• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the credits:

Catherine (Original):
NCpsv6W.gif

Catherine Full Body:
b2tPntw.gif

Hopefully this shuts down the "but actually!!!" posts

Didn't Hashino direct the original Catherine though? There was a post earlier in this thread stating that the concept for Full Body is exactly what they wanted to do with Catherine but it wasn't the right "time" yet, whatever that means. I'd imagine he'd have quite a lot of influence in the making of Full Body, delegating a lot of the ideas and concept dev to those under him as you state.

Yep
Hello, trans woman who works in the industry and also is about a dozen hours into the Japanese version of Full Body here. A few things:

1.)
The tweet isn't misrepresenting that specific ending. It's absolutely fucked. Also not the only transphobic moment in the game. When Vincent sees that Rin has male genitalia for the first time he feels tricked and instinctively hits Rin, causing her to run away. The rest of her route, should you pursue it, is about tracking her down.

2.) From Japanese industry scuttlebutt, this is 100% Hashino and his view of LGBTQ and global issues. Sickening given that he said that Full Body was the "completed" concept of the original Catherine, that they supposedly had to hold back on because society was in a different place 8 years ago. And then they made it worse.

3.) Atlus self-professes to not thinking at all about the global market when making games. I know very directly from current and former Atlus USA employees that they will never listen to Atlus USA when they make suggestions or voice opinions about the contents of the games. That said, it isn't only the Western audience that finds this shit gross. The Japanese market did in fact complain about Erica in the original game, and I've already seen early complaints about Full Body's treatment. To say that there isn't an active and vocal LGBTQ community in Japan is ignorance; they just don't get international media coverage.

4.) I have it on good authority that Atlus USA has been...doing their best with what they've been given. But I still expect this content to be in the Western release. Ugh.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Reminder that the fact that Kanji "isn't gay" is supposed to be a happy resolution. The lesson is that "liking girly stuff doesn't have to mean that you're gay." It's very uplifting.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Jesus fucking christ I feel disgusted with myself for having ever believed in this game and Hashino (and perhaps Atlus by extension).

Ugh. Ugggh.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I guess the Catherine business would have to do with how Japan seems to file transgender expression under a general "okama" file, where they seem to be perceived as "gay???"

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Hashino direct the original Catherine though? There was a post earlier in this thread stating that the concept for Full Body is exactly what they wanted to do with Catherine but it wasn't the right "time" yet, whatever that means. I'd imagine he'd have quite a lot of influence in the making of Full Body, delegating a lot of the ideas and concept dev to those under him as you state.
Yeah, he was the director of Catherine, and as the producer, he no doubt had a lot of influence on this game's creative direction. He also did indeed say that Full Body represented a manifestation of the values they could not convey with the original.

But I think it's erroneous to put it all on Hashino. Even if it's just, like, Soejima needing to listen to him when it comes to his desire to make all of the female characters "cute."

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I just don't understand. Do the japanese not care about issues like these at all???
OG catherine was one of the most unique games I ever played, but I can't buy this shit now.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Stop supporting Atlus guys. This kind of aggressions and misrepresentations to the LGTB community have to stop. They pull the same kind of shit since persona 2.

I recommend this article about Atlus and their lack of touch as a company to LGTB community

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/art...dling-of-lgbtq-characters-catherine-full-body
There are other Atlus games outside of Persona and Catherine and they don't have these issues.

This shit has been consistent which Hashino's games and should be called out but there are plenty of other Atlus games that haven't been nearly this bad about it and I don't think the entirety of Atlus should be thrown under the bus for one Director's potentially bigoted views

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
from when they first introduced the new character it sounded like it was gonna be fucked up, and yet they managed to out do themselves. hard pass

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Not fair because the power balance is completely different. It is not the hill you want to kill your career on and be blacklisted
Hm, is it? I suppose the hierarchy of "director" and "character designer" is usually clear-cut, but it's still Soejima we're talking about here. Dude's not gonna kill his career in the least by opposing ideologies like that. And, again, Gotoh was Full Body's director while Hashino was the producer; he'd presumably need to approve the game's contents in that case, which he did.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
How much of this is on Atlus only and how much is it on Japan's society? I'd be genuinely curious.

It's a complicated issue. I don't think any other Japanese developers on the level of Atlus consistently put out unfriendly LGBT content anywhere near as much as them. And basically all of it can be traced to the games under Hashino (the other staff and the company themselves still take some of the blame for going along with it). However, lack of visibility for LGBT social issues in Japan is why it still doesn't get addressed since international markets are secondary. While there are Japanese LGBT groups complaining/protesting, mainstream acceptance is still nowhere near where it should be.

I guess that's to say, it happens because of Atlus/Hashino. It continues to happen because of Japanese society's indifference.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
How much of this is on Atlus only and how much is it on Japan's society? I'd be genuinely curious.
As many posters have mentioned in this thread, there is dozens of Japanese media out there that respectfully portrays LGBTQ+ issues (I mean Swery the GOAT just came out with The Missing) and Japanese LGBTQ+ gamers are rightfully pissed at this. I'd say this is more on the folk over at Studio Zero than Japanese society.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
As many posters have mentioned in this thread, there is dozens of Japanese media out there that respectfully portrays LGBTQ+ issues and Japanese LGBTQ+ gamers are rightfully pissed at this. I'd say this is more on the folk over at Studio Zero than Japanese society.
Not to mention it's something they've been repeatedly criticised for. Even from a Japan-centric perspective (where there's still people talking about it), it's hard to believe they've never gotten any feedback on these issues.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How do people interpret this (below)? It doesn't sound as bad as I feared it did, but I'm cishet so I might be missing something.

Just got this ending, if anyone wants a summary of it, here:
After beating Mutton, Vincent meets with Catherine and tells her that he wishes they could have met differently, and that he doesn't care about her past - and loves her. Catherine says she feels the same way, and opens a portal. Vincent wakes up in his high school days, with Jonny, Orlando and pre-transition Erica asking why he fell asleep. Paul, the character who is mentioned to have died at the start of the game is present too. Paul tells them that a new student has transferred, and Catherine walks into the classroom, taking a seat next to Vincent. The two of them start dating and several years later get married. At the reception, Tobby expresses his jealously at not being able to find such a girl like that, with Erica saying that there might be one closer than he thinks. Orlando then looks toward Katherine and Paul, and tells the two of them to hurry up and get married too. Catherine asks Vincent if he's happy, and he says that he feels like the world totally changed when they met and that he owes everything about who is now to her. He tells her that he loves her, and they kiss. Catherine says that no matter what, she will make sure he's happy for eternity. Then the game ends.
It's not stated why Erica doesn't transition in this end - but it isn't clear how many years have passed between high-school and their wedding, and it is possible that it simply takes place before she transitioned. The rumor about Catherine trying to improve Erica's life and doing so by stopping her from transitioning is false. Nor does Erica "come out as a gay man" in this end. Separate to this ending, I noticed that the line where Vincent tells Erica that she "wouldn't be allowed to become a female pro-wrestler" is gone in this version of the game. The conversation where she says she wants to still happens, but they removed that line.
Thanks for posting.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Competitive Catherine player David Broweleit will no longer be playing or streaming Catherine because of this.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Competitive Catherine player David Broweleit will no longer be playing or streaming Catherine because of this.

Yeah just saw this pop up on my feed holy shit, sad too considering he was really looking forward to it.

I'm hoping it's stuff like this that forces Atlus JP to make a statement.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Hello, trans woman who works in the industry and also is about a dozen hours into the Japanese version of Full Body here. A few things:

1.)
The tweet isn't misrepresenting that specific ending. It's absolutely fucked. Also not the only transphobic moment in the game. When Vincent sees that Rin has male genitalia for the first time he feels tricked and instinctively hits Rin, causing her to run away. The rest of her route, should you pursue it, is about tracking her down.

2.) From Japanese industry scuttlebutt, this is 100% Hashino and his view of LGBTQ and global issues. Sickening given that he said that Full Body was the "completed" concept of the original Catherine, that they supposedly had to hold back on because society was in a different place 8 years ago. And then they made it worse.

3.) Atlus self-professes to not thinking at all about the global market when making games. I know very directly from current and former Atlus USA employees that they will never listen to Atlus USA when they make suggestions or voice opinions about the contents of the games. That said, it isn't only the Western audience that finds this shit gross. The Japanese market did in fact complain about Erica in the original game, and I've already seen early complaints about Full Body's treatment. To say that there isn't an active and vocal LGBTQ community in Japan is ignorance; they just don't get international media coverage.

4.) I have it on good authority that Atlus USA has been...doing their best with what they've been given. But I still expect this content to be in the Western release. Ugh.
Ty your post was illuminating. I find this kinda crap appalling, shame this dude in charge of Persona has such a stranglehold on Persona in addition to other games his team handles where we have to deal with this kind of crap.

labx

Oct 25, 2017
Medellín, Colombia
There are other Atlus games outside of Persona and Catherine and they don't have these issues.

This shit has been consistent which Hashino's games and should be called out but there are plenty of other Atlus games that haven't been nearly this bad about it and I don't think the entirety of Atlus should be thrown under the bus for one Director's potentially bigoted views

But Atlus as a company obviously support the guy, my good dude. The top brass don't even care about this kind of aggressions. That is messed up.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
At the very least I want to see SEGA get on that shit

They won't. Why would they want to damage the perceived value of their own product? They're a business. If they think transphobic content would hurt future games then they will probably prevent that, but until this bombs horribly (which I don't think it will), then they'll let Atlus do what they want.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Twist: Players were promised Sony wouldn't make any "changes" to this game, but people were worried about the wrong issues. Actually, I take that back. There's basically zero crossover between people who'd be upset about a reduction in anime boobs vs those frustrated by transphobic content, so it was just the wrong people who were worried.

Yeah I'm done even vaguely trying to defend Atlus even if they do make some things I enjoy. There was a very, very open and public backlash from P5 recently and it was even reinforced in recent months with the P5 anime, so there's no trying to feign ignorance permitted here. This was already a known problem within the company that's being allowed to continue by management at all levels who clearly give zero fucks about the matter. Or, they might as well not care, for all the effort that's been avoided into changing anything. That includes people at Sega.

At least I know better than to waste any energy on hoping something changes.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just hope all this perhaps isn't as bad as the initial reactions made it seem. I just want to hope that they really did intended this scene to portray a pre-transition Erica who'll transition and be accepted by Toby down the line, but Atlus really hasn't done anything to earn any benefit of the doubt here...

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
[...] It's not stated why Erica doesn't transition in this end - but it isn't clear how many years have passed between high-school and their wedding, and it is possible that it simply takes place before she transitioned. [...]
The fact that Toby is there with his work clothes on means that it had to have taken place during the same period as the events of the game since Toby is 23 during the game and only recently got his job/met everyone. There could be a hypothetical later transition in this new timeline, but as it stands it erases Erica transitioning when she originally did in that timeline (surgery and otherwise) and has her live (seemingly happily) well into her thirties.

Call me cynical based on previous treatment of her, but it feels like an erasure of her struggles as a trans individual.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
Whatever your view may be in trans issues, I see no reason to include this in the game except to explicitly piss people off.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The fact that Toby is there with his work clothes on means that it had to have taken place during the same period as the events of the game since Toby is 23 during the game and only recently got his job/met everyone. There could be a hypothetical later transition, but as it stands that timeline erases Erica transitioning when she originally did (surgery and otherwise) and has her live, seemingly happily, well into her thirties. Call me cynical based on previous treatment of her, but it feels like an erasure of her struggles as a trans individual.
I've been kind of grasping at straws in the last hour trying to fit that scene into a non-transphobic interpretation with my very limited knowledge of what's going on, but this sounds like a very sensible explanation as to why trans folks still find it hurtful. Thank you very much. (I'd also love to hear any other thoughts on why else even a charitable interpretation (she's still trans, just pre-transition) could be transphobic, because my understanding of trans issues is less than sufficient).

tomahawk

Nov 2, 2018
Can anyone clarify whether Rin identifies as a male crossdresser or a trans woman? I've seen different people claim both in this thread.
Male crossdresser. Rin's route is actually not handled terribly. Vincent immediately apologizes for his kneejerk reaction when he finds out Rin's sex, and Rin's route ends with Vincent and Rin in a relationship without any dumb jokes made about them, and Erica and Tobby are hinted to happily be in a relationship in this route too, with Erica debuting as a female pro-wrestler.

The fact that Toby is there with his work clothes on means that it had to have taken place during the same period as the events of the game since Toby is 23 during the game and only recently got his job/met everyone. There could be a hypothetical later transition in this new timeline, but as it stands it erases Erica transitioning when she originally did in that timeline (surgery and otherwise) and has her live (seemingly happily) well into her thirties.

Call me cynical based on previous treatment of her, but it feels like an erasure of her struggles as a trans individual.
Yeah, I've edited my post. It didn't cross my mind about Toby being there. I honestly can't think of a single reason why Erica is pre-transition in that scene, like, she just is, there's no explanation.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FYI that one post is being used to discredit this and attack ResetEra on Reddit and Twitter.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Vincent seems to say "you're a boy" and she says "yeah".

Also, regarding Toby and Erica, Toby is never hinted to be gay. Like the opposite is made clear.

So them dating is interesting. It's just given the track record of Atlus it's hard to see good will there.

Miller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I should also add that Erica identifying with 天使みたいな子 is not necessarily an implication that she intends to transition, but rather that she identifies with femininity. Had this scene existed in a vacuum, I would assume that Erica is simply a gay man.