• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada

It may not have the notoriety of being the first 3D Zelda, or the wide-open epicness of Ocarina of Time and Breath of the Wild. But the things Majora's Mask does different is where its strengths lay.

mysterious4rj9t.gif

Having only an 18 month development cycle, the world necessarily had to be made compact. But while there may be a shortage of massive vistas and only four main dungeons, the world actually feels more alive than ever. Every corner has been filled with content, and not one bit of it is filler.

linkdancerjkh0.png

Every side character has a schedule, a story, and a part to play in the greater scheme. As the three day cycle passes, you see the fruits of their labour or their increasing despair at the end of the world. And as you progress in helping them, key points in their quests are timestamped and checked off in your notebook, a great help in keeping track of them all.

notebookqcjh1.png

And these are not empty stories. No other Zelda has as deep or as much variety of emotion. Denial, regret, loss, depression, worry, love, and caring, all underscored by a deep, unsettling atmosphere brought to life by vivid colours and brilliant effects (courtesy of the Expansion Pak), impeccably constructed cutscenes, and a Koji Kondo soundtrack for the ages.

Clock Town, Day 2
Astral Observatory
Rosa Sisters Dance
Deku Palace
Final Hours

mikauswjlm.png

Don't let the low dungeon count get you down either. Each region has a long story-heavy leadup to the dungeon, complete with minigames and mini-dungeons. The final region, Ikana, is especially well done, with numerous heart piece quests and lots of lore, topped off by the BEST dungeon in all of 3D Zelda, Stone Tower Temple. Both bright and eerie, with tricky navigation, a large variety of rooms, hazards, and enemies, and an epic central mechanic of flipping the ENTIRE dungeon upside down!

towerflip2uj7f.png

Each dungeon also has a second quest of sorts, with 15 well-hidden Stray Fairies that, when returned, get you some of the best powerups in the game. There are also two optional Skulltula Houses, an indoor archery range, and a Deku flying test, among lots of other minigames.

cruisetargetsfkkhn.png

Majora is packed with sidequests, and it's all worthwhile, with 52 heart pieces and 20 masks with a variety of effects to collect, in addition to the 3 main transformation masks that really transform the game. Each one totally changes how you navigate, and differ greatly in attacking styles.

zoraboomerangzsk13.gif

Another upgrade from Ocarina of Time is the ocarina itself. The songs do more now, such as speed up/slow down time, warp to more locations, and create offputting stand-ins for switches. They're also more essential to the story now, with the mournful Song of Healing and Oath to Order being of particular importance.

sos4tjsl.gif

Only Breath of the Wild can compete with Majora's Mask in how absorbing the world is. Alongside the heavy story elements, pervasive eerieness, and potent art style, even the items and hidden pits have personality. Although a touch on the easy side, dated in some technical aspects, and the central time mechanic being a turnoff for more passive players, it remains an incredibly satisfying experience, and an experiment Nintendo should forever be proud of.

kooloolimpah2ojuz.gif

The screenshots/GIFs are from an original Nintendo 64 hardware capture by WatchmeplayNintendo

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
My favorite game of all time, an absolute masterpiece in every way. The best NPC and side quest design of any game. The masks add incredible variety to the gameplay which already was great from the OoT template. Four dungeons did feel lacking but all of them are great and all the stuff leading up to them is so fantastic it didn't hurt the feel of being on a massive quest.

It's exactly what a sequel should do, build on the last while introducing wild new ideas. Controlling an entire element like time changed how the game is approached and gives you a level of control over the world OoT never had.

It's exactly what a Zelda game should be, the next BOTW style game needs to have a better focus and give us some of the elements of this game like stronger side quests, a stronger narrative, obviously real dungeons and a quest with some sort of pacing.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Only Breath of the Wild can compete with Majora's Mask in how absorbing the world is.

Actually it doesn't compete for the reasons you outline. I like overall the open world of BotW, but the characters and sidequests that Majora's Mask does so well are barely present. If you think about it is actually kind of crazy how I am more engaged with Termina, which is now 19 years old.

Oct 25, 2017
The best Zelda ever. Edge did a wonderful Time Extend on it that I can't find online anymore unfortunately.

Vesper

Oct 28, 2017
On some days Majora's Mask is not only my favorite Zelda game but my favorite game of all time. SO much density and atmosphere packed into a small world. I can only hope the follow up to BotW which is rumored to come next year is inspired by it in its design.

OP
OP
Oscillator

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Actually it doesn't compete for the reasons you outline. I like overall the open world of BotW, but the characters and sidequests that Majora's Mask does so well are barely present. If you think about it is actually kind of crazy how I am more engaged with Termina, which is now 19 years old.

Majora is absorbing in a more obvious, video-gamey way - the music, the characters, the story, the items. BotW on the other hand gets me with just the environment. The wind, the sky, the rain, the soft lights, the shaders. What it does best needed current-gen hardware, but the things that Majora did to remain compelling going on 20 years later are just as impressive.

StrmSrg

Oct 26, 2017
Louisiana
To this day, the only Zelda game with a mood. I have spent an innumerable amount of hours thinking about how this game expresses itself and its themes, and how to put into words how I feel about this game.

I swear, one of these days I'm finally gonna make that thread about how the Postman/Running man is actually the most fascinating Zelda NPC of all.

Anyway, can't have a Majora's Mask thread without Oath to Order

And the Credits theme.

Edit: Better quality rip

Last edited:

TeraDax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Québec
It is my favorite game ever. While I struggled the first time I played (not being able to fully read in english back then was a bit of a problem ), when it finally clicked... damn that game is good. Everything about it is so special! The world, the NPC, the music, so much memories!
Sometime I wish I could go back in time to play it fresh!

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I actually beat it for the first time (and on original hardware too!) last year in 2018. It was mysterious, dark, difficult, and fresh. It had a feeling of dread and joy all at the same time. I have beaten nearly every single player Zelda game now, other than Zelda II and Spirit Tracks. Regarding MM:

I loved how the NPCs were developed as full characters without heavily relying on dialogue - a series staple, but exemplified here more than any other entry.

I loved how there is so much missable content in the game that made it feel like it was lush with secrets.

I loved how tightly designed the world was, making exploration feel different than the wide open areas of previous entries.

I love how the secrets were not so exclusively tied to navigating the terrain in this installment, and instead were tied into the world events and side stories.

It took me almost 2 decades to finally get into the game from when I first acquired the cart, but it was worth it. It's a really memorable and enjoyable experience. I can see why many people consider it the best Zelda even though they're all equals in my eyes.

Amnixia

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
The real best Zelda.

(Don't worry, I still love BotW and OoT)

Enforced

Oct 26, 2017
The second gif in the OP when Link learned Oath of Order is my favorite scene in the game.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
MM has by far the best side quests and town of any Zelda. It does have a few really obnoxious segments, like the Mummy trading quest and the Zora egg quest.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
One thing I like about MM is that the whole groundhog day idea fits so well with how game AI works (i.e. looping behavior), thus turning a limitation of games into something that lends itself to the context of the world.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm bumping this because I'm pissed that a Skyward Sword appreciation thread got 4 pages of posts in 8 hours while this far more beloved entry has only gotten 1 page of posts in 3 months.

Could be because of the ugly low res N64 GIFs...
Personally i really hate it when console ppl pretend emulators running these games in whatever resolution you want don't exist, i mean at least use a frikkin CRT...

OP
OP
Oscillator

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Could be because of the ugly low res N64 GIFs...
Personally i really hate it when console ppl pretend emulators running these games in whatever resolution you want don't exist, i mean at least use a frikkin CRT...

I wanted to preserve the original look of the game. The only emulator plugin that renders MM's lighting correctly is GLideN64, and I doubt there's a full playthrough available utilizing it that I can cut footage out of.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
Although it's an amazing game on its own, Majoras Mask also gave us one of the best creepy-pastas of the oughts:

hqdefault.jpg

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
My favourite Zelda. I bought a 3DS just for this and OoT.

It's also the best Zelda.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I wanted to preserve the original look of the game. The only emulator plugin that renders MM's lighting correctly is GLideN64, and I doubt there's a full playthrough available utilizing it that I can cut footage out of.

Well fair enough didn't know you ripped them from YT that explains the quality, so sry if that came out wrong.

Personally i really like the 3DS remake (running in Citra here):

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oscillator

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada

Huh, there is one, actually. Oh well, too late now. :-\

EDIT: That playthrough is actually rendering in widescreen (with an obstructive Twitch chat overlay to boot), making it unusable for historical accuracy.

Last edited:

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I still prefer more traditional Zelda games but I do love how the circumstances surrounding the game birthed something so unique. You can kinda see it in the 3D remake in that there are so many things that would have been otherwise smoothed over if the game were made now.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
I'm bumping this because I'm pissed that a Skyward Sword appreciation thread got 4 pages of posts in 8 hours while this far more beloved entry has only gotten 1 page of posts in 3 months.

postsplease6jkwb.png
The people have spoken.

/s, quite a few of those posts are people complaining about the game, and people complaining about complainers in an appreciation thread.

Personally, whether I like MM or SS more depends on the day. I think most days it's MM, but not always...

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely one of the best games ever.
Amazing quest and setting, good dungeons and regions filled up with secrets.
And graphics still hold up. Even the n64 version. Game has aged like fine wine.

Jun 10, 2018
Majora's Mask still has the most engaging world I've ever played. I still have yet to play a game with a world that feels as alive as Majora's Mask. Every NPC felt distinct and I thought it was so revolutionary when it released that I am surprised more games haven't copied it's formula.