• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not denying the influence of anything. To me it seems like he's just throwing out random names when he's talking about his influences in the same breath as Spyro the Dragon inspired etho-nationalism. It can be confusing to someone who isn't on the exact pulse of all of these e-celebs - I had no idea who Candace Owens even was until last night.

Jesus, people.
maybe dont try to "well achtually" the circumstances of a terror attack on the same fucking day it happened.
its basic tact man, now aint the time.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A resetera member is harming your neighbors? So you tell him to get fucked?

A Resetera member is being a wishywashy both-sidesy piece of shit about the motivations of a person who murdered 49 of my neighbours. I have every right to tell him he's vile and that he should get fucked.

You aren't owed my civility. Not here. Not today.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wtf at people analyzing the manifesto as some #deep sociological piece? It's fucking bullshit from deranged edgelord children.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Unbelievably tragic. RIP to all the victims, their families, and the community that has been shattered.

Jadusable

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A resetera member is harming your neighbors? So you tell him to get fucked?

It's fine. I get why he's angry. It's a very emotional time for a ton of people right now. There will be time for introspection and analysis of this event later, I get that everyone's probably very heavily in emotional mind right now.

schwifty

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A Resetera member is being a wishywashy both-sidesy piece of shit about the motivations of a person who murdered 49 of my neighbours. I have every right to tell him he's vile and that he should get fucked.

You aren't owed my civility. Not here. Not today.
You're insane.

Mod Edit: This post has been reverted to its original content.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Was kind of confused for a while if this was a case of someone managing to somehow smuggle in guns into the country. Didn't realize New Zealand just has notoriously lax gun laws.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not denying the influence of anything. To me it seems like he's just throwing out random names when he's talking about his influences in the same breath as Spyro the Dragon inspired etho-nationalism. It can be confusing to someone who isn't on the exact pulse of all of these e-celebs - I had no idea who Candace Owens even was until last night.

Jesus, people.

Then can you please look them up before you write something like that? It comes off as dismissive.
I know who Candace Owens is and I haven't looked her up in ages. Pewdiepie's antics aren't exactly hidden.
It's not difficult to know their positions when they lay it out in the open.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

"I have been deeply saddened by the appalling events in Christchurch today. Prince Philip and I send our condolences to the families and friends of those who have lost their lives.
I also pay tribute to the emergency services and volunteers who are providing support to those who have been injured.
At this tragic time, my thoughts and prayers are with all New Zealanders.
Elizabeth R"

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
This is the worst news to awaken to. My heart goes out to all the people and the families of the victims affected by this monstrous act.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
One day people will stop giving the right the benefit of the doubt and acknowledge how it's actually their racist rhetoric, and only theirs, the one that promotes this behavior.

Such a tragedy, i can't believe people can do this stuff for fun and even livestream it.

What about free speech! That's what get me. Somehow the world has shifted where "free speech" = accept my vile point of view as a viable point of fact without consequence and while you're at it, amplify it for me, thx.

Even in places with specific laws banning imagery etc...like Germany its not like the bigots are cowering or can't disseminate their ideas freely. Its just the fact that now they demand to be mainstream, and they are winning.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's fine. I get why he's angry. It's a very emotional time for a ton of people right now. There will be time for introspection and analysis of this event later, I get that everyone's probably very heavily in emotional mind right now.

First of all. Not a he. Second of all. The fact that I am not treating you with the civility you desire does not automatically make my conclusions wrong. I have zero tolerance for bullshit right now.

Deleted member 33412

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Tokyo
User Banned (2 Weeks): Whataboutism and downplaying hate speech
I just think we have to be very measured in who we classify as enablers. There are certainly people, many people, who have helped create an enviroment that fosters the school of thought that these shooters subscribed too but we still must be careful. Would you burn your Hitchens and Dawkins books if the shooter claimed to be a huge fan of theirs?

Also: Just because someone in this thread has a difference in opinion, and I am speaking about the not very agregious ones, does not make them a vile piece of shit.

My condolences to the Muslim Community of Christchurch.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just think we have to be very measured in who we classify as enablers. There are certainly people, many people, who have helped create an enviroment that fosters the school of thought that these shooters subscribed too but we still must be careful. Would you burn your Hitchens and Dawkins books if the shooter claimed to be a huge fan of theirs?

Also: Just because someone in this thread has a difference in opinion, and I am speaking about the not very agregious ones, does not make them a vile piece of shit.

My condolences to the Muslim Community of Christchurch.

stop trying to make this thread about pewdiepie, you're being really insulting to the gravity of the tragedy at hand

just say the deaths suck without jumping through hoops to defend your fave, fuck

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
Coming from the guy who wanted a "Muslim Ban". Fucking lol.
Wanted? Got. Banner/Miller/Sessions types just had to sprinkle in a few non-Muslim countries for the five conservatives on the Supreme Court to ignore all the evidence from Trump's public statements, tweets, and previous attempts at Muslim Ban executive orders, and find that it didn't target a specific religion and was therefore constitutional.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017

Jesus, people.

Maybe you should do a modicum of research before coming in with the ignorant take. It makes you look dumb on a normal day but today it makes you look like an inconsiderate shit.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Easy. I get tensions are running high and it's an incredibly emotional time

Jesus, people.
Then can you please look them up before you write something like that? It comes off as dismissive.
I know who Candace Owens is and I haven't looked her up in ages. Pewdiepie's antics aren't exactly hidden.
It's not difficult to know their positions when they lay it out in the open.

I would suspect he is familiar with them. One common human behavior is to overlook flaws or the wrongdoing of people, organizations, or systems even if you have the slightest vested interest.

I suspect he is a pewdiepie subscriber. Even this little bit of vested interest can invoke the behavior we see from the poster in some cases.

I advise people to unsubscribe from pewdiepie if they haven't already.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
This was horrible news to wake up to. It's awful how much destruction and sadness even one person can cause.

One of the sad realization in this life, is that it is so much easier and quick to destroy than to build. Somehow we will be resilient and rebuild time and time again.

We really need to deplatform these fucks

schwifty

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rather than revel in your ignorance, maybe you should stay quiet. "I don't know who she is, therefore she can't possibly have inspired the shooter" isn't an argument.
I might be parsing this incorrectly, but I think he's saying that PewDiePie and Candance Owens are awful (at least I hope he is), and that the shooter's manifesto seems to be riddled with red herrings

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

This is the first and biggest problem to address. Radicalized terrorist can and will happen among people of any ethnic group. Europe has a long history of red and black terrorism and it was organized and supplied white people killing other white people, no "lone wolves".

We need to look at this kind of phenomenon just like we do at any other form of terrorism, which means we need to find the channels were these people get radicalized, whatever economical support they may or may not get, and anyone who's possibly tied with them. We need to work on prevention and we need to do so looking in the same places we have no problem investigating when we go after other forms of terrorism. Failing to recognize that there is an ideological movement behind acts like this means we'll never defeat it.

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I really don't think you do. In a thread about a mass shooting in which 49 people were killed, you compared the shit people are rightfully giving racists like Candace Owens and Pewdiepie to an execution.

This issue is not that Kitsunelaine is being overly emotional, it's that you're playing armchair philosopher despite being embarrassingly underequipped for the task. Your key takeaway from this incident is stupid bullshit that ignores the real issue, and the insults were well deserved.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
This is the first and biggest problem to address. Radicalized terrorist can and will happen among people of any ethnic group. Europe has a long history of red and black terrorism and it was organized and supplied white people killing other white people, no "lone wolves".

We need to look at this kind of phenomenon just like we do at any other form of terrorism, which means we need to find the channels were these people get radicalized, whatever economical support they may or may not get, and anyone who's possibly tied with them. We need to work on prevention and we need to do so looking in the same places we have no problem investigating when we go after other forms of terrorism. Failing to recognize that there is an ideological movement behind acts like this means we'll never defeat it.
The problem is that this isn't a new thing. These services happily look the other way when it involves white nationalism. The only thing people can do is boycott them. Delete your Facebook and Twitter.