• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Kaze Emanuar went over 30 thousand lines of Mario 64 code to optimize it and remove any bugs he could find. The result is a Mario 64 engine that can run the game up to 6 times faster on native N64 hardware. Mad respect for this guy.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Incredible. Wow. I'm still watching the video but this is incredible.

Imagine a Sonic Mania-style project where someone who understands Super Mario 64 so deeply got a shot at making a special title.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't watch the entire video, but at one point he says he removed code that his mod didn't use. Does that mean that the improvements he's made are specific to his mod (which I assume are custom levels?), so you can't play the base game with these improvements?

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Isn't this about code optimization?
It is, but I think anyone who has invested 100s of hours into optimizing thousands and thousands of lines of code in an effort to support their own mod of the game probably has a really strong understanding of the source material.

You could argue his knowledge is technical versus creative, sure. But I would like to fantasize about a game that looks exactly like Super Mario 64 but plays as good as this does. Please allow me this opportunity. I have so little. 😭

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
His video from a few months back on optimizing the code is also a really great watch, and IMO more approachable and easier to understand. (He also goes into the code in more detail at the end in a "bonus" section):

Firebricks

Jan 27, 2018
I usually look down on people crapping all over old code and whatnot (you just don't know the limitations the original had in every category) but this is a fantastic video while also not crapping all over it. Fantastic stuff.

donhonk

Oct 30, 2017
Didn't watch the entire video, but at one point he says he removed code that his mod didn't use. Does that mean that the improvements he's made are specific to his mod (which I assume are custom levels?), so you can't play the base game with these improvements?

As far as I've seen Kaze hasn't committed to doing a reoptimzied Mario 64 so these are exclusive to his hacks so far

modsbox

Oct 28, 2017
As far as I've seen Kaze hasn't committed to doing a reoptimzied Mario 64 so these are exclusive to his hacks so far
Really hope he commits to this. After all of this work he's done it would be tremendously impactful for people to be able to play an optimized version of the original game on original hardware. People all over would stream it, speedrun it, review it, rave about it... that just won't if it's only for a mod of the game. Even if the mod is really good, you'd need people to be able to play the OG game first to get them excited about mods.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Well, no. It's still a compiled language. The optimizations he goes over make a lot of sense though.
To be fair, a lot of his code optimizations could be seen as "more to the metal" than C code would generally be. He made several changes that look messy, but specifically target the N64's MIPS processor to the point where some of the code he wrote won't work when compiled on other platforms. (e.g. it exploits its big endian nature.)

Oct 25, 2017
Considering Mario 64 was one of the first games made for the system, one has to wonder any of the later published games for the system was developed with the same optimizations the modder did.

Considering what his mod is pulling off, one can't help but wonder.

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
Kaze is the Super Mario 64 whisperer. His own dreams must be rendered in low-poly for all the tens of thousands of hours he's spent staring at this one game.

Fugo

Nov 16, 2017
I wonder if Ocarina of Time could be made to run 30fps with those kind of optimizations. It's cool to see untapped potential in old hardware!

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
Nintendo should hire him to compile new ROMs for the N64 emulator. Games like Zelda and GoldenEye run like shit by modern standards... Mario 64 has always felt slick but this is even slicker!

May 24, 2019
Last time I expressed excitement for one of his releases, someone showed me some evidence from his Discord that he's a total bigot. I can't remember exactly what it was, but just cautioning.

edit: Found it
https://imgur.com/a/zWf7NIv (CW: racism, transphobia)

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
The code for one of the most groundbreaking launch titles being a hot mess really isn't that surprising. They probably just barely managed to finish in time for launch.

Very cool project to analyse old code and optimising it.

Oct 25, 2017
i wish more time was spent on exactly what changes resulted in what speed ups. there's a lot of "this made it go faster", and in some cases it's like "by a measurable amount, or...?". especially when he'd mention a specific giant optimisation and it's like "oh, so it was mostly from this?".

looking at the final numbers (for the ram layout section iirc) and seeing one of the metrics go up rather than down is game optimisation in a nut-shell, lol.

Last edited:

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
Last time I expressed excitement for one of his releases, someone showed me some evidence from his Discord that he's a total bigot. I can't remember exactly what it was, but just cautioning.

People joking / lamenting they can't be non-PC and make jokes at others expense. What he's been caught saying is wrong but others in there look to be actively worse. I get that it's his server. Discord can be a real cesspit when people use it to say things they wouldn't say elsewhere, people really seem to show themselves when they think they're in a walled garden clique. It's baffling how people who are otherwise talented / bright can be this way. People don't just laugh at racism on games done quick anymore... er.. good?

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan

I'm not very good with Discord. I see the comments he made directly, but what's up with the extra two or so sections where he isn't commenting? Did he like those comments, or just showing his fan base is garbage?

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I'm not very good with Discord. I see the comments he made directly, but what's up with the extra two or so sections where he isn't commenting? Did he like those comments, or just showing his fan base is garbage?

Seems like it's just a state of the community and how none of it is pushed back by the mods, especially when he was just actively in there.

This is the first I had heard of this channel but it'll be easy to ignore them. Sucks! How hard is it to not be an asshole!

May 24, 2019
I dont know the context it was collected in, but I think it was about general toxicity in the SM64 modding scene. I think it's his server.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
It's his discord community where it's all happening. He not only fosters that behaviour, he encourages and participates in it.

He may be good at programming, but he's also a piece of shit.