• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
While I understand people being a bit taken aback by the authorities calling this a "firearms incident" or what have you as opposed to a terrorist attack, remember that this is an active situation and investigation at this point on the authorities' side of things.

It's easy for us or a politician to label it as such, and given the sleuthing that has gone on already we can just about definitively conclude that it is a terrorist attack. But I know at least American cops and likely NZ's finest likely aren't going to jump to proclaim this as a terror attack until later, if they do at all.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
D1rWsCPUYAExYHA.jpg%3Alarge

This is an elected Australian Senator....
For fuck's sake. So many good people dead and an asshole like this can keep spewing divisive rhetoric.

My heart goes out to everyone affected. Absolutely awful news.

Deleted member 47092

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
While I understand people being a bit taken aback by the authorities calling this a "firearms incident" or what have you as opposed to a terrorist attack, remember that this is an active situation and investigation at this point on the authorities' side of things.

It's easy for us or a politician to label it as such, and given the sleuthing that has gone on already we can just about definitively conclude that it is a terrorist attack. But I know at least American cops and likely NZ's finest likely aren't going to jump to proclaim this as a terror attack until later, if they do at all.

Whilst I agree in sentiment, this isn't applied consistently.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Of course it's an AR-15, and in the same day as the sandy hook decision. If people really wanted to have those things they do a terrible job of keeping them away from the wrong people.

ac0083

Banned
Mar 11, 2019
I've been nervous to ask, but who is Pewdiepie? I believe he's a YouTuber but otherwise I don't know a thing about him, other than this monster mentioned him apparently during the shooting.

Dec 28, 2018
This is all just so incredibly sad to see this kind of shit happen to innocent people, just fuck. I hope the fuckers that did this rot in hell for this.

Bastables

Dec 3, 2017
One suspect will be up at high court tommrow morning, one there, armed two others being worked through. Armed defenders and special tactics units are being deployed to insure the safety of Mosques and worshipers.

SIS and gcsb of course had fuck all and passed nothing on to the police so of course the police were not watching them either. Aus intelligence services had nothing on them either.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
Whilst I agree in sentiment, this isn't applied consistently.

Not always but I do look at this more as them not jumping to conclusions until they've interrogated the suspects and conducted a thorough investigation surrounding the manifesto and other social media posts he/they were responsible for.

I just wouldn't immediately look at that definition and think the cops are being coy about what this is. Just that they're properly investigating this in an official capacity before they attach "terrorism" to this without properly processing the motivation.

And again just to be clear, I view this as an act of terrorism without a doubt. Though my views and the views of the police of Christchurch before their investigation is complete likely will differ.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Australia has always been a bit isolated from the rest of the world. I honestly think this has played a part in some people's extremist and ignorant views. The majority of people in Australia are not racist obviously, but there is a problem when we allow things to fester and not address them properly like the fact that an alt right rally was allowed go ahead in Melbourne and milo being allowed into the country.

When I say Australia's been isolated, I say the average person doesn't have a great understanding of international affairs. Anytime I go to the BBC website, it has a significantly more global viewpoint, but that sort of stuff is relegated to the middle pages of the broadsheet or SBS in Australia.

ThaNotoriousSOD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Death toll at 49 now. Fuck this hurts so much. I am dreading the feeling of despair at Friday prayer tomorrow.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
49 dead? Oh my god.

My heart bleeds for the families and friends of the deceased, and for New Zealand as a whole. This is cruelty in its purest form. To attack defenseless families during their time of peace and reflection is just.......barbaric. I'm absolutely stunned by the pure evilness of it all.

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
Absolutely heartbreaking. Unfortunately O thought something like this would happen eventually. With so much anti muslim sentiment fuelled by the media and the rise of right wing extremism and nationalist politics festering online it seemed only a matter of time before some knuckle dragger acted on his repugnant views. Islamophobia is the most socially accepted form of prejudice. It is poison. My thoughts are with the victims and their families.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
As long as hate speech is allowed, this radicalization of the far right is never going away. I want to see the same response from authorities as there is for any other terrorist attack.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
: pewdiepie's culpability, all these white terrorists seem to cite those alt-right types (Shapiro, etc) in their manifestos so maybe, just maybe they share some responsibility? Maybe that's how they got radicalized in the first place?

They never will, they hold freedom of speech like it's a shield from the consequences of what they say. Their cowards, whispering all the worst things into the heads of the worst people

Oct 27, 2017
I've been nervous to ask, but who is Pewdiepie? I believe he's a YouTuber but otherwise I don't know a thing about him, other than this monster mentioned him apparently during the shooting.

Is one of the biggest YouTubers in the world, I don't watch any of his content but apparently he has been slipping right wing, racist, etc messages into his videos, endorsing people with those beliefs, and I'm sure much more. His platform is enormous.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Still no word from my neighbor's family. At this point i'm preparing for the worse. I'm hoping they'll get back to her once things settle down, but I got her a flight there anyway.

So pissed at how helpless I feel right now.

BeforeU

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Rest in Peace to the victims, god damn thats a very high number of casualties :(