• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Any law enforcement experts here want to comment on the time it took for NZ officers to respond?

I feel like it took too long and surely there should've been nearby police presence?

Christchurch is not New York or London or Chicago. It's a city of only 400,000 people in a country where gun violence is non-existent. We do not have the same resources to expect and rapidly respond to mass shootings, because they simply don't happen here.

Oct 29, 2017
The problem is the people who refuse to acknowledge the threat. There are people who will happily sit on the sidelines and play referee.

imo there needs to be some major changes to the way the internet is run. Places like 8chan shouldn't be allowed to exist.
Nope, freedom of speech man. However should there be measures taken to ensure public sites are monitored for terrorist plottings, of course. But no there should be no legal power to stop sites that do not contain illegal materials from existing.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Christchurch is not New York or London or Chicago. It's a city of only 400,000 people in a country where gun violence is non-existent. We do not have the same resources to expect and rapidly respond to mass shootings, because they simply don't happen here.
Fair point.

However I hope this tragedy precipitates some change.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
I see that Fraser Anning scumbag is saying even worse shit on Twitter. What vile electorate in Australia put him in office?!

Technically, he wasn't elected (In fact he got 19 first preference votes), when the person who was elected was deemed ineligible, he got given the job

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
D1rWsCPUYAExYHA.jpg%3Alarge

This is an elected Australian Senator....
Unbelievable.

Un-fucking-believable.

Within hours of the incident, he's blaming 40 victims for their deaths.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Any law enforcement experts here want to comment on the time it took for NZ officers to respond?

I feel like it took too long and surely there should've been nearby police presence?

From the time he opens fire to the time he gets in his car is like six minutes. In a peaceful country where officers are not expected to deal with AR wielding lunatics, I wouldn't expect them to show up in that amount of time. There are several people just milling about outside after the shooting has happened, and a few more are killed as a result. I don't expect many people to know what gunfire sounds like, especially when it's muffled indoors. No one knows at what point a call went out for help.

There's video of them ramming the shooter with the Subaru off the road and arresting him. I don't think the police are at fault here, most of those people were dead within two minutes.

Oct 29, 2017
The guy knows he is about to be kicked the fuck out of office in 2 months, so he's taking a leaf from the Trump book in a bid to keep his seat. He lies, and lies and lies and acts like a monster in order to please his base of....19 people.

Seriously, this guy got 19 votes in the last election. He's only in office because our senate uses modified instant runoff voting, and the guy in the same party on the ballot who was elected was found to be ineligible. So senator scumbag was appointed to office in his place, being next on the ticket for that party. Only 19 people voted for him directly.
That party has since self destructed into irrelevance (again) and the guy is now an independent.
I hope he is out as soon as possible, really grinds my gears how people like him just Breed homegrown acts of terror, and are still socially accepted enough to be in power.

Nov 7, 2017
That Fraser Anning statement is appalling. I'm ashamed to live in Queensland with trash like that representing the country. What a monstrously fucked thing to say.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I see that Fraser Anning scumbag is saying even worse shit on Twitter. What vile electorate in Australia put him in office?!

basically he was 3rd on the one nation (amazingly, the less racist option here) ticket and the guy above him got booted for being english and not declaring it (it was a thing) so he got in by default on pauline hanson's coattails. he then immediately quit the party and went independent. afaik he only had 19 first preference votes.

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
So depressing, fuck that politician.

Terrorists to him are the ones who help push his agenda, if he's white, then that is "something else entirely".

NZ era, vote this fuck to irrelevancy please.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From the time he opens fire to the time he gets in his car is like six minutes. In a peaceful country where officers are not expected to deal with AR wielding lunatics, I wouldn't expect them to show up in that amount of time. There are several people just milling about outside after the shooting has happened, and a few more are killed as a result. I don't expect many people to know what gunfire sounds like, especially when it's muffled indoors. No one knows at what point a call went out for help.

There's video of them ramming the shooter with the Subaru off the road and arresting him. I don't think the police are at fault here, most of those people were dead within two minutes.
Good insight. Definitely not blaming the police however I feel like they should do a better job of scouring places like 8chan.

I sincerely hope this brings about change to go after these racist cowards.

Bastables

Dec 3, 2017
Note that NZ has a total population of just under 4.8 million people. 40 people dead is a big death toll.
yeah this, nz police have pistols in the boot of their cars, not on their person. The assault rifles unless things have changed will require a sgt with a "key" to unlock for deployment.

Nz not been cool with officers of the law gunning down citizens, so weapons aren't strictly part of everyday uniform.

Nov 14, 2017
Yeah, basically. I can't believe that's an official statement from the government. That's literally the same as the shooters' view.
It's not from the government, it's from a Senator who isn't a member of any political party because he's too much of a piece of shit even for the far right who were initially willing to have him.
I'm not white, man. If he can thrive enough to get where he is, then make that statement in this very moment, it means he sees something that you might be missing, something that facilitates the release of that letter.
There are two things to consider here. Australia's federal senate uses a very complicated system of transferable preferences which means people can end up being elected despite receiving very small proportions of the vote. Secondly, Anning wasn't elected, but took the spot of a different member of his former party who was barred from serving.

There's lots of racism in Australia and the far right is certainly resurgent. But it's the same as it is in the US, UK, Europe, Canada etc... they're posting on a lot of the same sites, listening to a lot of the same people. Anning isn't evidence that there's something special about Australia in this regard. Similarly, that Australia is very likely to have a left-wing government soon isn't evidence that the symptoms that led to Trump, or Brexit, aren't present.
Well, Queensland, but see above (and DrSlek's post).

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
Nope, freedom of speech man. However should there be measures taken to ensure public sites are monitored for terrorist plottings, of course. But no there should be no legal power to stop sites that do not contain illegal materials from existing.

Freedom of speech doesn't extend to hate speech. the toxicity of 4chan is directly responsible for this terrorist attack and it should be deplatformed.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Why the fuck are some of you even watching/looking for the video?
Morbis curiosity? Why do you want to see death of innocent people?

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
I need a link that shows this being organized and cheered on by 8chan. I DO NOT WANT TO SEE THE VIDEO. But I need to let some people know that 8chan is doing this. They dont believe me. And they need their eyes opened.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
A CNN reporter who said she'd watched the video just walked through the whole thing, and it was just gut-wrenching to listen to. It apparently ends with the shooter pausing to allow pedestrians through a crosswalk.

Social media needs to be held accountable for the stuff the allow to be streamed live and content shared. There won't ever crack down on anything unless they start to face actual consequences for their actions. It'd be nearly impossible to fully rein in grey web sites like the chans, but the big tech companies you can regulate.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Saw footage that was playing on the news (obviously didn't show anything too graphic).

That rifle he was using and all those shots. WHAT THE FUCK.

how did he even get access to that?

Apparently he spent 2 years planning a terror attack and 3 months this attack when he moved to NZ.

How did they capture him?

The BLJ

Feb 2, 2019
France
So the shooter got caught alive, right?
I think that's interesting. If he died, he would have become an idol like Eliott Rodger. But if he's alive, there is time to show his allies how pathetic it is to do such a thing. And I'm glad that a shitty manifesto and a 8chan post aren't the last words we'll hear from him. I'm not a fan of people dying, but dying on that note in particular would be extremely pathetic.

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the shooter got caught alive, right?
I think that's interesting. If he died, he would have become an idol like Eliott Rodger. But if he's alive, there is time to show his allies how pathetic it is to do such a thing. And I'm glad that a shitty manifesto and a 8chan post aren't the last words we'll hear from him. I'm not a fan of people dying, but dying on that note in particular would be extremely pathetic.
4 people in connection to the shooting have been caught.

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
Plenty of people dogpiling on Fraser Anning's twitter posts, but he probably likes it.

Keep in mind peeps he got elected through some electoral bullshit, getting only 19 primary votes.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
Why the fuck are some of you even watching/looking for the video?
Morbis curiosity? Why do you want to see death of innocent people?
I've read a few people didn't know what it was when this was first starting. Had auto-play videos on twitter turned on and were horrified as a result. There may be some who want to see; but others were just surprised, shocked and unprepared due to that.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
I need a link that shows this being organized and cheered on by 8chan. I DO NOT WANT TO SEE THE VIDEO. But I need to let some people know that 8chan is doing this. They dont believe me. And they need their eyes opened.

You wouldn't want to see it anyway but I believe this thread covered the original thread on 8ch was wiped as they are trying to save face but honestly go to ANY youtube twitter thread and see what people are saying, hell go look at the US presidents twitter linked to Breitbart and see what the comments say.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
Yeah the more I look into this Fraser Anning guy the more I suspect this is all trolling for attention. Don't give him the time of day.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
I don't know if I'm going to be able to sleep tonight.

I will go to Friday prayers tomorrow. I'm not scared. But I'm sick to my stomach.

I'm terrified. There are a ton of children in the masjids during school breaks and women also come in larger numbers during breaks and it's clear that these psychos don't discriminate when it comes to women and children. But our mosque is pretty good about hiring police who stand guard during high tension times. But i still feel so scared. It's 2AM and I can't stop thinking of descriptions of the video coupled with the horrible comment sections on breitbart.

Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Downplaying hate speech.
Freedom of speech doesn't extend to hate speech. the toxicity of 4chan is directly responsible for this terrorist attack and it should be deplatformed.
I mean if it's direct advocation then yeah I agree shut at least a section of 4chan down until it can be restructured. However people should be allowed to have hateful views and express them as long as they are not directly advocating violence, and that applies to the internet aswell.