• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NutterB

Oct 27, 2017
As a muslim, this news and the various [hate filled] reactions online messed me up pretty bad today. Could not focus at work and ended up leaving early.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a muslim, this news and the various [hate filled] reactions online messed me up pretty bad today. Could not focus at work and ended up leaving early.
Yeah, get offline for a while, and do some jogging. That's my advice.

It got me so angry yesterday. I still am, but that time off from social media etc did me good.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
has this been posted?

giphy.gif

Fantastic news.

Deleted member 23908

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Don't let the hate get to you bro, if you do they win. Just keep living your life normally and do your best to show the people around you that being a muslim is nothing like what all the haters try to make it out to be.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are you comparing Pewdiepie to ISIS? That's a bit of a stretch.

He's firmly in the alt-right camp, and yes the alt-right is pretty much as bad as ISIS. Show me a list of successful ISIS attacks outside of the middle east vs alt-right inspired terrorist attacks/mass shootings. The alt-right has been pretty fucking successful at indoctrinating terrorists into action and it's intentional. Pdp makes hateful content about black people, Jews, and Muslims all the time. It's really not a stretch.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I feel you man and I'm a white 30 yr old agnostic man. I don't understand how my colleagues are just laughing and shit at work every day. It's hard for me to not just get completely political at work every day. Take the weekend if you have it and talk to people close to you.

Deleted member 1698

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right it's totally anecdotal but most of the 25-35 year olds I know, basically all of them white, are pretty liberal and I guess at worst tolerant so to say. A lot of the sub 25 white people I talk to in any amount of detail seem to be outright trump fans or buy into some kind of weird European heritage garbage.

And then people on this board say it's just jokes and memes and trolling, don't worry about it. Yeah I don't buy that. They are getting that shit from somewhere and they are at their most impressionable. They aren't going to just flip a switch and become liberal Dems. You're pretty much where you're at at 18-25 typically.

I disagree. When you are 18-25 you are, myself included, a fucking moron. I was right wing too and hated the idea that someone would get something for free that I was working my ass off to get. I also had trouble relating to people and hated hearing about the environment.

The difference was I didn't have the internet. So if I went out in the real world and acted like a real moron I would get (quite rightly) punched in the mouth. Time went by, life happened (watch a loved one die slowly from cancer and then we'll see how fun memes are), I learned compassion and I'm now about as left as can be.

We can't really slap people remotely so this all comes down to leadership. Leadership from the top level (ie nz right now and not fucking both sides america or hypocritical australia), leadership from influencers (like a simple, "don't be a white supremacist" and leadership from every one of us to go out and vote, and generally help each other out and have everyone's back.

This is why the whole pdp thing is so infuriating. He either needs to step up or have his platform fired into the fucking sun. And don't get me started on Trump or Morrison.

For my part I don't believe in any religion but I'll love any muslim or otherwise like a brother. No matter how fucked up the world gets, know that you are welcome in my home.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I disagree. When you are 18-25 you are, myself included, a fucking moron. I was right wing too and hated the idea that someone would get something for free that I was working my ass off to get. I also had trouble relating to people and hated hearing about the environment.

The difference was I didn't have the internet. So if I went out in the real world and acted like a real moron I would get (quite rightly) punched in the mouth. Time went by, life happened, I learned compassion and I'm now about as left as can be.

We can't really slap people remotely so this all comes down to leadership. Leadership from the top level (ie nz right now and not fucking both sides america or hypocritical australia), leadership from influencers (like a simple, "don't be a white supremacist" and leadership from every one of us to go out and vote, and generally help each other out and have everyone's back.

This is why the whole pdp thing is so infuriating. He either needs to step up or have his platform fired into the fucking sun. And don't get me started on Trump or Morrison.

For my part I don't believe in any religion but I'll love any muslim or otherwise like a brother. No matter how fucked up the world gets, know that you are welcome in my home.

But that's the thing, we grew up before a completely toxic internet culture was really in full swing, and now even in public its acceptable for these shit heels to just yell fake news at you and ignore any criticism from you. I had a 37 year old fucking colleague do this to me at a work function baseball game. That's where we're at.

Deleted member 1698

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But that's the thing, we grew up before a completely toxic internet culture was really in full swing, and now even in public its acceptable for these shit heels to just yell fake news at you and ignore any criticism from you. I had a 37 year old fucking colleague do this to me at a work function baseball game. That's where we're at.

I agree, I was just saying it doesn't need to be that way.

You are not set to where you are at 18-25. But unless we have leadership people will no longer pull their head out of their asses.

I mean just imagine Murdoch tomorrow says "nope this shit has gone too far, no more racist fox, we are turning this around". The world would improve overnight. He won't of course, but he could.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
Sadly, he's passed away. Fucking hero.
Perhaps he was talking about the guy at the second mosque who wrestled a gun away from the dickhead shooter, but was unable to do much because he didn't know how to actually fire the gun. He's alive and has been giving interviews. He also likely prevented many deaths at that second mosque.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017

Sorry you have to navigate through such hatred. It fills me with disgust to know that there's so much Islamophobia and hatred in the world.

treble

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would really appreciate a threadmarked update with a current information summation. It's an important thread and should be updated at this length.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017

Exius

Banned
Jan 15, 2019
He's firmly in the alt-right camp, and yes the alt-right is pretty much as bad as ISIS. Show me a list of successful ISIS attacks outside of the middle east vs alt-right inspired terrorist attacks/mass shootings. The alt-right has been pretty fucking successful at indoctrinating terrorists into action and it's intentional. Pdp makes hateful content about black people, Jews, and Muslims all the time. It's really not a stretch.

Not sure why the terrorist attacks in the middle east need to be left out of the equation. Seems like a forced false equivalence if you are purposely leaving out the worst things ISIS does.

ISIS litterally posts beheading videos on a regular basis. Im not defending Pewdiepie or his content but trying to equate him to an active terror organization just seems like a bad argument to me.

rezn0r

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps he was talking about the guy at the second mosque who wrestled a gun away from the dickhead shooter, but was unable to do much because he didn't know how to actually fire the gun. He's alive and has been giving interviews. He also likely prevented many deaths at that second mosque.

Anyone have any more info on this guy? He sounds awesome.

If the main source is the terrorist piece of shit's own recorded video, oh well. I'm not watching that. I was in to Ogrish 20 years ago. I'm all set with such crap now.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Just saw Trump saying the terrorists were a "small group of people with serious problems"

It truly is uncanny.

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree. When you are 18-25 you are, myself included, a fucking moron..

The only thing I've learnt as I've got older is that as a species Humanity never listens or learns from its mistakes.

Also, social media, twitter in particular needs more stringent legal controls, if not outright banning.

The intent of this individual was to divide and conquer, and that's precisely what he's done and continues to do.

Deleted member 1698

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I've learnt as I've got older is that as a species Humanity never listens or learns from its mistakes.

Also, social media, twitter in particular needs more stringent legal controls, if not outright banning.

The intent of this individual was to divide and conquer, and that's precisely what he's done and continues to do.

Australia recently legalised same sex marriage and the conservative government in power lost an unloseable bi-election primarily on human rights and climate change issues.

I get what you are saying, but humanity is not lost.

Lugia

Oct 27, 2017
This is terrifying and scary. As a muslim, these type of stories are the reason why I started to shy away from Americans in general. I know this is not right, but I can't help it. I started to live in a bubble with my arab friends, which is not what I intended when I first came here. I can't wait to graduate and go back to my country. I might be overreacting sorry, but this is just depressing

I pray for the victims and their families. Muslims in Western countries be careful please.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
This is terrifying and scary. As a muslim, these type of stories are the reason why I started to shy away from Americans in general. I know this is not right, but I can't help it.

I understand where you're coming from, but don't let a handful of crazies influence your opinion on the greater whole of people.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
This is terrifying and scary. As a muslim, these type of stories are the reason why I started to shy away from Americans in general. I know this is not right, but I can't help it. I started to live in a bubble with my arab friends, which is not what I intended when I first came here. I can't wait to graduate and go back to my country. I might be overreacting sorry, but this is just depressing

I pray for the victims and their families. Muslims in Western countries be careful please.
I know exactly how you feel. People say these are simply isolated incidents and to not let them win, but walking around daily with fear over your head is so stressful. Especially when you see the casual apathy and hatred on social media. This stuff feels like it's becoming more common.

Lugia

Oct 27, 2017
I understand where you're coming from, but don't let a handful of crazies influence your opinion on the greater whole of people.
Of course. When you keep hearing these stories about islamphobia it happens subconsciously. I love my experience here in America and I met amazing people. I haven't had bad experiences personally. I will try and get out of this bubble, and not let this get to me.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Of course. When you keep hearing these stories about islamphobia it happens subconsciously. I love my experience here in America and I met amazing people. I haven't had bad experiences personally. I will try and get out of this bubble, and not let this get to me.

Good man. I know it is a hard time for you personally and emotionally, but concentrate on the great parts and you will pull through. I am an Australian myself and I am ashamed to have such a vile person come from my country do such a heinous act, especially to people who were themselves just trying to make a better life.

Matrix XII

Oct 27, 2017
This white supremacist terrorist attack is sickening, appalling and heartbreaking. I barely slept last night and I couldn't focus at all today just thinking and trying to process this disaster. I can't fathom what the families of these poor people are going through and the rest of NZ too. White supremacy is an epidemic and this is the result of constant hateful rhetoric (Trump) and cesspools like 8chan going unchecked among other forms of radicalization of white males. There's just so much hate in the world, I find it hard to comprehend. I'm proud of the NZ folk rallying around the victims families and those affected.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Uh, I guess I should stay away from Twitter because every time I read about Christchurch I always see tweets from this fucking alt-right, assadite bimbo (I'd used another word, but I would catch a ban for it) who use this tragedy to spread her agenda about Syrian Civil War. Fuck her.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
It's tiring to see these fake people in the media and politics acting like they care about Muslims.
Yep. The Australian government and a good deal of politicians are pretty high up this pyramid. Basically, just below calls for violence:

Bullshit the perpetrators of currently government policy and political discourse care. They just care that it's politically effective to care, or political suicide not to care.