool and strong.
If this was a scene with the male character I wouldn't have bothered with it, but also not clapped for the guy. I would have said useless to put it in a game.
Something says though it might suit this game to have sex with multiple characters instead of like...
...Mass Effect where the developers search every possible excuse to let their characters have sex with anyone and anything.

Before I continue, believe me I have seen lots of nudity as we're exposed to that daily in the media, internet and everywhere else in The Netherlands and I have no problem with that all whatsoever. I'm also not asexual or against any kind of sexual course. Everyone can do what they want, but that's not the subject now.

I said I wouldn't be bothered if it was the male character having sex in Cyberpunk 2077, but also not clapped for him. It bothers me though to see Geralt having sex with all the women in the game and including our lady gamers clapping their hands when it comes to him. He is already a powerful male character he doesn't need to be like Kratos... Kratos in the latest God of War with Atreus not included in this debate. Which was storywise superb.

I can't think of anything which can substantiate the situation the women characters are put in or I have some issues and am thinking too deep.

I will give one last example which makes the characters also more varied.

B03ao79.jpg

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
It depends on the context. If you say that Kasumi in DOA looks daft when she fights in a thong, then it isn't slut shaming because it makes no sense for this quiet, traditional Japanese girl to wear that (yes I know she also a ninja, but that isn't really reflected in her personality besides when she actually fights people).

For someone like Skarlett in MK11, it makes a lot more sense because her character is playing up the sultry vampire archetype, and the sexualisation is pretty tasteful. Also her outfit is awesome.
To say someone wouldn't or shouldnt dress a certain way because of their personality is slut shaming in my book

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I think OP just finds sex scenes in general uncomfortable, at least that's what I got out of his post, at least that's what I hope he's saying in his post.

number8888

Oct 27, 2017
If seeing a female engaging in sexual relations make you uncomfortable, that's your problem not the game.

Oct 27, 2017
It's a game. Stop over thinking stuff and play the games.

This is the issue with gaming at the moment. People don't focus enough on the gameplay and how it hasn't evolved this gen besides a select few games. But all they care about is if their characters are going to have sex or not.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
IMO Devs need to do what they are doing for male protagonist and apply it to female protagonist.

Why should Geralt fuck everything with a pussy and not a female protagonist fucking everything with a penis?