• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017
Yeah, depending on Toby's age in this wedding, Erica's line could very well be a recreation of that Persona 3 beach scene. Either way, it's not good.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
What........ Didn't play the original, but what the hell at this, plus the dead naming in the credits.

The beach secene where the guys are trying to get laid ends with the only girls interested in them being trans. Of course all the guys freak out and the game paints the trans girls as men. It is thankfully absent from the FeMC route in Persona 3 Portable.

Oof, I remembered "Operation Babe," but maybe I didn't originally take notice of her being trans via Portable. Damn at them adding a (?) to pretty lady.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You gotta feel for the people in charge of localizing this game. At some point, Japanese company needs to learn that this shit won't fly in where they want to sell the game.

The entire point of ResetEra banning games from discussion is so that the games aren't being advertised by the discussion. It's not a boycott, but it serves the same purpose. It is a refusal to support a product, such as those that sexualize children.
This thread wouldn't exist if the game is banned, yet I think it should exist. Talking about something is not the same as endorsing it. In your eyes Era is a giant advertisement board?

Last edited:

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The beach secene where the guys are trying to get laid ends with the only girls interested in them being trans. Of course all the guys freak out and the game paints the trans girls as men. It is thankfully absent from the FeMC route in Persona 3 Portable.

That's why I never knew about this scene. I only played P3P, and only played the FeMC route.

Seeing it, though? Yikes...

Miller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think a comprehensive thread detailing the transphobia and even homophobia in ATLUS games would be very welcome now with the wave of attention this particular case will bring. It's a great opportunity to bring light to this issue.

I'm not as well-versed in ATLUS' full catalogue as some, so even I could use a lesson in that regard.

For example: Almost 10 pages of discussion and this is the first time it's been raised that Erica was dead named in the original title's credits. Wow.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Well Hashino didn't work on Persona 2 IIRC, so that helps a lot.
Yeah, that's also kinda the thing. Though it seems like he really started to become influential once he became a producer, after Kouji Okada, one of the company's founders, left. Kazuma Kaneko has also done a lot less work lately, so most of the original/founding members of Atlus have largely either left or been pushed into the background at this point.

The result is a VERY different Atlus from what it once was, with Hashino largely leading the company's direction now.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The entire point of ResetEra banning games from discussion is so that the games aren't being advertised by the discussion. It's not a boycott, but it serves the same purpose. It is a refusal to support a product, such as those that sexualize children.

You trying to treat people as racists or anti-semites because you don't understand that suggests to me that either you're disingenuous or you're an idiot.
What's with the insult ? And why are you accusing me of being disingenuous ?

And i do understand. As disgusting as this is, it's not comparable to pedo shit. And shouldn't be banned.

The game shouldn't be a forbidden topic for discussion.

And i wasn't suggesting that people were those things. i was Pointing out that the poster was hypothetically cool with one from over bigotry, but not the other.
I mean, yeah that's what i said
Dude's dead, no point in caring about his beliefs, waste of my time
Then why care about Hashino's beliefs ? The bigotry still exists in the art. Whether the artist is alive or dead.
I think a comprehensive thread detailing the transphobia and even homophobia in ATLUS games would be very welcome now with the wave of attention this particular case will bring. It's a great opportunity to bring light to this issue.

I'm not as well-versed in ATLUS' full catalogue as some, so even I could use a lesson in that regard.
Seconded.

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017
Somehow we've all forgotten that Rin dresses, appears and presents herself like a middle-schooler in the midst of all this.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Not the case in Classic but then again that was handled by SEGA Europe so I'm not entirely sure.
Yeah, I specifically want to know this about Full Body.
At this point she's already dead-everythinged.
The thing is that the optics of all of this are so bewilderingly bad that it'd be incredible for it to all be intentionally harmful and not, at least in part, horribly misguided.

There's the comment that they apparently don't demean Erica when she talks about participating in woman's wrestling now. So I want to know the credits element, too, to see if they at least attempted to rectify mistakes they made in the past, or if this was truly, 100% a case of them not giving a shit.

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

For example: Almost 10 pages of discussion and this is the first time it's been raised that Erica was dead named in the original title's credits. Wow.
The sexism is worth detailing as well, I think. For example, Persona 3 doesn't allow platonic relationships with girls because Hashino couldn't imagine friendship between boys and girls, as he admitted in an interview.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
I wonder which gaming outlets will have actual values and call this out.

Then again Persona "94 Opencritic" 5 wasn't affected by that until well after release.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
We've received a request to have this game banned and added to the prohibited games list. The team has discussed this, and our conclusion is that banning the game would inadvertently serve to sweep this issue under the rug, when it should really be brought to light and exposed.

However, please keep in mind that the contents described here are so blatantly offensive that defense of them, or any dismissal of relevant criticism, will be met with bans.

A staff message has also been added to the OT with clearly outlined rules and expectations of behavior.
Can we at least not have threads advertising the game, such as OTs and trailer threads?

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

We actually talked about it on page 2, for what it's worth. I brought it up and then it was backed up.

Last edited:

0MAR10

Oct 27, 2017
Louisiana
honestly disgusted . no respect for those who identify as trans . how is it that Nintendo that was an uptight japanese company progress a lot to having their main characters (male) cross dress in feminine clothes to hopefully make those who do in real life relate to the characters , while atlus is stuck in the past, keeping these disrespectful ideas?

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I specifically want to know this about Full Body.

The thing is that the optics of all of this are so bewilderingly bad that it'd be incredible for it to all be intentionally harmful and not, at least in part, horribly misguided.

There's the comment that they apparently don't demean Erica when she talks about participating in woman's wrestling now. So I want to know the credits element, too, to see if they at least attempted to rectify mistakes they made in the past, or if this was truly, 100% a case of them not giving a shit.
Here's the credits:

Catherine (Original):
NCpsv6W.gif

Catherine Full Body:
b2tPntw.gif

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
honestly disgusted . no respect for those who identify as trans . how is it that Nintendo that was an uptight japanese company progress a lot to having their main characters (male) cross dress in feminine clothes to hopefully make those who do in real life relate to the characters , while atlus is stuck in the past, keeping these disrespectful ideas?
That actually reminds me. While Hashino likely won't get any money from Joker being in Smash, having two characters tied to homophobic creators back-to-back may not be a good look for Nintendo if "Brave" is who we think it is (& is Fighters Pass Character #2).

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
I want to believe this is driven by ignorance rather than maliciousness, but I suppose the result is the same. Like, Vincent being shocked at Rin's genitalia is ultimately something realistic and could have set up a character arc of him learning to accept it or something but his reaction and pretty much everything else is some shit. I hope at some point it's brought up in an interview with Hashino.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
That actually reminds me. While Hashino likely won't get any money from Joker being in Smash, having two characters tied to homophobic creators back-to-back may not be a good look for Nintendo if "Brave" is who we think it is (& is Fighters Pass Character #2).
Hashino won't, but Atlus in general getting money from my DLC purchase bums me the fuck out. Atlus will enable Hashino until the end of time.

Who can add to this list of characters associated to assholes? Earthworm Jim maybe?

Feb 2, 2019
This is just disgusting. How hard it can be to not shit on people like this ? I decide to boycott all their shit for good and forever, that's beyond forgivable and not the first time.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
We've received a request to have this game banned and added to the prohibited games list. The team has discussed this, and our conclusion is that banning the game would inadvertently serve to sweep this issue under the rug, when it should really be brought to light and exposed.

However, please keep in mind that the contents described here are so blatantly offensive that defense of them, or any dismissal of relevant criticism, will be met with bans.

A staff message has also been added to the OT with clearly outlined rules and expectations of behavior.
Thank you, I think this is best. I'd rather save banning for games that are are just irredeemably offensive trash, not for something that's offensive but... well, the company isn't explicitly catering to transphobic trash so much as having ignorant/bigoted/thick headed people in charge. There's something to actually analyze/call out here, not just a trash tier game that actively has nothing worth discussing except for being awful.

And these changes definitely piss me off, at best it's naively done because they refuse to listen, at worst it's showing unflinching bigoted views. Some of these lines I'm hearing of seem to make me think it's like Hashino might kind of understand these topics but falls into bad/outdated global cultural views and won't seriously try to adjust otherwise. Should he be someone that would actually consider himself an ally or at least someone who doesn't harbor out and out hate in his heart, the best thing he can do is to steer away from these topics for good.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hashino won't, but Atlus in general getting money from my DLC purchase bums me the fuck out. Atlus will enable Hashino until the end of time.

Who can add to this list of characters associated to assholes? Earthworm Jim maybe?
Well if enough pressure is thrown at SEGA, they can remove Hashino at any time since they own Atlus now. So there is a small chance something can be done now that Atlus answers to someone

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
This thread wouldn't exist if the game is banned, yet I think it should exist. Talking about something is not the same as endorsing it. In your eyes Era is a giant advertisement board?

I didn't weigh in at all on whether or not I personally think the game should banned. I'm saying that if discusssion of the game was banned, and when games like Hatred are banned, that's what the purpose of the ban is. It isn't to hurt the game's feelings. It isn't to punish ResetEra's users. It's a way of preventing the harm caused by spreading awareness of the game and allowing the people who make it to benefit. Which is why comparing it to the works of an author who has been dead for decades is not equivalent.

And, yes, a forum dedicated to video games, which are luxury goods and generally commercial products, is largely a giant advertising board. Not to mention that, you know, the forum is an advertising board.

Nov 3, 2017
I am simultaneously extremely disappointed and yet entirely unsurprised

Jesus fucking Christ, Atlas. No wonder Persona 5 was such a shit game, y'all tried to write a story about the disenfranchised fighting the system when y'all just can't help but shit on the disenfranchised

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the credits:

Catherine (Original):
NCpsv6W.gif

Catherine Full Body:
b2tPntw.gif
Thanks. So they kept it. Welp.

There's going to need to be an official statement from some Atlus department, whether Japan or USA, sooner than later. It's getting to the point where they won't be able to simply ignore it.

Understandably, people point to Hashino a lot for this, but he wasn't the director for Catherine: Full Body. There are other scenario writers / planners for these games. There are other people who are complicit with the ideas, or are even responsible for them in the first place.

Hashino likes themes of togetherness and acceptance, but elements of games he's involved with go directly against that. I would love for him to finally acknowledge that in an interview.

An earlier comment said that there is negative feedback for this stuff in Japan, but I have to wonder just how loud/active it is. Atlus clearly focuses solely on Japan when it comes to the content of their games, so I feel like it'd take a real push from there.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I have loved Atlus games I would be a huge hypocrite to continue support this trash. Unless they make some major changes I'm done supporting their work

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if it's before you could say she met someone she loved / that loves her back sooner so transition could be postponed or not as necessary for her in this timeline because she ended up being happy with how things were ?

It's still pretty bad because it shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the experiences trans people go through. Why in the everloving hell would Erica delay transitioning just for Toby? Her life doesn't revolve around him; she transitioned in the original game for her own reasons, so the implication that she's waiting to tell him before transitioning is beyond fucked. Also, the "maybe it's not necessary for her because she's happy" is also incredibly messed up for reasons that should be obvious.

I'm not Trans, so I can't speak to someone else's experience, but I can't imagine someone like Erica would ever that long to transition. It just strains believability especially when you consider how happy she is post-transition (+the fact that the wedding at least takes place a decade later since Toby is 10 years younger than the main crew)

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I think you linked to the wrong post, but I see what you're referring to. Thanks for the correction!

Huh, that's bizarre. I think the link didn't copy right? I was having issues with that earlier; I think because I already had a forum link copied I didn't catch it this time. Weird.

EDIT: fixed it in that post, in any case

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Thanks. So they kept it. Welp.

There's going to need to be an official statement from some Atlus department, whether Japan or USA, sooner than later. It's getting to the point where they won't be able to simply ignore it.

Understandably, people point to Hashino a lot for this, but he wasn't the director for Catherine: Full Body. There are other scenario writers / planners for these games. There are other people who are complicit with the ideas, or are even responsible for them in the first place.

Hashino likes themes of togetherness and acceptance, but elements of games he's involved with go directly against that. I would love for him to finally acknowledge that in an interview.

An earlier comment said that there is negative feedback for this stuff in Japan, but I have to wonder just how loud/active it is. Atlus clearly focuses solely on Japan when it comes to the content of their games, so I feel like it'd take a real push from there.
Didn't Hashino direct the original Catherine though? There was a post earlier in this thread stating that the concept for Full Body is exactly what they wanted to do with Catherine but it wasn't the right "time" yet, whatever that means. I'd imagine he'd have quite a lot of influence in the making of Full Body, delegating a lot of the ideas and concept dev to those under him as you state.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
At best, Erica implies she still sees herself as a girl. But that line is a punchline to Toby saying he wants a girl like Catherine, so...

There is also a question of when this scene is set, because (and I hadn't remembered this so I really appreciate people focusing on it) Toby is much younger than the rest of the group, so despite the vague timing he's around so it's questionable why Erica hasn't transitioned.
Yeah, he's 23 in the game and only got his job recently iirc, so the picture of then together basically needs to be during the same period of time as the events of the game. Couldn't be much earlier since Toby wouldn't have his work uniform.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
If this got enough traction to the point that Hashimoto had to leave then no. No one is going to attempt to do that again especially when other developers under Atlus have never done anything like this.

Hashino's games are beloved in spite of their offensive handlings of the LGBT community not because of it
I honestly hope you're right.