• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Novel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is it always the innocent that get hurt. Its always these fucking pricks that walk away while the scared and peaceful have to die or live with the trama and the greatest fucking crime is that they exist. Fuckin christ man, humanity is so cruel for the lols or whatever the fuck

Oh, it's not "for the lols". That's just the shield they use constantly. Even with more "minor" shitty things as a way to normalize their behavior. It's purely for hate. Full-stop. These people are inhumane monsters, flat out.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
D1rWsCPUYAExYHA.jpg%3Alarge

This is an elected Australian Senator....
The fuck is this. Beyond the pale.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Absolutely not. That's messy.

Why? I think a 10 year old has the capacity to understand the nuances of different religions or at basic levels the differences. Teach kids what a Hijab, Niqab, Burka, Chador and such actually are for example. Education is the only way to dispel ignorance and in my opinion with a lot of people ignorance is what leads to hate.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
You don't need to take the manifesto seriously. You need to take the threat it represents seriously. If you say "You shouldn't take the manifesto seriously", in a vaccum, you're dismissing the threat it represents.
I'm sorry, no. That's a slippery slope. You're saying "if you don't take the manifesto seriously, you don't think white nationalism is a threat," which is not true at all. That's projecting some really nasty ignorance, or worse, evil, upon this community who's mourning *with* you right now.

And I'm not saying we should disregard the manifesto. I'm simply pointing out why some members might be sensitive or averse to its being shared and discussed. The idea that he's sitting in a cell having a chuckle because now he gets to see the things he wrote play across a dozen different breaking news banners and countless internet headlines... Well, it hurts.

Someone described the manifesto as a second attack, and I think that's accurate. By arguing over it and bringing light to it, it feels like the media is pouring salt in the wounds of victims and bringing the terrorist more celebrity. I think the manifesto was designed to do exactly that, more than it was designed to "reveal" his ideologies and views.

Oct 27, 2017
I just wanted to say, NZ is such a small country and so tight knit, this will affect so
With respect, I think after reading parts of the manifesto, some of us are starting to worry that "taking it seriously" is exactly what the terrorist wants. Something that would give him a laugh, because he wove it to be so ridiculous and baity.

We're all figuring this out together, though. Details are still coming to light. People are still mourning. Let's at least show each other some grace here while we can; even while it's hard to.
Authorities should take the manifesto seriously. Not the idiotic messages, but the source of those messages/memes, where those messages/memes are born and grow. And then shut those places down.

Oct 17, 2018
Religious studies should be fucking mandatory at this point for elementary curriculum and higher. The only way we can even begin to erode the hatred is to educate children on the different beliefs in the world so they can be better than us.

Hell no. I had R.E (Religious Education) in my secondary school as a mandatory subject and it was the most pointless shit ever. No one took it seriously and everyone just fucked around during class because it was the most pointless and laughable subject.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Jesus Christ. I'm filled with so many emotions right now. I feel heartbreak for the community of innocent people that this happened to. I feel rage at the far-right ideology that promotes this kind of horrifying violence. And I feel sickened by the promoters of said far-right ideology attempting to display their faux sympathy for these victims.

You do not get to spend months or years demonizing a group of people and then pretend to act surprised and sympathetic when a group of extremist filth take your rhetoric to heart and act on it.

Ian

Oct 27, 2017
Kent, UK
So what can we do (if anything) to make sure users of 8chan and the like are investigated? Who can we report them to?

Novel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what can we do (if anything) to make sure users of 8chan and the like are investigated? Who can we report them to?

These fuckers already likely have CP on most of their computers and most were actively involved in/started/helped to spread hate movements like GG. They get away with it still. This is, admittedly more heinous of an act than anything these shitstains have ever done. I just have to wonder how much any law enforcement would even care about this, shamefully. They didn't give a fuck about 8chan before.

msboo001

Oct 25, 2017
This is fucked. This is bullshit. I am mad and scared at the same time. When will those in power actually do SOMETHING about this piece of shit site 8-chan, and hell, even the main stream social media sites. Regulate or shut it down! I am more afraid of white men (as a white guy) but those in power would rather bomb anyone brown then actually look at the real threat to the Western World, the alt-right and the radicalization of disfranchised white men. Like Facebook, now that my mom finally got a smartphone her only exposure of the internet is Facebook and all her mentions and timeline is shitty alt-right trash.

Such pointless suffering and death. For nothing. I don't know what I can do really but... my heart goes to the Muslim community world wide and all of New Zealand.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry, no. That's a slippery slope. You're saying "if you don't take the manifesto seriously, you don't think white nationalism is a threat," which is not true at all. That's projecting some really nasty ignorance, or worse, evil, upon this community who's mourning *with* you right now.

And I'm not saying we should disregard the manifesto. I'm simply pointing out why some members might be sensitive or averse to its being shared and discussed. The idea that he's sitting in a cell having a chuckle because now he gets to see the things he wrote play across a dozen different breaking news banners and countless internet headlines... Well, it hurts.

Someone described the manifesto as a second attack, and I think that's accurate. By arguing over it and bringing light to it, it feels like the media is pouring salt in the wounds of victims and bringing the terrorist more celebrity. I think the manifesto was designed to do exactly that, more than it was designed to "reveal" his ideologies and views.

I just want people to be more considerate about how they tackle this issue. I don't want to enable what the shooter wants. That's the last thing I want. But I think it's more dangerous for everyone if we ignore what he represents. Proof of what he represents is in the manifesto. I don't want that proof to become easier to dismiss. He wrote out in big bright shining letters, "I AM A NEONAZI". I think that's the part that needs to be focused on rather than the actual contents, but since that's part of the manifesto itself, I see "You shouldn't take the manifesto seriously" as a dismissal of that.

It's weird and fucking complicated and it makes me want to scream.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Hell no. I had R.E (Religious Education) in my secondary school as a mandatory subject and it was the most pointless shit ever. No one took it seriously and everyone just fucked around during class because it was the most pointless and laughable subject.

That's why doing it in primary school is so critical. It doesn't even have to be overt. My elementary school had a world food day where they invited parents and other kid oriented organizations to introduce us to different cultures through food.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
If they can go after the hydra of the TPB, they can shut down the cockroach 4chan den and its spawns. The roaches won't be eliminated, but their motel will be gone and their meetings will be less organized.

TPB caused enough rich people to worry about losing enough money to be classified as a Problem worthy of Attention.

4chan / 8chan largely don't worry that many rich people about losing much money at all, so they wont get nearly the same sort of response.

Novel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IIRC, the hosting company is owned by the owner of 2chan - and 8chan is run by a 2chan engineer. I doubt they give a shit.

They're idiots who scream "freeze peach" as a way to justify CP, misogyny, racism, etc. etc. and hate movements inspired by what they deem should be free and allowed. So....yea. They likely give no fucks and possibly even support/want stuff like this to happen.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Maybe we as a society need to not allow hateful trolling in our online spaces. Stop dismissing it as "jost joxe" and make it unacceptable. I know it's not currently possible to eradicate completely. But I mean, when we see it, report it.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely not. That's messy.
In order to dispel the twisted rubbish the the right & Islamist peddle, yes they should. In order to understand a large portion of the world's communities yes they absolutely should. Preventing education on an important part of human's lives is a regressive idea.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I just want people to be more considerate about how they tackle this issue. I don't want to enable what the shooter wants. That's the last thing I want. But I think it's more dangerous for everyone if we ignore what he represents. Proof of what he represents is in the manifesto. I don't want that proof to become easier to dismiss. He wrote out in big bright shining letters, "I AM A NEONAZI". I think that's the part that needs to be focused on rather than the actual contents, but since that's part of the manifesto itself, I see "You shouldn't take the manifesto seriously" as a dismissal of that.

It's weird and fucking complicated and it makes me want to scream.
Yeah I hear you completely. You're right. He made sure his mess would be as difficult to clean up as possible. I hope we can figure out the most productive way to talk about this together, and hopefully we can start taking steps to prevent something like this from ever happening again.

Justice and peace won't be inspired by the media. We'll have to come together and figure this out on our own. It will be so hard.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
If people could put the same amount of effort they spend hating into loving and caring for one other, the idea of a heaven would be trivial as we would already be there.

I can't speak for everyone else but as a muslim I'm more than fine if white folks just left me the fuck alone. Love? Compassion? Nah I'm good, just leave me be. Sadly even that seems too much to ask for :/

i get you though, if more people treated each other as human beings we wouldn't be in this mess. Instead we have this stupid "us" vs "them".

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why freedom of speech can't be checked with accountability and repercussions.

Our laws have to change so we can go after these insidious elements.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
I'll bet right wing media is gonna side step from this dudes manifesto.

They should own up to the fact that they helped to shape this nut's mind.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why freedom of speech can't be checked with accountability and repercussions.

Our laws have to change so we can go after these insidious elements.

That's a dangerous road to go down because "Accountability and repercussions" can mean VERY different things to people today.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a dangerous road to go down because "Accountability and repercussions" can mean VERY different things to people today.
Please explain. I don't know what's wrong with holding those spewing hatred, bigotry, etc liable? We should be able to prosecute them.

Novel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The answer to extremism isn't to get even more ludicrously extreme, I understand you're heated right now though so I know you probably aren't serious.

I mean, it's not that extreme. These people are happy about terrorism. Encourage and engage in hate 24/7. Support actions like this and try to recruit others to their cause through innocuous memes via social media/youtube until they slowly convert others to their views. They or people they recruit/change over time are capable of these very same acts.

They're future criminals as far as I'm concerned and they actively pursue ends like this. Literally a sidestep away from doing something like this themselves. They're monsters. Something should be done about these people and how far-right wing extremism spreads online. But law enforcement doesn't understand the issue and a lot of the internet doesn't care/cares enough to call a response to this extremism extremism in return.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Truly sickening. This is the only option at this point. Beef up security at Mosques because its not even safe for people to pray in peace anymore.
Yeah, it's extremely disheartening. One of the boardmembers at our mosque is so scared that she texted me this morning if I knew anyone that can guard the building. Since I used to work security at hospitals around town years ago, she thought I might know security companies. We leave the gates wide open for people to come in...

mk2007

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry I have to get this out my chest.
FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK the media for not calling this a terrorist attack. I won't be surprised that in week the terrorist will be the victim of something. Fucking hypocrites.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck man - as much as I have the urge to read up on this as much as I can I think I need to avoid it for my own mental well-being.

Novel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll bet right wing media is gonna side step from this dudes manifesto.

They should own up to the fact that they helped to shape this nut's mind.

Oh, they're happy they shaped this nuts mind. It's the end goal and what they relish. Most won't own up to that so overtly. However, they might speak about it in coded ways.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
Conservatives and moderates these are your people. This is your guy. Yall wanted to normalise this? Free speech for all, including nazis? Let them talk so the world can see them? Don't deplatform?

This is what everyone was warning about. This is no surprise it happened. It had to happen with how right wing ideology gets nurtured and protected.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, it's not that extreme. These people are happy about terrorism. Encourage and engage in hate 24/7. Support actions like this and try to recruit others to their cause through innocuous memes via social media/youtube until they slowly convert others to their views. They're future criminals as far as I'm concerned and a step away from doing something like this themselves. They're monsters. Something should be done about these people and how far-right wing extremism spreads online. But law enforcement doesn't understand the issue and a lot of the internet doesn't care/cares enough to call a response to this extremism extremism in return.

Arresting someone for posting on a site is not that extreme?

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
IMXNr1B.png

At least Swedish media are calling it a terrorist attack, just like it is. Shame on the media that don't.

ioriyagami

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sorry I have to get this out my chest.
FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK the media for not calling this a terrorist attack. I won't be surprised that in week the terrorist will be the victim of something. Fucking hypocrites.

So, to be fair, all the reports I have read have labeled this a terrorist attack, since that is how NZ's prime minister has called it. Any news outlet not calling this terrorism will immediately be added to my black list of news sites.