• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bastables

Dec 3, 2017

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi rajiun. Hope my New Zealand brothers can stay strong during this, and for white supremacists all over to face consequences.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Shut fucking 8chan/4chan/all the fucking chans down. Gov needs to come in and tear it up. Fuck this shit. Anonymity isnt worth this shit anymore.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
These are politicians who are in power. Ignoring them isn't the answer.

Sure but taking an issue that's deeply rooted in anti-immigration and anti-PC rhetoric that a good number of people aren't willing to call out and boiling it down to the worst of the worst doesn't further the discussion. No one here disagrees that this idiot shouldn't be in power but putting everything on one extremist when Australian politics (and global politics really) still treat Islamophobia and anti-immigration sentiment as a mainstream position isn't productive imo. But this is not the thread for this debate so I'll leave it at that.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
Can we send all the far-right assholes to Mars?

No support, just like two ships of supplies and then have them just fuck off. They can have their preciousness ethnostate there with Donald Trump, their glorious leader, to guide and protect them to safety. Lol

More realistically DEPLATFORM PEOPLE WHO SPREAD RACIST IDEOLOGY, IMPEACH THEM, BLOCK THEM, whatever. I hate seeing casual racist/xenophobic jokes constantly and now my suspicions are pretty much confirmed, if a lot of these "trolls" had a chance with zero reperussions, they'd kill me and other people like me: Muslims, black people, minorities of any sort, anyone they dehumanize all while cracking jokes just like these monsters and Christchurch. Fuck Donald Trump, Fuck Ben Shapiro, PDP, any alt-right or gateway alt-right talking head/YouTubed, and fuck anyone who aligns with their views. They have blood on their hands.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just woke up awhile ago and my first news on this was in the fucking Pachter thread. Ugh.

RIP to the victims.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The manifesto is a trojan horse to gateway people into being "redpilled". It's full of shit that is meant to lead people into more and more alt-right internet shit.

Don't post it y'all.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
D1rWsCPUYAExYHA.jpg%3Alarge

This is an elected Australian Senator....
"As always they will claim that it was about nationalism, because you know, the guys didn't literally say it was about white ethnonationalism or anything like that."

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
Wow at that statement and then he quotes his fucking holy book to boot in the most un ironic way, he may as well made a statement to invite more killings.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's a fringe politician, he doesn't represent the majority by a long shot.
I'm not white, man. If he can thrive enough to get where he is, then make that statement in this very moment, it means he sees something that you might be missing, something that facilitates the release of that letter.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I'm going to be able to sleep tonight.

I will go to Friday prayers tomorrow. I'm not scared. But I'm sick to my stomach.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The world is not doing that bad, on average, it just feels that way because of the relative peace we live in. What do you think was happening (and sometimes still happens) when a city "fell" during a war and was sacked/pillaged. Imagine this feeling you have right now, multiply that by a few hundred or thousand times and look back at every story you've read about a sacking of a city.

I get that this is supposed to be a call for optimism in that "we can and will do better", and that's an perfectly fine stance to have, if only for one's own mental health, but I find the logic disingenuous. As if a couple decades of relative peace after two of the most destructive and fatal wars in human history is something to be proud of.

True peace isn't just going to fall into our laps as a natural consequence of technology and globalization, it's only going to happen by a concerted and continued collective effort by humanity to empower those who desire unity and marginalize those that don't. Absent that, it only takes a few bad eggs in the right positions of power to ruin all the "progress" we've made up to this point, and it's quite possible that that's already happened and we're simply waiting for the consequences to fully manifest themselves. Excuse me if me and others don't like humanity's odds in that situation. Incidents like this where people who have nothing to gain and are in want of nothing and are driven by nothing more than an intense, festering hate for groups that have never done them harm are capable of such unthinkable atrocities against their fellow man don't do much to further the idea that the world is doing fine "on average". Especially considering the reaction to this event by people with a lot more power and influence than everyone on this forum combined several times over.

Boy do I hope I'm wrong though.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
FBI needs to fucking shut these fucking incel fucking websites down. enough with the anonymity being a shield. fuck it all. the internet needs to be started over where actions online can and will lead to consequences in real life. fuck it all. burn it down. im so fucking sick to my stomach right now. Subscribe to pewdiepie? are you fucking kidding me. FUCK

Mr.Arrow

Dec 6, 2018
Man that senator statement is literally Trump's level of whataboutism.

Australia politics is a disgrace.

Oct 27, 2017
The only platform these white nationalists deserve involves a trap door, rope, and a short drop.

These people and their sympathizers are quite literally the scum of the Earth.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any law enforcement experts here want to comment on the time it took for NZ officers to respond?

I feel like it took too long and surely there should've been nearby police presence?

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
This needs to be said, every fucking day until we root this garbage out from society:

No More Nazis.
The problem is the people who refuse to acknowledge the threat. There are people who will happily sit on the sidelines and play referee.

imo there needs to be some major changes to the way the internet is run. Places like 8chan shouldn't be allowed to exist.

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Fucking Christ. What a horrible thing to hear about right before I go to bed. New Zealand no less. These fucks are everywhere and I don't know how to stop it at this point.

RIP to the victims.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I get that this is supposed to be a call for optimism in that "we can and will do better", and that's an perfectly fine stance to have, if only for one's own mental health, but I find the logic disingenuous. As if a couple decades of relative peace after two of the most destructive and fatal wars in human history is something to be proud of.

True peace isn't just going to fall into our laps as a natural consequence of technology and globalization, it's only going to happen by a concerted and continued collective effort by humanity to empower those who desire unity and marginalize those that don't. Absent that, it only takes a few bad eggs in the right positions of power to ruin all the "progress" we've made up to this point, and it's quite possible that that's already happened and we're simply waiting for the consequences to fully manifest themselves. Excuse me if me and others don't like humanity's odds in that situation. Incidents like this where people who have nothing to gain and are in want of nothing and are driven by nothing more than an intense, festering hate for groups that have never done them harm are capable of such unthinkable atrocities against their fellow man don't do much to further the idea that the world is doing fine "on average". Especially considering the reaction to this event by people with a lot more power and influence than everyone on this forum combined several times over.

Boy do I hope I'm wrong though.

I'm not an optimist though. I acknowledge that this is the most peaceful time for humans, but as you said, it is just a fleeting peace. It might last another generation or another 10 years, but humans will devolve into their natural warring state soon enough. We can enjoy this small golden age of peace, try and do better but always understand that we cannot expect the defining human reaction over the past 4000 years to suddenly disappear from our collective consciousness.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Here is the Australian Prime Minister calling them an "extremist, right-wing, violent terrorist". 30 seconds into the video.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
I see that Fraser Anning scumbag is saying even worse shit on Twitter. What vile electorate in Australia put him in office?!

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Man that senator statement is literally Trump's level of whataboutism.

Australia politics is a disgrace.
The guy knows he is about to be kicked the fuck out of office in 2 months, so he's taking a leaf from the Trump book in a bid to keep his seat. He lies, and lies and lies and acts like a monster in order to please his base of....19 people.

Seriously, this guy got 19 votes in the last election. He's only in office because our senate uses modified instant runoff voting, and the guy in the same party on the ballot who was elected was found to be ineligible. So senator scumbag was appointed to office in his place, being next on the ticket for that party. Only 19 people voted for him directly.
That party has since self destructed into irrelevance (again) and the guy is now an independent.

Bastables

Dec 3, 2017
Any law enforcement experts here want to comment on the time it took for NZ officers to respond?

I feel like it took too long and surely there should've been nearby police presence?
Seem to have reacted quite quickly, after the fact, even had Army engineers rapidly deployed to disarm the ied's attached to the terrorist getaway veh's after ramming one of them off the road.

GestaltGaz

Oct 28, 2017
Ardern said they have 3 people in custody not 4. Also from the Guardian
New Zealand police have conducted a controlled detonation at Auckland's largest train station, the Britomart Transport Centre.
The bomb squad attended the station 40 minutes ago, and cordoned off the area. Just minutes ago an explosion was heard. Authorities told local media it was a controlled detonation.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...d-as-police-respond-to-critical-incident-live

Koo

Dec 10, 2017

This is a good point! It's important to think about the kind of language we use and how we frame things. This goes a hundred times over for news organizations. I can understand why many would be offended by wording this in such a way.

The media needs to be accountable and not frame things carelessly or in a mealy mouthed way. Call this what it is; a terrorist attack, for instance. The more news outlets understand that and change the better we're able to talk about what happened and hopefully to get people to understand the seriousness of white nationalism and white supremacists.

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
This has really broken me. It's 7am here and I haven't slept a wink. I wanna just...get off this ride.