• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I live in Christchurch and this is the last thing our city needed. This is a city still rebuilding from the 2011 earthquakes which brought widespread fear and anxiety. This is just awful beyond words. I'm still having trouble believing it all.
I read about that. Just awful :(

Oct 29, 2017
Everything about this shooting is beyond fucked up, and in New Zealand of all places, just goes to show that this can happen pretty much anywhere these days as long as radicalism is allowed to flourish under the pretense of being free speech.

The big worry here is that we don't know the extent of the problem with white surpremacists like the person who committed the shooting and the seemingly very similar Anders Breivik, this could easily get a whole lot worse due to the power of the internet.

That Australian news anchor said it best, we cannot pretend that we are shocked that this event happened, the writing has been on the wall for a long time now and terrorism committed by white men motivated by a hate of forgeiners have only increased. This is happening everywhere in the west in different capacities and attacks like this and Utøya could happen where we least expect it.

Here in the UK, Newspaper propaganda to this has been outstanding this all.

Only a matter of time this was gonna happen and it's only a matter of time until there's a reaction to this, someone somewhere will try and seek 'revenge' this is how it works theses days.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get how people can casually talk about the video. I haven't seen it but I've read descriptions and I couldn't help but break down in tears all day.

I learned that there are only 46000 Muslims in New Zealand or about 1% of the population. This monster killed more than 1/1000 of the country's muslim population. No words.

Is that true? Crazy that this piece of shit viewed 1% of the population as "invaders" threatening to his way of life... and it wasn't even his native country.

Gen X

Oct 31, 2017
New Zealand
I've only read the OP and this last page, too much to go through to see if this had been posted but two of the suspects have been confirmed to not be affiated with attack. One person had a gun on them to try and retrieve their child from school and the other was wearing full camo gear to pick up his brother in law from a high school. The latter was charged with disorderly behavior due to his camo gear.

I'll try and find the links.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Just left the vigil at Aotea Square where the attorney general announced that semi-automatic weapons will be banned in NZ. That's a good start. I appreciated the calls to be vigilant and for the public to call out any forms of racism. Golriz Ghahraman and Phil Goff's speeches received a lot of support.

Ha damn I live close from there. I would have gone had I known. Good to hear about semi-automatic guns though.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Unfortunately it's not the case for my younger brother, he deflects all blame Pewdiepie gets on the news trying to get clicks and feminism; he has watched (unsure if he continues to, I don't see him subscribed) Ben Shapiro and likes him because he "owns the libs" and is an intellectual. He constantly says the N and homophobic F word around me when he's home from school (will be tonight, yay) and I presume around his friends' because in his words, and I'm paraphrasing, "I have black/gay friends in college and they say I can say it, none of my black roommates from Africa care that I say it nor my gay friends, always with you feminists/liberals getting triggered over everything and changing the meaning of words to suit your argument."
*arguing in the car about disproportionate incarceration of minorities, paraphrasing* "Well the stats say 90% (or some crazy statistic) of Blacks in prison today are criminals! You think they would lie about that!? That the Black people in prison didn't land their way their due to violent crime?!"
Other thought-provoking shit he says:
"Climate change exists but not because of fossil fuels but due to extreme temperatures fluxuations in the Earth every couple thousand years."
"I don't hate gay people, I just don't believe they should marry, but if they do (say a friend of his) don't invite me."
"Transgenders are men in women's clothing."
He has a friend that claims gays are a byproduct of sexual abuse and that's why they are gay.
Supports Donald Trump and he can't be wrong ever because he's rich, along with most of his friend group, some even threw a doploraball party and went to the Trump rally three hours away in Duluth, MN as well, in my guess, start shit with the protesters, film it and frame it around "Antifa" violence. I have no proof of this one but considering these were the ones that had a deploraball party, I wouldn't be surprised.

He's 20, too far gone, grew up going to a school that was all right-wing Bush/Romney/Trump-supporting individuals, parents' of classmates voted for Supreme Court and ridding Roe v Wade and tax breaks. Brother watches Pewdiepie and a lot of workout youtubers that I don't know much about but peddle supplements, watches Logan Paul and had watched Syndicate I believe. He's a lost cause and I'm done getting into it with him because all he does is gaslight the conversation and has a pompous, arrogant 20 year old attitude where he staunchly believes everything he says is right and will be hard-presses to change his mind.
I'm tired of getting into yelling matches with him over this shit.

Jan 10, 2018
Everything about this shooting is beyond fucked up, and in New Zealand of all places, just goes to show that this can happen pretty much anywhere these days as long as radicalism is allowed to flourish under the pretense of being free speech.

The big worry here is that we don't know the extent of the problem with white surpremacists like the person who committed the shooting and the seemingly very similar Anders Breivik, this could easily get a whole lot worse due to the power of the internet.

That Australian news anchor said it best, we cannot pretend that we are shocked that this event happened, the writing has been on the wall for a long time now and terrorism committed by white men motivated by a hate of forgeiners have only increased. This is happening everywhere in the west in different capacities and attacks like this and Utøya could happen where we least expect it.

There are hundreds of Nazis in the german and austrian Intelligence community, military and police, cooperating, threatening journalists, artists and lawyers and preparing for day x.

Would be the biggest scandal in Europe if it would be islamists. Gets barely attention cause whiteness works.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
All I can muster when I read the right wing spin on this tragedy is just "fuck you".

Fuck these people. Just fuck these motherfuckers to hell.

Deleted member 40102

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
So sad my heart and prayers goes to those impacted.

Thank you left wing for standing with us in the heat of hate from other parties. I'm growing more and more toward left wing I never thought I would say this ,but I truly believe they have pure morals and good heart.

Gen X

Oct 31, 2017
New Zealand
I've only read the OP and this last page, too much to go through to see if this had been posted but two of the suspects have been confirmed to not be affiated with attack. One person had a gun on them to try and retrieve their child from school and the other was wearing full camo gear to pick up his brother in law from a high school. The latter was charged with disorderly behavior due to his camo gear.

I'll try and find the links.
Links

Parent with firearm
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-...caught-with-firearm-on-school-run-police.html

Camo guy
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-...-seeking-compensation-over-arrest-report.html

Oligarchenemy

Oct 25, 2017
sigh, I start talking about this today and my brother remarks "it's nobodies fault, it was just some crazy memelord, nobody on YouTube or twitter forced him to do it."

Unfortunately I'm betting that his is not a unique opinion.

It's not. I saw lots of people on Twitter saying "It was just memes, he would have done this anyways regardless"

The dude was conditioned through social media. White supremacists are using the same recruiting tactics as ISIS, and the alt-light (Shapiro, Peterson, signal boosters like PDP and Rogan) are gateways to extremism.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Of all the people to go after for this I admit that's not a choice I would've picked

But I do agree folks should be apologizing to Omar.

I dont think she should be attacked but people are understandably still upset with her due to the whole Ilhan Omar thing. Her showing up to vigils is just not a good look for her right now.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I dont think she should be attacked but people are understandably still upset with her due to the whole Ilhan Omar thing. Her showing up to vigils is just not a good look for her right now.
The fuck is wrong with you? Her showing up to vigils isnt ok?

Understandably still upset? Look I think what she said was dumb but Im not gonna say she shouldnt attend vigils and that ir makes sense that people are attacking her over it

amoy

Oct 28, 2017
Dude only got charged with a single murder? Right out of the gate, every death should be on him, no?

Also, fuck this, what's the deal with assholes and fascination with gore? Co-worker approached me yesterday to show the mass shooting videos.

Worst yet, he approached another co-worker, polar opposite of me, meek female 20something, fuck off exposing this crap around.

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately it's not the case for my younger brother, he deflects all blame Pewdiepie gets on the news trying to get clicks and feminism; he has watched (unsure if he continues to, I don't see him subscribed) Ben Shapiro and likes him because he "owns the libs" and is an intellectual. He constantly says the N and homophobic F word around me when he's home from school (will be tonight, yay) and I presume around his friends' because in his words, and I'm paraphrasing, "I have black/gay friends in college and they say I can say it, none of my black roommates from Africa care that I say it nor my gay friends, always with you feminists/liberals getting triggered over everything and changing the meaning of words to suit your argument."
*arguing in the car about disproportionate incarceration of minorities, paraphrasing* "Well the stats say 90% (or some crazy statistic) of Blacks in prison today are criminals! You think they would lie about that!? That the Black people in prison didn't land their way their due to violent crime?!"
Other thought-provoking shit he says:
"Climate change exists but not because of fossil fuels but due to extreme temperatures fluxuations in the Earth every couple thousand years."
"I don't hate gay people, I just don't believe they should marry, but if they do (say a friend of his) don't invite me."
"Transgenders are men in women's clothing."
He has a friend that claims gays are a byproduct of sexual abuse and that's why they are gay.
Supports Donald Trump and he can't be wrong ever because he's rich, along with most of his friend group, some even threw a doploraball party and went to the Trump rally three hours away in Duluth, MN as well, in my guess, start shit with the protesters, film it and frame it around "Antifa" violence. I have no proof of this one but considering these were the ones that had a deploraball party, I wouldn't be surprised.

He's 20, too far gone, grew up going to a school that was all right-wing Bush/Romney/Trump-supporting individuals, parents' of classmates voted for Supreme Court and ridding Roe v Wade and tax breaks. Brother watches Pewdiepie and a lot of workout youtubers that I don't know much about but peddle supplements, watches Logan Paul and had watched Syndicate I believe. He's a lost cause and I'm done getting into it with him because all he does is gaslight the conversation and has a pompous, arrogant 20 year old attitude where he staunchly believes everything he says is right and will be hard-presses to change his mind.
I'm tired of getting into yelling matches with him over this shit.

Interesting you and your sibling are far removed in outlook. What is it that led you down different paths?

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it autoplayed in my Twitter yesterday and I don't understand how you could possibly analyze it or watch or more than once, and this was just a very short clip. People were talking about some 15 minute shit in here and I don't understand how you could even do that to yourself. Leave that to the people who have to do it. All I can say is at the very least I hope that fucker is put in solitary for the rest of his life with no possible way to off himself.

I stumbled across a video of an Al Qaeda beheading video when I was around 20. It's burned in to my consciousness. Admittedly, you sort of become more numb to the horror eventually. Also, there's also the morbid thought that seeing this might help you prepare yourself if you ever found yourself in such a situation. That in no way means I think people should go watch that video. It was awful and quite frankly, I don't think anyone could be truly prepared for what happened there. It's called a slaughter for a reason.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
The fuck is wrong with you? Her showing up to vigils isnt ok?

Understandably still upset? Look I think what she said was dumb but Im not gonna say she shouldnt attend vigils and that ir makes sense that people are attacking her over it

I already said I dont agree with her being attacked and the rhetoric that she's responsible for this tragedy is plain ridiculous. But I'm not looking for her solidarity now either. The same right wing people that inspired this attack used her misguided comments to launch a bad faith smear campaign on one of our own just last week. I wouldn't want to see Pelosi and some of these other Dems there either.

They're free to do what they want at the end of the day. Just dont be surprised if people are unhappy with them being there.

Deleted member 40102

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Dude only got charged with a single murder? Right out of the gate, every death should be on him, no?

Also, fuck this, what's the deal with assholes and fascination with gore? Co-worker approached me yesterday to show the mass shooting videos.

Worst yet, he approached another co-worker, polar opposite of me, meek female 20something, fuck off exposing this crap around.
That's fucked... like how the hell do you approach people about this and spreading the gore phootage and not sound hateful pig ?

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017

That's an HR approachable offense if you ask me.

Depths

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Today I have learned and seen more things about this shithead than I ever should have. The dude is pure evil, which is a concept I never believed in before. But after what I've seen I don't know another way to describe him.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
This entire event is crushing. My heart goes out to New Zealand. The people there are incredibly inviting from my experience when visiting a couple years ago, and Christchurch was an interesting city to visit. They're still recovering from the earthquakes in 2010/2011 as well, and learning about how the community came together during that tragedy was incredible.

has this been posted?

That was quick! Kiwi's aren't messing around.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
has this been posted?

Good. There really is no need for them.

Also I am super disappointed in all these media outlets showing the weapons and the names/slogans the douchebag wrote all over them, while simultaneously explaining them. They are contributing and even distributing the narrative he wants to portray. The same cold, calculated and self-absorbed narrative Breivik was trying to promote. It is like handing out a business card or promotional flyer to some extremists.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People say a lot of things about Gen Z, mostly that they turn conservative, actually.
I think there isn't a narrative to be said about this generation, life experiences are so vastly different from one individual to another that it's really hard to define a generation with a few key characteristics. Not in this day and age.

Right it's totally anecdotal but most of the 25-35 year olds I know, basically all of them white, are pretty liberal and I guess at worst tolerant so to say. A lot of the sub 25 white people I talk to in any amount of detail seem to be outright trump fans or buy into some kind of weird European heritage garbage.

And then people on this board say it's just jokes and memes and trolling, don't worry about it. Yeah I don't buy that. They are getting that shit from somewhere and they are at their most impressionable. They aren't going to just flip a switch and become liberal Dems. You're pretty much where you're at at 18-25 typically.

Last edited: