• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.

Major terrorist (white supremacist) attack in Christchurch (NZ) [UP6: 4 suspects in custody, 50 confirmed dead] (READ THREADMARKS)

Dec 3, 2017
One suspect will be up at high court tommrow morning, one there, armed two others being worked through. Armed defenders and special tactics units are being deployed to insure the safety of Mosques and worshipers.

SIS and gcsb of course had fuck all and passed nothing on to the police so of course the police were not watching them either. Aus intelligence services had nothing on them either.

Dec 2, 2017
Whilst I agree in sentiment, this isn't applied consistently.
Not always but I do look at this more as them not jumping to conclusions until they’ve interrogated the suspects and conducted a thorough investigation surrounding the manifesto and other social media posts he/they were responsible for.

I just wouldn’t immediately look at that definition and think the cops are being coy about what this is. Just that they’re properly investigating this in an official capacity before they attach “terrorism” to this without properly processing the motivation.

And again just to be clear, I view this as an act of terrorism without a doubt. Though my views and the views of the police of Christchurch before their investigation is complete likely will differ.

Oct 26, 2017
Australia has always been a bit isolated from the rest of the world. I honestly think this has played a part in some people’s extremist and ignorant views. The majority of people in Australia are not racist obviously, but there is a problem when we allow things to fester and not address them properly like the fact that an alt right rally was allowed go ahead in Melbourne and milo being allowed into the country.

When I say Australia’s been isolated, I say the average person doesn’t have a great understanding of international affairs. Anytime I go to the BBC website, it has a significantly more global viewpoint, but that sort of stuff is relegated to the middle pages of the broadsheet or SBS in Australia.

49 dead? Oh my god.

My heart bleeds for the families and friends of the deceased, and for New Zealand as a whole. This is cruelty in its purest form. To attack defenseless families during their time of peace and reflection is just.......barbaric. I'm absolutely stunned by the pure evilness of it all.

Oct 25, 2017
Aquilonia
Absolutely heartbreaking. Unfortunately O thought something like this would happen eventually. With so much anti muslim sentiment fuelled by the media and the rise of right wing extremism and nationalist politics festering online it seemed only a matter of time before some knuckle dragger acted on his repugnant views. Islamophobia is the most socially accepted form of prejudice. It is poison. My thoughts are with the victims and their families.

Oct 27, 2017
As long as hate speech is allowed, this radicalization of the far right is never going away. I want to see the same response from authorities as there is for any other terrorist attack.

Oct 28, 2017
: pewdiepie's culpability, all these white terrorists seem to cite those alt-right types (Shapiro, etc) in their manifestos so maybe, just maybe they share some responsibility? Maybe that's how they got radicalized in the first place?
They never will, they hold freedom of speech like it's a shield from the consequences of what they say. Their cowards, whispering all the worst things into the heads of the worst people

Oct 27, 2017
I’ve been nervous to ask, but who is Pewdiepie? I believe he’s a YouTuber but otherwise I don’t know a thing about him, other than this monster mentioned him apparently during the shooting.
Is one of the biggest YouTubers in the world, I don't watch any of his content but apparently he has been slipping right wing, racist, etc messages into his videos, endorsing people with those beliefs, and I'm sure much more. His platform is enormous.

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Still no word from my neighbor's family. At this point i'm preparing for the worse. I'm hoping they'll get back to her once things settle down, but I got her a flight there anyway.

So pissed at how helpless I feel right now.

Aug 25, 2018
Has NZ police done this inconsistently?
i think that's actually a side point - world media reports on stories across the globe, my point was to address those that label acts of terrorism inconsistently.

I think you've missed the point, but that's ok. Hope that has clarified it for you.

Nov 20, 2017
https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...b0eff8e0fc36e1#block-5c8b5e97e4b0eff8e0fc36e1

Here’s a transcript of Bush’s opening statement:

At the Deans Avenue mosque, we now know that 41 people have lost their lives. And at the Linwood mosque, 7 have lost their lives. Of the 40 people who have been treated at Christchurch Hospital, one has now passed. So the total number of people who have died in thishorrendous event are 49.

And our hearts go out to them and all of their families, all of their friends, all of their loved ones, and I want to assure everyone that we will do our best for them

I would like to also add that so far one person, a male in his late 20s, has been charged with murder, and should appear in the Christchurch Court tomorrow morning.

Three other people were apprehended. We believe one of those persons who was armed and was at the scene may have had nothing to do with this incident, and the two other people that have been apprehended, again in possession of firearms in the general environment, we are working through to understand what their involvement is.

We have recovered a number of firearms from both of the scenes, Linwood Avenue and Deans Avenue.

I would like to assure everyone around New Zealand that every available police and emergency resource with our other government agencies and Defence Force are doing everything they can to keep our communities safe.

We have had no other threats since we responded to this incident. We are working with a wide range of community to give support to everyone who needs it.

We have staff around the country ensuring that everyone is kept safe and that includes our armed defenders and special tactics groups right across the country being very vigilant and having a presence around all of our mosques, to ensure nothing further occurs. As I said, this is an evolving situation.

We will continue to bring you as much information as we possibly can. I will answer your questions in a minute if I can, but before I do, I would like to communicate the 0800 number for people to call for more information, especially around their loved ones, and that number is 0800115019.

I would also like to commend - and some of you would have seen the brave actions on social media of police staff who responded to this incident - they have gone above and beyond their communities to apprehend at least one of these offenders. So I take my hat off to all of my staff.

I’m extremely proud of what they have done to date. Thank you.

Aug 25, 2018
Not always but I do look at this more as them not jumping to conclusions until they’ve interrogated the suspects and conducted a thorough investigation surrounding the manifesto and other social media posts he/they were responsible for.

I just wouldn’t immediately look at that definition and think the cops are being coy about what this is. Just that they’re properly investigating this in an official capacity before they attach “terrorism” to this without properly processing the motivation.

And again just to be clear, I view this as an act of terrorism without a doubt. Though my views and the views of the police of Christchurch before their investigation is complete likely will differ.
I'm lock step with you. But it's still inconsistently labelled in world media ie that act of patience isn't as forthcoming for others.

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't care what happens to this guy/these people in prison; they're going away for a long time and I hope their names will be forgotten forever. But I hope big pockets and governments get serious and start putting money towards deradicalizing groups and internet communities that attract young, hate-filled white men. Unfortunately 8chan is just the tip of the iceberg here.

Dec 3, 2017
Still no word from my neighbor's family. At this point i'm preparing for the worse. I'm hoping they'll get back to her once things settle down, but I got her a flight there anyway.

Be careful with that flight booking chch airport has currently suspended flights, double check they lift the suspension if she has to come.

Oct 27, 2017

Where is she flying from? Most arrivals at the moment are cancelled or delayed. Praying for her family now.

Oct 25, 2017

This is an elected Australian Senator....
How on earth can this man not be arrested for terrorist sympathising and spreading hate? The victims blood from the mosques in NZ has yet to dry and he thinks Muslims are to blame for simply existing. How is it acceptable that a senator can openly call for Muslim extermination and it be treated as everyday discourse without consequence . There is a form of hate against Muslims that seems to be common place and protected by politicians and the right, we've seen the Quebec mosque massacre, the London mosque terror attack, now this in NZ, violence against Muslims is the eventual outcome of this sentiment when its not checked and becomes mainstream like it has in much of the west. This can't go on.

Jun 20, 2018
It makes me sick some people on other places celebrate this guy, on the other hand I don't think this should be a discussion about Pewediepie. The shooter is a sick dude and is responsible for his own actions.

The BLJ

Banned
Feb 2, 2019
France
Hm... There are people who want to distance themselves from the shooter, not because he killed 49 people but because he says in his manifesto that he is not an antisemite, so clearly his heart wasn't in the right place.

I've had enough Internet. I'm out.