• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Should the portrayal of Female Protagonist change?

• Portraying Female protagonist are oke as they are now

Votes: 17 3.0%
  • Portraying Female protagonist have to change

Votes: 72 12.8%
  • Let them do whatever they want

Votes: 474 84.2%

• Total voters

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
SecondaryGivingDoctorfish-size_restricted.gif

This wounds me, deeply. This is a cursed gif.

SoftTaur

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe I actually sat and read that entire first post just to get to OP wanting to protect the purity of his virtual daughter.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Abstinence is the only way.

I wish OP wasn't banned so we could find out where the hell they were from

Edit : shouldn't have scrolled down so fast.

Last edited:

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
If you mean the residence of OP, then I suggest reading the OP.

I did and I jumped around because it was a mess and missed this. Seeing the ban makes you skim. My bad.

I think the more important thing is his post on the last page. Good that he wasn't permabanned imo. Here it is:

When I saw the first posts I was ohboy this is not what I meant. I think this thread learned me not to make any thread anytime soon which will resolve around a discussion. Mainly due to the language barrier for not being able to correctly express myself. It took me a few hours to make the thread. I just want to make some points clear. - Women can have sex in game (Not sure where I say they can't) - The female characters I'm playing can have sex as long as it suits the context and same counts for male characters, but I think this is where my expression is understand differently. I'm not saying I'm against sex. Maybe I shouldn't have named any gender at all and use any word as ''daughter''. - Lesson learned no difficult threads from me. - I apoligize if I offended people.

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think you guys shat on the poor guy too hard.

He doesn't like sex, period! Doesn't want Ellie or Geralt in sexual situations.
I'd imagine a bit of religious conservatism at play here.

EDIT:

Also, I felt the ban was too harsh, like c'mon.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I don't know if you have a daughter or will ever have, but I might have some bad news for you... Please don't be THAT kind of "dad" "protecting" his "baby girl" from all those "perverts".

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I mean, I also think the OP post is weird as hell but him getting banned without saying a word seems kind of....harsh? It's been like hours since the thread gone up.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I had seen this thread earlier but didn't click on it, now that I have... yikes! That OP is terrible, it reads like what I'd expect an incel to say.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
I mean, I also think the OP post is weird as hell but him getting banned without saying a word seems kind of....harsh? It's been like hours since the thread gone up.
When I saw the first posts I was ohboy this is not what I meant. I think this thread learned me not to make any thread anytime soon which will resolve around a discussion. Mainly due to the language barrier for not being able to correctly express myself.

It took me a few hours to make the thread.

I just want to make some points clear.

- Women can have sex in game (Not sure where I say they can't)
- The female characters I'm playing can have sex as long as it suits the context and same counts for male characters, but I think this is where my expression is understand differently. I'm not saying I'm against sex. Maybe I shouldn't have named any gender at all and use any word as ''daughter''.
- Lesson learned no difficult threads from me.
- I apoligize if I offended people.

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like people deliberately ignored this post to justify dumping on this OP. The fact that I'm in the only one who even quoted this says a lot.

Sounds like a lame excuse after this op. And doesn't make it much better. The topic is about female main characters, he wanted to talk about genders and he stated a few times that he hasn't the same problems when it comes to male characters. What exactly did he expect? Honestly i still kinda think he was trolling.

The female characters I'm playing can have sex as long as it suits the context

If OP was still here i would ask him if Aloy would have to marry her sexpartner in the next game

When she will find any love in the second game (if we get one) it has to be a well developed character which fits with her character.

I said I wouldn't be bothered if it was the male character having sex in Cyberpunk 2077, but also not clapped for him. It bothers me though to see Geralt having sex with all the women in the game and including our lady gamers clapping their hands when it comes to him. He is already a powerful male character he doesn't need to be like Kratos...

You are not forced to have sex in Witcher 3 Op, it's the choice of the player. More power to choices and players. And if ladygamers clap for Geralt more power to them.

but when I see that my lady character is getting touched, intended or not intended I feel like ''Hey don't touch her''
or why do they need to be touched? With male characters this is not happening as it doesn't bother me till a degree.

I can't believe I actually sat and read that entire first post just to get to OP wanting to protect the purity of his virtual daughter.

Should i feel bad if i had to laugh a few times while reading the OP and the answers?

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
The whole "protect the purity of the female MC so the male players can dream about them and/or avoid feeling gay" trend is embarrassing and it blows my mind this thread is about embracing it instead of condemning it.

And OP, you know what you wrote. You repeatedly, explicitly said it would be fine with male characters but not female.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
If you're reading this OP, we don't think you're a bad person, but you certainly need to ditch that weird mindset. Also that OP post was way too long for what it is.
You know, one week ban really isn't so bad, perfect time for some The Division 2.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
i'm playing hatoful boyfriend at the moment

that's a game where you play a hunter-gatherer vit girl that allows you to have sweet romance with a vast array of dreamy male characters

dreamy anime dude pigeons

like this dreamy narcoleptic teacher pigeon:
yfko3.png

i don't think you can have any sex though. because of the whole you're a human, they're a pigeon thing. it would probably be a bit awkward.

but that sure is a dreamy anime dude pigeon!

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
When I saw the first posts I was ohboy this is not what I meant. I think this thread learned me not to make any thread anytime soon which will resolve around a discussion. Mainly due to the language barrier for not being able to correctly express myself.

- The female characters I'm playing can have sex as long as it suits the context and same counts for male characters, but I think this is where my expression is understand differently. I'm not saying I'm against sex. Maybe I shouldn't have named any gender at all and use any word as ''daughter''.

I don't think this was ban-worthy, this could have been an opportunity to teach someone who was willing to talk and listen. This is much different from a drive-by post or an intended hate post, and I think OP deserved a discussion to try and steer him the right direction, not a dogpile.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
The whole "protect the purity of the female MC so the male players can dream about them and/or avoid feeling gay" trend is embarrassing and it blows my mind this thread is about embracing it instead of condemning it.

And OP, you know what you wrote. You repeatedly, explicitly said it would be fine with male characters but not female.

And yet not one single member supports the ideas he puts forth in OP. Problem is that there has not been a thread that covers condemning it either (at least recently). The notion does get discussed around whenever the topic of female MC and romance come up, however.

At its core, however, this problem pervades pop culture in patriarchal society due to the fact that historically, representation of women have been very narrow and with puritan values. Straying from sexual purity was seldom shown in positive or neutral light.

In games, as aforementioned, historically, independent strong woman were still created through perspective of men to sell to other men making the women mostly objects of desire or waifus and writing these women as having romantic partners would have shattered that illusion. Over the years, romance in games, where players have agency to sleep with in one or more NPC, have been dreadfully shallow and gamified to the point where they feel utterly cheap. Devs should just call it what it is- a booty call or one night stand or friends with benefits (and there is nothing wrong with it between two consenting adults).

Point is, more games need to feature well written female protagonists so that relating to them regardless of the player gender become a common place occurrence just like it has been for male protagonists. Furthermore, if a game tries to pursue true romance, I feel it is best to leave it at the hands of writers to avoid cheap gamification. True romance takes time and circumstances to develop that are both dependent and independent on and of the actions of the protagonist, respectively.

I did and I jumped around because it was a mess and missed this. Seeing the ban makes you skim. My bad.

I think the more important thing is his post on the last page. Good that he wasn't permabanned imo. Here it is:

No worries.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have receipts but I'm very positive I remember a developer admitting they don't create female characters with a romantic male interest engage in sex in games because it would make dudes feel weird. Even in games with choices, like say Mass Effect, I wouldn't be surprised if most FemShep players go with female choices.

I can count the amount of (mandatory) sex scenes in games that I felt added to the game on one hand. But for this, do it. We need to get over it, and hopefully it being a regular occurrence would help it get there.

I've played FemShep's and romanced dudes. Played a female Fallout character and romanced a male npc. I don't feel weird doing it. I don't think I'm actually a space marine saving the universe, sooo why should romancing a male character make me feel weird?

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
in final fantasy x-2 you play a woman who gets serially sexually harassed by her cousin, and not a single person protests about how inappropriate and traumatizing the whole situation must be for her

so at least that aspect of women's sexual experiences is covered in games

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Putting Gender to the side for the moment, I really just hate non-optional sex scenes in general.
The one in Wolfenstein for example, felt unessisary and made me uncomfortable. A sex scene isn't really what I want in my nazi killing game.
If you are gonna put sex scenes in a game, make it optional please Devs.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Putting Gender to the side for the moment, I really just hate non-optional sex scenes in general.
The one in Wolfenstein for example, felt unessisary and made me uncomfortable. A sex scene isn't really what I want in my nazi killing game.
If you are gonna put sex scenes in a game, make it optional please Devs.

My God. The puritanism and sexism in this thread is incredible. If you don't want to play games with non-optional sex scenes then don't play those games. Don't expect creators to cater to your prudish sesnibilities. Maybe just live life in as tiny of a bubble as you can if sex makes you uncomfortable.

I'll add that if sex makes you uncomfortable, but violence doesn't...you need to seek therapy now. That is textbook psychopathic behavior that needs to be addressed.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
My God. The puritanism and sexism in this thread is incredible. If you don't want to play games with non-optional sex scenes then don't play those games. Don't expect creators to cater to your prudish sesnibilities. Maybe just live life in as tiny of a bubble as you can if sex makes you uncomfortable.

I'll add that if sex makes you uncomfortable, but violence doesn't...you need to seek therapy now. That is textbook psychopathic behavior that needs to be addressed.
Woah dude, what's with the all out attack?
I just prefer to have a sense of consent in any sex scenes. "Just don't play games with non-optional sex scenes." There is NO way of knowing about the sex scene in Wolfenstein before hand. It's not the kind of game I would expect one in, so it felt forced to me.

I also don't appreciate being called a psychopath.

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
User Warned: inflammatory ad-hominem commentary regarding mental health
Woah dude, what's with the all out attack?
I just prefer to have a sense of consent in any sex scenes. "Just don't play games with non-optional sex scenes." There is NO way of knowing about the sex scene in Wolfenstein before hand. It's not the kind of game I would expect one in, so it felt forced to me.

I also don't appreciate being called a psychopath.

Not attacking. Just concerned for your mental well-being. Just stay away from M-rated games if M-rated content makes you uncomfortable. They were telling a story and there is a definite payoff to the sex scene. If all you view it as is a game where you shoot nazis then you clearly didn't pay attention the story at all to the point where I'm baffled that you even noticed the sex scene. Again, if that is the part of that particular game that made you uncomfortable, you should really seek help.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017

I'm quoting this because I hope you can read this when your ban ends.

You went out of your way to mention that you were a 31-year-old Dutch Muslim. Forgive me if this is a personal question, but would you say you were raised in a traditional Muslim family? I ask because several of your comments, especially you referring to Ellie as "like a daughter", reek of the kind of papa-wolf "I must protect the women" machismo I have seen in many conservative religious households.

I believe you are coming from a genuinely good place. I think you are making a deliberate effort to take in feminist teachings. What I think is happening, what you are feeling and what this thread is seeing, is that you are coming into conflict with sexist ideas seeded into your mind through your upbringing. It is not your fault that these ideas are there; if anything, it showcases the pervasiveness of the toxic masculinity feminism fights against.

If you are as genuine as I believe you are, you should reflect on this when you return.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

being sex-repulsed asexual is a thing, so i think you're being a bit harsh here

a toggle on/off for any sex scenes could be a way to be more inclusive towards sex-repulsed people in your audience. not sure i think it's the way to go, but an argument could be made

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
being sex-repulsed asexual is a thing, so i think you're being a bit harsh here

a toggle on/off for any sex scenes could be a way to be more inclusive towards sex-repulsed people in your audience. not sure i think it's the way to go, but an argument could be made

My point is the insane violence is what should make people uncomfortable and repulsed. Why not have an option then to toggle on and off the violence? Some people are uncomfortable with human interactions, so why not have an option to toggle on and off the dialogue? Some people are uncomfortable with nazi's and hitler (with really good reason), so why not have an option to toggle on and off the nazi's? Some people are uncomfortable with spousal abuse, or patricide, (as they should be), so why not complain that those scenes are not optional? The point is, if the only part of this game you feel uncomfortable with is one scene with two characters having consensual sex, then maybe there is actually nothing wrong with the game at all. At a certain point if every thing in every game that could potentially make someone uncomfortable or repulsed becomes optional, then what story are creators really allowed to tell?

e1it3g4m3r

Banned
Feb 19, 2019
Sex is the most disappointing experience of my life and I'm a guy. I prefer masturbation. Imo there should be less showing men as sex hungry maniacs. My ex gf was obsessed with having sex( and I'm no stud guys).

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
My point is the insane violence is what should make people uncomfortable and repulsed. Why not have an option then to toggle on and off the violence? Some people are uncomfortable with human interactions, so why not have an option to toggle on and off the dialogue? Some people are uncomfortable with nazi's and hitler (with really good reason), so why not have an option to toggle on and off the nazi's? Some people are uncomfortable with spousal abuse (as they should be), so why not complain that that scene is not optional? The point is, if the only part of this game you feel uncomfortable is one scene with two characters having consensual sex, then maybe there is actually nothing wrong with the game at all. At a certain point if every thing in every game that could potentially make someone uncomfortable or repulsed becomes optional, then what story are creators really allowed to tell?
i mean people do ask for more non-violent games. it's a topic i've broached myself a few times, since i'm concerned about how the glorification of guns in many games may contribute to gun fetish culture

yes there are a lot of different concerns different people can raise about different aspects of games? i don't see why people should be shouted down for raising an issue that concerns them just because also other issues exist simultaneously

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I chose Kassandra on AC Odyssey just so I could fuck the entirety of Greece.

Women in games need to have their sexuality. And for themselves, not for the player.

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
i mean people do ask for more non-violent games. it's a topic i've broached myself a few times, since i'm concerned about how the glorification of guns in many games may contribute to gun fetish culture

yes there are a lot of different concerns different people can raise about different aspects of games? i don't see why people should be shouted down for raising an issue that concerns them just because also other issues exist simultaneously

I'm just saying, go play games without sex scenes if that makes you uncomfortable. Go play games without nazis if that makes you uncomfortable. Go play games without spousal abuse if that makes you uncomfortable. Go play games without violence if it makes you uncomfortable. All of those games are out there. Don't tell creators how they should tell their stories, because that makes me uncomfortable, and I wish I had a button that could toggle that shit off.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I'm just saying, go play games without sex scenes if that makes you uncomfortable. Go play games without nazis if that makes you uncomfortable. Go play games without spousal abuse if that makes you uncomfortable. Go play games without violence if it makes you uncomfortable. All of those games are out there. Don't tell creators how they should tell their stories, because that makes me uncomfortable, and I wish I had a button that could toggle that shit off.
people who make games are able to handle constructive criticism. they won't close down shop and exit the industry just because a few people politely request a toggle for something, which said developers can grant or ignore at their leisure

people may sometimes criticize your favourite game. i'm sure you're mature enough to handle it

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
people who make games are able to handle constructive criticism. they won't close down shop and exit the industry just because a few people politely request a toggle for something, which said developers can grant or ignore at their leisure

I just don't understand the constructive part of telling a developer to make optional any part of their game that might offend someone or make them uncomfortable. I don't view that as constructive in any way because there is no way to ever implement it. I think "destructive" might be more the word you're looking for here.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I just don't understand the constructive part of telling a developer to make optional any part of their game that might offend someone or make them uncomfortable. I don't view that as constructive in any way because there is no way to ever implement it. I think "destructive" might be more the word you're looking for here.
if it's completely impractical, the feedback will just be ignored. no big deal.

it really does seem to me like you just can't handle when someone criticizes your favourite games and therefore dream up a nightmare universe where such criticism will Change Gaming Forever, or some shit. relax. it's ok. those developers don't need you to act as a shield from criticism.

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
if it's completely impractical, the feedback will just be ignored. no big deal.

it really does seem to me like you just can't handle when someone criticizes your favourite games and therefore make up a fantasy universe where such criticism will Change Gaming Forever. relax. it's ok. those developers don't need you to act as a shield from criticism.

Since when is Wolfenstein my favorite game? Find me one post ever where I've claimed it to be. I don't even think they are particularly good games outside of a few story beats. That's a hell of an immature tone to bring to this argument though, so I think we're done here.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Since when is Wolfenstein my favorite game? Find me one post ever where I've claimed it to be. I don't even think they are particularly good games outside of a few story beats. That's a hell of an immature tone to bring to this argument though, so I think we're done here.
sorry for the tone. you sounded a lot like the people who dismiss any critique of games through a social justice lens and it's just tiring to deal with the same bad arguments all the time.

the point i was trying to make is that if an issue raised is inconsequential or dumb, it can be discussed or just ignored. but bringing it up doesn't hurt anyone. just shutting people up because they have a different background than you is not great. asexual people are, from my understanding, often minimized and dismissed. it may be better to listen to what they have to say than to dismiss people of an atypical sexuality as psychopaths

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
Hrm lol damn, I think maybe there's a lot of overreactions in this thread. I distilled his whole thing to be that sexual scenes in games should be purposeful to the story/characters. To me it's chauvinistic to point that towards women but not a maliciously sexist sentiment. It's not an uncommon perspective for religious people. And it's not really sexist to be jaded by meaningless sex scenes. That's my hot little take anyway...

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'm really not at all clear on what the OP is saying. Language barrier is a tough one when it comes to sensitive topics.

Goldenroad

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
sorry for the tone. you sounded a lot like the people who dismiss any critique of games through a social justice lens and it's just tiring to deal with the same bad arguments all the time.

the point i was trying to make is that if an issue raised is inconsequential or dumb, it can be discussed or just ignored. but bringing it up doesn't hurt anyone. just shutting people up because they have a different background than you is not great. asexual people are, from my understanding, often minimized and dismissed. it may be better to listen to what they have to say than to dismiss people of an atypical sexuality as psychopaths

I have no way of knowing that the person who I was replying to is asexual, or not, and was not in any way dismissing them for being so if they are, but I'm worried you're ascribing that to them in order to win an argument. I almost feel like you are assuming their sexuality as well as mine, which I'm sure your not, but it kind of sounds like you're doing that right now, so maybe lets just step it back, hope we both learned something and move onward and upward.