• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Update:

Catherine does not explicitly state anything about "making everyone's lives better", however that is heavily implied. She wanted to be with Vincent under different circumstances. She took him back in time and dated him in high school, and they go on to get married years later, in the time when the game's events would have taken place in that timeline. At the wedding, almost everyone else's lives are improved. Paul, the guy that died at the beginning of the game in both this version and the original, is alive and dating Katherine. They are happy. Vincent and Catherine are happy together. Erica for some reason has not transitioned in this timeline, and we do not know if she will in this timeline. Tobey says that he wish he met a girl like that, referring to Catherine, and Erica (pre-transition) puts her arm around him and says "She may be closer than you think", as a "joke" about her having transitioned and dating Tobey in the other timeline.

There's also transphobia involving Rin. The thread wasn't originally about that, so I will spoiler that below.

Rin is male but a crossdresser, and ends up in Vincent's bedroom and he discovers Rin has a penis. He freaks it and slaps Rin's hand away and she runs off. Now the issue here is that they are going with the "trans panic" route, implying Rin was trying to trick him. Rin is also in fact an angel, but angels look like these pink minion-like creatures.

Original:

So the following is MAJOR spoilers for an ending in Catherine: Full Body. If you don't want to know, turn back now.

gg87ntP.png

This got more transphobic, with making Erica never transition being one of Catherine's different circumstances. In the original game, one ending revealed that Erica was trans, and this was handled poorly. Only men have the dreams, and she had them too...therefore by the game's logic, she was considered a "man". There was also that whole thing where Tobey lost his virginity with her and eveyrone basically turned it into a "haha you had sex with a man" transphobic "joke".

Last edited:

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Jesus Christ. And here I thought we dodged a bullet when Rin's "twist" was revealed to not be what we all worried/assumed it was going to be. Atlus really needs to get a handle on this shit, though at this point I think I'm done giving them second chances.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
I knew it was stupid of me to hope they wouldn't make it worse.

I love this game (well, the original anyway) but this is seriously such a fucking ugly stain on the whole thing. Was playing some today and the way some of the characters talk about her is just... not... good...

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this game can get fucked, don't support this shit.

How can Atlus keep making games that try to be progressive and not have a single fucking idea about sexual orientation and gender identity, they keep fucking it up in the Persona series as well.

I hope that team doesn't get anywhere close to Etrian Odyssey, ever, fucking idiots.

Last edited:

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
And we thought the worst they'd do was make Qatherine trans for "lol gay panic" jokes, this is much much worse :|

Though I did hear that Qatherine is
an alien
so maybe they try to have their cake and eat it too with some
trans-species jokes

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
FUCKING TIME TRAVEL

I know it can be use right, but in most cases time travel is a stupid plot device that only leads to more confusion.

Oct 27, 2017
That's awful. Erica was a cool character in the original, and she wasn't treated very well. This is just disgusting. Maybe Full Body just needs to go onto Era's ban list.

Orochinagis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably the protagonist didnt know about her past and backfired turning her against her will?

Really sucks for her

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
biggest question is how with Atlus USA tackle this. probably ignore it and wait it out. there's no way to defend this, unless they edit it to be less offensive

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
It's sad, disgusting, but unfortunately not unexpected that Atlus continues to treat LGBT characters in their games like garbage. I wish they'd make an effort to improve, but it looks like that won't be happening anytime soon.

At least this time I know beforehand, so I safely skip this one.

Chuck

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ. And here I thought we dodged a bullet when Rin's "twist" was revealed to not be what we all worried/assumed it was going to be.

Incorrect.

From the import thread.
Rin IS an alien. But their human form apparently has a penis. I don't really know too much beyond that.
So apparently what the new ending is going for is that

Erica isn't actually a woman, but rather a gay man who transitioned, and Catherine "improves" her life by traveling back in time so that she comes out as gay.

So basically it's as bad as it sounds.

According to what I've read Rin identifies as male and crossdresses, and yes is an "angel" who in this setting are little pink aliens, and there's a new route for marrying them.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ. And we all thought after the Rin spoiler we were free of more of this shit...

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Fuck off, Atlus. Catherine was one of my favourite games last year but I'm not buying Full Body because of this shit.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
This is inexcusable. First the homophobia in Persona 5, and now this. It's disappointing, because ATLUS used to be really progressive about sex and gender, but the anime tropes really sunk it.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, ATLUS makes these games TOO?

Man I thought that Persona 5 stuff was wild but even this, made by the same people no less, wowwwwwwwww.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's why we have dlc voices! Because Catherine went back in time to make YOU happy!

The spiral downward was sadly expected of Atlus given their low audience numbers but woof

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming as charitably as possible that this was Atlus' attempt at addressing the criticism they got over P5's gay panic jokes and now we've got what may be the single most transphobic thing ever put to video games.

I'm going to sit in my corner with all my old Shin Megami Tensei games and you're welcome to join me.

And we thought the worst they'd do was make Qatherine trans for "lol gay panic" jokes, this is much much worse :|

Though I did hear that Qatherine is
an alien
so maybe they try to have their cake and eat it too with some
trans-species jokes

From what I understand
Rin identifies as male and crossdresses, and there's a new ending where he and Vincent get married

Oct 27, 2017
Who do we actually contact for adding a game to the ban list? If Atlus is really stooping this low for the re-release, I don't see why Era should allow it.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Are you fucking kidding me?

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I know the tweet was already posted in the other thread, but I wonder if it would be a good idea to remove the tweet itself and just have a censored screenshot.

That user seems like a relative nobody and I'm not sure they're going to want the attention this thread will bring them.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS. Oh my godddd...

Are we boycotting P Studio now, or just this game?

Deleted member 47318

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Only men have the dreams, and she had them too...therefore by the game's logic, she was considered a "man".
According to the game's logic, men are supposed to settle in a relationship with women for the purpose of procreating if I remember correctly. It's not difficult to see how "Eric" becoming Erica would mess with "his" intended role as a man in the eyes of the gods, and thusly Erica is cast in the same group as men not living up to that expectation.

I don't see how any of this holds up with these new bizarre endings however.

Last edited:

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I almost bought the original on playstation 3 years ago (was cheap on sale), now I'm glad I skipped it and never supported this stuff.

May 26, 2018
Is this just a Japanese cultural thing? Like how blackface is still a culturally accepted depiction of black people in drawings?

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Who do we actually contact for adding a game to the ban list? If Atlus is really stooping this low for the re-release, I don't see why Era should allow it.
Allow what? Talking about it? I don't see the point of banning games on Era, but this revelation makes me no longer want to double dip on this game. Not worth getting a new version when the changes don't sound like improvements.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm assuming as charitably as possible that this was Atlus' attempt at addressing the criticism they got over P5's gay panic jokes and now we've got what may be the single most transphobic thing ever put to video games.

I'm going to sit in my corner with all my old Shin Megami Tensei games and you're welcome to join me.

From what I understand
Rin identifies as male and crossdresses, and there's a new ending where he and Vincent get married
So it's one step forward five steps back.

The optimist in me hopes this was Atlus trying to address critique from the original and really missing the mark. But this is still a bad look.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
Oh, geez. From bad to worse.
Seems like they don't understand their western audience at all.