• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
The writing should have been on the wall when 4chan's initial targets were (shockingly, except not) disproportionately women/girls, minorities and the mentally ill.
Agreed.

The worst part is I doubt somebody would do anything about it anyway. Shutting down hate and YouTube deplatforming the assholes inspiring this should be a start but then again I doubt they will do it because it makes them money.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
What is the max sentence somebody like him can get for murdering 49 people? I think the sentence does not fit the crime in some countries. For example the Jewish museum attacker and
Theo Van Gogh killer got life in prison but Breivik got 21 years while still being an inspiration for guys like the murderer in New Zealand. I know different countries but what ever country you are in. Multiple planned murderes should get you life.

Breivik got 21 years that are infinitely renewable. He's not getting out.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
What is the max sentence somebody like him can get for murdering 49 people? I think the sentence does not fit the crime in some countries. For example the Jewish museum attacker and
Theo Van Gogh killer got life in prison but Breivik got 21 years while still being an inspiration for guys like the murderer in New Zealand. I know different countries but what ever country you are in. Multiple planned murderes should get you life.

IIRC the Brevik sentence is likely for life, it's just that's the maximum Norway can hand out - once he hits 21 years I think he goes under review to check if he can be released, which considering the crime and his attitude since, will not be likely.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Man, I'm just baffled by people on Facebook saying: "it was bound to happen" and "40 of them for 1000s of us?????"

It makes me sick to my stomach and it's my birthday today.

The culture war is a potent political weapon.
Almost as amazing at the amount of people on gaming side staunching defending PDP and Pachter, absolutely unreal . I dont know why I expected better.
We Don't Go To Gamingside

Deleted member 50949

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Dec 16, 2018
This is what happens when mainstream and right wing media normalize Islamophobia. People have complained for years yet are always brushed off (stop being such snowflakes, SJWs, etc.) until disaster happens, and yet it still happens multiple times. A lot of shitty people will low key agree with that senator letter, by the way, so I won't expect any major changes.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
to be honest, I expected something like this happening sooner the way the world is now

hopefully this is not the start of a continually happening of terrorist attacks by different kinds of extremists
As in "Let's stream our terrorist attack on 8chan"? Sadly, I can totally imagine people thinking like this these days.

This is exactly why you should shut this shit down as soon as possible and not wait and rub hands and defend literally everything with "but but free speech". This shit now has a platform, multiple platforms, and idiots as Pewdiepie are as complecent as companies like Youtube or anyone enabling 8chan, hate speech and similar instances and ideas. I'm sure we're way past the tipping point by now though, and it's just sad to still see people and companies going "well but what can we do about it, there's still good people here who shouldn't suffer from a few bad apples (they totally associate with, but we won't say that)".

Abudiix

Sep 8, 2018
Malmö, Sweden
This made me real sad today. My family goes always to Friday prayers here in Sweden so that made me think what if that was one of my family members being shot. That's really fucked up to think about. These fucking monsters are out there planing this shit and then they are called White sick person and not terrorists

fieldafar

Jan 23, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I am Australian and I feel so goddamn angry, sad and helpless. That the perpetrator was from my country, that an elected political of ours could say such disgusting words and that so many in the media and tech industries enable and even amplify these hateful words. I apologise on behalf of my country, but I know this is not enough. I am so very sorry that this ever happened.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
Now we can see what happens when terrorists actually use social media. This is so fucked up. I will avoid twitter for the next few days.

Oct 25, 2017
What depressing news to wake up to. Inna lillahi wa inna illayhi raji'oon.

So much more needs to be done to combat far right radicalisation.

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So I don't get it, the motive isn't far-right propaganda? Is this just a bunch of lunatics which did it for fun and that is all?

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Just dipped back in to /pol/ to se if the reactions were as terribad as people said. And it's nuts how fully they've all embraced essentially promoting genocide. "Anything to keep the Muslims out of "our" countries in the west, if more attacks like this happen, it will scare Muslims away from immigrating to the west", ect. It's subhuman and beyond scumlord behavior.
xpectd.gif

Absent

Oct 26, 2017
Source.
The man who livestreamed himself attacking a Christchurch mosque and murdering at least 40 people identified himself online before the rampage as Australian citizen Brenton Tarrant.

On a now-deleted Twitter account, Tarrant posted multiple photos of what appear to be machine gun magazines and a link to what is being described as a manifesto for his actions.

The 74-page document starts off quoting a Dylan Thomas poem, Do not go gentle into that good night, and then moves onto a rant about white genocide.

Tarrant outlines his motivations: including to "create an atmosphere of fear" and to "incite violence" against Muslims while offering up autobiographical details.

Tarrant, an Australian citizen who is believed to come from the northern New South Wales town of Grafton, entitles his document 'The Great Replacement'
Straight garbage.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
This is so infuriating and sad. I had to take a break from working after hearing about it this afternoon, I could barely handle the emotions.

I hope the families of the victim get as much help as possible and that the pieces of shit that did that are swiftly locked up and fade into obscurity.

Earlier this evening there was also a bomb scare at Britomart train station up here in Auckland, but thank fuck it was just a mistake. Some people had just left some bags which after being detonated by the police were found to be full of carpentry equipment unattended.

Oct 25, 2017

Yep. And there are people who're for the hate speech acting shocked, when they bolstered this in the first place.
I'm seeing a lot of two-faced people saying their apologies and heartfelt prayers.
Fucking spare me, they talked a lot of bullshit for years and have the gall to be surprised that this is the result?
They also caused this, and will continue to do so. Because they go unchecked.

Deleted member 50949

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Dec 16, 2018
Just dipped back in to /pol/ to se if the reactions were as terribad as people said. And it's nuts how fully they've all embraced essentially promoting genocide. "Anything to keep the Muslims out of "our" countries in the west, if more attacks like this happen, it will scare Muslims away from immigrating to the west", ect. It's subhuman and beyond scumlord behavior.
xpectd.gif
Yet somehow there are a lot of groups of people calling Resetera "more extreme then /pol/" and how /pol/ is playing "pretend and act edgy ironically".

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Also the nz police have had Red Cross/crescent open up family links she could try checking their website to see if her family has registered as ok https://familylinks.icrc.org/en/Pages/home.aspx

Thank you for this. Their Malaysian line is getting hammered right now but we'll keep trying.

EDIT: We've been told to get in contact with the High Commission of Malaysia in Wellington. They're working closely with local officers and so far have identified a few injured Malaysians. Hoping for some good news.

Any Malaysians with relatives in that area should contact them here: https://www.facebook.com/malaysianHCNZ/

Last edited:

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Gaming side moderation is soft as fuck.

Yes it is.

Then what is it that tweet saying the manifesto is full of ironic shit and implying it's all just a big troll? Whatever anyway, it is probably both.

Edit: I re-read it and misinterpreted it. I got it now, it's a bait in the sense that it's trying to lure people into their agenda with key words. From the way I read it I thought it was a red herring of sorts.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
And look at what this fucking idiot links to right as this is happening. What the fuck

What? No!

In times like this, we look to the leaders of the free world for words of comfort and guidance, and this idiot posts a link to the exact website that helped stoke the flames that have led to these racial-motivated attacks. The comments in the article about this tragedy are horrific.

The fucking POTUS is a monster. To me, this is as bad as that Australian senator's comments.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The irony of cautioning people on interpreting the manifesto is breathtaking...
Every single time. This happens every time. Nobody seems to learn from this shit which is why it keeps happening and why it keeps getting worse. People mention in it aren't immune because "lul memes" or whatever. The point is that everything in it is put there for a purpose. Not that it dismisses what is in there of culpability.

People wanna watch the video and shit like no, stop it. Value your humanity don't just watch a snuff film because you're disassociated.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. And there are people who're for the hate speech acting shocked, when they bolstered this in the first place.
I'm seeing a lot of two-faced people saying their apologies and heartfelt prayers.
Fucking spare me, they talked a lot of bullshit for years and have the gall to be surprised that this is the result?
Yep. And people that point all this out will be shouted down with things like "Only the shooters are responsible" " Stop trying to use a tragedy to push your agenda", and so on. Then they'll have the gall to act surprised when another mosque is inevitably the site of another terrorist attack.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Inna lillahi wa inna illayhi raji'oon
This is sad sad. What would the killing of innocent souls achieve. This is sad.

لاحول ولاقوة الا بالله.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Then what is it that tweet saying the manifesto is full of ironic shit and implying it's all just a big troll? Whatever anyway, it is probably both.

Edit: I re-read it and misinterpreted it. I got it now, it's a bait in the sense that it's trying to lure people into their agenda with key words. From the way I read it I thought it was a red herring of sorts.
I read a chunk of it (wish I hadn't, but damn it) and while it does have some meme-y stuff in there, it is far and away a white nationalist, fearmongering document.

Nov 7, 2017
What? No!

In times like this, we look to the leaders of the free world for words of comfort and guidance, and this idiot posts a link to the exact website that helped stoke the flames that have led to these racial-motivated attacks. The comments in the article about this tragedy are horrific.

The fucking POTUS is a monster. To me, this is as bad as that Australian senator's comments.
It's telling he makes no comment about it at all.

He's a piece of shit, devoid of empathy or emotion so I doubt anyone is surprised. Him merely linking a story is a typically passive aggressive move I'd expect from an emotionally stunted narcissist.