• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I've played the english version of the game before. I've just heard a lot of conflicting reports about how Vivian is treated in the Japanese version y'know?

I know for a fact it's better than this because the game ends with her sisters accepting her, but I was looking for more insight about it.
I"ve been trying to find more concrete information on it myself, I'm not 100% sure if my understanding was correct now. I can't read Japanese myself.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I am sending a formal request to the admins to add Catherine: Full Body to the Era banlist. This is a situation where the game itself is indefensibly riddled with offensive and inexcusable content, and condoning said content in its core messaging; same as Hatred, Omega Labyrinth, or other entries on the list. We cannot give this shit a platform here.

Please quote this post if you would like me to add your name to the message.
Add me in.

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sign me up, please.

Jesus christ, that fucking spoiler. Vincent was one of my favorite protagonists.
He actually hits her? Like physically strikes her out of anger?
I can't handle that. I'm legit sick to think that I have the special edition of the original on my shelf. I'm throwing that shit in the trash.
Rin reaches out to touch Vincent and he slaps her hand away, its not an angry moment

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Dumpster Fire Evolution

Think it's fair to say Atlus doesn't really deserve support unless they're going to do something about Hashino. Preferably firing him (I know this won't happen, but it's amazing they can keep a person who supports such blatant transphobia).

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I know for a fact it's better than this because the game ends with her sisters accepting her, but I was looking for more insight about it.

In games like this, Mario accepting her is way more important than her sisters because he is "the voice of reason" of the game. Like how Death seeing Wanda as a woman works in Sandman to end any doubt to where Neil stands

Deleted member 873

Oct 25, 2017
Hello, trans woman who works in the industry and also is about a dozen hours into the Japanese version of Full Body here. A few things:

1.)
The tweet isn't misrepresenting that specific ending. It's absolutely fucked. Also not the only transphobic moment in the game. When Vincent sees that Rin has male genitalia for the first time he feels tricked and instinctively hits Rin, causing her to run away. The rest of her route, should you pursue it, is about tracking her down.

2.) From Japanese industry scuttlebutt, this is 100% Hashino and his view of LGBTQ and global issues. Sickening given that he said that Full Body was the "completed" concept of the original Catherine, that they supposedly had to hold back on because society was in a different place 8 years ago. And then they made it worse.

3.) Atlus self-professes to not thinking at all about the global market when making games. I know very directly from current and former Atlus USA employees that they will never listen to Atlus USA when they make suggestions or voice opinions about the contents of the games. That said, it isn't only the Western audience that finds this shit gross. The Japanese market did in fact complain about Erica in the original game, and I've already seen early complaints about Full Body's treatment. To say that there isn't an active and vocal LGBTQ community in Japan is ignorance; they just don't get international media coverage.

4.) I have it on good authority that Atlus USA has been...doing their best with what they've been given. But I still expect this content to be in the Western release. Ugh.
Thank you for the insight. This is a really bad situation for Atlus USA and the trans folk that enjoy the original Catherine.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
I'm pretty ignorant about what Atlus releases, but a lot of you have been very supportive of their games, yet I read that this transphobic kind of content isn't new for them. Why have people been supporting Atlus if this is the case?

Syrenne

Producer of Manifold Garden
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Can't understand Japanese, but from what I saw, the game seems to clearly consider Vincent in the wrong (and it's more specifically slapping her hand away), and Erica seems to get on him for it. Again, can't read Japanese, but that's the impression I got from watching the scenes.

You're more or less right - but the inclusion of it all really fucking sucks. Especially given the actual context of where Rin and Vincent's story is at that point (which already feels weird and forced, but that's just a bad writing issue.) Displaying Vincent being instinctively and naturally violent towards a trans woman for "deceiving" him isn't excused by a visible slap on the wrist (pun not intended) in game when the game also goes out of its way to be violent against the other trans woman character.

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty ignorant about what Atlus releases, but a lot of you have been very supportive of their games, yet I read that this transphobic kind of content isn't new for them. Why have people been supporting Atlus if this is the case?
The vast majority of people are apathetic at best about trans issues. ResetEra is not an exception (something made extremely obvious by... basically any thread that has to do with trans issues).

I mean, Persona 5 is full of sexist bullshit and you have no shortage of people who will trip over themselves to defend it even here. This is completely unsurprising.

chronos4590

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god. :/ yo fuck atlus. I can't support this release at all. They're really pushing me to not buy a thing from them anymore until they adresss this as a developer internally and stop this.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah boy Atlus doesn't do well with anything remotely surrounding LGBTQ characters or concepts. As much as I loved Persona 5 The whole Ryuji bit from that game was real fucking gross. This is really some next level though.

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
The weird thing is that I thought Lala, as incidental as she was, was fairly sympathetic in P5. So like... What happened??? Or was she just supposed to be a drag queen and not a trans woman? Hrrmmng... Regardless it seems like the "haha gay" joke couple were more the direction...

Hello, trans woman who works in the industry and also is about a dozen hours into the Japanese version of Full Body here. A few things:

1.)
The tweet isn't misrepresenting that specific ending. It's absolutely fucked. Also not the only transphobic moment in the game. When Vincent sees that Rin has male genitalia for the first time he feels tricked and instinctively hits Rin, causing her to run away. The rest of her route, should you pursue it, is about tracking her down.

2.) From Japanese industry scuttlebutt, this is 100% Hashino and his view of LGBTQ and global issues. Sickening given that he said that Full Body was the "completed" concept of the original Catherine, that they supposedly had to hold back on because society was in a different place 8 years ago. And then they made it worse.

3.) Atlus self-professes to not thinking at all about the global market when making games. I know very directly from current and former Atlus USA employees that they will never listen to Atlus USA when they make suggestions or voice opinions about the contents of the games. That said, it isn't only the Western audience that finds this shit gross. The Japanese market did in fact complain about Erica in the original game, and I've already seen early complaints about Full Body's treatment. To say that there isn't an active and vocal LGBTQ community in Japan is ignorance; they just don't get international media coverage.

4.) I have it on good authority that Atlus USA has been...doing their best with what they've been given. But I still expect this content to be in the Western release. Ugh.
oof that spoiler. Seems I heard wrong about how Rin was handled.

I'm happy to hear USA branch is trying their best but given the art that seems a pretty hard thing to patch up without drastic changes.
Ah. My bad. I've considered getting into Fate, but always got intimidated by how large the series is.
Oh incredibly understandable. Just know you can jump into any individual Fate series or game without knowledge of the rest.
I mean, Type-Moon's been playing with gender stuff since Kara no Kyoukai kinda.
True true!

PaperSparrow

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
A sincere thanks for your input here, on all 4 points.

I was wondering how the JP LGBTQ fans were reacting, since I know in prior incidents (stuff around FE Fates in particular is what comes to mind) that people tried to spin criticism like it was just Western fans repeating inaccuracies, resulting in the person doing the criticism getting thrown under the bus by irresponsible reporting, when there were Japanese fans making the same exact criticism too.

The worst thing about criticizing Japanese media is non-Japanese people shrugging their shoulders and saying "That's just their culture, we shouldn't force our views on them" as if there aren't people in Japan fighting against this shit. I suppose it makes it easier to not care that way.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The same reason anyone continues to stomach this kind of content in things they genuinely love. Eventually it just bubbles over and you can't continue supporting it.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
I don't think it was this bad in past games, and it's been growing on me bit by bit, but no more.
I just want them to give me SMT5 at this point so i can be done with them because I am def not trusting the Persona series unless they pull a 2, cast and theme wise.

Dec 28, 2018
It's like a never ending downward spiral with Atlus when it comes to this kind of stuff. I doubt they'll ever improve themselves so all I can say is that they can go fuck off all the way to the moon for all I care.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm interested in reading up on this. Would you mind sharing some links to those communities and discussions?

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Typically they've never been as bad as this. The other times were just dumb fumbles from like 10 years ago when this was less offensive. P5 was the worst when they had a really crass gay couple act as minor gag characters.

This was also buried under well beloved 80 hour games so while some people would be more bothered they often were never the focus. Where Full Body fucks up is putting even more attention on it and going even harder then the other times.

With that said I don't agree with Atlus as a whole being the problem because this has mainly been in Hashino's games and the other games namely the mainline Shin Megami Tensei games were never this bad about it and once upon a time Persona even had really progressive values about this considering P2 had a queer character that you can choose as a romantic option.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think it was this bad in past games, and it's been growing on me bit by bit, but no more.
I just want them to give me SMT5 at this point so i can be done with them because I am def not trusting the Persona series unless they pull a 2, cast and theme wise.
Much like Final Fantasy isn't going to ever go back to Amano or FFVI, Persona is never going back to 2 or Kaneko.

Oct 25, 2017
Add me to the list saying this one's gotta go. Atlus has been given a free pass for their homophobic/transphobic content for too long, and repeating the de-transitioning message again only shows that the company is concrete in their views. There is no room for them here.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
For the record I think this move by Atlus is despicable but think putting the game on a banlist is only gonna be counterproductive for the people affected by it.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
The same reason anyone continues to stomach this kind of content in things they genuinely love. Eventually it just bubbles over and you can't continue supporting it.

Yeah. I think up to a certain point, you acknowledge that lots of video games, movies, books, etc. that you enjoy have problematic elements in them, and that their existence doesn't necessarily negate your enjoyment, nor does your enjoyment negate those problems. But to me, in this particular case, you have a work whose meaning has been specifically altered to be MORE transphobic, and at some point it becomes very difficult or impossible to forgive in order to salvage the parts of the work you do enjoy.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Vivian...has an arc, let's say.

It really is a crime she'll never be used again.

Friday night before a national holiday.

There is a real chance this could get buried.

I absolutely do not think this will be buried, thankfully.

On Twitter this is already getting widely condemned by people in the same circles as the journalists that would write about this; it's not slipping under the radar. If they haven't seen it yet, they definitely will in the morning. Even if you don't see articles till Tuesday, I bet you'll see them.

HylianSeven Hey, can you get rid of the tweet in the OP and replace it with this image please?

gg87ntP.png

Thank you for reminding people! Though it might be a lost cause by now- I've seen the tweets linked on Twitter by people with a large audience discussing it, which feels irresponsible. I really hope that user doesn't wake up to a ton of shit.

tomahawk

Nov 2, 2018
Just got this ending, if anyone wants a summary of it, here:
After beating Mutton, Vincent meets with Catherine and tells her that he wishes they could have met differently, and that he doesn't care about her past - and loves her. Catherine says she feels the same way, and opens a portal. Vincent wakes up in his high school days, with Jonny, Orlando and pre-transition Erica asking why he fell asleep. Paul, the character who is mentioned to have died at the start of the game is present too. Paul tells them that a new student has transferred, and Catherine walks into the classroom, taking a seat next to Vincent. The two of them start dating and several years later get married. At the reception, Tobby expresses his jealously at not being able to find such a girl like that, with Erica saying that there might be one closer than he thinks. Orlando then looks toward Katherine and Paul, and tells the two of them to hurry up and get married too. Catherine asks Vincent if he's happy, and he says that he feels like the world totally changed when they met and that he owes everything about who is now to her. He tells her that he loves her, and they kiss. Catherine says that no matter what, she will make sure he's happy for eternity. Then the game ends.
It's not stated why Erica doesn't transition in this end - but it isn't clear how many years have passed between high-school and their wedding, and it is possible that it simply takes place before she transitioned (Edit: Tobby didn't know Erica pre-transition). The rumor about Catherine trying to improve Erica's life and doing so by stopping her from transitioning is false. Nor does Erica "come out as a gay man" in this end. Separate to this ending, I noticed that the line where Vincent tells Erica that she "wouldn't be allowed to become a female pro-wrestler" is gone in this version of the game. The conversation where she says she wants to still happens, but they removed that line. (Edit: Turns out this line was likely removed because in Rin's ending, Erica actually does become a female pro-wrestler.)

Last edited:

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The worst thing about criticizing Japanese media is non-Japanese people shrugging their shoulders and saying "That's just their culture, we shouldn't force our views on them" as if there aren't people in Japan fighting against this shit. I suppose it makes it easier to not care that way.
apathy is the death of empathy.

As an aside. I fucking despise the whole "That's just their culture, we shouldn't force our views on them" shit.

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
I am sending a formal request to the admins to add Catherine: Full Body to the Era banlist. This is a situation where the game itself is indefensibly riddled with offensive and inexcusable content, and condoning said content in its core messaging; same as Hatred, Omega Labyrinth, or other entries on the list. We cannot give this shit a platform here.

Yeah, add me to this.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Yep. We just went through a whole thread of this nonsense in the DoA thread, too.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Much like Final Fantasy isn't going to ever go back to Amano or FFVI, Persona is never going back to 2 or Kaneko.
Nah I think this will change something in Atlus. This is the worst it's ever been and is going to get a massive backlash that they have to take notice especially if Full Body ends up selling poorly.

They've gotten away with it being small time before but this is legitimately indefensible and shows a more deep rooted issue withing Hashino's games that need to be weeded out

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
You're more or less right - but the inclusion of it all really fucking sucks. Especially given the actual context of where Rin and Vincent's story is at that point (which already feels weird and forced, but that's just a bad writing issue.) Displaying Vincent being instinctively and naturally violent towards a trans woman for "deceiving" him isn't excused by a visible slap on the wrist (pun not intended) in game when the game also goes out of its way to be violent against the other trans woman character.
Yeah. That's definitely understandable. :/

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
]
From what I understand
Rin identifies as male and crossdresses, and there's a new ending where he and Vincent get married

Wait a sec
Does this mean the game can end with a gay marriage, or am I not reading that right?
Talk about a tiny step forward

It's almost incredible Altus made the trans issues from the original game a 100x worse. @_@

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

Persona 4 came out in 2008, and it was one of the first higher profile JRPGs to actively try to discuss LGBT issues, even if it just barely grazed them in retrospect. Persona 5 is where the cracks started to show, but it was in development for a long time; the world has progressed a lot even since 2013.

Full Body, meanwhile, presumably started development in 2018 and had the perfect opportunity to fix certain things that were problematic in the original, but instead it went even more backwards. A lot of people have just lost faith, at least in the lead director/producer Hashino.

It'll be interesting to see if Persona 5 R makes similar mistakes since that's in a similar situation, timeline-wise.

Personally I just find it infuriating because Persona in particular does a lot of things right with certain characters, and the setting feels very unique even if people are quick to call school RPGs generic now for some reason. They should be so much better.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Oh, geez. From bad to worse.
Seems like they don't understand their western audience at all.

They don't care. The western market is an afterthought to them.

I haven't played Catherine, but I love the Persona games. I've been trying to tolerate this long enough, but this just pushed me over the edge. It's so frustrating that this persists. Even when Nintendo fucks up like the conversion therapy storyline in Fire Emblem, at least the American branch tries to fix it in the translation. This is... I don't know. Maybe with Hoshino stepping down things will improve.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

My limited understanding - I haven't played too many Atlus games either - is that it's less an issue of Atlus is out and out terrible, and more a matter that Atlus is out and out terrible about this. That is, they've shown that they're capable of being thoughtful about other issues and that gets them praise, but the more they mess up on LGBT issues this the harder it is to give them the benefit of the doubt about it.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Just got this ending, if anyone wants a summary of it, here:
After beating Mutton, Vincent meets with Catherine and tells her that he wishes they could have met differently, and that he doesn't care about her past - and loves her. Catherine says she feels the same way, and opens a portal. Vincent wakes up in his high school days, with Jonny, Orlando and pre-transition Erica asking why he fell asleep. Paul, the character who is mentioned to have died at the start of the game is present too. Paul tells them that a new student has transferred, and Catherine walks into the classroom, taking a seat next to Vincent. The two of them start dating and several years later get married. At the reception, Tobby expresses his jealously at not being able to find such a girl like that, with Erica saying that there might be one closer than he thinks. Orlando then looks toward Katherine and Paul, and tells the two of them to hurry up and get married too. Catherine asks Vincent if he's happy, and he says that he feels like the world totally changed when they met and that he owes everything about who is now to her. He tells her that he loves her, and they kiss. Catherine says that no matter what, she will make sure he's happy for eternity. Then the game ends.
It's not stated why Erica doesn't transition in this end - but it isn't clear how many years have passed between high-school and their wedding, and it is possible that it simply takes place before she transitioned. The rumor about Catherine trying to improve Erica's life and doing so by stopping her from transitioning is false. Nor does Erica "come out as a gay man" in this end. Separate to this ending, I noticed that the line where Vincent tells Erica that she "wouldn't be allowed to become a female pro-wrestler" is gone in this version of the game. The conversation where she says she wants to still happens, but they removed that line.
I'm not doubting you or anything but do you have any proof of this? Another poster who has played the game in this very thread has stated that what the OP describes absolutely does happen.

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Separate to this ending, I noticed that the line where Vincent tells Erica that she "wouldn't be allowed to become a female pro-wrestler" is gone in this version of the game. The conversation where she says she wants to still happens, but they removed that line.

Would have been real dumb to keep that in an era when we have ASUKA kicking ass in Japan.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
With that said I don't agree with Atlus as a whole being the problem because this has mainly been in Hashino's games and the other games namely the mainline Shin Megami Tensei games were never this bad about it and once upon a time Persona even had really progressive values about this considering P2 had a queer character that you can choose as a romantic option.

Even if it's mainly limited to the doing of one of their creator, Atlus as a company stay accountable for the actions of their employees and for the games they are releasing.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
So, here is the current text of the petition I am sending:
TO: Cerium, SweetNicole, ZhugeEX, Nibel, Hecht, shinobi602, Selina, Rowlf, B-Dubs, Mist
SUBJECT: [PETITION] Formal Request For Era Banlist Addendum

We, the undersigned members of the ResetEra community, hereby make a formal complaint as described in the ResetEra FAQ against the 2019 video game "Catherine: Full Body", and request its addition to the Official ResetEra Banned Games List.

As the examples in this thread attest, the game itself creates, condones and promotes a message of shocking and abhorrent transphobia. Over the course of the plot, the game's trans character, Erica Anderson, is ridiculed, misgendered, deadnamed, and, in one of the game's several ending routes, even reverted to a male with the implication that this a "better" and "happier" state of being despite being against her own demonstrated wishes. Another character, Rin, is exploited and treated as a "shock" for "dressing like a woman" while having a penis.

ResetEra was founded on the ideas of believing and respecting women – a respect that must be extended to trans women. We are a diverse and vibrant community built on acceptance and love, with a membership including countless trans men and women as well as their outspoken allies in the continuing fight for LGBT rights. As the #1 gaming forum in the world and one of the top 3,000 most-visited websites worldwide, we have a responsibility to do right by our membership and the greater gaming community at-large. Our influence has a massive impact on shaping the conversation in games and setting the tone for what is and is not okay. We cannot give blatant and outright phobia, disrespect and intolerance for our fellow human beings a platform. We cannot standby and allow our community to act as a staging ground for a commercial product that is inseparable from these indefensible behaviors and views.

At a time when the struggle for rights and acceptance rages on both in the games industry and the world at large, we urge you to take a proactive step on this matter and make clear where ResetEra stands. We hope will you make the right choice and continue to provide a community where game enthusiasts from all walks of life feel safe and welcome.

Sincerely,
@ASaiyan
@Icemonk191
@Chie Satonaka91
@Static_Void
@Xaszatm
@vestan
@Capra
@Continental 0p
@deepFlaw
@PogChamp
@Daysean
@Lord Vatek
@Rotobit
@Zehzin
@Unknownlight
@NarohDethan
@sinonobu
@LukarWuff
@HylianSeven
@JigglesBunny
@Bossking
@Ardiloso
@GoldStarz
We have 23 signatures so far, which is awesome. I will wait another hour in case anyone else wants to sign, and send this out at 1:30AM EDT (#:30 your local equivalent time). The response has been overwhelming, so please let me know if I somehow missed your name. Or added your name by mistake, lol.

EDIT: The staff have received and made a formal response to our petition. Please see Morrigan's post. I will not be collecting further signatures, though I thank those who signed with me.

Last edited:

tomahawk

Nov 2, 2018
I'm not doubting you or anything but do you have any proof of this? Another poster who has played the game in this very thread has stated that what the OP describes absolutely does happen.
Someone in the OT posted a link to footage of it, but there's commentary:
https://www.reddit.com/r/GamerGhazi/comments/aqnqx5/erica_in_catherine_full_body_spoilers/
I'd love to provide non-commentated footage, but the share button's disabled in the second half of the game.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
You know, I was dreading how this "Definite Edition" of the game was going to tackle some of the new characters and some of it's subject matter, but I can't handle this news. Erica was one of my favourite characters in the original, and how they handled her with that stupid alternative ending made me feel ill. Like, fuck off with that shit.

Jan 9, 2018

Count me in, please.