• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mirage Coordinator

Alt account
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Even in the original the characters still don't really seem to respect her, and the game treats her as a male. We really don't have to settle for this as representation, we should demand better.

It wasn't perfect, but simply by virtue of passing Erica is a more positive representation of a trans women than 99% of media. She is also happy, has friends, a legitimate romantic interest, a normal job, and is arguably the only mature and well-adjusted member of what is a very dysfunctional cast. Compare that to western media where Trans women are almost always extremely masculine and non-passing (and always portrayed by cis men if it's live action), constantly equated with over-the-top drag queens and middle-aged fetishist cross-dressers, and live extremely pitiable and miserable lives for the most part.

Trap "jokes" are offensive and distasteful, absolutely, but I would easily contend that the likes of Rocky Horror and RPDR (both of which are widely celebrated by the LGB community) are far more damaging to the mainstream perception of trans women than characters like Erica or Luka (who isn't trans but is arguably presented as such initially in S;G). The former kept me in the closet for my entire childhood and adolescence, the latter are actually relatable despite some poor treatment from the writers.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Getting toward the end of the Rin route, and it's kind of endearing in its naïveté.
Like, you can tell the writers were trying *so damn hard* to put Vincent and Rin's relationship in as positive a light as they could. The C/K meter shattering to have a white flower grow out of it when you pick Rin choices, lots of "it doesn't matter what people think, love above all" type stuff, Vincent having a big dramatic inner monologue (moreso than what C and K get) when he decides to save Rin, and Vincent and Rin embracing and kissing as the big "fuck you" to Mutton.

There is some unfortunate dialogue, like Rin suddenly switching to boku's as soon as the otoko no ko reveal happens, Vincent's friends being like "Wow, I didn't know Rin was a dude (otoko)," and Katherine being like "Or are they... not a girl...?" when they were breaking up and she didn't know who Vincent was seeing (though being okay with it). It feels like it was written from a place of genuine ignorance, but with good intentions. Going by what Erin said, I could easily see a lot of the less than ideal language being smoothed out. Looking forward to seeing what they go with.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
Getting toward the end of the Rin route, and it's kind of endearing in its naïveté.
Like, you can tell the writers were trying *so damn hard* to put Vincent and Rin's relationship in as positive a light as they could. The C/K meter shattering to have a white flower grow out of it when you pick Rin choices, lots of "it doesn't matter what people think, love above all" type stuff, Vincent having a big dramatic inner monologue (moreso than what C and K get) when he decides to save Rin, and Vincent and Rin embracing and kissing as the big "fuck you" to Mutton.

There is some unfortunate dialogue, like Rin suddenly switching to boku's as soon as the otoko no ko reveal happens, Vincent's friends being like "Wow, I didn't know Rin was a dude (otoko)," and Katherine being like "Or are they... not a girl...?" when they were breaking up and she didn't know who Vincent was seeing (though being okay with it). It feels like it was written from a place of genuine ignorance, but with good intentions. Going by what Erin said, I could easily see a lot of the less than ideal language being smoothed out. Looking forward to seeing what they go with.

I haven't played the new version, but "genuine ignorance" definitely sounds like it could be the case. Like straight cis Japanese writers knowing absolutely nothing about being trans/intersex and saying "Oh! They're gay but it's fine!" lmao

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the problem is that it's not even a good representation of a gay relationship lol.

When the premise of a gay relationship is overcoming the part where they're male than what does it even say about gayness lol.

I guess you can say he's a pansexual who doesn't want to seem gay. Which is like, yeah....