• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
That hurts to watch. I really wish there was something more I could do...

Same. This whole thing hurts, makes me feel helpless and angry.

You're a good person for wanting to do something. I know that doesn't make you feel better because, unfortunately, the truth is that there probably isn't anything you can do (not directly at least).

But people like you wind up doing something good for someone, somewhere down the road, which helps make the world a little bit better place, and that is an encouraging thought. All is not lost.

Feb 1, 2018
they seem to love to post up articles along the lines of "where did it go so wrong!" rather than focusing on the victims.

Exactly. It's the product of a centuries-old eurocentric racist logic that white people are more "human" and psychologically "complex" and thus their actions should be attempted to be analyzed and understood versus a POC who commits the same actions will get labeled as barbaric, an invader, cant-integrate-with-society, terrorist, uncivilized, etc. There is no "how did this innocent little boy grow up to do this?" victimization crap going on.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
I think it's time for feds and police the world over to take more interest in the Chan image board sites. I'm not against seeing them forcefully shut down and harrangued out of existence actually. That someone could so callously and dispassionately dispense this level of indiscriminate cruelty - while yucking up memes and shitposter rhetoric at the wheel of his car before and afterwards is just absolutely galling. I considered myself against the death penalty, but more and more I don't see what benefit it is to society to let something like this continue to breathe our air. We put down animals for less and this isn't even the behaviour of an animal, it's a monster at work. He returned again and again to his victims to ensure they were dead and chased nearby people who tried to flee and begged for help. I agree with not giving the guy and his ilk the platform they want, but the cold facts of the attack are harrowing and something I hope politicians in particular are not shielding themselves from. A number of UK MPs are deeply concerned about getting the video of the attack taken down but I'd much rather they go after the fucking sick fucks cheering this on and who in one way or another encouraged and fostered the mindset of this guy. The nauseating hand wringing over his past and psychoanalysis that the media will undoubtedly engage in is a waste of air too. He is another mentally unstable loser that failed to learn how to just live and let live and live a happy life. As murderers, serial killers and terrorists go, dime a fucking dozen. If they want to keep him in prison, they should make one out of his fucking body, let him live the rest of his days unable to speak or move.

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
r2reERl.jpg

Can we put to bed once and for all the debate on whether the OK sign is now a white supremacist symbol? Because it fucking is.

I'm fucking livid!

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
do they execute people in New Zealand? I hope he gets the death penalty. What a fucking scum, he is showing no regrets in that pic

Thurston Last

Banned
Jul 26, 2018
r2reERl.jpg

Can we put to bed once and for all the debate on whether the OK sign is now a white supremacist symbol? Because it fucking is.

Of course it is. But not every single instance is meant that way. Many people are unaware of that connection and use it just to mean OK as it has meant for who knows how long. That does not automatically make them white supremacists as I have seen argued.

This guy, of course, is scum and there is no question what he means by it.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
r2reERl.jpg

We've been saying it for a long time now, but, people just want to give the benefit of the doubt to White people that may have the "racist" label thrown at them, the horror! It's clear as day why people do this. Might be the one time we don't get a defender, but, I'm prepared to be sad.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
r2reERl.jpg

You mean that symbol he's making with his hands?

I thought that meant "fucking delicious." Like I've literally only seen people do that when trying to describe their food while their mouth is already full.

Interesting to find out it has this other sinister use.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017

I thought that meant "fucking delicious." Like I've literally only seen people do that when trying to describe their food while their mouth is already full.

It means 'okay' or 'great' or 'delicious' when raised in the air.

The gesture with the hand pointing down was a silly game we'd play in school where you'd try to trick people into seeing it. Like Pepe the frog it has been coopted by white supremacists.

Oct 25, 2017
r2reERl.jpg

In my country growing up I remember that being the gay sign, people did that to quietly signal that someone was gay. Watching malcom in the middle I found out that it was also part of a game that you got hit if you saw it.

I guess what Im trying to say its that something can mean different things depending on the context and this sign when its used by people like the one in the photo is definitely a white supremacist symbol.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Wait.

That sign I do all the time... since here it more a child's game where if you look at it you get punched... put your finger in the hole you can punch me twice and if I catch your finger in the hole I hit you three times.

Sexy Fish

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wait.

That sign I do all the time... since here it more a child's game where if you look at it you get punched... put your finger in the hole you can punch me twice and if I catch your finger in the hole I hit you three times.
Yeah, most people will associate with the circle game and not white power bullshit. But its definitely easy to tell based on how shit of a person they are.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
r2reERl.jpg

maybe he was playing a game to punch your dick huuuuuurrrr

EDIT: Oh god people are unironically doing it already. Reappropriation, in MY white nationalist symbolism?? It's more likely than you think!

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

It means OK.

As I understand it, the story goes that alt right types decided to own the libs by saying the OK sign was a symbol of white supremacy, thus making said libs look stupid when they got upset whenever they saw someone using it.

They then proceeded to use it in that context to the point that it took off among white supremacists.

Now the OK sign is used by some as an actual symbol of white supremacy. Whatever trolling was inherent in the usage has fallen away.

edit: Yup.

Last edited:

Thurston Last

Banned
Jul 26, 2018
Yeah, most people will associate with the circle game and not white power bullshit. But its definitely easy to tell based on how shit of a person they are.

Yeah context is important. I have seen some people argue that using the ok sign emoji means you support white supremacy, which I find silly. But in many cases it is blantatly a white power symbol.

May 30, 2018
Everytime a white Supremacists throws out the OK symbol we get a discussion of if it's supremacist

Unreal

At this point you'd have to be willfully ignorant to not know what they say with it

You can argue all you want about "not letting them co-opt that symbol" but that's Besides the point

They intentionally picked the OK sign because it's subtle enough and widespread enough that they can hide when called out for it

They want discussion to derail from the main issue at hand

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
edit: nvm apparent i was correct

Last edited:

Water

The Retro Archivist
Oct 30, 2017
r2reERl.jpg

Edit: I fucked up - I'm way off on this. I apologize. I had never heard of this symbol being used other reasons until today. I meant no disrespect and should of done some research before making my original post.

Last edited:

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
"I can tell you one thing right now. Our gun laws will change." - Jacinda Ardern

Thank you Jacinda. A stark contrast to the tired "thoughts and prayers" and "now is not the time to talk politics" deflection of US politicians and commentators.

As an American, it is refreshing to see a proper governmental response to a tragedy like this.