• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.

Major terrorist (white supremacist) attack in Christchurch (NZ) [UP6: 4 suspects in custody, 50 confirmed dead] (READ THREADMARKS)

Oct 27, 2017
Easy. I get tensions are running high and it’s an incredibly emotional time
I’m not denying the influence of anything. To me it seems like he’s just throwing out random names when he’s talking about his influences in the same breath as Spyro the Dragon inspired etho-nationalism. It can be confusing to someone who isn’t on the exact pulse of all of these e-celebs - I had no idea who Candace Owens even was until last night.

Jesus, people.
Then can you please look them up before you write something like that? It comes off as dismissive.
I know who Candace Owens is and I haven't looked her up in ages. Pewdiepie's antics aren't exactly hidden.
It's not difficult to know their positions when they lay it out in the open.
I would suspect he is familiar with them. One common human behavior is to overlook flaws or the wrongdoing of people, organizations, or systems even if you have the slightest vested interest.

I suspect he is a pewdiepie subscriber. Even this little bit of vested interest can invoke the behavior we see from the poster in some cases.

I advise people to unsubscribe from pewdiepie if they haven’t already.

Pomerlaw

Banned
Feb 25, 2018
This was horrible news to wake up to. It's awful how much destruction and sadness even one person can cause.
One of the sad realization in this life, is that it is so much easier and quick to destroy than to build. Somehow we will be resilient and rebuild time and time again.

We really need to deplatform these fucks

schwifty

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rather than revel in your ignorance, maybe you should stay quiet. "I don't know who she is, therefore she can't possibly have inspired the shooter" isn't an argument.
I might be parsing this incorrectly, but I think he’s saying that PewDiePie and Candance Owens are awful (at least I hope he is), and that the shooter’s manifesto seems to be riddled with red herrings

Oct 31, 2017

This is the first and biggest problem to address. Radicalized terrorist can and will happen among people of any ethnic group. Europe has a long history of red and black terrorism and it was organized and supplied white people killing other white people, no "lone wolves".

We need to look at this kind of phenomenon just like we do at any other form of terrorism, which means we need to find the channels were these people get radicalized, whatever economical support they may or may not get, and anyone who's possibly tied with them. We need to work on prevention and we need to do so looking in the same places we have no problem investigating when we go after other forms of terrorism. Failing to recognize that there is an ideological movement behind acts like this means we'll never defeat it.

Oct 25, 2017
It’s fine. I get why he’s angry. It’s a very emotional time for a ton of people right now. There will be time for introspection and analysis of this event later, I get that everyone’s probably very heavily in emotional mind right now.
I really don't think you do. In a thread about a mass shooting in which 49 people were killed, you compared the shit people are rightfully giving racists like Candace Owens and Pewdiepie to an execution.

This issue is not that Kitsunelaine is being overly emotional, it's that you're playing armchair philosopher despite being embarrassingly underequipped for the task. Your key takeaway from this incident is stupid bullshit that ignores the real issue, and the insults were well deserved.

Oct 27, 2017
This is the first and biggest problem to address. Radicalized terrorist can and will happen among people of any ethnic group. Europe has a long history of red and black terrorism and it was organized and supplied white people killing other white people, no "lone wolves".

We need to look at this kind of phenomenon just like we do at any other form of terrorism, which means we need to find the channels were these people get radicalized, whatever economical support they may or may not get, and anyone who's possibly tied with them. We need to work on prevention and we need to do so looking in the same places we have no problem investigating when we go after other forms of terrorism. Failing to recognize that there is an ideological movement behind acts like this means we'll never defeat it.
The problem is that this isn’t a new thing. These services happily look the other way when it involves white nationalism. The only thing people can do is boycott them. Delete your Facebook and Twitter.

Oct 27, 2017
It’s fine. I get why he’s angry. It’s a very emotional time for a ton of people right now. There will be time for introspection and analysis of this event later, I get that everyone’s probably very heavily in emotional mind right now.
Unsubscribe to pewdiepie.

Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Deplatform, Debunk, and Deride these fucks. Don’t give them the satisfaction of acknowledging their malformed trash tier ideology as worth an autopsy. Don’t elevate their bullshit hatemongering by protecting it as “free speech”.

Oct 25, 2017
It feels... Telling, that the first I hear of this is a message left by a friend wondering if it would ever actually be worth it (implicitly, safe) to move out of Malaysia, as he's long hoped. This shitstain terrorist has gotten what he wanted - people scared for their lives, regardless of where they are.

Fuck him and all others that believe the same.

Oct 25, 2017
I dont understand, there are reports that the shooter visited Pakistan in October of last year and loved it and called the people there "The most earnest, kindhearted and hospitable people in the world", fuck me what happenned in 4 months , Im confused as all hell because I think the explanations that people were throwing early on the thread may not completely fit.

Oct 31, 2017
The problem is that this isn’t a new thing. These services happily look the other way when it involves white nationalism. The only thing people can do is boycott them. Delete your Facebook and Twitter.
I think it's not up to the public, in the same way it's not up to the public to fight other domestic threats. These are not angry forum posters, these are criminal groups. It's not about developing strategies to defeat incels or regressive nerds in online debates, it's about jailing people before they hurt others.

The authorities absolutely need to make this a priority.

I might be parsing this incorrectly, but I think he’s saying that PewDiePie and Candance Owens are awful (at least I hope he is), and that the shooter’s manifesto seems to be riddled with red herrings
Is it red herrings tho; sarcasm about spyro doesn’t mean the game is a secret mein kamf (sp, and i dont care to fix it, lol).

But the jokey, wink wink about it all shows clear lines to what we all know. While the mainstream media is clutching their pearls having somehow not realized it today, the phrasing and points read not like crazy rants when you minus the racism, but writing styles you see on this very forum. Quick off the hip sarcasm, pop culture references...etc. It shows how the online lulz vs offline reality are one in the same

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's not up to the public, in the same way it's not up to the public to fight other domestic threats. These are not angry forum posters, these are criminal groups. It's not about developing strategies to defeat incels or regressive nerds in online debates, it's about jailing people before they hurt others.

The authorities absolutely need to make this a priority.
I agree about the authorities, but at the same time there’s no denying that social media companies have opened up avenues to radicalization. It’s easy to see how people, especially young people, get sucked into this rabbit hole. For example, YouTube recommended is often flooded with a shitload of alt right propaganda. Nothing is done about this, despite the repeated warnings. If authorities had any sense they would force them to take action.

Oct 27, 2017
I dont understand, there are reports that the shooter visited Pakistan in October of last year and loved it and called the people there "The most earnest, kindhearted and hospitable people in the world", fuck me what happenned in 4 months , Im confused as all hell because I think the explanations that people were throwing early on the thread may not completely fit.
I don't know if we're allowed to even discuss the manifesto in any way, but it's not confusing at all having read it (which is by the way 95% garbage, shitposting, and quoted poetry and 5% typical white genocide alt-right psycho garbage talking points.)

Dec 3, 2018
Radicalized online

Jan 10, 2019
Truly horrifying. Heart goes out to those affected, and those in here that would be going to pray today.

Please spare me the ‘poor Pewdiepie’ shit that’s going to erupt to support him over the internet. People with influence need to start taking responsibility.

Oct 25, 2017
When you see all these “thoughts and prayers” get rolled out take notice of the ones who don’t acknowledge the Muslim communities attacked. They’ll do their damndest to never mention them and go right back to using Muslims as boogeymen in a few days time.

Dec 3, 2018
Hoping no one takes the manifesto seriously. It seems like a sickening attempt to troll the left than anything else.
Oh we DO need to take it seriously. Especially this view that he was inspired by Candice Owens and thinks Donald Trump gave a helpful rise to white identity nationalism. If you put the manifesto as crackpot you are especially dismissing those. You need to take it seriously AND condemn at the same time. This view in the manifesto is shared by almost all white nationalists