• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck. RIP to all of the victims. I hope the people that were injured have a speedy recovery.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
You misunderstood me.

I don't think anyone here should look too deeply into the manifesto. It's a pro white manifesto. It's also stacked with memes, and jokes.

So I hope no one is trying to figure out how Spyro inspired his ethno nationalism.

The memes and jokes are probably the most important point: terrorist putting out fucked up rants/manifesto after an attack is business as usual. Throwing memes and jokes shows in said rant shows that he didn't get radicalized from some obscure book or dark web site, but from mainstream social media

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bit puzzled by the bit about the Siege of Vienna (like, what does he mean with "apparently?" There's some bizzarre conspiracy theory I'm not aware of?) but the rest is spot on.

He gets the date a bit off - 1683, not 1863. Basically the Ottoman Empire made a a final major attempt to get a foothold in Europe beyond what is now Hungary and Romania, but were thwarted for a variety of reasons (including the largest cavalry charge in history, courtesy of the Poles). So it ends up commonly cited among shitheels like today's shooter as a notion of 'Christendom' defending itself against Islamic rule (which it admittedly was seen as back in the day - John III was dubbed 'the Saviour of Christendom' for his intervention). particularly given the additional context of how nations like Hungary and Poland have reacted to the refugee crisis. Nevermind of course the Ottomans were literally invading with like, an army and shit, rather than being innocent people trying to take part in Friday prayers in peace; the 'apparently' is because it's, as with so much of this, disingenuous usage of history to which they are largely unconnected to rationalise their bigotry.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
D1rWsCPUYAExYHA.jpg%3Alarge

This is an elected Australian Senator....

This is why cries of "this isn't us!" tend to ring hollow for me.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get it, wasn't there only one shooter who live streamed everything? Who are the 4 people arrested?

Three other people; one suspect in their late 20s is quite probably the shooter. The others were people nearby who were also armed; IIRC one is already believed to have just incidentally been in the area, but they're still investigating the other two.

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Inna Lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji'un.
^

You misunderstood me.

I don't think anyone here should look too deeply into the manifesto. It's a pro white manifesto. It's also stacked with memes, and jokes.

So I hope no one is trying to figure out how Spyro inspired his ethno nationalism.

The guy is clearly trying to get people have non-sensical arguments over his manifesto, he's included bs like this to "troll" people, the more people talk about his manifesto the more people talk about his message, the more it propagates. The issue is do you not talk about it at all to avoid this?What constitutes non-sensical etc. Where do you draw this line.

The main efforts should be focussed at the victims and preventio. Not towards the evil perpetrators.

Last edited:

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
He gets the date a bit off - 1683, not 1863. Basically the Ottoman Empire made a a final major attempt to get a foothold in Europe beyond what is now Hungary and Romania, but were thwarted for a variety of reasons (including the largest cavalry charge in history, courtesy of the Poles). So it ends up commonly cited among shitheels like today's shooter as a notion of 'Christendom' defending itself against Islamic rule (which it admittedly was seen as back in the day - John III was dubbed 'the Saviour of Christendom' for his intervention). particularly given the additional context of how nations like Hungary and Poland have reacted to the refugee crisis. Nevermind of course the Ottomans were literally invading with like, an army and shit, rather than being innocent people trying to take part in Friday prayers in peace; the 'apparently' is because it's, as with so much of this, disingenuous usage of history to which they are largely unconnected to rationalise their bigotry.

Yeah, I know history and I know nationalist idiots try to weaponize it for the own ends, I'm just puzzled because it sounded like he was dismissing what was, in fact, the third attempt of the Ottoman empire to military invade Europe. Maybe he's referring to the idea of making what was a fairly "mundane" imperialistic move by the Ottomans into some sort of "clash fo cultures".

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
^

The guy is clearly trying to get people have non-sensical arguments over his manifesto, he's included bs like this to "troll" people, the more people talk about his manifesto the more people talk about his message, the more it propagates. The issue is do you not talk about it at all, what constitutes non-sensical etc.
Yeah, that sums it up on what I want to say.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
The media has been better at accurately calling this a terrorist attack.
Maybe because it's pretty hard to get around doing so.
This was a well planned mass murder across two locations, seemingly involving multiple suspects, and police had to disarm associated IED car bombs.
I don't get it, wasn't there only one shooter who live streamed everything? Who are the 4 people arrested?
I believe this has been corrected as three people being in custody in relation to the terrorist attack, with one already charged with murder (the Australian national, Brenton Tarrant).

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Just got in and read the news. Awful. Abominable. I just... can't find the correct words to condemn this. RIP to the victims.

Hope authorities is tracking all these white supremacist fuckers. They are a danger to society.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I know history and I know nationalist idiots try to weaponize it for the own ends, I'm just puzzled because it sounded like he was dismissing what was, in fact, the third attempt of the Ottoman empire to military invade Europe. Maybe he's referring to the idea of making what was a fairly "mundane" imperialistic move by the Ottomans into some sort of "clash fo cultures".

Ah, gotcha. But yeah, I would definitely think it's because these people largely don't care for event or the wider historical context outside of using it as an idea of this supposed 'conflict' going back centuries. Nevermind the continuing paradox of praising Poles as the defenders of (white) Christendom while being disgusted at the thought of living next to a Pole (as earlier pages in this thread demonstrate through the Breitbart screenshots).

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the families have a place to grieve together since these nazi terrorists also took away the safe space the community had to get together.

zodiaq

Oct 28, 2017
I'm so sorry for the ones that lost their lives and cannot imagine what relatives and survivers have to cope with after this terror attack.

Oct 27, 2017
That manifesto was dumb. It contradicts itself and is full of fantasy racist fairy tales. He's just an uneducated murdering racist failure.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
This is a fucking disgrace. 49 people dead, 8chan still up promoting bullshit and no one taking action to put a stop to it.

Religious studies should be fucking mandatory at this point for elementary curriculum and higher. The only way we can even begin to erode the hatred is to educate children on the different beliefs in the world so they can be better than us.

"No one is asking you to like _______, or convert. We're just asking that you understand and respect."

This is the first thing said at all classes at my university for Religious studies.

Novel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I knew about 4chan, never heard of 8chan. Screened it for half an hour. Holyyyyy shittt!!! People are cheering on and praising the guy. There are multiple appreciation threads, these people are filled with hate. They are saying the guy has been thinking of this for 3 years and been planning it for 3 months and that some people on 8chan knew of his plans. How come no security agency knew about it? Unbelievable.

Because hotbeds of hate like 8chan that form movements like Gamergate are ignored by law enforcement by and large. It's also a haven for CP and lots of other reprehensible shit. Just one of many places these sick fucks hang out really.

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
Maybe the shooter appreciated Candace Owens' statement on how Hitler was fine until he tried to implement his policies across other countries like a "globalist"...

D1rBwMQWkAEz6CC.jpg

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
And they choose this time and this pray of the week in particular because they know friday "Jumma" pray is the most gathering.
It's also worth noting that the New Zealand vs Bangladesh cricket test match was scheduled to take place the next day just across the street. Bangladesh doesn't have a large fanbase in NZ but still, the team, support staff, reporters and fans were all in town, so that's a bit more traffic than usual. The team and support staff were at the mosque but are safe btw (and the test match is obviously cancelled).

This is devastating. I never expected anything like this to happen here of all places, we've always been our safe little corner of the planet, far away from all the crazy shit that happens on the other side of the planet or even across the ditch. Fuck anyone who had anything to do with this. The sacks of shit should rot in a small dark cell for the rest of their miserable lives.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dude, calm down. That's not even close to what I wanted to say.

Okay. I'm just... I've seen too many people going "lol what is this meme filled garbage, why is anyone taking any of this seriously". I'm exhausted, is all. It's 2am and I haven't been able to sleep. This all happened about a ten minute drive away from where I live. My tolerance level is at an all time low right now.

Novel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a fucking disgrace. 49 people dead, 8chan still up promoting bullshit and no one taking action to put a stop to it.

Religious studies should be fucking mandatory at this point for elementary curriculum and higher. The only way we can even begin to erode the hatred is to educate children on the different beliefs in the world so they can be better than us.

"No one is asking you to like _______, or convert. We're just asking that you understand and respect."

This is the first thing said at all classes at my university for Religious studies.

Unfortunately, so long as the right-wing has power literally anywhere in the world. They will do all they can to sell and peddle hate. It's what allows them to maintain power. It's all they know how to do and all they understand. They don't want understanding, empathy or kindness to exist in this world.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018

Cant we put some heat on the hosting company to shut the place down?

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
These horrible spikes always happened, were even worse than they are today, and took place more often but we just never heard about it

On a global historical scale I mean - if you're talking about the patterns specifically in the USA then you're right that spiking mass killings are more prevalent then they were historically (crime in total is still down though)

Technology now allows for a single person to do more damage than ever.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Okay. I'm just... I've seen too many people going "lol what is this meme filled garbage, why is anyone taking any of this seriously". I'm exhausted, is all. It's 2am and I haven't been able to sleep. This all happened about a ten minute drive away from where I live. My tolernace level is at an all time low right now.
With respect, I think after reading parts of the manifesto, some of us are starting to worry that "taking it seriously" is exactly what the terrorist wants. Something that would give him a laugh, because he wove it to be so ridiculous and baity.

We're all figuring this out together, though. Details are still coming to light. People are still mourning. Let's at least show each other some grace here while we can; even while it's hard to.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With respect, I think after reading parts of the manifesto, some of us are starting to worry that "taking it seriously" is exactly what the terrorist wants. Something that would give him a laugh, because he wove it to be so ridiculous and baity.

We're all figuring this out together, though. Details are still coming to light. People are still mourning. Let's at least show each other some grace here while we can; even while it's hard to.

You don't need to take the manifesto seriously. You need to take the threat it represents seriously. If you say "You shouldn't take the manifesto seriously", in a vaccum, you're dismissing the threat it represents.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
I was awake when it happened. Slept on it and still feel sick and I've avoided all media.

I think it's my kids being so innocent beside me stirring me up.

Those poor people.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I don't see that happening. I mean look at MGTOW on reddit (promotes anti women views). The Toronto van attacker was also inspired by people in those reddit, 4chan dwellings and those sites are still up

I think its a bit different today with the shooter explicitly shouting out those cesspools, and I have a sneaking suspicion that NZ will be much more pro-active then Canada was (which will hopefully lead to a domino de-platforming effect).

SonicThrust

Banned
Nov 8, 2018
That manifesto was dumb. It contradicts itself and is full of fantasy racist fairy tales. He's just an uneducated murdering racist failure.
An uneducated murdering racist failure with an ideology.

An ideology that needs to be rooted out and exterminated. It's full of memes and stupid bullshit but nearly 50 lives are now gone to prove how seriously we need to take this ideological threat. Government action to suppress and eradicate the safe havens of this hate and the people themselves who spread it is what is needed to stop this. Their speech propagated mass murder and will do so again unless state forces move to stop it.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017

I think history lessons should be the priority. If people had a better grasp of history they'd realise how stupid and ignorant racist beliefs are. Instead of thinking "they're taking our jobs!" or "go back to where you came from!" they'll have context for the world they live in.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why is it always the innocent that get hurt. Its always these fucking pricks that walk away while the scared and peaceful have to die or live with the trama and the greatest fucking crime is that they exist. Fuckin christ man, humanity is so cruel for the lols or whatever the fuck

Novel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

A lot of these fucks are highly radicalized and hide behind "memes" on places outside of 8chan to start to normalize and radicalize others who aren't indoctrinated to their side yet. As far as I'm concerned, any piece of shit there would just as easily love to do something like this. It should be taken seriously is my point because this whole shitshow is a result of right-wing media, right-wing politicians and right-wing movements working to do precisely what is going on. The end-game is to numb us, make more people like them and encourage more terrorist acts such as this.