• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.

Major terrorist (white supremacist) attack in Christchurch (NZ) [UP6: 4 suspects in custody, 50 confirmed dead] (READ THREADMARKS)

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I remember waking up today and seeing a Facebook post talking about a shooting. I thought to myself, great another shooting in the US but low and behold I find out that this happened in NZ of all places. Regardless of that it didn't stop me from thinking the next thing "how many people died?" When I saw the body count, my heart sunk and I've been pretty upset all day.

49 people lost their lives with the potential for more lives to be lost due to some monster thinking this is what needed to be done to keep the white race going. I honestly don't get it and the fact that this is expected by other people who think this way is absolutely terrifying. What does this accomplish in their mind? Why go so far as to kill innocent people who are harmless/defenseless? This terrorist attack has me in pure disbelief and I don't even know what to think right now.

I'm devastated that people think this way and think that the solution towards their "righteous cause" is to off innocent people. Why why why?

Dec 10, 2017
I don't get how people can casually talk about the video. I haven't seen it but I've read descriptions and I couldn't help but break down in tears all day.

I learned that there are only 46000 Muslims in New Zealand or about 1% of the population. This monster killed more than 1/1000 of the country's muslim population. No words.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get how people can casually talk about the video. I haven't seen it but I've read descriptions and I couldn't help but break down in tears all day.
Yeah it autoplayed in my Twitter yesterday and I don't understand how you could possibly analyze it or watch or more than once, and this was just a very short clip. People were talking about some 15 minute shit in here and I don't understand how you could even do that to yourself. Leave that to the people who have to do it. All I can say is at the very least I hope that fucker is put in solitary for the rest of his life with no possible way to off himself.

Oct 26, 2017
It's a little suspect when I see people who say they watched it and act surprised it shows people getting shot.

What did you think? Some folks probably accidentally saw it I know but some of the innocence seems a bit feined when you straight up looked for it.

It would be unfair to blame the internet for this. Motives are complex, lives are complicated, and we don’t yet know all the details about the shooting. Anti-Muslim violence is not an online phenomenon, and white nationalist hatred long predates 4Chan and Reddit.

But we do know that the design of internet platforms can create and reinforce extremist beliefs. Their recommendation algorithms often steer users toward edgier content, a loop that results in more time spent on the app, and more advertising revenue for the company. Their hate speech policies are weakly enforced. And their practices for removing graphic videos — like the ones that circulated on social media for hours after the Christchurch shooting, despite the companies’ attempts to remove them — are inconsistent at best.

We also know that many recent acts of offline violence bear the internet’s imprint. Robert Bowers, the man charged with killing 11 people and wounding six others at the Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh, was a frequent user of Gab, a social media platform beloved by extremists. Cesar Sayoc, the man charged with sending explosives to prominent critics of President Trump last year, was immersed in a cesspool of right-wing Facebook and Twitter memes.

People used to conceive of “online extremism” as distinct from the extremism that took form in the physical world. If anything, the racism and bigotry on internet message boards felt a little less dangerous than the prospect of Ku Klux Klan marches or skinhead rallies.

Now, online extremism is just regular extremism on steroids. There is no offline equivalent of the experience of being algorithmically nudged toward a more strident version of your existing beliefs, or having an invisible hand steer you from gaming videos to neo-Nazism. The internet is now the place where the seeds of extremism are planted and watered, where platform incentives guide creators toward the ideological poles, and where people with hateful and violent beliefs can find and feed off one another.

So the pattern continues. People become fluent in the culture of online extremism, they make and consume edgy memes, they cluster and harden. And once in a while, one of them erupts.

In the coming days, we should attempt to find meaning in the lives of the victims of the Christchurch attack, and not glorify the attention-grabbing tactics of the gunman. We should also address the specific horror of anti-Muslim violence.

At the same time, we need to understand and address the poisonous pipeline of extremism that has emerged over the past several years, whose ultimate effects are impossible to quantify but clearly far too big to ignore. It’s not going away, and it’s not particularly getting better. We will feel it for years to come.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/15/technology/facebook-youtube-christchurch-shooting.html

Hopefully this thread is an appropriate place to ask about this, but I can fuck off if not; this has made me think about my kid brother a little bit though and I now feel like I should take the responsibility of talking to him about white supremacy and how it appears to be organizing and consuming young men through the internet. Now I don't have any super obvious reasons to be alarmed about my brother yet; he just turned 15 today and I've never heard him say an outwardly racist thing in his life. But that said, he reminds me a lot of myself, and to be quite honest, I was kind of an ignorant fuckhead at his age. I was reserved, spent almost all my time online, spent a lot of time of 4chan and other message boards, and I spewed a lot of really awful shit in the "privacy" of my internet life. My brother, at least in terms of being pretty quiet and internet-addicted, is similar. Luckily I turned my shit around when I had a series of really eye-opening, perspective changing conversations and experiences early in college, but that shit was chance. I could have easily said "Eh this is stupid" and never went to this talk where I listened to an immigrant woman break down in tears over the great inequalities she had experienced in her life, for example. I don't want to leave my brother's perspective of the world around him up to chance.

That said, last month out of the blue he asked me at dinner "Bro, you subscribed to PewDiePie?? You gotta subscribe bro".

I guess my actual question is: does anyone have any good resources for having discussions about white supremacist culture with a teenager/young adult? I'm not exactly the most well spoken or persuasive person to be quite honest. And I know that I can't just say to him "Dude, PewDiePie and his fan base enabled a culture that fed into that shooting. At very best he's a white supremacist sympathizer from the fact alone that he can't condemn on clear terms that white supremacy is bad and has no place in a modern society" despite that basically being how I feel, because I know he'll just shut down and refuse to engage in the conversation with me. I just want it to be productive, and would love some tools to help me do that.

Anyway this whole thing has made me sick. I'm sending all my best wishes to the survivors, the families of those involved, and any out there who tonight are terrified to freely worship. I feel hopeless, but this is perhaps one of the few things I do have control over.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
sigh, I start talking about this today and my brother remarks “it’s nobodies fault, it was just some crazy memelord, nobody on YouTube or twitter forced him to do it.”

Unfortunately I’m betting that his is not a unique opinion.

Oct 27, 2017
It's a little suspect when I see people who say they watched it and act surprised it shows people getting shot.

What did you think? Some folks probably accidentally saw it I know but some of the innocence seems a bit feined when you straight up looked for it.
It was plastered all over Twitter yesterday under top 10 trending tags. But yeah I've seen people in here saying it was sent to them and it's like who the fuck would send you that and shouldn't you question why they are downloading that and sharing it?

Oct 25, 2017
sigh, I start talking about this today and my brother remarks “it’s nobodies fault, it was just some crazy memelord, nobody on YouTube or twitter forced him to do it.”

Ask him if he thought that about a killer radicalized online by ISIS' social media presence.

Oct 26, 2017
It was plastered all over Twitter yesterday under top 10 trending tags. But yeah I've seen people in here saying it was sent to them and it's like who the fuck would send you that and shouldn't you question why they are downloading that and sharing it?
Someone said there mom sent it to them and they were shocked how violent it was and I was like "really?"

Although to be fair I could see a mom sending a video without watching it.

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully this thread is an appropriate place to ask about this, but I can fuck off if not; this has made me think about my kid brother a little bit though and I now feel like I should take the responsibility of talking to him about white supremacy and how it appears to be organizing and consuming young men through the internet. Now I don't have any super obvious reasons to be alarmed about my brother yet; he just turned 15 today and I've never heard him say an outwardly racist thing in his life. But that said, he reminds me a lot of myself, and to be quite honest, I was kind of an ignorant fuckhead at his age to be honest. I was reserved, spent almost all my time online, spent a lot of time of 4chan and other message boards, and I spewed a lot of really awful shit in the "privacy" of my internet life. My brother, at least in terms of being pretty quiet and internet-addicted, is similar. Luckily I turned my shit around when I had a series of really eye-opening, perspective changing conversations and experiences early in college, but that shit was chance. I could have easily said "Eh this is stupid" and never went to this talk where I listened to an immigrant woman break down in tears over the great inequalities she had experienced in her life, for example. I don't want to leave my brother's perspective of the world around him up to chance.

That said, last month out of the blue he asked me at dinner "Bro, you subscribed to PewDiePie?? You gotta subscribe bro".

I guess my actual question is: does anyone have any good resources for having discussions about white supremacist culture with a teenager/young adult? I'm not exactly the most well spoken or persuasive person to be quite honest. And I know that I can't just say to him "Dude, PewDiePie and his fan base enabled a culture that fed into that shooting. At very best he's a white supremacist sympathizer from the fact alone that he can't condemn on clear terms that white supremacy is bad and has no place in a modern society" despite that basically being how I feel, because I know he'll just shut down and refuse to engage in the conversation with me. I just want it to be productive, and would love some tools to help me do that.

Anyway this whole thing has made me sick. I'm sending all my best wishes to the survivors, the families of those involved, and any out there who tonight are terrified to freely worship. I feel hopeless, but this is perhaps one of the few things I do have control over.
Yeah have that talk, I'm gonna do it with my younger bro (again) for similar reasons, and probably even a cousin in law who is doing similar questionable things probably in part to his trump supporter father.

People say this gen z is trending liberal but anecdotally I don't really buy it.

Dec 11, 2017
People say this gen z is trending liberal but anecdotally I don't really buy it.
People say a lot of things about Gen Z, mostly that they turn conservative, actually.
I think there isn't a narrative to be said about this generation, life experiences are so vastly different from one individual to another that it's really hard to define a generation with a few key characteristics. Not in this day and age.

Oct 25, 2017
This terrorist attack is just gutwrenching. I can't imagine what the community of christchurch is going through right now. RIP to the victims and I hope the worst for the perpetrators and the 8chan community.

Oct 27, 2017
Everything about this shooting is beyond fucked up, and in New Zealand of all places, just goes to show that this can happen pretty much anywhere these days as long as radicalism is allowed to flourish under the pretense of being free speech.

The big worry here is that we don’t know the extent of the problem with white surpremacists like the person who committed the shooting and the seemingly very similar Anders Breivik, this could easily get a whole lot worse due to the power of the internet.

That Australian news anchor said it best, we cannot pretend that we are shocked that this event happened, the writing has been on the wall for a long time now and terrorism committed by white men motivated by a hate of forgeiners have only increased. This is happening everywhere in the west in different capacities and attacks like this and Utøya could happen where we least expect it.

Dec 10, 2018
This terrorist attack is just gutwrenching. I can't imagine what the community of christchurch is going through right now. RIP to the victims and I hope the worst for the perpetrators and the 8chan community.
I live in Christchurch and this is the last thing our city needed. This is a city still rebuilding from the 2011 earthquakes which brought widespread fear and anxiety. This is just awful beyond words. I'm still having trouble believing it all.

Oct 29, 2017
Everything about this shooting is beyond fucked up, and in New Zealand of all places, just goes to show that this can happen pretty much anywhere these days as long as radicalism is allowed to flourish under the pretense of being free speech.

The big worry here is that we don’t know the extent of the problem with white surpremacists like the person who committed the shooting and the seemingly very similar Anders Breivik, this could easily get a whole lot worse due to the power of the internet.

That Australian news anchor said it best, we cannot pretend that we are shocked that this event happened, the writing has been on the wall for a long time now and terrorism committed by white men motivated by a hate of forgeiners have only increased. This is happening everywhere in the west in different capacities and attacks like this and Utøya could happen where we least expect it.

Here in the UK, Newspaper propaganda to this has been outstanding this all.

Only a matter of time this was gonna happen and it’s only a matter of time until there’s a reaction to this, someone somewhere will try and seek ‘revenge’ this is how it works theses days.

Oct 27, 2017
Just left the vigil at Aotea Square where the attorney general announced that semi-automatic weapons will be banned in NZ. That’s a good start. I appreciated the calls to be vigilant and for the public to call out any forms of racism. Golriz Ghahraman and Phil Goff's speeches received a lot of support.

Yesterday was an important reality check for our country. Despite our geographical location, we're not isolated or immune to hateful ideologies. I hope it will be last time a terrorist attack happens, but we can't take anything for granted.

Oct 25, 2017

I learned that there are only 46000 Muslims in New Zealand or about 1% of the population. This monster killed more than 1/1000 of the country's muslim population. No words.
Is that true? Crazy that this piece of shit viewed 1% of the population as "invaders" threatening to his way of life... and it wasn't even his native country.

Oct 31, 2017
New Zealand
I've only read the OP and this last page, too much to go through to see if this had been posted but two of the suspects have been confirmed to not be affiated with attack. One person had a gun on them to try and retrieve their child from school and the other was wearing full camo gear to pick up his brother in law from a high school. The latter was charged with disorderly behavior due to his camo gear.

I'll try and find the links.

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Just left the vigil at Aotea Square where the attorney general announced that semi-automatic weapons will be banned in NZ. That’s a good start. I appreciated the calls to be vigilant and for the public to call out any forms of racism. Golriz Ghahraman and Phil Goff's speeches received a lot of support.
Ha damn I live close from there. I would have gone had I known. Good to hear about semi-automatic guns though.

Unfortunately it’s not the case for my younger brother, he deflects all blame Pewdiepie gets on the news trying to get clicks and feminism; he has watched (unsure if he continues to, I don’t see him subscribed) Ben Shapiro and likes him because he “owns the libs” and is an intellectual. He constantly says the N and homophobic F word around me when he’s home from school (will be tonight, yay) and I presume around his friends’ because in his words, and I’m paraphrasing, “I have black/gay friends in college and they say I can say it, none of my black roommates from Africa care that I say it nor my gay friends, always with you feminists/liberals getting triggered over everything and changing the meaning of words to suit your argument.”
*arguing in the car about disproportionate incarceration of minorities, paraphrasing* “Well the stats say 90% (or some crazy statistic) of Blacks in prison today are criminals! You think they would lie about that!? That the Black people in prison didn’t land their way their due to violent crime?!”
Other thought-provoking shit he says:
“Climate change exists but not because of fossil fuels but due to extreme temperatures fluxuations in the Earth every couple thousand years.”
“I don’t hate gay people, I just don’t believe they should marry, but if they do (say a friend of his) don’t invite me.”
“Transgenders are men in women’s clothing.”
He has a friend that claims gays are a byproduct of sexual abuse and that’s why they are gay.
Supports Donald Trump and he can’t be wrong ever because he’s rich, along with most of his friend group, some even threw a doploraball party and went to the Trump rally three hours away in Duluth, MN as well, in my guess, start shit with the protesters, film it and frame it around “Antifa” violence. I have no proof of this one but considering these were the ones that had a deploraball party, I wouldn’t be surprised.

He’s 20, too far gone, grew up going to a school that was all right-wing Bush/Romney/Trump-supporting individuals, parents’ of classmates voted for Supreme Court and ridding Roe v Wade and tax breaks. Brother watches Pewdiepie and a lot of workout youtubers that I don’t know much about but peddle supplements, watches Logan Paul and had watched Syndicate I believe. He’s a lost cause and I’m done getting into it with him because all he does is gaslight the conversation and has a pompous, arrogant 20 year old attitude where he staunchly believes everything he says is right and will be hard-presses to change his mind.
I’m tired of getting into yelling matches with him over this shit.

Jan 10, 2018

There are hundreds of Nazis in the german and austrian Intelligence community, military and police, cooperating, threatening journalists, artists and lawyers and preparing for day x.

Would be the biggest scandal in Europe if it would be islamists. Gets barely attention cause whiteness works.

Feb 19, 2018
So sad my heart and prayers goes to those impacted.

Thank you left wing for standing with us in the heat of hate from other parties. I'm growing more and more toward left wing I never thought I would say this ,but I truly believe they have pure morals and good heart.

Oct 31, 2017
New Zealand
I've only read the OP and this last page, too much to go through to see if this had been posted but two of the suspects have been confirmed to not be affiated with attack. One person had a gun on them to try and retrieve their child from school and the other was wearing full camo gear to pick up his brother in law from a high school. The latter was charged with disorderly behavior due to his camo gear.

I'll try and find the links.
Links

Parent with firearm
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-...caught-with-firearm-on-school-run-police.html

Camo guy
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-...-seeking-compensation-over-arrest-report.html

Oct 25, 2017

It's not. I saw lots of people on Twitter saying "It was just memes, he would have done this anyways regardless"

The dude was conditioned through social media. White supremacists are using the same recruiting tactics as ISIS, and the alt-light (Shapiro, Peterson, signal boosters like PDP and Rogan) are gateways to extremism.

Oct 25, 2017
Of all the people to go after for this I admit that's not a choice I would've picked

But I do agree folks should be apologizing to Omar.
I dont think she should be attacked but people are understandably still upset with her due to the whole Ilhan Omar thing. Her showing up to vigils is just not a good look for her right now.

Nov 7, 2017
I dont think she should be attacked but people are understandably still upset with her due to the whole Ilhan Omar thing. Her showing up to vigils is just not a good look for her right now.
The fuck is wrong with you? Her showing up to vigils isnt ok?

Understandably still upset? Look I think what she said was dumb but Im not gonna say she shouldnt attend vigils and that ir makes sense that people are attacking her over it

Oct 28, 2017
Dude only got charged with a single murder? Right out of the gate, every death should be on him, no?

Also, fuck this, what's the deal with assholes and fascination with gore? Co-worker approached me yesterday to show the mass shooting videos.

Worst yet, he approached another co-worker, polar opposite of me, meek female 20something, fuck off exposing this crap around.

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately it’s not the case for my younger brother, he deflects all blame Pewdiepie gets on the news trying to get clicks and feminism; he has watched (unsure if he continues to, I don’t see him subscribed) Ben Shapiro and likes him because he “owns the libs” and is an intellectual. He constantly says the N and homophobic F word around me when he’s home from school (will be tonight, yay) and I presume around his friends’ because in his words, and I’m paraphrasing, “I have black/gay friends in college and they say I can say it, none of my black roommates from Africa care that I say it nor my gay friends, always with you feminists/liberals getting triggered over everything and changing the meaning of words to suit your argument.”
*arguing in the car about disproportionate incarceration of minorities, paraphrasing* “Well the stats say 90% (or some crazy statistic) of Blacks in prison today are criminals! You think they would lie about that!? That the Black people in prison didn’t land their way their due to violent crime?!”
Other thought-provoking shit he says:
“Climate change exists but not because of fossil fuels but due to extreme temperatures fluxuations in the Earth every couple thousand years.”
“I don’t hate gay people, I just don’t believe they should marry, but if they do (say a friend of his) don’t invite me.”
“Transgenders are men in women’s clothing.”
He has a friend that claims gays are a byproduct of sexual abuse and that’s why they are gay.
Supports Donald Trump and he can’t be wrong ever because he’s rich, along with most of his friend group, some even threw a doploraball party and went to the Trump rally three hours away in Duluth, MN as well, in my guess, start shit with the protesters, film it and frame it around “Antifa” violence. I have no proof of this one but considering these were the ones that had a deploraball party, I wouldn’t be surprised.

He’s 20, too far gone, grew up going to a school that was all right-wing Bush/Romney/Trump-supporting individuals, parents’ of classmates voted for Supreme Court and ridding Roe v Wade and tax breaks. Brother watches Pewdiepie and a lot of workout youtubers that I don’t know much about but peddle supplements, watches Logan Paul and had watched Syndicate I believe. He’s a lost cause and I’m done getting into it with him because all he does is gaslight the conversation and has a pompous, arrogant 20 year old attitude where he staunchly believes everything he says is right and will be hard-presses to change his mind.
I’m tired of getting into yelling matches with him over this shit.
Interesting you and your sibling are far removed in outlook. What is it that led you down different paths?

Yeah it autoplayed in my Twitter yesterday and I don't understand how you could possibly analyze it or watch or more than once, and this was just a very short clip. People were talking about some 15 minute shit in here and I don't understand how you could even do that to yourself. Leave that to the people who have to do it. All I can say is at the very least I hope that fucker is put in solitary for the rest of his life with no possible way to off himself.
I stumbled across a video of an Al Qaeda beheading video when I was around 20. It's burned in to my consciousness. Admittedly, you sort of become more numb to the horror eventually. Also, there's also the morbid thought that seeing this might help you prepare yourself if you ever found yourself in such a situation. That in no way means I think people should go watch that video. It was awful and quite frankly, I don't think anyone could be truly prepared for what happened there. It's called a slaughter for a reason.

Oct 25, 2017
The fuck is wrong with you? Her showing up to vigils isnt ok?

Understandably still upset? Look I think what she said was dumb but Im not gonna say she shouldnt attend vigils and that ir makes sense that people are attacking her over it
I already said I dont agree with her being attacked and the rhetoric that she's responsible for this tragedy is plain ridiculous. But I'm not looking for her solidarity now either. The same right wing people that inspired this attack used her misguided comments to launch a bad faith smear campaign on one of our own just last week. I wouldn't want to see Pelosi and some of these other Dems there either.

They're free to do what they want at the end of the day. Just dont be surprised if people are unhappy with them being there.