Major terrorist (white supremacist) attack in Christchurch (NZ) [UP6: 4 suspects in custody, 50 confirmed dead] (READ THREADMARKS)

Oct 26, 2017
And they choose this time and this pray of the week in particular because they know friday “Jumma” pray is the most gathering.
It's also worth noting that the New Zealand vs Bangladesh cricket test match was scheduled to take place the next day just across the street. Bangladesh doesn't have a large fanbase in NZ but still, the team, support staff, reporters and fans were all in town, so that's a bit more traffic than usual. The team and support staff were at the mosque but are safe btw (and the test match is obviously cancelled).

This is devastating. I never expected anything like this to happen here of all places, we've always been our safe little corner of the planet, far away from all the crazy shit that happens on the other side of the planet or even across the ditch. Fuck anyone who had anything to do with this. The sacks of shit should rot in a small dark cell for the rest of their miserable lives.

Kitsunelaine

My favorite cake is pie
Oct 25, 2017
Dude, calm down. That's not even close to what I wanted to say.
Okay. I'm just... I've seen too many people going "lol what is this meme filled garbage, why is anyone taking any of this seriously". I'm exhausted, is all. It's 2am and I haven't been able to sleep. This all happened about a ten minute drive away from where I live. My tolerance level is at an all time low right now.

Oct 25, 2017
This is a fucking disgrace. 49 people dead, 8chan still up promoting bullshit and no one taking action to put a stop to it.

Religious studies should be fucking mandatory at this point for elementary curriculum and higher. The only way we can even begin to erode the hatred is to educate children on the different beliefs in the world so they can be better than us.

“No one is asking you to like _______, or convert. We’re just asking that you understand and respect.”

This is the first thing said at all classes at my university for Religious studies.
Unfortunately, so long as the right-wing has power literally anywhere in the world. They will do all they can to sell and peddle hate. It's what allows them to maintain power. It's all they know how to do and all they understand. They don't want understanding, empathy or kindness to exist in this world.

Jan 20, 2018
This is a fucking disgrace. 49 people dead, 8chan still up promoting bullshit and no one taking action to put a stop to it.

Religious studies should be fucking mandatory at this point for elementary curriculum and higher. The only way we can even begin to erode the hatred is to educate children on the different beliefs in the world so they can be better than us.

“No one is asking you to like _______, or convert. We’re just asking that you understand and respect.”

This is the first thing said at all classes at my university for Religious studies.
Cant we put some heat on the hosting company to shut the place down?

Nov 2, 2017
These horrible spikes always happened, were even worse than they are today, and took place more often but we just never heard about it

On a global historical scale I mean - if you're talking about the patterns specifically in the USA then you're right that spiking mass killings are more prevalent then they were historically (crime in total is still down though)
Technology now allows for a single person to do more damage than ever.

Oct 30, 2017
Okay. I'm just... I've seen too many people going "lol what is this meme filled garbage, why is anyone taking any of this seriously". I'm exhausted, is all. It's 2am and I haven't been able to sleep. This all happened about a ten minute drive away from where I live. My tolernace level is at an all time low right now.
With respect, I think after reading parts of the manifesto, some of us are starting to worry that "taking it seriously" is exactly what the terrorist wants. Something that would give him a laugh, because he wove it to be so ridiculous and baity.

We're all figuring this out together, though. Details are still coming to light. People are still mourning. Let's at least show each other some grace here while we can; even while it's hard to.

Kitsunelaine

My favorite cake is pie
Oct 25, 2017
With respect, I think after reading parts of the manifesto, some of us are starting to worry that "taking it seriously" is exactly what the terrorist wants. Something that would give him a laugh, because he wove it to be so ridiculous and baity.

We're all figuring this out together, though. Details are still coming to light. People are still mourning. Let's at least show each other some grace here while we can; even while it's hard to.
You don't need to take the manifesto seriously. You need to take the threat it represents seriously. If you say "You shouldn't take the manifesto seriously", in a vaccum, you're dismissing the threat it represents.

I don't see that happening. I mean look at MGTOW on reddit (promotes anti women views). The Toronto van attacker was also inspired by people in those reddit, 4chan dwellings and those sites are still up
I think its a bit different today with the shooter explicitly shouting out those cesspools, and I have a sneaking suspicion that NZ will be much more pro-active then Canada was (which will hopefully lead to a domino de-platforming effect).

Nov 8, 2018
That manifesto was dumb. It contradicts itself and is full of fantasy racist fairy tales. He's just an uneducated murdering racist failure.
An uneducated murdering racist failure with an ideology.

An ideology that needs to be rooted out and exterminated. It's full of memes and stupid bullshit but nearly 50 lives are now gone to prove how seriously we need to take this ideological threat. Government action to suppress and eradicate the safe havens of this hate and the people themselves who spread it is what is needed to stop this. Their speech propagated mass murder and will do so again unless state forces move to stop it.

Dec 19, 2017

I think history lessons should be the priority. If people had a better grasp of history they'd realise how stupid and ignorant racist beliefs are. Instead of thinking "they're taking our jobs!" or "go back to where you came from!" they'll have context for the world they live in.

Oct 28, 2017
Why is it always the innocent that get hurt. Its always these fucking pricks that walk away while the scared and peaceful have to die or live with the trama and the greatest fucking crime is that they exist. Fuckin christ man, humanity is so cruel for the lols or whatever the fuck

Oct 25, 2017

A lot of these fucks are highly radicalized and hide behind "memes" on places outside of 8chan to start to normalize and radicalize others who aren't indoctrinated to their side yet. As far as I'm concerned, any piece of shit there would just as easily love to do something like this. It should be taken seriously is my point because this whole shitshow is a result of right-wing media, right-wing politicians and right-wing movements working to do precisely what is going on. The end-game is to numb us, make more people like them and encourage more terrorist acts such as this.

Oct 25, 2017
Why is it always the innocent that get hurt. Its always these fucking pricks that walk away while the scared and peaceful have to die or live with the trama and the greatest fucking crime is that they exist. Fuckin christ man, humanity is so cruel for the lols or whatever the fuck
Oh, it's not "for the lols". That's just the shield they use constantly. Even with more "minor" shitty things as a way to normalize their behavior. It's purely for hate. Full-stop. These people are inhumane monsters, flat out.

Oct 30, 2017
You don't need to take the manifesto seriously. You need to take the threat it represents seriously. If you say "You shouldn't take the manifesto seriously", in a vaccum, you're dismissing the threat it represents.
I'm sorry, no. That's a slippery slope. You're saying "if you don't take the manifesto seriously, you don't think white nationalism is a threat," which is not true at all. That's projecting some really nasty ignorance, or worse, evil, upon this community who's mourning *with* you right now.

And I'm not saying we should disregard the manifesto. I'm simply pointing out why some members might be sensitive or averse to its being shared and discussed. The idea that he's sitting in a cell having a chuckle because now he gets to see the things he wrote play across a dozen different breaking news banners and countless internet headlines... Well, it hurts.

Someone described the manifesto as a second attack, and I think that's accurate. By arguing over it and bringing light to it, it feels like the media is pouring salt in the wounds of victims and bringing the terrorist more celebrity. I think the manifesto was designed to do exactly that, more than it was designed to "reveal" his ideologies and views.

Oct 27, 2017
I just wanted to say, NZ is such a small country and so tight knit, this will affect so

Authorities should take the manifesto seriously. Not the idiotic messages, but the source of those messages/memes, where those messages/memes are born and grow. And then shut those places down.

Hell no. I had R.E (Religious Education) in my secondary school as a mandatory subject and it was the most pointless shit ever. No one took it seriously and everyone just fucked around during class because it was the most pointless and laughable subject.

Aug 22, 2018
Jesus Christ. I'm filled with so many emotions right now. I feel heartbreak for the community of innocent people that this happened to. I feel rage at the far-right ideology that promotes this kind of horrifying violence. And I feel sickened by the promoters of said far-right ideology attempting to display their faux sympathy for these victims.

You do not get to spend months or years demonizing a group of people and then pretend to act surprised and sympathetic when a group of extremist filth take your rhetoric to heart and act on it.

Oct 25, 2017
So what can we do (if anything) to make sure users of 8chan and the like are investigated? Who can we report them to?
These fuckers already likely have CP on most of their computers and most were actively involved in/started/helped to spread hate movements like GG. They get away with it still. This is, admittedly more heinous of an act than anything these shitstains have ever done. I just have to wonder how much any law enforcement would even care about this, shamefully. They didn't give a fuck about 8chan before.

Oct 25, 2017
This is fucked. This is bullshit. I am mad and scared at the same time. When will those in power actually do SOMETHING about this piece of shit site 8-chan, and hell, even the main stream social media sites. Regulate or shut it down! I am more afraid of white men (as a white guy) but those in power would rather bomb anyone brown then actually look at the real threat to the Western World, the alt-right and the radicalization of disfranchised white men. Like Facebook, now that my mom finally got a smartphone her only exposure of the internet is Facebook and all her mentions and timeline is shitty alt-right trash.

Such pointless suffering and death. For nothing. I don't know what I can do really but... my heart goes to the Muslim community world wide and all of New Zealand.

Kitsunelaine

My favorite cake is pie
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry, no. That's a slippery slope. You're saying "if you don't take the manifesto seriously, you don't think white nationalism is a threat," which is not true at all. That's projecting some really nasty ignorance, or worse, evil, upon this community who's mourning *with* you right now.

And I'm not saying we should disregard the manifesto. I'm simply pointing out why some members might be sensitive or averse to its being shared and discussed. The idea that he's sitting in a cell having a chuckle because now he gets to see the things he wrote play across a dozen different breaking news banners and countless internet headlines... Well, it hurts.

Someone described the manifesto as a second attack, and I think that's accurate. By arguing over it and bringing light to it, it feels like the media is pouring salt in the wounds of victims and bringing the terrorist more celebrity. I think the manifesto was designed to do exactly that, more than it was designed to "reveal" his ideologies and views.
I just want people to be more considerate about how they tackle this issue. I don't want to enable what the shooter wants. That's the last thing I want. But I think it's more dangerous for everyone if we ignore what he represents. Proof of what he represents is in the manifesto. I don't want that proof to become easier to dismiss. He wrote out in big bright shining letters, "I AM A NEONAZI". I think that's the part that needs to be focused on rather than the actual contents, but since that's part of the manifesto itself, I see "You shouldn't take the manifesto seriously" as a dismissal of that.

It's weird and fucking complicated and it makes me want to scream.

Oct 25, 2017
Charlotte NC
Hell no. I had R.E (Religious Education) in my secondary school as a mandatory subject and it was the most pointless shit ever. No one took it seriously and everyone just fucked around during class because it was the most pointless and laughable subject.
That’s why doing it in primary school is so critical. It doesn’t even have to be overt. My elementary school had a world food day where they invited parents and other kid oriented organizations to introduce us to different cultures through food.

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
If they can go after the hydra of the TPB, they can shut down the cockroach 4chan den and its spawns. The roaches won't be eliminated, but their motel will be gone and their meetings will be less organized.
TPB caused enough rich people to worry about losing enough money to be classified as a Problem worthy of Attention.

4chan / 8chan largely don't worry that many rich people about losing much money at all, so they wont get nearly the same sort of response.

Oct 25, 2017
IIRC, the hosting company is owned by the owner of 2chan - and 8chan is run by a 2chan engineer. I doubt they give a shit.
They're idiots who scream "freeze peach" as a way to justify CP, misogyny, racism, etc. etc. and hate movements inspired by what they deem should be free and allowed. So....yea. They likely give no fucks and possibly even support/want stuff like this to happen.

Oct 5, 2018
Maybe we as a society need to not allow hateful trolling in our online spaces. Stop dismissing it as "jost joxe" and make it unacceptable. I know it's not currently possible to eradicate completely. But I mean, when we see it, report it.

Oct 30, 2017
I just want people to be more considerate about how they tackle this issue. I don't want to enable what the shooter wants. That's the last thing I want. But I think it's more dangerous for everyone if we ignore what he represents. Proof of what he represents is in the manifesto. I don't want that proof to become easier to dismiss. He wrote out in big bright shining letters, "I AM A NEONAZI". I think that's the part that needs to be focused on rather than the actual contents, but since that's part of the manifesto itself, I see "You shouldn't take the manifesto seriously" as a dismissal of that.

It's weird and fucking complicated and it makes me want to scream.
Yeah I hear you completely. You're right. He made sure his mess would be as difficult to clean up as possible. I hope we can figure out the most productive way to talk about this together, and hopefully we can start taking steps to prevent something like this from ever happening again.

Justice and peace won't be inspired by the media. We'll have to come together and figure this out on our own. It will be so hard.

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
If people could put the same amount of effort they spend hating into loving and caring for one other, the idea of a heaven would be trivial as we would already be there.
I can't speak for everyone else but as a muslim I'm more than fine if white folks just left me the fuck alone. Love? Compassion? Nah I'm good, just leave me be. Sadly even that seems too much to ask for :/

i get you though, if more people treated each other as human beings we wouldn't be in this mess. Instead we have this stupid "us" vs "them".