• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Big Milestone reached: https://www.canalys.com/newsroom/me...ty-headset-shipments-top-1-million-first-time

Virtual reality headset shipments are showing no signs of slowing, as the quarterly total exceeded 1 million units for the first time in Q3 2017. Sony took the lead, shipping more than 490,000 PlayStation VR (PS VR) sets in Q3. It was followed by Oculus, which shipped 210,000 of its Rift headsets. HTC took third place, shipping 160,000 Vive VR units. Collectively, Sony, Oculus and HTC made up 86% of the total market in Q3 2017.

This obviously doesn't count mobile VR, where Cardboard shipped 5 million units a year ago. Still, what an accomplishment for a nascent industry.

Akauser

Oct 28, 2017
London
Fantastic I think recently theres has been a big pish with prices really coming down. I thinks great and a really unique experience. All I want now is that AnywhereVR type app integrated into every game so I can recieve phone messages during VR.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic I think recently theres has been a big pish with prices really coming down. I thinks great and a really unique experience. All I want now is that AnywhereVR type app integrated into every game so I can recieve phone messages during VR.

You can do this with the Vive, but nobody does.

Deleted member 9971

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Will get psvr next year somewhere when it's that perfect 199,99 price. It probably was this friday but i have other things to spend money on or save for.

Anyway great news vr excites me and i can't wait to try it out sometime next year finally!

ABIC

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
VR is alive. It just isn't growing as fast as everyone thought it would be.

I'm also not sure what to think about PSVR doing the best out of everyone right now. It's weird that Facebook bought Oculus for US$2b but it's underperforming PSVR right now, and significantly so. The future of VR is way bigger than just games or even entertainment.

Sony needs to figure out how to spin out PSVR into its own VR division eventually, or sell it off.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
After playing PSVR at conventions I think #199 is my sweet spot for it. So hopefully by next holiday season I'll jump in. The software just isn't there for me. I really only want Resident Evil VII and then I'll check out a few other quirky games

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
I love vr and Skyrim has easily been my most played be game. My fear is a reality though as vr does take you away from real world more so than anything else I've played, even mmos. As someone with a family it's just harder for me to put the goggles on.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't PSVR show up in one of the data for best selling products online from Adobe Analytics? It's been seriously selling a ton lately.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Will get psvr next year somewhere when it's that perfect 199,99 price. It probably was this friday but i have other things to spend money on or save for.

Anyway great news vr excites me and i can't wait to try it out sometime next year finally!
Tried to bite at 250 but it wasn't meant to be. Can't wait til it becomes more affordable

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
I'm hoping this will mean more big games for VR.
Seems like Skyrim has been fairly big for PSVR.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping this will mean more big games for VR.
Seems like Skyrim has been fairly big for PSVR.

I kinda expect Budget Cuts to be the first really big, brand new VR-only IP to be highly anticipated and widely covered. I say this simply because the original Budget Cuts demo was like peaking a full 2 years into the future, that I think the team has a real shot to have a Tomb Raider/Mario 64 type moment for the medium.

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
It's weird that Facebook bought Oculus for US$2b but it's underperforming PSVR right now, and significantly so.

Someone with a gaming rig with (hopefully) at least a GTX 1070-level GPU and a desire to mount cameras in corners, buy and route active USB extensions, fiddle with USB cards/controllers and driver issues, etc., is pretty much always going to be a smaller audience than your average console owner. With that said, you might want to keep in mind that Oculus tech isn't confined to just the Rift. Plus, you kind of explained the reasoning behind FB's Oculus acquisition with your very next sentence:

The future of VR is way bigger than just games or even entertainment.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
I kinda expect Budget Cuts to be the first really big, brand new VR-only IP to be highly anticipated and widely covered. I say this simply because the original Budget Cuts demo was like peaking a full 2 years into the future, that I think the team has a real shot to have a Tomb Raider/Mario 64 type moment for the medium.
They were invited to Valve at some point.
Are they still working on their own thing?
Seems like the P0rtal universe could transfer over neatly to Budget Cut's framework.

Buddy

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
VR's biggest hurdle was/is the price. Many people are interested in the tech and are willing to give it a go but >300$ is simply too much for most people.

I am one of them. I'm dying to try it and think I would love it. My finances are not allowing it right now but I can see me buying a rift set for 200€

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But that platform is already killed by Google. So it doesn't matter at all.

That isn't even close to being true. Google is actively ramping up their daydream platform, in fact. They've moved onto the phase of licensing the tech to manufacturers. Lenovo, for example, has an all-in-one daydream unit due out in a few months.

Roz

Nov 10, 2017
Good news. I got an Oculus rift in the summer and I couldn't be happier with how fun it is.

Lakuza

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This year has been amazing for all headsets, the summer sale was a massive boost to oculus, then vive followed it with their own sale too and now we had black friday sales for all the headsets.
On top of that, the games have been great in 2017 although they haven't been covered by mainstream gaming media much unfortunately but with the skyrim out on psvr, fallout vr on pc next month and doom coming out on both psvr and pc, the media should hopefully start reporting on them more.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
At 10yrs old I was playing the Atari 2600. Meanwhile, my 9&10yr old daughters are playing Skyrim in VR.

The future is equal parts amazing and terrifying!

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Never touch my rift, perhaps if it worked with ps/xb I'd use it more but I hate bothering with my pc , was a mistake buying it

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
This is music to me ears. Now bring forth gen 2 & 3. I'm eagerly waiting for that generation bump.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After playing PSVR at conventions I think #199 is my sweet spot for it. So hopefully by next holiday season I'll jump in. The software just isn't there for me. I really only want Resident Evil VII and then I'll check out a few other quirky games
Remember the experience at a convention might often be half as good as the at-home bespoke setup experience for a multitude of reasons. For one thing, a lot of us enthusiasts are pretty certain that staff at conventions don't know how to set users up in VR properly (we found a multitude of anecdotes of people making PSVR headset complaints based on their convention experience - that only happens if the headset isn't set up right).

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
As a Day 1 adopter let me just say "You're welcome!".

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This year has been amazing for all headsets, the summer sale was a massive boost to oculus, then vive followed it with their own sale too and now we had black friday sales for all the headsets.
On top of that, the games have been great in 2017 although they haven't been covered by mainstream gaming media much unfortunately but with the skyrim out on psvr, fallout vr on pc next month and doom coming out on both psvr and pc, the media should hopefully start reporting on them more.

When I was a kid, I had a Sega Genesis but not a Super NES, so when I'd read GamePro, I'd skip everything that wasn't related to the Genesis. Just outright didn't read that stuff. None of the reviews, none of the previews. If it wasn't Sega Genesis, it may well have not existed.

I suspect many are like that with VR. Even with the prices lowering, there are still many people who can't afford it, especially on PC. Thus, I think they flat-out ignore some of the awesome games to come out lately. Why spend time watching games come out that you can't play?

This is a problem most brand new platforms have.

EDIT: Also, a problem I notice is that it seems like only horror stuff in VR gets wider attention these days. And the horror stuff tends to be pretty rote, and look kinda samey. TBH I don't touch any of the VR horror stuff. It gets old really fast.

I'm talking about the focus on ARCore instead of the limited Daydream Platform.
https://venturebeat.com/2017/09/01/...ream-and-tango-phone-after-less-than-a-month/

Oh, my bad, your post was kinda FUBAR'd when I replied so I had to guess what you were talking about specifically lol.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
I think a lot more people would be willing to try if the price is right. Think the gear vr shows this, and even the price reduction the ps vr had this black Friday. Personally grabbed one myself, couldn't resist, and what defo helped is me already having 2 vr games I wanted from ps plus.

Hope vr succeeds and gets to improve itself

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Cool to see. I'm bringing my desktop PC (not that big, and I'm driving) and my Rift home with me for Christmas. I want my family to try it for the first time.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cool to see. I'm bringing my desktop PC (not that big, and I'm driving) and my Rift home with me for Christmas. I want my family to try it for the first time.

Outside of my father, none of the rest of my family has done VR since I let them all try the DK2 when it was brand new. All they did back then was a Senza Peso demo, and Sightline: The Chair.

This christmas, my dad is getting a new PC and a rift and Vive, and all the grandkids and extended family is coming over. This will be, for basically everyone there, their first real taste of interactive VR. Thanks to family sharing with Steam, we'll have some 90 odd VR Games for people to play with on Christmas day.

I kinda want to film the reactions.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
490'000 PSVRs in Q3, well Q4 should far surpass that figure with all the discounts and marketing, maybe even 1 million units?

Hell yeah, VR isn't dead yet! PSVR 2 will be a beast I'm sure ;)

Li Kao

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of my father, none of the rest of my family has done VR since I let them all try the DK2 when it was brand new. All they did back then was a Senza Peso demo, and Sightline: The Chair.

This christmas, my dad is getting a new PC and a rift and Vive, and all the grandkids and extended family is coming over. This will be, for basically everyone there, their first real taste of interactive VR. Thanks to family sharing with Steam, we'll have some 90 odd VR Games for people to play with on Christmas day.

I kinda want to film the reactions.
I've not seen that many but reactions to VR are always nice to watch.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I literally just bought an Oculus yesterday. I've been dying to get in on VR for a long time but didn't want to go with something tied to a console. The current price drop was too big to ignore.

Oct 27, 2017
The tech isn't there yet, sadly. Just got my Oculus Rift as a gift, and it is really fun, but I think it's still several years out from reaching mass appeal. It needs a sleeker design with easier setup (on PC anyways, especially when it comes to using Steam stuff with Oculus, which is horrible much of the time), much better resolution and a way to lessen motion sickness.

It's off to a good start though, and it can be really fun when it works properly.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've not seen that many but reactions to VR are always nice to watch.

Oh yeah, I've demoed VR to so many people over the years. There is a thrill in watching people react, especially skeptics. When I want to go pure spectacle these days, I throw them into Area X of Rez and that usually gets the jaw dropping.

But this is my family, so it means more to me.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The tech isn't there yet, sadly. Just got my Oculus Rift as a gift, and it is really fun, but I think it's still several years out from reaching mass appeal. It needs a sleeker design with easier setup (on PC anyways, especially when it comes to using Steam stuff with Oculus, which is horrible much of the time), much better resolution and a way to lessen motion sickness.

It's off to a good start though, and it can be really fun when it works properly.

Repeating what I said in the other thread: The thing that sets VR apart from other flash in the pan tech moments like the rebirth of 3DTV, The Wiimote, Kinect, etc. is that the tech works. Ask most people what the best moment of the wii phenomenon was, and they'll probably say Wii Sports. Ask people what the best 3D movie was, and they'll likely say Avatar. Ask people what was the best moment about Kinect, and they'll likely say the reveal.

Unlike all those other kinds of techs, VR worked from the get go, and as time goes on software gets better and better as devs get grips on the realities of VR development, and how it's different from normal game development. That creativity is picking up and the games are improving is a sign that VR isn't a flash in the pan tech, and that it's in for the long run. It is undoubtedly better to get into VR today than it was 1 year ago. And it'll be better to get into VR next year than it will be right now. And so forth.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
I got many of my friends and my family to try out the Oculus Rift.
They all loved it. Most of my family isn't big on gaming, but one of my friends bought a PSVR afterwards. Another friend wants to get a headset, but he's not sure when he'd use it.

It really seems like locally, VR headsets are getting a lot more popular. My local Walmart in the middle of nowhere, now has a section for a variety of headsets for phones: GearVR, and a lot of cheap ones. I personally sold 10 on black Friday. They also finally have PSVR's, and sold a few on black Friday.

Sales are a slow burn like expected, but it seems like it's starting to hit a stride. Very exciting times.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Yeah the 500 price point was understandable but too steep for me. It's amazing technology though and I hope it catches on even more while not leaving traditional 2D gaming in the dust.