• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
It's ultimately up to the antagonists of the game who aren't really good people since they're murdering men for not getting married and having families. That said, the game was clearly being transphobic (deadnaming, Vincent comments, etc.).
Yeah I suppose the additional context surrounding it sortve throws that theory out of the water.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I am sending a formal request to the admins to add Catherine: Full Body to the Era banlist. This is a situation where the game itself is indefensibly riddled with offensive and inexcusable content, and condoning said content in its core messaging; same as Hatred, Omega Labyrinth, or other entries on the list. We cannot give this shit a platform here.

Please quote this post if you would like me to add your name to the message.

EDIT: The staff have received and made a formal response to our petition. Please see Morrigan's post. I will not be collecting further signatures, though I thank those who signed with me.

Last edited:

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
What's weird to me about the transphobic/homophobic jokes in Atlus games is that they're completely out of character, every single time

Persona 4, and its spin-offs, have massive monologues about accepting who you are and being your true self. It's literally the theme of the game. But characters constantly bring up Kanji's shadow as a joke, even though that happens with literally no other character after they're recruited (imagine if everyone was like "gonna go strip, Rise?" it'd be appalling)

The frustrating thing is they have an out for most of it too - make Yosuke closeted. It wouldn't be perfect, but that sort of deflection would actually make him somewhat realistically written - speaking from personal experience as a teen. As is the case now, though, he becomes a baffling jerk to Kanji for no reason, and no one stops him. Teddie is even worse and I think he gets way too much of a free pass for his shtick.

Same goes for Persona 5, almost everyone is great to Lala but those two gay stereotypes are to be feared/laughed at.

IIRC Lala was one of the most popular characters even in Japan so maybe that'll tip make them tweak things for Persona 5 R. But probably not.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not really committed to doing a boycott on Atlus products but I completely understand why people are willing to do it after this.

Regardless hopefully Atlus actually does do something about this because this goes beyond having some dumb shitty side characters that you meet once or twice in a 80 hour RPG. This is a full blown ending that you work towards and is implied to be the ideal ending, this is way more insidious to what they've done before.

So whatever Atlus does with Hashino I honestly wouldn't mind if the next Persona is handled by someone else if he's not going to take the hint or if they should even give him a chance to do it. He's made some cool ambitious games with a great style but if his touch is going to continue some toxic feelings toward the LGBT community then I wouldn't mind it if Atlus showed him the door.

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So whatever Atlus does with Hashino I honestly wouldn't mind if the next Persona is handled by someone else if he's not going to take the hint or if they should even give him a chance to do it. He's made some cool ambitious games with a great style but if his touch is going to continue some toxic feelings toward the LGBT community then I wouldn't mind it if Atlus showed him the door.
Hes out of P studio already

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
A nigga really had hope for this game
How incredibly dissapointing

I am sending a formal request to the admins to add Catherine: Full Body to the Era banlist. This is a situation where the game itself is indefensibly riddled with offensive and inexcusable content, and condoning said content in its core messaging; same as Hatred, Omega Labyrinth, or other entries on the list. We cannot give this shit a platform here.

Hold on now, I'm going to need some sources for "indefensibly riddled with offensive and inexcusable content"
Like what else has Full Body done wrong because I'm only hearing of the content based on this OP so far
Because unless there is minor sexualization shit going on this is no where near Hatred, Omega Labyrinth or those other entries.

Jan 3, 2019
Naoto's issues were as similar backdown to Kanji's where they just throw up a big shrug and grin and wave it off and the game continues. They did try and solidify her sexuality LATER with that god awful P4 manga where she's grown up, working for the police force with her motorcycle robot boyfriends that thankfully was later deemed non canon.
I'm guessing this sounds way cooler than it actually is.

I did not play Persona 4.

But from my secondhand understanding of it, it at least seems like a case where they were intending to be critical of societal pressures around gender roles, and then walked right into issues of sexuality and gender that they seemingly weren't equipped to deal with through that.

That's... not exactly a thing you can say about Persona 5 or either version of Catherine.
That's spot on.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I should be surprised that Atlus would be this anti-LGBT+ but I'm not. If you paid attention to their games you would see a consistent message across all of them.

Atlus hates LGBT+ people. There is no defending them any longer.

Fuck Atlus.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm racking my brain trying to see if this is just taken out of context or something, because Atlus can't be that stupid, but I can't think of anything.

Guess they're just that stupid.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_transgender_and_transsexual_fictional_characters#Games
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_animated_works_with_LGBT_characters
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fictional_non-binary_characters

While these lists are far from comprehensive, the amount of work that's sourced from Japan that treats LGTBQ characters with dignity and respect shows that this isn't an issue with all of Japan's creative sector. Not even close.

Combine this with Persona 2's treatment of the protagonist being able to come out as gay (with that being treated as the "canon" option by the writer), and it's clear that at least some of the blame lies with Katsura Hashino.

Sega/Atlus should respond to this and make amends somehow. This is a massive problem that silence will only make worse.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
I should be surprised that Atlus would be this anti-LGBT+ but I'm not. If you paid attention to their games you would see consistent message across all of them.

Atlus hates LGBT+ people. There is no defending them any longer.

Fuck Atlus.
I'm really seeing it now, P4 gave me a little hope albeit small and P5 just slapped it out of my hands but this is just what the fuck

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'll gladly co-sign.

Oct 27, 2017

I already messaged Cerium, but go ahead and add my name, especially if this message is being sent to the other admins.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
This was probably done to attempt Gay relationships in their games only that they traded in their trans character and implied the transition made her "miserable" to my understanding
Yeah. It seems like they did actually want to improve on the 'LGB' part of their reputation as I think there's also dialogue talking about how two of the female wrestlers they watch were dating, and it's treated without turning it into a joke about them. They trashed the 'T' part.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Co Signed

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I gess it will depend if a lot of people is also feeling hurt by this. Unfortunately, if we're alone in our little corner of the internet to be angry it will not have much impact. Do we know what is the general feeling outside of Era?
This news came from a Tweet so I'd imagine it will spread through Twitter.

I don't think this will go unnoticed. Only reason it would is Full Body not being that well known to the public but even then I don't think "Atlus made a super trans phobic good ending" is going to not get attention. Only reason Atlus got away with it before is that they were typically on a smaller scale. Hell P5 which was previously the worst offender with this was just 2 shitty side characters that would barely get 5 minutes of screentime. This is so much more prevalent in the game

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
the fuck is wrong with hashino seriously

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Can we remove the single player so Catherine is just a purely competitive multiplayer game? It is the truest format that not even Atlus could hamfistly mess it up.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017

Sure

Oct 27, 2017
GA, USA

I'll cosign. I had kinda been looking forward to this release, but fuck this nonsense. It's totally inexcusable.

Some perspective from an industry member.

Syrenne

Producer of Manifold Garden
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Hello, trans woman who works in the industry and also is about a dozen hours into the Japanese version of Full Body here. A few things:

1.)
The tweet isn't misrepresenting that specific ending. It's absolutely fucked. Also not the only transphobic moment in the game. When Vincent sees that Rin has male genitalia for the first time he feels tricked and instinctively hits Rin, causing her to run away. The rest of her route, should you pursue it, is about tracking her down.

2.) From Japanese industry scuttlebutt, this is 100% Hashino and his view of LGBTQ and global issues. Sickening given that he said that Full Body was the "completed" concept of the original Catherine, that they supposedly had to hold back on because society was in a different place 8 years ago. And then they made it worse.

3.) Atlus self-professes to not thinking at all about the global market when making games. I know very directly from current and former Atlus USA employees that they will never listen to Atlus USA when they make suggestions or voice opinions about the contents of the games. That said, it isn't only the Western audience that finds this shit gross. The Japanese market did in fact complain about Erica in the original game, and I've already seen early complaints about Full Body's treatment. To say that there isn't an active and vocal LGBTQ community in Japan is ignorance; they just don't get international media coverage.

4.) I have it on good authority that Atlus USA has been...doing their best with what they've been given. But I still expect this content to be in the Western release. Ugh.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Eat shit, Atlus

You can't keep getting away everytime

Catherine is one of my favorite games from last gen, but the guys at the beach in Persona 5, Anne's sexualization also in Persona 5 and now this ...

It's clear that Atlus is filth.

And it's not about the "western players reception", people. It shows how the japanese society is dealing with this stuff ,and it's very alarming.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Man, Atlas has always been terrible with this shit yet they somehow always make it worse whenever they re-release their games with new content (see P4: Golden as well). I just knew they would do some dumb shit with Catherine: Fully Body.

I'm just done giving them the benefit of the doubt at this point.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Not familiar with the characters....but I am aware Treehouse did what they could for the localization to make the game less offensive, so I'd be curious if that holds up in the Japanese version.

They said "Fate", not "Fates".

Pretty sure they meant Fate/Stay night (or more specifically Fate/Grand Order), not Fire Emblem.

kanji's dungeon is a bathhouse and his shadow is a gay caricature that rivals the guys from persona 5

welp

that's worse than I knew, than, huh

Add me to it.

I'm of the opinion that we could stand to do this for more games as is.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

John Hancock

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Not familiar with the characters....but I am aware Treehouse did what they could for the localization to make the game less offensive, so I'd be curious if that holds up in the Japanese version.
Er, not Fire Emblem Fates, Fate as in FateGo, Fate Stay/Night and such. My mistake for not being clearer.

Talking about Chevalier d'Eon, Astolfo, and Shi Huangdi for clarity here.

no, you see, it's their culture... if you ignore all the other japanese works that treat LGBT characters decently and also ignore that it's the same guy doing this stuff over and over again
Ah yes, my mistake. We need to give Hashino all the leeway, that's the only way one can justify such a blunder! ... aaaaaaaAAAAAAAAA

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I am not sure a ban is needed, specially because of the .... ludonarrative dissonance between the story and the puzzle gameplay and lots of people play the puzzle part don't giving zero fucks about the rest. While in other banned games you can't spend 5 minutes without meeting something that justify's the ban.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Hello, trans woman who works in the industry and also is about a dozen hours into the Japanese version of Full Body here. A few things:

1.)
The tweet isn't misrepresenting that specific ending. It's absolutely fucked. Also not the only transphobic moment in the game. When Vincent sees that Rin has male genitalia for the first time he feels tricked and instinctively hits Rin, causing her to run away. The rest of her route, should you pursue it, is about tracking her down.

Welp, this is the confirmation i needed to see really, thanks, been avoiding spoilers for this game but I can't overlook this shit especially when i wanted to believe they would do better.

Def add me to that list

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How and why do they keep getting WORSE at this? They were miles better 20 years ago. It makes no sense. Maybe my memory is faulty.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018

Sign me up.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017

1.)

2.) From Japanese industry scuttlebutt, this is 100% Hashino and his view of LGBTQ and global issues. Sickening given that he said that Full Body was the "completed" concept of the original Catherine, that they supposedly had to hold back on because society was in a different place 8 years ago. And then they made it worse.

3.) Atlus self-professes to not thinking at all about the global market when making games. I know very directly from current and former Atlus USA employees that they will never listen to Atlus USA when they make suggestions or voice opinions about the contents of the games. That said, it isn't only the Western audience that finds this shit gross. The Japanese market did in fact complain about Erica in the original game, and I've already seen early complaints about Full Body's treatment. To say that there isn't an active and vocal LGBTQ community in Japan is ignorance; they just don't get international media coverage.

4.) I have it on good authority that Atlus USA has been...doing their best with what they've been given. But I still expect this content to be in the Western release. Ugh.
Thank you for this information. It was very informative. :)

I don't expect any changes, but I imagine contacting Sega heads would probably be the most effective (along with probably the issue just getting more attention). And yeah. It sucks that Atlus USA will probably have to deal with the brunt of this as I know it clearly was a bad situation for them.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Who is trans in 5? We have those awful 2 gay dudes who exist just to be sexual pedophiles but I thought the only one that could even be considered as trans was Lola which honestly wasn't bad insomuch as she was a very minor character.

Lala is a caricature. One that is treated well by her friends and colleagues, but a caricature non-the-less. Her situation is played for laughs. It's one of those things that I feel gets overlooked because the running gag of the two guys is so over the top, it steals away from it.

But I don't see Lala as a character where you go "yeah, no, she's a really great piece of representation".

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

1.)

Jeez, I feel kinda sorry for Atlus USA for the boat they're in. From what I've heard, Sega of America doesn't have much pull either, so even they can't stamp down on it. And Sega Europe seemingly didn't even know Full Body existed, what with the PC port of the original.

Also that spoiler tag...

Kinda hoping it flops hard at this point, everywhere, even for a nicher Atlus title. For that reason...

I'll co-sign too.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door (Japanese version) treated trans people right in TWO THOUSAND FOUR. Catherine Full Body can't do it in TWO THOUSAND NINTEEN.

1.)

Thank you for this. I'm glad to hear Atlus USA gets it, but is given so little to work with unfortunately. Would Sega have any authority to force a change in Atlus over this shit?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WRT Naoto and Kanji my interpretation of them was that the devs included the Queer themes as shock value before the characters are revealed to be perfectly heteronormative all along. That you cannot romance Naoto unless you treat her as a damsel in distress and can then coerce her into dressing up as a schoolgirl for your amusement only reinforces this. Kanji, I feel, was made to be more interpreted as queer by the localization but I cannot confirm that.

Persona 4, in particular, is very much about the message that the status quo is what's best for everyone. I keep saying this but if they actually went through with Yosuke being a love interest we'd be talking up P4 for decades to come.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

1.)

Fucking woof...