• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Sine you are invoking Nazis, I will as well. Open a history book and read about the Reichstag Fire Decree. In response to a terrorist attack (false flag in the case of the fire, NZ attack obviously isn't) the German government restricted - (from wiki) personal freedom, freedom of expression, the freedom to organize and assemble, the privacy of postal, telegraphic and telephonic communications. Warrants for House searches, orders for confiscations as well as restrictions on property, are also permissible beyond the legal limits otherwise prescribed.

I partially agree with your "whataboutism" statement that islamic terrorists have huge resources put against them while white terrorists have very little. However, if you've watched recent DoJ congressional testimony there are lawmakers and agency officials that are very aware of the threat of radicalized home grown terrorists. That change in focus can't wholly be complete with the current government.
"I concede in my post the two events are completely unrelated, but I'm gonna go ahead with this poor comparison anyways."

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
I just got straight up threatened on twitter indirectly.
Context is that there was a post made about "soy boys" yelling at this woman (works for that show run by Alex Jones), so the ones support of him on twitter come on and say this is why we need guns to fight against soy boys. So i chirp in to say along lies of how it's sad you need a gun to be equal to the soy boy because you are too weak in the inside with insecurity.
Mob army comes, some indirectly threaten me saying they buy guns and or have guns to wad off soy boys like me. Report some toxic ones, twitter deemed it not abusive. Free army comes in saying how it's perfectly acceptable to say things like that etc.

When abuse/threats = protected by free speech. Like jeez, i can't wrap my head around that.
Fuckin yikes

I'm sorry

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Pewdiepie defenders are scum. But I'm sure he's just following a white supremacy account and signal boosting a bunch of alt right figures for memes

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
For me indirect threats are still threats.
I wasn't aware of the term soy boy, internet is incredible always a new word to insult people and put them in a category ...

On the free speech subject i'm All for it.
As a philosophical satanist, it's important to say what you have to say but always be aware that if you have this right the people in front of you have the same right.
So basically if you are dumb prepare to embrace the shitstorm.

Every time I am confronted with a racist moron , I try to understand why he is like this and maybe with good arguments I will make him understand why I think is wrong.
If that person can't say what he thinks, his hate will grow stronger overtime and maybe turn into something worse.
I think it's better to know people and try to civilise them than let them in their corner .

Another thing, black/death metal music have often extremely violent lyrics about killing people in atrocious manners, to kill Christians and all.
Have you often seen a black metal mass/serial murderer?
Do you think it needs to be censored?

To express yourself violently in music does not make you a bad person , same goes with video games.

I think it's really difficult to target someone online because of the keyboard barrier.
Most of the people talking shit and going full racist online are you nice coworkers or neighbors.
If you censor them what will happen?
Let them speak and you will see who they really are.

Violence is an agreed upon distinction. Nobody can deny that punching someone is a violent act which is why we are comfortable saying that violence is not caused by music or games because we all have the ability to recognize violence and stop ourselves from engaging in it.

Racism, sexism and the sort do not have an agreed upon distinction. There are thousands of people who don't think saying "Death to all Jews" is antisemetic, the world doesn't have the same agreed upon distinction that violence has about these things. Because of that not everyone is able to recognize that the racist lyrics they are hearing or sexist imagery they are seeing are bad things, especially if they are not being framed as bad things. And when people have been convinced by media that calling someone the N word doesn't make you a racist then people end up using it because after all, what's the harm in doing something that isn't bad?

Second of all. Not everyone deserves to be on the equal space. People can say whatever they want but that doesn't mean going on Nick Jr and spouting off white genocide conspiracy theories should be accepted. If people wanna do that shit they can go on fucking Stormfront or any other racist website out there. It should not be on the same platform that others use to spread messages of peace. It should not be in the public discourse treated as an equal opinion.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
These social media companies have billions of dollars and have not made the level of investment required to stop this.

There should be a dedicated team of hundreds worldwide at Facebook to monitor livestreams, and an algorithm for accounts that usually don't have that many views but are suddenly getting massive traffic on their livestream that will automatically place that livestream as a major priority for immediate review.

There should also be a delay on livestreams for unverified accounts.

Basically I'm saying these super duper smart tech companies are complete failures when it comes to public safety and I'm all for the government stepping in when they fail the next time.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
These social media companies have billions of dollars and have not made the level of investment required to stop this.

There should be a dedicated team of hundreds worldwide at Facebook to monitor livestreams, and an algorithm for accounts that usually don't have that many views but are suddenly getting massive traffic on their livestream that will automatically place that livestream as a major priority for immediate review.

There should also be a delay on livestreams for unverified accounts.

Basically I'm saying these super duper smart tech companies are complete failures when it comes to public safety and I'm all for the government stepping in when they fail the next time.
History has shown capitalists don't give half a fuck about public safety or even common decency.

It has to be forced on them every time.

Regulating social media should have been a conversation 10 years ago.

faced

Dec 17, 2017
History has shown capitalists don't give half a fuck about public safety or even common decency.

It has to be forced on them every time.

Regulating social media should have been a conversation 10 years ago.

I remember when Occupy Wall St happened, 8 years ago, and everyone thought Banks were the most dangerous thing in the world

BanGy

Oct 25, 2017
Please don't describe the attack.

Leader of the opposition publicly come out for banning semiautomatic weapons, so they're probably gone. I except we'll follow the Australian model.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Terra Firma He does - and it's one of the most truely heinous things I've ever seen someone do to another human.

Do us a favour and remove that part from your post, I for one having seen it, don't need to be reminded of it.

the_id

Oct 25, 2017
I thought I'd be alright for work today. Thought I'd tough it out and i think everyone at work was including our patients.

But it got too overwhelming knowing my brothers and sisters are suffering in Christchurch.

And so I broke down into tears today.....

Absent

Oct 26, 2017

nzherald @nzherald

Exclusive: Accused mosque gunman sacks lawyer and plans to defend himself, concern he'll use a trial as platform to promote beliefs http://nzh.nu/SRTP30o4We2

6:52 PM - Mar 17, 2019

Andrew Beatty @AndrewBeatty

The Australian gunman charged in the New Zealand twin mosque attack plans to represent himself, his court-appointed duty lawyer tells @AFP's @curious_scribe

11:16 PM - Mar 17, 2019

Fuck all of this.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
New Zealand has been handling this so well.

New Zealand showing America what progress really is like...good stuff.

good on them, everything the victims families are going through the last thing they need to worry about right now is costs like that.
New Zealand is doing such a good job in dealing with the aftermath of such a horrific event.

Just to clarify, the funeral costs and income compensation is not Jacinda Ardern going above and beyond specifically for the victims to pay their funeral costs.

Both of these are already existing entitlements though ACC (Accident Compensation Corporation), granted to any victims of murder or manslaughter, regardless of their citizenship or immigration status.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Just to clarify, the funeral costs and income compensation is not Jacinda Ardern going above and beyond specifically for the victims to pay their funeral costs.

Both of these are already existing entitlements though ACC (Accident Compensation Corporation), granted to any victims of murder or manslaughter, regardless of their citizenship or immigration status.

Yes, but the point is that you get none of that in America. Hence the comparison in the tweet.

The US doesn't even meet the NZ baseline.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas

nzherald @nzherald

Exclusive: Accused mosque gunman sacks lawyer and plans to defend himself, concern he'll use a trial as platform to promote beliefs http://nzh.nu/SRTP30o4We2

The Australian gunman charged in the New Zealand twin mosque attack plans to represent himself, his court-appointed duty lawyer tells @AFP's @curious_scribe

I hope the judge literally orders the suspect to be gagged during the trial.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

nzherald @nzherald

Does New Zealand have publication bans? If so they better have one for whatever this guy says.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Post-Cabinet meeting press conference summary with PM Jacinda Ardern and Deputy PM/Foreign Affairs Minister Winston Peters
Full video: https://www.facebook.com/jacindaardern/videos/546035515886781/

- reiterates free text/call hotline is available for people who are distressed or have mental health concerns due to the attack
- tomorrow, MPs will gather in Parliament for statements of condolence
- Jacinda returns to Christchurch on Wednesday to meet with first responders and families
- process of returning bodies to families is fully underway, aims to be completed on Wednesday

Cabinet meeting details
- Included members of Labour, NZ First and Green Party to discuss key issues around the attack
- Cabinet has made 'in-principle' decisions on gun laws (basically the outcome has been decided but the details are still to be worked out), more details before next Cabinet meeting next Monday
- within 10 days of the terrorist attack, gun law reform will be announced
- Cabinet was unified in decisions with no disagreement
- understands that gun owners may have concerns, says that they are not targeted by the reform, believes that most gun owners will be in favour of the changes
- reminds and encourages people that they can surrender their gun to the Police at any time, has heard reports that people are doing this
- there will be an Enquiry around the attack, regarding what each agencies knew, or could/should have known, the offender's activity regarding travel and gun ownership, his use of social media and relationships to others, and information sharing between agencies. Includes SIS, GCSB, Police, Customs, Immigration. Details being finalised
- preliminary discussions around official national commemorations, memorial date to be announced soon, but will not be this week to prioritise the families and their grieving
- funeral grant available through ACC for families of victims, up to $10,000
- Victim Support to finalise other support eg. transporting bodies overseas
- high police visibility to continue in Christchurch

Question time (questions and answers paraphrased)
Q. Are you saying a ban on semiautomatic weapons is coming?
JA: If anyone has concerns about the legality of a gun they own, or are concerned about public safety due to the attack, they are welcome to surrender that weapon. We have made in-principle decisions within 72 hours and are taking the time to finalise the details

Q. Will the changes involve semiautomatic weapons?
JA: I've said before that NZers question the availability of military style semiautomatic weapons. But details are still to come. When Australia were in the same position they took 12 days to make a decision, we took 72 hours.

Q. Was the decision hard to make/agree on?
JA: No, cabinet was unified. NZ First party supported them (Winston Peters states it was a Cabinet decision)

Q. What's changed since the original 2017 recommendations?
JA: Unsure if this had ever reached the Select Committee
WP: The reality is our world changed on Friday, and so must our laws

Q. Tell us about the spike in threatening/violent messages after the attack
JA: This is a trend that occurs in regions that experience these kinds of attacks. We are looking at the lessons and patterns around this cycle and are taking precautions. This is also why our terror threat level remains on High

Q. Have you spoken to Facebook since their last update
JA: Not directly, but we know that 1.5 million uploads of the video have been stopped, with 1.2 million of them stopped automatically at the upload stage. I call on social media platforms to demonstrate responsiblity around the content that leads to these events and the people that perpetuate hate speech and violent threats

Q. Has Facebook indicated their changes?
JA: They have sent condolences, are working proactively to shut down video sharing of the attack, they have acknowledged the issues around hate speech. My view is there is more that can and should be done

Q. Details on people panic-buying firearms?
JA: No official reports but I have heard anecdotes. I would advise people who are thinking of investing in firearms right now to be cautious and wait for certainty

Q. Did you talk to the Australian Foreign Minster about deporting the offender?
WP: We talked about their condolences and their offer of support

Q. Turkish President has used the livestream footage in his election campaign, do you think that's acceptable?
WP: I made it clear to Turkish Foreign Minister that it misrepresents our contry and imperils the safety of NZers and people abroad and is unfair. We did not bring about this disaster and they understood that

Q. Has the terror watchlist changed?
JA: No advice received

Q. National day of mourning?
JA: Yes, details to be announced. Giving time to families to buried their loved ones is priority. It won't be this week because of this

Q. Did Cabinet consider a moratorium on gun sales as the new legislation is finalised?
JA: Yes it was discussed but any details still to come

Q. Muslims have been warning the government for years about this, why wasn't more done?
JA: I have put this question to our agencies who have assured me that threats have always been followed up on. But this is not enough, which is why there will be an Enquiry to look into these kinds of issues

Q. Should there be a Royal Commission?
JA: No specific decision on the nature of Enquiry (Royal Commission, Public Enquiry, Ministerial Enquiry). But timeliness, public confidence, and classified information will be considered when deciding this

Q. Are you suggesting there was disagreement at Cabinet?
JA: No, cabinet was unified, the time taken is because law is complicated

Q. Will the Opposition support your proposed changes?
JA: It's up to them but I imagine they will be supportive

Q. Gun City owner wants to meet, would you be willing to see him
JA: Haven't received his request but would consider it

Q. Does Christchurch have a problem with racism?
JA: WP is right, the primary suspect was not a NZ citizen. However that is not to say that there aren't people in NZ who hold values and idea and use language that is completely counter to what the vast majority of NZers believe. We cannot ignore that and we must be aware of the fact that there are those who do not share our values of openness, diversity, compassion, and we must confront this as a nation

Q. Will you pull advertising from Google/FB?
JA: This has not been discussed today

Q. Attorney General said semiautomatic weapons would be banned and that went around the world
JA: I've spoken to him since then

Last edited:

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Post-Cabinet meeting press conference summary with PM Jacinda Ardern and Deputy PM/Foreign Affairs Minister Winston Peters
Full video: https://www.facebook.com/jacindaardern/videos/546035515886781/

- reiterates free text/call hotline is available for people who are distressed or have mental health concerns due to the attack
- tomorrow, MPs will gather in Parliament for statements of condolence
- Jacinda returns to Christchurch on Wednesday to meet with first responders and families
- process of returning bodies to families is fully underway, aims to be completed on Wednesday

Cabinet meeting details
- Included members of Labour, NZ First and Green Party to discuss key issues around the attack
- Cabinet has made 'in-principle' decisions on gun laws (basically the outcome has been decided but the details are still to be worked out), more details before next Cabinet meeting next Monday
- within 10 days of the terrorist attack, gun law reform will be announced
- Cabinet was unified in decisions with no disagreement
- understands that gun owners may have concerns, says that they are not targeted by the reform, believes that most gun owners will be in favour of the changes
- reminds and encourages people that they can surrender their gun to the Police at any time, has heard reports that people are doing this
- there will be an Enquiry around the attack, regarding what each agencies knew, or could/should have known, the offender's activity regarding travel and gun ownership, his use of social media and relationships to others, and information sharing between agencies. Includes SIS, GCSB, Police, Customs, Immigration. Details being finalised
- preliminary discussions around official national commemorations, memorial date to be announced soon, but will not be this week to prioritise the families and their grieving
- funeral grant available through ACC for families of victims, up to $10,000
- Victim Support to finalise other support eg. transporting bodies overseas
- high police visibility to continue in Christchurch

Question time (questions and answers paraphrased)
Q. Are you saying a ban on semiautomatic weapons is coming?
JA: If anyone has concerns about the legality of a gun they own, or are concerned about public safety due to the attack, they are welcome to surrender that weapon. We have made in-principle decisions within 72 hours and are taking the time to finalise the details

Q. Will the changes involve semiautomatic weapons?
JA: I've said before that NZers question the availability of military style semiautomatic weapons. But details are still to come. When Australia were in the same position they took 12 days to make a decision, we took 72 hours.

Q. Was the decision hard to make/agree on?
JA: No, cabinet was unified. NZ First party supported them (Winston Peters states it was a Cabinet decision)

Q. What's changed since the original 2017 recommendations?
JA: Unsure if this had ever reached the Select Committee
WP: The reality is our world changed on Friday, and so must our laws

Q. Tell us about the spike in threatening/violent messages after the attack
JA: This is a trend that occurs in regions that experience these kinds of attacks. We are looking at the lessons and patterns around this cycle and are taking precautions. This is also why our terror threat level remains on High

Q. Have you spoken to Facebook since their last update
JA: Not directly, but we know that 1.5 million uploads of the video have been stopped, with 1.2 million of them stopped automatically at the upload stage. I call on social media platforms to demonstrate responsiblity around the content that leads to these events and the people that perpetuate hate speech and violent threats

Q. Has Facebook indicated their changes?
JA: They have sent condolences, are working proactively to shut down video sharing of the attack, they have acknowledged the issues around hate speech. My view is there is more that can and should be done

Q. Details on people panic-buying firearms?
JA: No official reports but I have heard anecdotes. I would advise people who are thinking of investing in firearms right now to be cautious and wait for certainty

Q. Did you talk to the Australian Foreign Minster about deporting the offender?
WP: We talked about their condolences and their offer of support

Q. Turkish President has used the livestream footage in his election campaign, do you think that's acceptable?
WP: I made it clear to Turkish Foreign Minister that it misrepresents our contry and imperils the safety of NZers and people abroad and is unfair. We did not bring about this disaster and they understood that

Q. Has the terror watchlist changed?
JA: No advice received

Q. National day of mourning?
JA: Yes, details to be announced. Giving time to families to buried their loved ones is priority. It won't be this week because of this

Q. Did Cabinet consider a moratorium on gun sales as the new legislation is finalised?
JA: Yes it was discussed but any details still to come

Q. Muslims have been warning the government for years about this, why wasn't more done?
JA: I have put this question to our agencies who have assured me that threats have always been followed up on. But this is not enough, which is why there will be an Enquiry to look into these kinds of issues

Q. Should there be a Royal Commission?
JA: No specific decision on the nature of Enquiry (Royal Commission, Public Enquiry, Ministerial Enquiry). But timeliness, public confidence, and classified information will be considered when deciding this

Q. Are you suggesting there was disagreement at Cabinet?
JA: No, cabinet was unified, the time taken is because law is complicated

Q. Will the Opposition support your proposed changes?
JA: It's up to them but I imagine they will be supportive

Q. Gun City owner wants to meet, would you be willing to see him
JA: Haven't received his request but would consider it

Q. Does Christchurch have a problem with racism?
JA: WP is right, the primary suspect was not a NZ citizen. However that is not to say that there aren't people in NZ who hold values and idea and use language that is completely counter to what the vast majority of NZers believe. We cannot ignore that and we must be aware of the fact that there are those who do not share our values of openness, diversity, compassion, and we must confront this as a nation

Q. Will you pull advertising from Google/FB?
JA: This has not been discussed today

Q. Attorney General said semiautomatic weapons would be banned and that went around the world
JA: I've spoken to him since then

Why can't America be this sensible?

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017

nzherald @nzherald

He's definitely going to try to grandstand in front of the court and hope it's televised. They need to be ready to stop him

Tiamat

Nov 16, 2017
Why can't America be this sensible?
I seems that thoughts and prayers are more effective than gun control.
That's image we see in Europe regarding the issue in the USA.
In France we had terrorist attacks regularly for less than 10 years.
We haven't to change the law because we can't buy assault rifles and even if we want to buy a handgun , the process is long and difficult. (Gun permit, no criminal past , you need to register the gun at the police station, the gun must locked in a safe etc...)
And you know what?, we don't have mass shootings (excepts terrorist attacks).

blodtann

Jun 7, 2018
Whenever a tragedy like this happens we always blame
- A whole group of other people
- Their religions
- The laws
- Their upbringing
- Their friends
- Books

Let's blame the crazy person who did this, instead of causing even more subdivision and hate.

Feb 3, 2018
He's definitely going to try to grandstand in front of the court and hope it's televised. They need to be ready to stop him

Breivik did the same thing here in Norway he kept his lawyer he tried to grandstand several times but the judge shut him down pretty quickly.

And the media was shut out of the court several times only allowed to report what was going on but not actually film it.

Oct 29, 2017
Whenever a tragedy like this happens we always blame
- A whole group of other people
- Their religions
- The laws
- Their upbringing
- Their friends
- Books

Let's blame the crazy person who did this, instead of causing even more subdivision and hate.
Sorry mate but the reason why people do these things is massively important, it's not acceptable to just go 'dude is just crazy' because that isn't an explanation.

blodtann

Jun 7, 2018
Sorry mate but the reason why people do these things is massively important, it's not acceptable to just go 'dude is just crazy' because that isn't an explanation.

True, but when hateful statements are made against groups who are able to read the same book without killing people, it just causes an even wider division and lights the fuse for the next attack.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
True, but when hateful statements are made against groups who are able to read the same book without killing people, it just causes an even wider division and lights the fuse for the next attack.

so the people who dislike white supremacists are the ones causing the real division?