• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Major props to how NZ is handling this. They are impressing the hell out of me.
New Zealand has always been the cool, modern and progressive cousin of racist, bigoted Australia. I'm just surprised that their gun control laws have been so lax and complacent for so long despite warnings from their police and what's happened in Australia.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Visa canceled: https://minister.homeaffairs.gov.au/davidcoleman/Pages/STATEMENT-ON-MILO-YIANOPPOLOUS.aspx
operasnapshot_2019-032ik5w.png

Context:

Bevan Shields @BevanShields

BREAKING: The Morrison government is considering a ban on Milo Yiannopoulos after he responded to the New Zealand massacre by describing Islam as a "barbaric" and "alien" religious culture.

This would be the third position in as many weeks.https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/morrison-government-considers-milo-yiannopoulos-ban-in-wake-of-christchurch-massacre-20190316-p514ri.html … #auspol

11:15 PM - Mar 15, 2019

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand has always been the cool, modern and progressive cousin of racist, bigoted Australia. I'm just surprised that their gun control laws have been so lax and complacent for so long despite warnings from their police and what's happened in Australia.
As another poster pointed out, NZ is more isolated from their closest neighbor, Australia, than most would suspect.

They look close to each other on a flat map, but the shortest distance between NZ and AUS is 1056 miles.

For frame of reference, Los Angeles and NYC is 2449 miles apart from each other.

Here's an illustration of how far away AUS and NZ are from each other, overlaid on the USA:

zEj7FkR.png

I think they just felt far removed from the world's problems.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Has this been posted? That idiot senator from Qld getting egged at a press conference and hitting a minor...

I get the natural instict to hit back when something like this happens to you, but as a politician you should know better than this. Let alone slapping a young kid on the face and then continue the pursuit when he steps back. Curious how the case goes, I think the kid has a decent shot at winning going by the footage. The egging might give him a slap on the wrist, but the continued pursuit and headlocking after the initial reaction should put him in the clear I figure.

Nevermind, Todd was faster.

Last edited:

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
And the fucking cowards choking and holding the kid down.

edit - corrected by toddhunter in re to my initial post

Last edited:

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Visa canceled: https://minister.homeaffairs.gov.au/davidcoleman/Pages/STATEMENT-ON-MILO-YIANOPPOLOUS.aspx
operasnapshot_2019-032ik5w.png

Context:

Bevan Shields @BevanShields

BREAKING: The Morrison government is considering a ban on Milo Yiannopoulos after he responded to the New Zealand massacre by describing Islam as a "barbaric" and "alien" religious culture.

This would be the third position in as many weeks.https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/morrison-government-considers-milo-yiannopoulos-ban-in-wake-of-christchurch-massacre-20190316-p514ri.html … #auspol

11:15 PM - Mar 15, 2019

I knew this would happen.

The only question is how long they pause demonising muslims for votes. A day? Two days? It will not be fucking long.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
RIP to all victims. I lost my cousin in 13th November terrorist attack in France and I can imagine the pain to the living people. And it didn't made me an antimuslim, I am anti extremism. But I am a french black guy with part of my family christian, other Muslim and atheist.

Oct 25, 2017
You americans need to egg a couple of your politicians
The only question is how long they pause demonising muslims for votes. A day? Two days? It will not be fucking long.
Pretty ridiculous to see the oz liberal party act like they love their muslim brothers all of a sudden. Racist fucks fed the fire that led to this and now they're washing their hands.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
I knew this would happen.

The minister personally intervened to give Milo a visa following backlash from right wing politicians after the Department of Immigration recommended that he be denied entry. That says more than enough.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
We don't need Milo here, it is the rhetoric he spews that incites this kind of behavior and aggression in the first place. That and he is a pedophile enabler.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
Places need to be more pro-active about banning known vocal shitheels from spreading their garbage about. It's good they canceled his visa, but he shouldn't have been allowed one to begin with.
You americans need to egg a couple of your politicians
With the police state we have that would be at least an attempted murder charge; probably instant execution if a black guy like me attempted such. It's a good dream though.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. Hard to believe something like this could even happen, coming from the US.

What power does the gun lobby in NZ have? Does it even exist? What gun-owning culture exists there? There are hundreds of millions of firearms in circulation in the U.S.

The path might be the same in both cases but one is much easier to accomplish.

Oct 25, 2017
Hull, England
Nov 14, 2017
This isn't a productive way of looking at the world. Both states are founded on Anglo-supremacist settler colonialism. The current government is only in power due to a coalition with a right nationalist group. Jordan Peterson toured NZ less than a month ago and took a happy snap with a fan wearing a shirt emblazoned "I'm a proud Islamaphobe". The NZ police have had plenty of time for wiretapping LGBT rights activists but apparently not much for monitoring online fascists. An attitude of deliberate ignorance towards hate crimes and bigoted sentiment is longstanding and pervasive.

I'd say the idea that New Zealand has historically been more progressive than Australia on a number of issues is true. They are both some of the most egalitarian states on the globe currently. But that doesn't mean that they're perfect or even good for a large number of their citizens (not to mention the developing world), either institutionally or culturally. I don't mean to single you out, because this sort of progressive medal tally thinking is quite common. But not only is it an inaccurate way of viewing things, it's often counterproductive and even dangerous.

Tamati Hemi

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
New Zealand
I was just at the memorial that was set up on Linwood Ave in Christchurch. Shit I got cut up when I seen a very young kids drawing with "I love you Mum" written on it placed amongst the flowers

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
What power does the gun lobby in NZ have? Does it even exist? What gun-owning culture exists there? There are hundreds of millions of firearms in circulation in the U.S.

The path might be the same in both cases but one is much easier to accomplish.
I'd say we have a hunting and pest shooting culture more than a gun owning one, as we have a large number of introduced pests with no natural predators which destroy our environment and kill our native animals. So while a lot of people own guns, they're not fanatics. They own bolt action rifles and shotguns, not semi-automatics and pistols. Not to say those people don't exist but they're a small minority. I'm sure we have a gun lobby but there's zero chance they'll do anything, all that would do is lead to them getting shit on from all sides and turn the public against them. We aren't the US, we aren't just going to move on and pretend it never happened. The Pike River Mine disaster occurred in 2010 and it's still in the public consciousness almost a decade later.

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Someone said there mom sent it to them and they were shocked how violent it was and I was like "really?"

Although to be fair I could see a mom sending a video without watching it.

That's me. To offer more context:

I stopped following the news (Years ago I think?) because I noticed the news having a negative impact on me. I had no idea about the attack when my mother sent me the video. She was trying to inform me and showed me the video to 'be careful'. She didn't talk a lot about the content and I have seen violent videos before. I expected something similar. The video really did surprise me. It's after I watched it that I searched the news and found this thread.

Ensirius

Oct 26, 2017
RIP to all victims. I lost my cousin in 13th November terrorist attack in France and I can imagine the pain to the living people. And it didn't made me an antimuslim, I am anti extremism. But I am a french black guy with part of my family christian, other Muslim and atheist.
Sorry for your loss friend.
You definitely took the right path.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

:(
Dude only got charged with a single murder? Right out of the gate, every death should be on him, no?

Also, fuck this, what's the deal with assholes and fascination with gore? Co-worker approached me yesterday to show the mass shooting videos.

Worst yet, he approached another co-worker, polar opposite of me, meek female 20something, fuck off exposing this crap around.

I got that video through WhatsApp three fucking times and each time I asked them what is wrong with them.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't a productive way of looking at the world. Both states are founded on Anglo-supremacist settler colonialism. The current government is only in power due to a coalition with a right nationalist group. Jordan Peterson toured NZ less than a month ago and took a happy snap with a fan wearing a shirt emblazoned "I'm a proud Islamaphobe". The NZ police have had plenty of time for wiretapping LGBT rights activists but apparently not much for monitoring online fascists. An attitude of deliberate ignorance towards hate crimes and bigoted sentiment is longstanding and pervasive.

I'd say the idea that New Zealand has historically been more progressive than Australia on a number of issues is true. They are both some of the most egalitarian states on the globe currently. But that doesn't mean that they're perfect or even good for a large number of their citizens (not to mention the developing world), either institutionally or culturally. I don't mean to single you out, because this sort of progressive medal tally thinking is quite common. But not only is it an inaccurate way of viewing things, it's often counterproductive and even dangerous.
Well I didn't say they were perfect, but they tend towards having a lot more progressive policies than Australia.

Readler

Oct 6, 2018
Has this been posted? That idiot senator from Qld getting egged at a press conference and hitting a minor...

Fuck that piece of shit.

And fuck his fucking chav melons, too.

Jesus fucking Christ I saw this earlier on reddit and for some reason it's made me super fucking angry.

I mean just look at these cowards

D1wHChGUgAISaDy.jpg:large

Yeah what's wrong with that? Who needs semi automatic weapons?
Right? I had the gun control argument countless times, but what do you need (semi) auto weapons for?

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana

Damn... this hits me so hard. And there's 49 other tragic stories out there of these innocent loved ones inexplicably lost. And that's who we must focus on in the coming days/weeks. Not the pathetic cretins in custody. Fuck them and their bullshit beliefs.

And fuck all these transparently white nationalist-friendly publications for trying to humanize that filth

JustJavi

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Fuck that piece of shit.

And fuck his fucking chav melons, too.

Jesus fucking Christ I saw this earlier on reddit and for some reason it's made me super fucking angry.

I mean just look at these cowards

D1wHChGUgAISaDy.jpg:large

Right? I had the gun control argument countless times, but what do you need (semi) auto weapons for?

One of the guys holding the kid is Neil Erikson. Google him to see what kind of people this senator attracts.

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
What a bunch of heroes! It took 10 grown ass men to "neutralize" a lone kid that threw an egg on their fucking white supremacist fuhrer. I hope the kid sue them to hell.