• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

malik180

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Can we extradite this guy to the United States and put him in a prison that will rough him up? I doubt New Zealand prison system are that rough.
Why spend resources on this guy. He is hopeless . He had a smile walking into the court today. Feed a starving child in Africa rather than him.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Wish we could just shoot 1 bullet at him for every victim he wounded and killed .

Such a waste of money and time to keep this idiot still breathing .

If I was a cop I would find it hard not to just put a bullet into him "accidentally"

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Can we extradite this guy to the United States and put him in a prison that will rough him up? I doubt New Zealand prison system are that rough.

In the US? With Trump as president? My friend do you know understand white nationalist have a strong hold in US Jails? This guy would be praised and put in some protective ward in the US. If you really want him to get ravaged, you need to send him to the Middle East and have him live there surrounded in a cell with Muslims living a better life than him for the rest of his life.

-Devious-

Oct 25, 2017
We must not allow this narrative about a "lone wolf" to gain any credibility since it is done by design by white supremacist groups. It removes any sort of culpability from any one specific group or the entire white power movement in general. These are terrorist. Any talk about this being a lone wolf counts as a small victory to the white supremacist movement.

On the importance of leaderless resistance to the domestic terrorism that began in the 1980s.

Leaderless resistance, first of all, made it less important to recruit large numbers of people — because now the movement was focused on smaller, totally committed activists, rather than turning out a bunch of weekend activists for a rally. It made it really important for the activists to have enough in common culturally to understand their shared goals, and that's another place where the narrative of the Vietnam War became very important to them. And it also made it very difficult to prosecute white power violence or to understand it as a social movement, because its actions could be more readily understood and dismissed in both courts and in media portrayals as the acts of one, or a few individuals.

On the myth of the "lone wolf" terrorist — for example, Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh

Portraying the Oklahoma City bombing particularly as the work of one, or a few actors worked to totally erase what the country had understood about white power violence before that event. One of the misconceptions is that Timothy McVeigh acted alone or with a few conspirators. But McVeigh — a simple social geography of Timothy McVeigh shows that he was involved in this movement for years before the bombing. So this points to a motivated and ideologically framed attack.

What seems new and alarming in our current moment is not new. These events were covered in the front pages of national newspapers, on morning news magazine shows, and yet, somehow we lost the understanding of this movement, such that the altercation in Charlottesville can seem astonishing to people without this history.

https://www.npr.org/2018/04/22/6043...one-wolf-terrorists-are-really-part-of-a-pack

Deleted member 36543

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 20, 2017
If I were involved in a mosque anywhere in the US right now I'd be pushing heavily for having a private security staff around anytime there are worshippers present.
Yup this is the only and most realistic solution right now. Eventually there will come a day when western media and governments start doing something about white youth radicalizing online on white supremecist themed social platforms. Eventually they will be forced to but the question is when. This is only the beginning. It's going to get worst and worst so it's best to have a chance against these terrorist.

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
As the father of young daughter my heart bleeds for him and his kids. I'd rather take 100 bullets in my body than have a single one touch my daughter. This is pure evil.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man i missed out on when this went down while serving a ban.

It's jawdropping to me that this guy lives in a complete meme-y world and thinks everything is for the lulz. Never seen this much amount of wanton nihilism. Anders Brevik and others were die-hard, serious Nazi soldiers. This guy is just a bad 4chan post come to life. It's like real life modern Joker. Even that A-OK symbol in the courtroom. God.

Inna lillahi wa inna ilaihi raajioun.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Man i missed out on when this went down while serving a ban.

It's jawdropping to me that this guy lives in a complete meme-y world and thinks everything is for the lulz. Never seen this much amount of wanton nihilism. Anders Brevik and others were die-hard, serious Nazi soldiers. This guy is just a bad 4chan post come to life. It's like real life modern Joker. Even that A-OK symbol in the courtroom. God.

Inna lillahi wa inna ilaihi raajioun.

Except you're wrong. This guy is a die hard Nazi soldier. His world view as explained in his manifesto is almost identical to Brievek's. He's just coated his lingo with memes and internet edginess. Don't fall for his games which are meant to make you think he thinks this was all a joke. This is what Nazis do now. They are still Nazis.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

What's the point of this? It won't bring people back. It won't make people feel better. It's a misguided sense of 'justice' that is really just spiteful revenge. It does nothing. No, these people should rot in prison for the rest of their lives. They should have time to understand the concept and scope of their crimes and what they've taken away from the world.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Been following this story through radio and have seen the tweets here and there.
You can't make this shit up. Instead of tweeting about the event, Orange Rot is threatening American citizens with force from the military and armed bikers.

Then the shit he goes on to say later about white supremacy and how it's not a problem.

When does rioting in the streets happen? How does it happen? How does tarring and feathering initiate?

If we don't impeach this mother fucker the cynicism toward government will be impossible to recover from for decades.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I want to give advice to anyone out there that hasn't seen the video and gets sent a link to see it.....
Dont do it. Don't fucking watch it. Don't. Just don't.

I would assume most people wouldn't anyway but I didn't hear about this until the afternoon rolled around and it was the video someone sent me. I didn't know what I was getting into. I cried. I just feel broken for those poor people. This world....WTF is happening?

Last edited:

RustyNails

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Except you're wrong. This guy is a die hard Nazi soldier. His world view as explained in his manifesto is almost identical to Brievek's. He's just coated his lingo with memes and internet edginess. Don't fall for his games which are meant to make you think he thinks this was all a joke. This is what Nazis do now. They are still Nazis.
You're right he is just as evil and dedicated to the supremacist ideology. But what I mean is his behavior is completely ridiculous. Even his last 8chan post is like "OK LADS ITS BEEN AN HONOR TIME TO GO KILL INVADERS TOP KEK LUL" bullshit.

Oct 25, 2017
THE UNSPEAKABLE carnage in New Zealand must be called out by its proper name: a terrorist attack by a white-nationalist bigot consumed by Islamophobia and impelled by the fervid extremism that suffuses the Internet's darkest crevices.

The alleged gunman's garden-variety racism — his rantings about the peril posed to whites faced with "replacement" by Muslims — is of a piece with other hatreds espoused by other racist killers in other places and times. That he spent his days slinking through online cesspools and communing with like-minded social networks gives his crime a postmodern gloss.

But the forces that animated him, as evidenced by his inflamed manifesto — ignorance, intolerance, bloodthirsty tribalism — are ancient. The Internet and social media did not invent or refine evil; they just made it accessible on demand, in all its banal and lurid manifestations. As for the suspect's evident wish to instigate discord and sow divisions — he wrote that he wanted to "incite violence, retaliation and further divide" and hoped that by carrying out his massacre with a firearm he would add fuel to the United States' gun debate — he's a little late.

Still, it's critical that world leaders clearly and precisely denounce this ghoulish act. An attack on mosques, as on any place of worship, is especially sinister and dangerous. Online racists lionized the murderer as a hero and cheered his killing spree as he streamed it live. In fact, he is a monster who slaughtered innocent people — parents and children, the old and the young.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...73568c-475b-11e9-aaf8-4512a6fe3439_story.html

Oct 25, 2017
Researchers have warned tech companies for years that online extremism and radicalization results in real-world violence. On Friday, those warnings appeared prophetic again when a shooter with a history of social-media radicalism entered two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, and killed 49 people.

An online manifesto apparently connected to the accused shooter listed a variety of online influences related to the crime, including "the internet" itself.

"Much like a lot of researchers and journalists on this beat, I'm yo-yo-ing between hopeless and furious," said Becca Lewis, a researcher with the technology research nonprofit Data + Society. "It's not gratifying to be right in this situation."

Researchers told NBC News that they had raised concerns about online extremism both in conversations and in published research papers, but said their warnings and ideas to help prevent online radicalization have been largely ignored. Lewis published a report in September that detailed how YouTube influencers and far-right extremists gamed YouTube's algorithm to push radicalization messages and turn a profit.

Lewis and other online extremism researchers are now hoping the shooting could be a wake-up call to companies like Facebook and YouTube, which they hope will be more transparent and proactive in scuttling white supremacist and extremist content.
Lewis said, however, that she is not particularly optimistic.

"Where I get pessimistic about it is that these problems didn't start with the tech companies," Lewis said. "They've just been very profitable for them."
Facebook and YouTube did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The emergence of internet-native extremism is a relatively recent phenomenon, predated by real-world extremism that created initial problems for tech companies such as Google, which dedicated significant resources to eliminating ISIS propaganda.

Phillips said that the most toxic parts of the internet grew out of a digital culture of trolling that had at one time seemed mischievous but mostly innocuous. That changed dramatically in the past several years, as memes and provocateurs on social media began to pervade both pop culture and politics. Millions of dollars were poured into propping up meme-based political content and advertisements, both from U.S. political campaigns and lobbying organizations as well as shadowy foreign influence campaigns seeking to sow division and amp up racist rhetoric.

What emerged was "a soup of toxicity online" that maintained a veneer of innocence, Phillips said.
"A lot of the stuff that passed as fun, the media manipulation strategies that were part of 'fun trolling' in the early days, a lot of that established a behavioral blueprint and also created a kind of umbrella that people could hide under," Phillips said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-n...xtremism-researchers-hopeless-furious-n983941

boredandlazy

Oct 27, 2017
Australia

Ryan Mac @RMac18

Reddit banned two controversial groups that shared imagery of violent death and gore on Friday after users kept sharing videos of the Christchurch shooting. Critics had no idea why the groups were ever allowed in the first place. https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ryanmac/reddit-bans-groups-death-gore-new-zealand-massacre-video …

7:13 PM - Mar 15, 2019

Jon Passantino @passantino

Murdoch's Sky News Australia has been taken off the air in New Zealand after it broadcast the mosque shooter's disturbing video of the attack

7:14 PM - Mar 15, 2019

Sky News Australia is pretty much Fox News America. Scum channel.

Based0ne

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I remember waking up today and seeing a Facebook post talking about a shooting. I thought to myself, great another shooting in the US but low and behold I find out that this happened in NZ of all places. Regardless of that it didn't stop me from thinking the next thing "how many people died?" When I saw the body count, my heart sunk and I've been pretty upset all day.

49 people lost their lives with the potential for more lives to be lost due to some monster thinking this is what needed to be done to keep the white race going. I honestly don't get it and the fact that this is expected by other people who think this way is absolutely terrifying. What does this accomplish in their mind? Why go so far as to kill innocent people who are harmless/defenseless? This terrorist attack has me in pure disbelief and I don't even know what to think right now.

I'm devastated that people think this way and think that the solution towards their "righteous cause" is to off innocent people. Why why why?

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
I don't get how people can casually talk about the video. I haven't seen it but I've read descriptions and I couldn't help but break down in tears all day.

I learned that there are only 46000 Muslims in New Zealand or about 1% of the population. This monster killed more than 1/1000 of the country's muslim population. No words.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get how people can casually talk about the video. I haven't seen it but I've read descriptions and I couldn't help but break down in tears all day.

Yeah it autoplayed in my Twitter yesterday and I don't understand how you could possibly analyze it or watch or more than once, and this was just a very short clip. People were talking about some 15 minute shit in here and I don't understand how you could even do that to yourself. Leave that to the people who have to do it. All I can say is at the very least I hope that fucker is put in solitary for the rest of his life with no possible way to off himself.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a little suspect when I see people who say they watched it and act surprised it shows people getting shot.

What did you think? Some folks probably accidentally saw it I know but some of the innocence seems a bit feined when you straight up looked for it.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can we please fucking ban guns world wide and invest in stopping the black market for it?

No permits, nothing. This shit is too dangerous for people.

And extremist sites need to be nuked out of the internet. De-platform that poison.

Oct 25, 2017
It would be unfair to blame the internet for this. Motives are complex, lives are complicated, and we don't yet know all the details about the shooting. Anti-Muslim violence is not an online phenomenon, and white nationalist hatred long predates 4Chan and Reddit.

But we do know that the design of internet platforms can create and reinforce extremist beliefs. Their recommendation algorithms often steer users toward edgier content, a loop that results in more time spent on the app, and more advertising revenue for the company. Their hate speech policies are weakly enforced. And their practices for removing graphic videos — like the ones that circulated on social media for hours after the Christchurch shooting, despite the companies' attempts to remove them — are inconsistent at best.

We also know that many recent acts of offline violence bear the internet's imprint. Robert Bowers, the man charged with killing 11 people and wounding six others at the Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh, was a frequent user of Gab, a social media platform beloved by extremists. Cesar Sayoc, the man charged with sending explosives to prominent critics of President Trump last year, was immersed in a cesspool of right-wing Facebook and Twitter memes.

People used to conceive of "online extremism" as distinct from the extremism that took form in the physical world. If anything, the racism and bigotry on internet message boards felt a little less dangerous than the prospect of Ku Klux Klan marches or skinhead rallies.

Now, online extremism is just regular extremism on steroids. There is no offline equivalent of the experience of being algorithmically nudged toward a more strident version of your existing beliefs, or having an invisible hand steer you from gaming videos to neo-Nazism. The internet is now the place where the seeds of extremism are planted and watered, where platform incentives guide creators toward the ideological poles, and where people with hateful and violent beliefs can find and feed off one another.

So the pattern continues. People become fluent in the culture of online extremism, they make and consume edgy memes, they cluster and harden. And once in a while, one of them erupts.

In the coming days, we should attempt to find meaning in the lives of the victims of the Christchurch attack, and not glorify the attention-grabbing tactics of the gunman. We should also address the specific horror of anti-Muslim violence.

At the same time, we need to understand and address the poisonous pipeline of extremism that has emerged over the past several years, whose ultimate effects are impossible to quantify but clearly far too big to ignore. It's not going away, and it's not particularly getting better. We will feel it for years to come.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/15/technology/facebook-youtube-christchurch-shooting.html

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Hopefully this thread is an appropriate place to ask about this, but I can fuck off if not; this has made me think about my kid brother a little bit though and I now feel like I should take the responsibility of talking to him about white supremacy and how it appears to be organizing and consuming young men through the internet. Now I don't have any super obvious reasons to be alarmed about my brother yet; he just turned 15 today and I've never heard him say an outwardly racist thing in his life. But that said, he reminds me a lot of myself, and to be quite honest, I was kind of an ignorant fuckhead at his age. I was reserved, spent almost all my time online, spent a lot of time of 4chan and other message boards, and I spewed a lot of really awful shit in the "privacy" of my internet life. My brother, at least in terms of being pretty quiet and internet-addicted, is similar. Luckily I turned my shit around when I had a series of really eye-opening, perspective changing conversations and experiences early in college, but that shit was chance. I could have easily said "Eh this is stupid" and never went to this talk where I listened to an immigrant woman break down in tears over the great inequalities she had experienced in her life, for example. I don't want to leave my brother's perspective of the world around him up to chance.

That said, last month out of the blue he asked me at dinner "Bro, you subscribed to PewDiePie?? You gotta subscribe bro".

I guess my actual question is: does anyone have any good resources for having discussions about white supremacist culture with a teenager/young adult? I'm not exactly the most well spoken or persuasive person to be quite honest. And I know that I can't just say to him "Dude, PewDiePie and his fan base enabled a culture that fed into that shooting. At very best he's a white supremacist sympathizer from the fact alone that he can't condemn on clear terms that white supremacy is bad and has no place in a modern society" despite that basically being how I feel, because I know he'll just shut down and refuse to engage in the conversation with me. I just want it to be productive, and would love some tools to help me do that.

Anyway this whole thing has made me sick. I'm sending all my best wishes to the survivors, the families of those involved, and any out there who tonight are terrified to freely worship. I feel hopeless, but this is perhaps one of the few things I do have control over.

Last edited:

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sigh, I start talking about this today and my brother remarks "it's nobodies fault, it was just some crazy memelord, nobody on YouTube or twitter forced him to do it."

Unfortunately I'm betting that his is not a unique opinion.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a little suspect when I see people who say they watched it and act surprised it shows people getting shot.

What did you think? Some folks probably accidentally saw it I know but some of the innocence seems a bit feined when you straight up looked for it.

It was plastered all over Twitter yesterday under top 10 trending tags. But yeah I've seen people in here saying it was sent to them and it's like who the fuck would send you that and shouldn't you question why they are downloading that and sharing it?

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
sigh, I start talking about this today and my brother remarks "it's nobodies fault, it was just some crazy memelord, nobody on YouTube or twitter forced him to do it."

Unfortunately I'm betting that his is not a unique opinion.
Ask him if he thought that about a killer radicalized online by ISIS' social media presence.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It was plastered all over Twitter yesterday under top 10 trending tags. But yeah I've seen people in here saying it was sent to them and it's like who the fuck would send you that and shouldn't you question why they are downloading that and sharing it?
Someone said there mom sent it to them and they were shocked how violent it was and I was like "really?"

Although to be fair I could see a mom sending a video without watching it.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully this thread is an appropriate place to ask about this, but I can fuck off if not; this has made me think about my kid brother a little bit though and I now feel like I should take the responsibility of talking to him about white supremacy and how it appears to be organizing and consuming young men through the internet. Now I don't have any super obvious reasons to be alarmed about my brother yet; he just turned 15 today and I've never heard him say an outwardly racist thing in his life. But that said, he reminds me a lot of myself, and to be quite honest, I was kind of an ignorant fuckhead at his age to be honest. I was reserved, spent almost all my time online, spent a lot of time of 4chan and other message boards, and I spewed a lot of really awful shit in the "privacy" of my internet life. My brother, at least in terms of being pretty quiet and internet-addicted, is similar. Luckily I turned my shit around when I had a series of really eye-opening, perspective changing conversations and experiences early in college, but that shit was chance. I could have easily said "Eh this is stupid" and never went to this talk where I listened to an immigrant woman break down in tears over the great inequalities she had experienced in her life, for example. I don't want to leave my brother's perspective of the world around him up to chance.

That said, last month out of the blue he asked me at dinner "Bro, you subscribed to PewDiePie?? You gotta subscribe bro".

I guess my actual question is: does anyone have any good resources for having discussions about white supremacist culture with a teenager/young adult? I'm not exactly the most well spoken or persuasive person to be quite honest. And I know that I can't just say to him "Dude, PewDiePie and his fan base enabled a culture that fed into that shooting. At very best he's a white supremacist sympathizer from the fact alone that he can't condemn on clear terms that white supremacy is bad and has no place in a modern society" despite that basically being how I feel, because I know he'll just shut down and refuse to engage in the conversation with me. I just want it to be productive, and would love some tools to help me do that.

Anyway this whole thing has made me sick. I'm sending all my best wishes to the survivors, the families of those involved, and any out there who tonight are terrified to freely worship. I feel hopeless, but this is perhaps one of the few things I do have control over.

Yeah have that talk, I'm gonna do it with my younger bro (again) for similar reasons, and probably even a cousin in law who is doing similar questionable things probably in part to his trump supporter father.

People say this gen z is trending liberal but anecdotally I don't really buy it.

ncsoft

Dec 11, 2017
People say this gen z is trending liberal but anecdotally I don't really buy it.

People say a lot of things about Gen Z, mostly that they turn conservative, actually.
I think there isn't a narrative to be said about this generation, life experiences are so vastly different from one individual to another that it's really hard to define a generation with a few key characteristics. Not in this day and age.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This terrorist attack is just gutwrenching. I can't imagine what the community of christchurch is going through right now. RIP to the victims and I hope the worst for the perpetrators and the 8chan community.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Everything about this shooting is beyond fucked up, and in New Zealand of all places, just goes to show that this can happen pretty much anywhere these days as long as radicalism is allowed to flourish under the pretense of being free speech.

The big worry here is that we don't know the extent of the problem with white surpremacists like the person who committed the shooting and the seemingly very similar Anders Breivik, this could easily get a whole lot worse due to the power of the internet.

That Australian news anchor said it best, we cannot pretend that we are shocked that this event happened, the writing has been on the wall for a long time now and terrorism committed by white men motivated by a hate of forgeiners have only increased. This is happening everywhere in the west in different capacities and attacks like this and Utøya could happen where we least expect it.

Lemmi

Dec 10, 2018
This terrorist attack is just gutwrenching. I can't imagine what the community of christchurch is going through right now. RIP to the victims and I hope the worst for the perpetrators and the 8chan community.
I live in Christchurch and this is the last thing our city needed. This is a city still rebuilding from the 2011 earthquakes which brought widespread fear and anxiety. This is just awful beyond words. I'm still having trouble believing it all.