• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Reading US newspapers today - they are all, at least, rightly calling the suspects terrorists.

Katsyo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure how the citizenship laws factor into legalities, but New Zealand has significantly less strict gun laws than Australia. Here gun laws are tight as fuck, implemented after the aforementioned Port Arthur massacre. Unless you knew where to look and had the volume of money to splash, acquiring an AR-15 in Australia would not be easy. Let alone getting it overseas.

New Zealand is another matter entirely. From memory, the police issue firearm licenses to citizens in New Zealand, on the condition they meet extremely basic "good standing" tests. None of this includes a psyche or thorough history examination.

It's also entirely possible he acquired them illegally. If it's true he made a good bit of money in investments, and had Bitcoin to back it up, he could procure firearms on darkweb marketplaces. The usual method is weapons are purchased and shipped in pieces to various addresses in the country of target to try and throw off customs.

Thanks for the info. I guess we will learn more about it and probably see what changes this might have on the NZ laws as well. I'm glad that they made it harder here in Finland to obtain guns since the last shooting.

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
That is very hard to believe, based on what was posted in the THQ/8chan thread and what I've read online about it.
4chan is a garbage fire, but it's a law abiding garbage fire. Posts that even joke about planned shootings and the usual illegal shit are taken down immediately.
Most people on 4chan have repeatedly demanded that /pol/ be deleted-while the previous owner did so with gusto, the current one is a chicken shit coward that opted to split the site into 4channel (sfw) and 4chan(nsfw) to avoid actually doing anything about it.
Remember 8chan believes on that premise ALONE 4chan is a censorship platform and you can get away with saying quite a lot.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
There were 35 murders in New Zealand in 2017, a 40-year low.

We have surpassed that in a single day in 2019.

Last edited:

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
Man i honestly wish donald trump said nothing at all. A tweet with best wishes and directly under it he links a white supremacist website. We all get it no need to speak in code that he hates minorities, that bullshit sympathy tweet just makes it worse.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man i honestly wish donald trump said nothing at all. A tweet with best wishes and directly under it he links a white supremacist website. We all get it no need to speak in code that he hates minorities, that bullshit sympathy tweet just makes it worse.

there are words i have to say about the way donald trump has impacted my city but i cannot express them for fear of getting banned. i want the man to reap what he's sowing

kingkenny76

Oct 31, 2017
I woke up this morning to this news, I'm absolutely shocked.
My deepest sympathies to all the Muslim community and people of New Zealand.
You'll Never Walk Alone

Mar 29, 2018
Yeah but it almost seems like we traded a decline for these horrible spikes.
These horrible spikes always happened, were even worse than they are today, and took place more often but we just never heard about it

On a global historical scale I mean - if you're talking about the patterns specifically in the USA then you're right that spiking mass killings are more prevalent then they were historically (crime in total is still down though)

Jadusable

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Concern trolling and false equivalencies surrounding hate speech over a series of posts
Couldn't really sleep at all last night, this whole thing is just awful. Of course these kind of people won't go after ISIS or anyone that can fight back.

My worst fear from this is that it's been proven effective with the current political climate, even if he literally outlines it in his manifesto that his intention is to divide both sides we literally can't help ourselves but immediately fulfill his wishes and politicize this & be at each other's throats. Whether it's Candace Owens, Pewdiepie, or Spyro the fucking Dragon he practically just paints his targets in his manifesto seemingly at random and like clockwork we execute. It's not like he's some kind of brilliant mastermind either, it really just speaks volumes that left and right are at that point that we can easily be led and manipulated by a deranged, meme-sprouting incel.

The meme sprouting part is what is really haunting about this stuff and grounds it in a weird way. You really see the personification of a /pol/ shit poster here and it's disturbing. Moreover, I really worry that this style of live-streaming the mass shooting with a GoPro will inspire others. Some dumbass edgelord is going to eventually try and do this with a school shooting and I only hope we can prevent it.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
Trump trying to mimick empathy

My warmest sympathy and best wishes goes out to the people of New Zealand after the horrible massacre in the Mosques. 49 innocent people have so senselessly died, with so many more seriously injured. The U.S. stands by New Zealand for anything we can do. God bless all!

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
his intention is to divide both sides we literally can't help ourselves but immediately fulfill his wishes and politicize this & be at each other's throats. Whether it's Candace Owens, Pewdiepie, or Spyro the fucking Dragon he practically just paints his targets in his manifesto seemingly at random and like clockwork we execute

get fucked you vile piece of shit

don't both-sides a mass fucking murderer

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just found out about this. This is horrible. RIP to the victims and families involved.

Something has to be done about these white terrorists being groomed online.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
If people could put the same amount of effort they spend hating into loving and caring for one other, the idea of a heaven would be trivial as we would already be there.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't really sleep at all last night, this whole thing is just awful. Of course these kind of people won't go after ISIS or anyone that can fight back.

My worst fear from this is that it's been proven effective with the current political climate, even if he literally outlines it in his manifesto that his intention is to divide both sides we literally can't help ourselves but immediately fulfill his wishes and politicize this & be at each other's throats. Whether it's Candace Owens, Pewdiepie, or Spyro the fucking Dragon he practically just paints his targets in his manifesto seemingly at random and like clockwork we execute. It's not like he's some kind of brilliant mastermind either, it really just speaks volumes that left and right are at that point that we can easily be led and manipulated by a deranged, meme-sprouting incel.

The meme sprouting part is what is really haunting about this stuff and grounds it in a weird way. You really see the personification of a /pol/ shit poster here and it's disturbing. Moreover, I really worry that this style of live-streaming the mass shooting with a GoPro will inspire others. Some dumbass edgelord is going to eventually try and do this with a school shooting and I only hope we can prevent it.

Take a guess which side the terrorist was on. Please fuck off with your bullshit.

Jadusable

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
get fucked you vile piece of shit

don't both-sides a mass fucking murderer

Easy. I get tensions are running high and it's an incredibly emotional time but that's uncalled for.

Wish you wouldn't see what you infer to be buzzwords and immediately jump to a black and white conclusion. This is a tragedy and immediately the left and right draw lines in the sand over it. It's fucked.

Oct 25, 2017
Just...just stop. Denying that Pewdiepie or Candace Owens had any effect on this incident or the politics surrounding it is just being wilfully ignorant.
They deserve the vitriol, simply because people like them led the impressionable down this rabbit hole of Right Wing radicalisation.

Awesome. This is empathy.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Trump trying to mimick empathy

Fuck Trump. Just fuck him and his transparent bullshit. Fuck him for pretending to give a damn about innocent Muslims when he based his entire campaign and administration on attacking them and demonizing them as much as possible in the eyes of the world.

Scumbag of the highest order.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"warmest sympathy". Can't even mimic empathy right, the SOB.

It's a hollow statement given how it lacks complete sincerity and uses the wrong words. If you want to see Trump truly sorrowful, look this his statements regarding how Manafort is being treated, the contrast should be apparent.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Congrats America. You are now officially a country that is exporting its hateful ideology. Right up there with the Saudi's.

Yup. Even the former mayor of that city said the same - that this is the sort of thing they thought only happened far away from their islands.

This is on America. Years of mass shootings with no effort at all on the part of the American government to prevent them has normalised these barbaric acts and now idiots all over the world are copying them. The American corporations that do nothing to combat this poisonous mentality on their own websites are similarly to blame for this. Facebook actually allowed this shit to be livestreamed and did nothing about it?

Increased knife crime in the UK, mass shootings in countries where this sort of thing just doesn't happen and increasingly dangerous and insidious ideologies spreading like wildfire... The world looks up to America as the example to follow and now look where that's gotten us.

Sure, we could address the problem of violent shitbags fueled by racism/xenophobia/religion-based hatred at a societal level since it's a problem that plagues every country on the planet, but why bother with all of that effort when we could just blame America for all of it instead? Whew, problem deflected, that was a close one.

Jadusable

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just...just stop. Denying that Pewdiepie or Candace Owens had any effect on this incident or the politics surrounding it is just being wilfully ignorant.
They deserve the vitriol, simply because people like them led the impressionable down this rabbit hole of Right Wing radicalisation.

I'm not denying the influence of anything. To me it seems like he's just throwing out random names when he's talking about his influences in the same breath as Spyro the Dragon inspired etho-nationalism. It can be confusing to someone who isn't on the exact pulse of all of these e-celebs - I had no idea who Candace Owens even was until last night.

Jesus, people.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
There were 14,723 deaths to gun violence in 2018 with 340 of them being mass shootings and he barely says anything about them. His empathy is so shallow an ant couldn't drown in it.

And notice how he doesn't say anything about right wing domestic terrorism? The things that led to this.

Imagine what he would've said if it was a muslim shooting up a place.

That blob is so transparent.

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This needs to light a fire under many, many conversations pakeha are uncomfortable having including the history of white supremacy in New Zealand, that is in other words the history of New Zealand.

i_am_ben

Oct 27, 2017
You know what he's going to get more than 19 votes this time and that should probably tell you all you need to know about some people in Australia.

He may very well get more than 19 votes, but he's not going to gain enough votes to get back into the Senate.

And that will tell you all you need to know about how Australia feels about him.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
One day people will stop giving the right the benefit of the doubt and acknowledge how it's actually their racist rhetoric, and only theirs, the one that promotes this behavior.

Such a tragedy, i can't believe people can do this stuff for fun and even livestream it.