• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
That's an important discussion in that PBS clip. Thanks for linking that, bangai-o.
She has a few academic articles and and a book. I skimmed through the book and it is offering the origins of white power movement beginning after the Vietnam War. If I didnt have my own homework that I need to be working on, I would read more.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0,44&q=kathleen+belew&btnG=
A person who follows 1 Abrahamic religion calling another Abrahamic religion "barbaric" is interesting.

I am sure the Crusades were just angelic folks being guided by God, but those nasty muslims always take by force!
Here is a snip about that topic in her text.

capture1omkkr.png

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh God that video in Trump's latest tweet is...woof.

Scary music, stattic, black and white footage. Wow.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Do not request links to the video footage. You will be banned.

Update 4:

Update 2:

MOD EDIT:

NZ Herald is talking about multiple gunmen and shootings at at least two different mosques:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12213056

---

Guy has shot up is currently shooting up a mosque

Official Staff Communication
Please try and stick to official news outlets for this story. Do not link to sites like 8chan or post videos. Thanks.

Casually toll has risen to 50 dead, 50 injured. What a disgusting event.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Just a word of advice guys... Don't bother talking about NeoGAF. It's run by shit heels and in other instances similar to this thread, mods have damn near banned people for talking about it. It's not worth the momentary catharsis you'll get from sharing in bitching about it here.

Always wondered what the Neo before gaf was meant for. Now we know.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thankfully it wasn't one of the injured passing away. Police found a previously undiscovered body at the scenes of the massacres.
That means there were additional victims.

I understand what you're trying to say, but I'd rather have 49 dead and 50 injured turn into 50 dead and 49 injured, rather than have 1 more dead body to uncover (50 dead, 50 injured)

It's 99-100 too much either way :(

Plum

May 31, 2018
50. Fucking hell...

I dread to think that there's still many victims out there that we don't know about yet.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
I honestly see no hope for Humanity other than another world war at this point either we win or them, we kept saying the regressive sick fucks will die out, but they're breeding and the ones doing the mass killings are in their 20's, social media, Twitter, Facebook, Youtube are allowing supremacist bullshit to spread and perpetuate instead of fizzling and dying out like it would've before the digital age, and I don't see any the world moving towards policing the internet when we get dumbasses like Trump, Bolsonaro and the idiots in power in Italy elected.

element252

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
True, but you'd expect there to be some semblance of humanity, atleast for the victims, some as young as three. I guess not though.... I've seen progressives get banned for far far less.....

There are people arguing back and forth, but that site or at least the political discussion threads are heavily skewed towards the right. But some are calling out the people who are making excuses for a mass murdering piece of shit. I seen a few refuse to discuss politics because they say that is what the psycho wanted.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Archived most recent press conference:

New Zealand Police

Sadly, Police can confirm this morning that during the scene examination of the Deans Avenue Mosque yesterday, the body of a further victim was found. The death toll now stands at 50.
36 people remain in hospital in Canterbury District, being treated for injuries. Eleven of those are in a critical condition. In addition, the four-year-old child transported to Starship Hospital in Auckland yesterday remains in a critical condition.
Public safety remains the Police's priority nationally, and particularly in Christchurch following the tragic events on Friday.
Police ask that people return to their daily lives, but also, be vigilant. If you "see something, say something".
If you have information which may help the investigation into the Christchurch attacks, please use the online form available at www.police.govt.nz
The online form is not an emergency channel - if you see anything suspicious or need urgent help, please ring 111 immediately.
Mosque update:
Mosques are welcome to open their doors if they choose to do so. Police will continue to maintain a presence at all Mosques across New Zealand.
Mosque scene update:
Police are continuing the scene examinations of Al Noor Mosque on Deans Avenue and Masjid Mosque on Linwood Avenue today.
Identification of victims:
Police is working closely and extensively with partners to identify the injured and deceased victims of the Christchurch attack.
This is detailed and complex work that must be completed thoroughly.
The victims have been removed from both Mosques. This means that victim identification work can progress.
A range of activities must be completed before names can be released publicly. This includes next of kin notifications, which, in many cases, will have international aspects to them.
Police understands the religious duty of the Islamic faith to bury the deceased as soon as possible, and is working closely with the Chief Coroner to do everything possible to expedite the process.
Arrests and outcomes:
In addition to the 28-year-old man who appeared in court yesterday, two people were arrested after the attacks and held in custody. At this stage there is no indication that they are connected to the attacks.
One of those people has been charged with a separate offence and remanded in custody.
The other has been released.
I can also confirm that due to evidence collected during the investigation we have taken another person into custody.
There is no information to suggest this person is linked to the attacks.
Enquiries are ongoing in relation to this person and we will update you when we are able.
Dunedin:
The search of a property in Somerville Street, Dunedin, has now completed.
A number of items of interest were located however no items that would present harm to members of the public were discovered.
Those nearby residents who were evacuated overnight have been able to return to their homes and Police thank them for their cooperation.
A Police scene guard will remain in place at the property.
- Police Commissioner Mike Bush

The other 3 arrested during the shooting don't appear to be involved: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/...-50-attack-mosque-n984066?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma
Three other people were also arrested after the shooting, but Bush said "at this point we do not believe that they were involved in these attacks."

One woman was released without charges, and a man, who was in possession of a gun, has been charged with firearm offenses, according to Bush. They are not believed to have been involved in the attack, Bush said.

An 18-year-old man also was arrested and will appear in court, Bush said, but added that the arrest was "tangentially related" and the man was not believed to have been involved with the shooting.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Archived most recent press conference:

New Zealand Police

Sadly, Police can confirm this morning that during the scene examination of the Deans Avenue Mosque yesterday, the body of a further victim was found. The death toll now stands at 50.
36 people remain in hospital in Canterbury District, being treated for injuries. Eleven of those are in a critical condition. In addition, the four-year-old child transported to Starship Hospital in Auckland yesterday remains in a critical condition.
Public safety remains the Police's priority nationally, and particularly in Christchurch following the tragic events on Friday.
Police ask that people return to their daily lives, but also, be vigilant. If you "see something, say something".
If you have information which may help the investigation into the Christchurch attacks, please use the online form available at www.police.govt.nz
The online form is not an emergency channel - if you see anything suspicious or need urgent help, please ring 111 immediately.
Mosque update:
Mosques are welcome to open their doors if they choose to do so. Police will continue to maintain a presence at all Mosques across New Zealand.
Mosque scene update:
Police are continuing the scene examinations of Al Noor Mosque on Deans Avenue and Masjid Mosque on Linwood Avenue today.
Identification of victims:
Police is working closely and extensively with partners to identify the injured and deceased victims of the Christchurch attack.
This is detailed and complex work that must be completed thoroughly.
The victims have been removed from both Mosques. This means that victim identification work can progress.
A range of activities must be completed before names can be released publicly. This includes next of kin notifications, which, in many cases, will have international aspects to them.
Police understands the religious duty of the Islamic faith to bury the deceased as soon as possible, and is working closely with the Chief Coroner to do everything possible to expedite the process.
Arrests and outcomes:
In addition to the 28-year-old man who appeared in court yesterday, two people were arrested after the attacks and held in custody. At this stage there is no indication that they are connected to the attacks.
One of those people has been charged with a separate offence and remanded in custody.
The other has been released.
I can also confirm that due to evidence collected during the investigation we have taken another person into custody.
There is no information to suggest this person is linked to the attacks.
Enquiries are ongoing in relation to this person and we will update you when we are able.
Dunedin:
The search of a property in Somerville Street, Dunedin, has now completed.
A number of items of interest were located however no items that would present harm to members of the public were discovered.
Those nearby residents who were evacuated overnight have been able to return to their homes and Police thank them for their cooperation.
A Police scene guard will remain in place at the property.
- Police Commissioner Mike Bush

The other 3 arrested during the shooting don't appear to be involved: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/...-50-attack-mosque-n984066?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

how can you be 'tangentially related'? like you joined the cause in the moment?

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
At times like this we must remember we have each other.

I love you guys and would never want to see anthing bad happen.

I do believe those who spread fake news and cause people like this to exist should be prosecuted

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
I honestly see no hope for Humanity other than another world war at this point either we win or them, we kept saying the regressive sick fucks will die out, but they're breeding and the ones doing the mass killings are in their 20's, social media, Twitter, Facebook, Youtube are allowing supremacist bullshit to spread and perpetuate instead of fizzling and dying out like it would've before the digital age, and I don't see any the world moving towards policing the internet when we get dumbasses like Trump, Bolsonaro and the idiots in power in Italy elected.

"Free Speech" purist morons and their cowardice have basically fucked us. We badly need heavy regulation for this shit, but people would rather do nothing and let people die. "It can't be helped" or "It's better than the government fucking up" or "It's a slippery slope".

Well, thanks to those assholes White Nationalism and Fascism is on the rise around the world, because we've willingly given these fucksticks a voice instead of doing the right thing and shutting them down.

The chans all need to be deleted. Twitter, Facebook, and Youtube need to have a purging and harsh moderation. Fox News needs to be taken off the air.

Sadly, nothing significant will happen and this bullshit Nazi movement is going to grow. No one is doing *shit*. The United States is entrenched in white supremacy, fosters it, and exports it. It's not just a horrific ideology, it's a fucking Product and its audience is growing and putting people like Trump in power.

It's not going to stop and the things that need to be shut down aren't going to be shut down. This shit is just going to get worse.

Because "my free speech".

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"Free Speech" purist morons and their cowardice have basically fucked us. We badly need heavy regulation for this shit, but people would rather do nothing and let people die. "It can't be helped" or "It's better than the government fucking up" or "It's a slippery slope".

Well, thanks to those assholes White Nationalism and Fascism is on the rise around the world, because we've willingly given these fucksticks a voice instead of doing the right thing and shutting them down.

The chans all need to be deleted. Twitter, Facebook, and Youtube need to have a purging and harsh moderation. Fox News needs to be taken off the air.

Sadly, nothing significant will happen and this bullshit Nazi movement is going to grow. No one is doing *shit*. The United States is entrenched in white supremacy, fosters it, and exports it. It's not just a horrific ideology, it's a fucking Product and its audience is growing and putting people like Trump in power.

It's not going to stop and the things that need to be shut down aren't going to be shut down. This shit is just going to get worse.

Because "my free speech".

That's the micro viewpoint. The macro is that overall, things have gotten better very slowly over time. We're experiencing a dip in progress for sure, but we will continue to march forward.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
At times like this we must remember we have each other.

I love you guys and would never want to see anthing bad happen.

I do believe those who spread fake news and cause people like this to exist should be prosecuted

This is a good post. We need to all get more comfortable spreading love and goodness to each other.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
That's the micro viewpoint. The macro is that overall, things have gotten better very slowly over time. We're experiencing a dip in progress for sure, but we will continue to march forward.

No they haven't. Not in this context. Nazism has been rising hard and it's going to spread more. Never before has Fascism and White Supremacy had such easy to use platforms with so much reach. This isn't just some "dip" and nothing has been done about it, nothing is being done about it, and nothing will be done about it, because tech companies are making money off of it.

We've never had anything like Youtube in the past. Youtube is *not* getting better and it purposely spreads far-right bullshit due to how their algorithms work and the people running it support this. Same with Facebook, Twitter, etc. All of these platforms clearly have people who are okay with how things are and push it forward. They're not pushing progress forward, they're pushing Nazis forward.

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Progress is neither linear nor guaranteed. This event can either be a severely late wake-up call in addressing white supremacy and white violence in all areas of society or just another tragedy.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Relived nothing happened at any St. Patrick's Day parades...for sure thought some shithit would try and stir something up.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
Reposting this one as well:
https://www.gofundme.com/new-zealand-christchurch-mosque-shooting
It's for the dead baby's family. He was the youngest one of the 50.

Question to moderation: Would we be allowed to make a dedicated fundraising thread that includes all of the links?

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No they haven't. Not in this context. Nazism has been rising hard and it's going to spread more. Never before has Fascism and White Supremacy had such easy to use platforms with so much reach. This isn't just some "dip" and nothing has been done about it, nothing is being done about it, and nothing will be done about it, because tech companies are making money off of it.

We've never had anything like Youtube in the past. Youtube is *not* getting better and it purposely spreads far-right bullshit due to how their algorithms work and the people running it support this. Same with Facebook, Twitter, etc. All of these platforms clearly have people who are okay with how things are and push it forward. They're not pushing progress forward, they're pushing Nazis forward.

Again, that's a very micro viewpoint. You also have very progressive corners of the internet like this that help people make proper sense of the world.

I'm not advocating we do nothing because all is well. But as a 40 year old, I can say unequivocally that the world is a far more liberal place than it was 20 years ago. As it was 20 years before that. And so on. It will never be perfect. There will always be setbacks. There will always be major challenges. But don't think for a second that the larger trajectory of humanity is not less violent and more progressive. Because human history will prove you very wrong.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Updates from latest Jacinda Ardern conference:

- 50 killed, 34 remain in Christchurch hospital, 12 in critical condition, a 4 year old girl remains in critical condition in Starship hospital
- Bodies of deceased are starting to be returned to families
- Informal list of missing persons has been released, reiterates this is an informal list and does not confirm whether a deceased person has been formally identified
- All bodies anticipated to be returned to families by Wednesday
- Primary suspect is remanded in custody until April 5, he is likely to face further charges
- No indication that the other two arrested on Friday were connected with the attacks
- One other person has been taken into custody as part of the invistigation, no indication that they are connected to the attacks at this stage

- Increased police presence in Christchurch will continue (currently 120 additional staff)
- Mosques will have police presence as the investigation continues
- Ministry of Health providing support to school students in Christchurch with staff being brought in, as well as around the country
- National Crisis Management Centre in Wellington is coordinating organisation of support for victims and families
- ACC increased staff presence in Christchurch for immediate welfare concerns, with eligibility for funeral grants and one-off support payments to family members (eg childcare), income compensation
- Ministry of Social Development helping with immediate needs eg. food payments and ongoing needs eg. benefit support

- Cabinet meets tomorrow to have preliminary discussions around gun and security policy
- MPs to pay tribute on Tuesday in Parliament
- Official national commemoration services being organised, condolence books available at Parliament and National Library

Questions
- Charges and trial of the primary suspect will take place in New Zealand
- Cannot say whether charges will be laid under the Terrorism Suppression Act
- Over 30 recipients received the suspect's manifesto 9 minutes before the attack, it did not provide any actionable details. Jacinda herself received the manifesto, but not directly - it went immediately to Parliamentary Security
- Reiterates that there will be changes to gun laws
- Primary suspect was in custody within 36 minutes of 111 emergency calls being made
- Turkish government has expressed interest in sending a delegation to commemorate the event
- Highlights the issue of social media platforms to spread extremism
- When asked about the comments of Australian Senator Fraser Anning, she says "They were a disgrace. Any other questions?"

Hats off to Jacinda, she has the patient of a saint after having to answer some of the dumbest questions I've ever heard from the media. Who gives a fuck whether Mark Zuckerberg has sent his condolences or not!?

Last edited:

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017

I don't think that's that bad? That's the time of arrest, not the time the police responded.

Granted, it would've been better had the attack been prevented in the first place, but I'm actually surprised at that response time, given the circumstances.

Last edited: