• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
Not a Jake Lloyd or Star Wars is for kids thread. I'm rewatching all SW movies in preparation for IX, and it occurred to me just how much of my problems with the prequel trilogy would be fixed if they made Anakin 14-16 instead of 10-11.
  • You can show him starting to pine for Padme, and her rebuffing him because of her duty. Makes it less weird in Ep II where as a senator she can relax and let him in
  • Make the whole "too old to train to be a Jedi" a bit more believable, especially because you can show a moody / volatile side to Anakin
  • Related to that, in Ep I he's a goody-two-shoes, but everyone acts like he's secretly a monster ("the boy is dangerous!); but nothing in his characterization supports it. If he's a teen, you can show him having a strong, scary reaction to something (and foreshadowing the slaughter in II)
  • Also makes it less ridiculous that he never went back for his mom. Ep II Can now believably take place right when Anakin can go back and save his mom, only to find she's dead
I don't think they'll ever remake the prequels, but I'd love to see this version of that movie.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
The prequel trilogy should have started with the Clone Wars already going. The first and second films were kind of a waste of time which is why by the third film Anakin's turn to the dark side felt rushed.

Dec 12, 2017
I have held this opinion for years. The problem with the time jump from 1 to 2 is that it puts Episode 1 on an Island with very little connective tissue to 2 and 3.

I always thought we should have met Anakin when he was a rough around the edges 14-15 year old. Possibly even using the force without knowing it (i.e. Jedi Mind tricks for personal gain).

Make him a scavenger with no real past to speak of, ObiWan finds him during one of his adventures. Chaotic neutral.

Also, making the PT focus on ObiWan and Anakin as tragic brothers would have helped immensely instead of political "drama".

Also, don't make him the creep around Palme that the PT made him into.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem with the prequels is you needed someone to be the "Luke" and no one was able to fill in effectively.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
yeah no question he should've been older. but i get what they were going for, this sweet little kid will be DARTH VADER which was a decent pitch at the time though hindsight is 20/20 obvs

Dec 22, 2017
Anakin should have grown up on an agrarian planet, like Space Kansas, and been radicalized like a rural white guy.

Owen taking him to a remote planet where you can barely farm moisture would have been a noble sacrifice - and made more sense logitiscally.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I agree with you. It would made what happens in episode 2 much less awkward between him and Padme.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The prequel trilogy should have started with the Clone Wars already going. The first and second films were kind of a waste of time which is why by the third film Anakin's turn to the dark side felt rushed.

Definitely. It would have made a lot more sense if the first movie introduced us to an adult Anakin that was basically conscripted into the Jedi Order during the Clone Wars because they needed to fill their ranks and he possessed an unnaturally strong connection to the Force and incredible piloting skills but, over time, it becomes pretty apparent he's a lot more dangerous to the Jedi Order the more he learns of his power and how much more powerful he can get.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Starting him as a kid was a mistake. A teen would have been much better.

The bigger issues are the script and the look of the movies, the dialogue is generally trash and the movies overall just look too bright and clean.

I do enjoy the prequel movies though, despite their flaws.

Oct 28, 2017
Anakin should have been in a Padawan in training who gets assigned to protect Padme (maybe Obi-Wan is his master) and they develop a burgeoning romance in TPM. He could have been like 16 or 17. Or make TPM completely Padme's movie (it kind of is anyway) and bring Anakin in in movie two when he's assigned to protect her.

Little Ani could be removed from the plot of TPM and nothing would be missed. His background with his mom could be handled easily in a flashback. You don't need half a movie dedicated to it.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Would have changed nothing, look at the other two movies; terrible scripts, terrible dialogue, terrible directing.

Dec 22, 2017
Definitely. It would have made a lot more sense if the first movie introduced us to an adult Anakin that was basically conscripted into the Jedi Order during the Clone Wars because they needed to fill their ranks and he possessed an unnaturally strong connection to the Force and incredible piloting skills but, over time, it becomes pretty apparent he's a lot more dangerous to the Jedi Order the more he learns of his power and how much more powerful he can get.

This is much better than The Chosen One bullshit we got.

Think about the hypercompetitive nature that possesses athletetes to use steroids. THAT should have been his seduction to the dark side. Being jealous, impatient, greedy, etc.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Nah start him out as a hardened middle-age man, already a Jedi, fighting side-by-side with Obi Wan.

Status
Not open for further replies.