• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
I think it's normal for people to give more attention to things that affect them personally, yes.

That's not exactly a falsifiable claim but it's also not what I asked. Is there evidence that male body issues are being taken more seriously than female body issues in either academic literature or the wider media? A quick look through google scholar seems to indicate that there is a plethora of literature about female body issues, especially concerning the impact of social media over the past decade or so.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I hear you, I really do. And you're right, I shouldn't be taking attention away from anyone in this thread who is using it for help. At the same time though, it is amazing to me that things are only taken seriously when it happens to certain people. That is frustrating as hell and no amount of chastising from you will change my feelings about this.
Thanks for seeing it that way! Personally I think the debate as to your second point is one that should happen, just not here.

someday

Oct 25, 2017
That's not exactly a falsifiable claim but it's also not what I asked. Is there evidence that male body issues are being taken more seriously than female body issues in either academic literature or the wider media? A quick look through google scholar seems to indicate that there is a plethora of literature about female body issues, especially concerning the impact of social media over the past decade or so.
I don't think I ever said that men's body issues were taken more seriously in general. They haven't and that's not my point at all. I was saying that they are only now really being discussed by men (seriously, not just academically) because it is affecting them negatively. Until now, men didn't have a specific body type that Hollywood said was ideal but women have always dealt with this. Hopefully now that superhero abs are a thing we'll see a change.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I read the whole thread and I come to page 12 with mixed feelings. I feel for the man and boys who feel less than because of the focus on idealised body shapes. And the fact that A big portion of the conversation lacked understanding of the actual topic and empathy, shows that there is a long road ahead.

The only time you will really get empathy from men on such a discussion is if someone is like on the verge of suicide or deeply depressed. That says a lot.

The usual response is hit the gym. Anything more meaningful is too gay or weak I guess... Because "yOu ArEnt A wOmEn N thEY hAd iT wORse BRo." Hetero men are very surface level when it comes to embracing other men who are going through some kind of troubles. I think because of where society has placed women for such a long time it is no wonder they are so much more welcoming of each other and embrace one another on topics like this. Empathy requires a level of understanding + relative experience and some men have nothing to gain from offering that to other men so they give the most shallow low investment advice ever. They come off in a way that make these men seem weak, but a weak man shouldn't be seen as someone who openly reveals their flaws like some men here are doing. It takes work beyond the shallow fixes to address these issues yet all we get are shallow answers.

These same men would coddle the feelings almost anyone else because so and so group was seen as less in the past. Reminds me of those white people who overcompensate around black people. It's like condescending to me more than anything.

Maven

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Personally I'm in really great shape now. Probably the best I've ever been, but I'm definitely not a 6-pack or yet or maybe ever. I wonder if it's the amount of crazy ass work I put into looking like this that has me kind of hyper aware that seeing everyone look like they spend even more time than me and/or get really strict with diet while portraying people from every walk of life is kinda... weird.

Anyone else notice this?

There's been buff dudes ever since we were born. It's easy to compare ourselves to other men and see who's in better shape.

I stopped caring because there's always going to be someone bigger, stronger, faster, taller, etc than me. So I just workout for myself and go about life

Oct 28, 2017
Until now, men didn't have a specific body type that Hollywood said was ideal

Have you been living under a rock? There's already examples in the thread of Arnie having an effect, Brad Pitt having an effect, and there was definitely a bit of madness surrounding appearing athletically fit with people like JCVD and other actors in the past. Its nothing new but the OP has seemingly begun feeling the pressure themselves these days, likely thanks to social media amplification of extremely powerful bodies in Marvel movies, the biggest entertainment brand today.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I'm guessing that 90% of male actors are on TRT at this point. That's on top of having a nutritionist and a personal trainer. It would be hard to not look ripped.

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a regular person and I'm way fitter than him. What is really the problem here? I don't get it.

As someone who did bodybuilding and knows how hard it is to get a body like that... you must have some serious genetics

I'm guessing that 90% of male actors are on TRT at this point. That's on top of having a nutritionist and a personal trainer. It would be hard to not look ripped.

Yea I loved when everyone flipped over Chris Pratt in GotG. Like, of course a tall and stocky guy is going to be jacked when he hits the weights and starts running TRT...

zeioIIDX

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
I've gained 60 lbs since the day I graduated boot camp (I left the Air Force in 2012). I look back at this photo I took one day after graduating boot cap and I get so sad lol. Granted, I was 21 and I'm now 32 but I should have maintained my body over the years. From 152 lbs to 200+...it sucks. Especially for a 5'5" guy. I actually wear a Spanx (not that actual brand) shapewear tanktop underneath my clothes just to somewhat hide my chest meats and belly meats if I'm headed out or going to work. Gets tiring holding in my gut all day. I want to know what it feels like to have a flat stomach and pecs. I really do. I can't remember what it was even like to have the energy to just sprint somewhere and parkour across shit lol. I used to be SO active when I was younger and I loved climbing trees and sprinting in track & field. *sigh*

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
There's been buff dudes ever since we were born. It's easy to compare ourselves to other men and see who's in better shape.

I stopped caring because there's always going to be someone bigger, stronger, faster, taller, etc than me. So I just workout for myself and go about life

I agree, i think ppl get too caught up comparing themselves to other people and in the end leaving themselves depressed if they feel like they don't stack up to others. Stop worrying about others and live your life for yourself/improve yourself at your own pace, and some giving a fuck about what others do.

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think I ever said that men's body issues were taken more seriously in general. They haven't and that's not my point at all. I was saying that they are only now really being discussed by men (seriously, not just academically) because it is affecting them negatively. Until now, men didn't have a specific body type that Hollywood said was ideal but women have always dealt with this. Hopefully now that superhero abs are a thing we'll see a change.

Anecdotally, I remember discussing women's body issues in media class - and that was in a boy's school during the '90s. But that's neither here nor there. This is not a claim that is provable either way. I think it's relatively fair to say that women's body issues have achieved far more recognition in wider society. Point in fact, most of the countries known for hosting high-fashion shows have passed legislation banning underweight models.

I also tend to think that the male side of things is a unique issue due to several dynamics: A) Men don't talk about this sort of stuff and when they do it usually involves some variant on 'work harder', 'cope' or something similar. B) As demonstrated by this thread, many men don't seem to understand their own physiology, including what is achieveable and what isn't. C) The former is in part due to a concerted social media and marketing effort to present chemically-assisted 'fitness' models and hollywood actors as the norm.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
I agree, i think ppl get too caught up comparing themselves to other people and in the end leaving themselves depressed if they feel like they don't stack up to others. Stop worrying about others and live your life for yourself/improve yourself at your own pace, and some giving a fuck about what others do.

Yeah, and depressed people should just stop being sad.

Libero

Jun 15, 2019
Missing the point.
Besides, depressed people should get help and go to therapy/practice coping skills that will help reframe their thinking. They shouldn't just sit there and be sad forever. They're not wrong either. Constantly comparing yourself to others will just make you hate yourself more. Reframe your thinking to stop looking at others. Progress in mental health is based on the effort you want to put into it, just like physical health.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
I'm just here because I want to see why this thread is 13 pages

Anyway, regarding the OP, it was a little weird to see how in-shape Ross from Friends was. From the episode where he had to get a tan, he was in great shape. And considering his profession just him being the stereotypical geek, it would make more sense for him to look more like Chandler.

He was arguably in better shape than Joey.

But I guess actors are SUPPOSED to look pretty, despite the role they're in....unless they're specifically supposed to look disgusting and out of shape.

OP
OP
RDreamer

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

A lot of the pressure isn't even conscious, though. If you're bombarded with so much imagery that it becomes normalcy you may not even realize where your body image issues are specifically coming from.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018

It's still a lot of work, but when it's basically your job (and an absurdly lucrative one at that) to be swole, it's a lot easier in that aspect.

As opposed to, say, a regular Joe working 40-90 hours a week for $50k.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
yeah , nice spin there.

You're literally telling people to stop doing something they they can't just stop doing, and sometimes don't even know are doing.

Missing the point.
Besides, depressed people should get help and go to therapy/practice coping skills that will help reframe their thinking. They shouldn't just sit there and be sad forever. They're not wrong either. Constantly comparing yourself to others will just make you hate yourself more. Reframe your thinking to stop looking at others. Progress in mental health is based on the effort you want to put into it, just like physical health.

Yeah, people should get help with stuff like this. It also doesn't help that Hollywood pushes these images to everyone from an early age. "50 year old alcoholic who has never been shown in the gym? 6 pack and 9 inch biceps. That's normal."

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So, what are you trying to say here? That no one should try to do anything to better their situation and everyone should just be extra careful always to tiptoe around whatever sensitivities they may have? There are smart things to try to deal with depression and anxiety and other issues. There are also smart things to try to lose weight, get fit, and become physically healthier. While more detailed and constructive advice may be welcome, it's not out of line to encourage people to stop comparing themselves to Hollywood actors.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017

Anyway, regarding the OP, it was a little weird to see how in-shape Ross from Friends was. From the episode where he had to get a tan, he was in great shape. And considering his profession just him being the stereotypical geek, it would make more sense for him to look more like Chandler.

I think that was more because of his stint on Band of Brothers.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
So, what are you trying to say here? That no one should try to do anything to better their situation and everyone should just be extra careful always to tiptoe around whatever sensitivities they may have? There are smart things to try to deal with depression and anxiety and other issues. There are also smart things to try to lose weight, get fit, and become physically healthier. While more detailed and constructive advice may be welcome, it's not out of line to encourage people to stop comparing themselves to Hollywood actors.

It's reductive and simplistic and doesn't help anyone. That was the comparison. Nobody would tell someone to just stop being happy in that situation, so people should stop thinking that telling people to stop comparing themselves is a magic sentence.

There are people in great shape who still think they are scrawny or fat.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
2. The forgot Chidi from The Good Place. He's a mild-mannered intellectual professor. He is never mentioned to be physically active or work out. Here's what he looks like without his shirt on:
That's actually the first ( and to be honest only ) character which came to mind when I read the OP.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018

But I guess actors are SUPPOSED to look pretty, despite the role they're in....unless they're specifically supposed to look disgusting and out of shape.

The Ross thing is interesting given how he never went to the gym and there was an entire episode about him and chandler trying to quit because he doesn't go.

tenor.gif

The only time you will really get empathy from men on such a discussion is if someone is like on the verge of suicide or deeply depressed. That says a lot.

Well... The gaming side has shown us over the past month even that ain't true.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
Jake the Snake was a steroids user--and not to crack on his physique, but many would probably call it a dad bod. Certainly had some bad habits as well but wanted to mention in order to illustrate how "easy" it is to get super huge and shredded.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
The Ross thing is interesting given how he never went to the gym and there was an entire episode about him and chandler trying to quit because he doesn't go.

tenor.gif

As I mentioned above, I'm pretty sure that was because of his training for a different role. He looks pretty "normal" in this earlier episode:

q5wxlAu.gif

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
I'm a regular person and I'm way fitter than him. What is really the problem here? I don't get it.

I have been training very dedicatedly (and following a strict diet) for two years and my body is no where near as picturesque as that guy in OP.

For you to be way more aesthetically pleasing than his body is definitely far from regular.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
What a disappointing thread. I see a fair share of lack of empathy and overall shaming and toxic masculinity. In a thread about male body image of all places. Some fuckmuppets in here alright. Shame on you.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
I have been training very dedicatedly (and following a strict diet) for two years and my body is no where near as picturesque as that guy in OP.

For you to be way more aesthetically pleasing than his body is definitely far from regular.
Where did you start? If you start at like 20 percent BF and can't look like that guy within a year, you are doing something wrong.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Where did you start? If you start at like 20 percent BF and can't look like that guy within a year, you are doing something wrong.

Proper training and nutrition doesn't necessarily equate to a shredded six pack like that, especially if you're training for power or something other than body building.

If i showed you a picture of me doing a back double bicep pose you'd probably think i was in way better shape than the actor in the OP, but if you look at me from the front then i look significantly worse. Everyone's body stores fat in different area's, for me my back, arms, and shoulders are very lean because my body stores all my fat on my torso, (aka no six pack for me). I tried to get them once and my face looked so skinny that people kept asking me if i was sick so i stopped cutting.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Proper training and nutrition doesn't necessarily equate to a shredded six pack like that, especially if you're training for power or something other than body building.

If i showed you a picture of me doing a back double bicep pose you'd probably think i was in way better shape than the actor in the OP, but if you look at me from the front then i look significantly worse. Everyone's body stores fat in different area's, for me my back, arms, and shoulders are very lean because my body stores all my fat on my torso, (aka no six pack for me). I tried to get them once and my face looked so skinny that people kept asking me if i was sick so i stopped cutting.
It would be a pretty facetious comment then if somebody was training for power lifting and complained they didn't look like that. Nothing stands out on the guy in the OP other then his one delt but I assume that's lighting as the other isn't as big.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Based on the pictures in this thread, these movies and tv shows are also spreading the idea that men have no body hair. Or else I'm just in a very small minority.

Grenouille

Nov 26, 2017
Era seems to have a lot of misconception about fitness and going to the gym. It's a lifestyle change, yes, but it's not difficult if you're consistent and mindful.
Not true. I took the gym seriously for a few years and i never got big/ripped. I was probly doing something wrong, be it my diet or lack of sleep or who knows...but that just shows you are wrong.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I think the idea of this thread was to highlight and think about criticising media/marketing industries because they are bombarding men and manipulating them like which we have seen with women for far longer.

Promotion of healthy diets and encouraging regular exercise is one thing. Showing only the highest of beauty standards as normal is another

deejay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it was easy to lose weight everyone would be thin/fit.

I don't dislike the looks but I am disappointed they don't always go for more obvious/natural fits. But I guess 'plain' doesn't bring in enough money.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
If it was easy to lose weight everyone would be thin/fit.

I don't dislike the looks but I am disappointed they don't always go for more obvious/natural fits. But I guess 'plain' doesn't bring in enough money.
I can't help but think it's the pressure on the actors to be in top shape or face backlash either online or in shit-rag mags/papers. As the standards get higher and more extreme, the pressure increases. Then you have impressionable minds watching dudes on meds and dehydrating themselves to appear the new norm and the problems start affecting people who aren't paid to look amazing.

I'm amazed that so many in here can't see that, especially given how observable the phenomenon has been towards women for so long

Oct 25, 2017
I think the idea of this thread was to highlight and think about criticising media/marketing industries because they are bombarding men and manipulating them like which we have seen with women for far longer.

Promotion of healthy diets and encouraging regular exercise is one thing. Showing only the highest of beauty standards as normal is another
Have you watched many mainstream movies? Because that is not true for male actors/roles.

Oct 25, 2017
It's certainly not as prevalent as with women, but outside of comedies and indy dramas I would say things are getting that way. I think it's important to be vigilant
I understand you are saying that. But it isn't even close to being true. Off the top of my head, I can think of more mainstream movies with zero "beautiful men" than movies where all the male actors are that.