SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA
I know this is being discussed in the Ukraine war thread, but this does deserve its own dedicated one.

www.theguardian.com

Shooting and blast reported at concert hall near Moscow

RIA agency says at least three people in camouflage gear opened fire, while Tass reports a blast and a fire

At least a dozen people have been wounded and many more wounded according to unofficial reports in the worst terror attack in Russia in years, as gunmen in combat fatigues opened fire and detonated explosives in a big concert hall in Moscow.

Photos showed the Crocus City Music Hall engulfed in flames as videos emerged from the concert hall attack, showing at least four gunmen opening fire from automatic weapons as panicked Russians fled for their lives.

In one video, three men in fatigues carrying rifles fired at point blank range into bodies strewn about the lobby of the concert hall. The attackers also apparently detonated explosives, as the the sounds of blasts could be heard in other videos from the attack.

Moscow mayor Sergei Sobyanin called the attack a "great tragedy." At least 50 ambulances had been dispatched to the site of the attack.

"The attackers presumably opened fire at the entrance to the building during a concert, using automatic weapons, and then a fire began in the building," said emergency services. Authorities said that up to five people took part in the attack.

Russian media reports said that riot police units were sent to the area as people were being evacuated.

Oct 27, 2017
The US warned about this attack 15 days ago, stating their intelligence indicated an extremist attack targeting concerts was coming soon. I would think this is related to Islamic extremists re: Russian territory in central Asia.

Kensation

The Enlightened "this guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If only the Russian "government " was as concerned about protecting their own people as they are about trying to genocide others.

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
RIP to the victims.

the conspiracy part of my brain immediately went to 'Putin + false flag' but ignoring that, any guesses to who the actual terrorists might be?

svacina

Oct 25, 2017
oh look, it's just like before the second war in chechnya
vlad needs to sell the next mobilisation wave

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
The US warned about this attack 15 days ago, stating their intelligence indicated an extremist attack targeting concerts was coming soon. I would think this is related to Islamic extremists re: Russian territory in central Asia.
Do you have any news articles about this that I can read up on?

Edit: Thanks for the news coverage on this. Ugh this is awful.

Last edited:

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

MOSCOW, March 8 (Reuters) - The U.S. embassy in Russia warned that "extremists" had imminent plans for an attack in Moscow, hours after Russian security services said they had foiled a planned shooting at a synagogue by a cell from the Afghan arm of Islamic State.
The embassy, which has repeatedly urged all U.S. citizens to leave Russia immediately, gave no further details about the nature of the threat, but said people should avoid concerts and crowds and be aware of their surroundings.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
There is some ugly ass footage of civilians getting shot point blank so beware before you check this out on social media

RUFF BEEST

Banned
Jun 10, 2022
Toronto, ON
That's awful. Politically speaking I just really hope it's not a pro-Ukraine group behind this as the Western support for Ukraine feels very fragile as-is. One only need look at what Israel is doing unchecked to see how a terrorist act can justify huge responses from state militaries without much pushback. 😞 Knowing Putin, he will probably try to blame Ukraine anyway...

Jan 20, 2022
Feelings on Russian government aside, the victims were likely civilians so RIP to them. I fear the Russian response

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Hard to see how Putin won't use this as justification for mobilization

Probably why no warning was given despite western governments predicting it.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Have you read any interviews with honest to god russian civilians?

While many Russians do support Putin, it's important to remember that part of the Russian social contract is "don't interfere in our private lives too much, and we don't think about politics." So people will uniformly say they like Putin, Russia is strong, etc, but that doesn't mean they internally believe it. The Russian citizenry is generally detached from Russian politics (since they don't really have input), and they are threatened by prison or fines if they speak out in any way. As I said, there are certainly people who blindly believe that anything Russia does is the correct thing (including the atrocities in Ukraine, etc), but there is also a giant, giant swath of people who simply don't pay attention because they've been trained not to.

And I say this as someone who is of Ukrainian descent who is actively involved in local efforts in my area to secure more funding for Ukraine in the war, help local refugees, etc.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
Woah, the footage going around is insane. If you are sensitive be careful with your searching.

Peppi

Banned
Jul 26, 2023
Footage makes it look really bad.

Whoever is behind it (false flag or other
group), Putin will benefit. Fucking shit.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Made the mistake of hitting Play on some video footage. Absolutely horrific.

I wonder if this will be an outlier or just the start of many.

svacina

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Months): Dismissing civilian suffering
Are you implying civilians deserve to be killed in a terror attack?
Nobody deserves to be killed in a terrorist attack, it's just that the same people being shot there would cheer on me being murdered and I am fed up.

What do you expect people who are routinely abused if they outwardly profess anti-government sentiment to say?
I am sorry but no. The russian insane opinions about, well, everything are not the result of their government/secret police. Their government/secret police are the results of the average russian's insane opinions about everything.

There is no "if only Putin were gone." There will be no change, it's fucking Russia.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Utterly horrific. Zero interest in watching the footage and don't need it described in the thread. Can only wish the best for the survivors and the families of all.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
Nobody deserves to be killed in a terrorist attack, it's just that the same people being shot there would cheer on me being murdered and I am fed up.
And similarly if there was a terrorist attack in the heart of MAGA country, say an Alabama football game, I would still think that's a very bad and horrific thing.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada

MOSCOW, March 8 (Reuters) - The U.S. embassy in Russia warned that "extremists" had imminent plans for an attack in Moscow, hours after Russian security services said they had foiled a planned shooting at a synagogue by a cell from the Afghan arm of Islamic State.

The embassy, which has repeatedly urged all U.S. citizens to leave Russia immediately, gave no further details about the nature of the threat, but said people should avoid concerts and crowds and be aware of their surroundings.

Afghans radicals beefing with Russia now of all times is bizarre.

RIP to civilians who lost their lives.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
Afghans radicals beefing with Russia now of all times is bizarre.

RIP to civilians who lost their lives.
I'm a little out of date but I know there has been numerous articles about how minorities in Russia have been forced to the Ukrainian front lines when the "real Russians" in moscow etc get drafted at pitiful numbers comparatively

BackLogJoe

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
There's going to be a lot of casualties from this. Putin is going to drop the hammer on whoever did this.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Russia was warned about this 2 weeks and chose to ignore it. Makes me think that Putin wanted this to happen to justify whatever other bullshit he has planned. The footage is horrific and regardless of Russia's horrible leadership, I feel for the people. Nobody should have to suffer through something like this.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I'm a little out of date but I know there has been numerous articles about how minorities in Russia have been forced to the Ukrainian front lines when the "real Russians" in moscow etc get drafted at pitiful numbers comparatively

I've read about that as well.

Minorities, folks in prisons, captured Ukranians, and others who are deemed lesser than "pure stock" Russians have been getting shipped to the front lines.

Shit is fucked up, they were warned about this weeks ago.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Russia was warned about this 2 weeks and chose to ignore it. Makes me think that Putin wanted this to happen to justify whatever other bullshit he has planned. The footage is horrific and regardless of Russia's horrible leadership, I feel for the people. Nobody should have to suffer through something like this.

Again, I don't think it's worth speculating on this in the short term while it's still an active incident.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Fucking horrific, and even more fucked-up if the Russian government was indeed warned about this 2 weeks ago and did nothing.

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017

Edit: Thanks for the news coverage on this. Ugh this is awful.
Some background:
Russia is a familiar enemy for Sunni jihadists and has found itself in the crosshairs of IS-K for several reasons. According to IS-K, Moscow's hands are covered in Muslim blood, especially in Afghanistan, where the legacy of the decade-long Soviet-Afghan War still looms large. IS-K narratives frequently point to Russia's historical entanglement in Afghanistan and current relations with the Taliban, highlighting Moscow's lobbying of the Taliban to gain access to Afghanistan, while in return, the Taliban hopes to acquire international recognition and support.

Further, the Russian military's brutal tactics in multiple Chechen wars and its scorched-earth counterinsurgency campaign in the Caucasus mean that there is no love lost for Russia. The Kremlin's continued assistance to notorious dictator Bashar al-Assad in Syria, where Russian air support targeted Sunni strongholds during the long-running civil war, cements Russia's image as a worthwhile enemy to focus on. Taken together, these factors make Russia an attractive target for IS-K propaganda.
foreignpolicy.com

The Islamic State Has a New Target: Russia

The group’s Afghanistan branch is capitalizing on the Russia-Ukraine war to recruit, fundraise, and incite violence.

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
Absolutely horrifying. As others have said, stay off Twitter. There is graphic footage of the attack starting to spread and it's not for the weak of stomach.

Regardless of the issues with the Russian government and the dictator in charge, those are INNOCENT people. They were just trying to live there lives in peace.
My heart goes out to them, but I fear what this will be turned into.