• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
I'm guessing that 90% of male actors are on TRT at this point. That's on top of having a nutritionist and a personal trainer. It would be hard to not look ripped.
I'm guessing you don't know much about diets, fitness and looking ripped in general. The mental fortitude alone to keep doing this year round..

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I understand you are saying that. But it isn't even close to being true. Off the top of my head, I can think of more mainstream movies with zero "beautiful men" than movies where all the male actors are that.
It seems there are people who feel it's worth discussing and from what I see evidence suggests increasing eating disorders in men. Feel free to nitpick all you want

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
The overabundance of super-attractive, super-fit or overly muscular men can be about as problematic to a lot of men's self-esteem/body image as the abundance of impossible beauty standards set by fashion industry's supermodels & Hollywood has demonstrably been for girls/women.

So ... you're agreeing with me that movies represent a wide range of looks for men.
If we're talking about ALL male characters that are in movies? Sure, there's quite a lot of variety. But if we're talking about lead characters who get all the attention & spotlight? Nah. In that regards, men have more variety than women mostly in the age department (as in, women start to have a sharp decline as far as their desirability as leads for mainstream Hollywood goes as they hit their 30s or at most 40s while Liam Neeson is getting lead parts in mainstream action movies even as he's nearing his 70s), otherwise they are still very much dominated by the Chris Pratts, Evanses & Hemsworths.

Oct 25, 2017
It seems there are people who feel it's worth discussing and from what I see evidence suggests increasing eating disorders in men. Feel free to nitpick all you want
The main point of your previous post, which you stated explicitly, is patently false. Now you are saying it's nitpicking for me to point that out? And now you are implying I said something I didn't, that representations of men's bodies in mainstream media isn't worth discussing.

You are either dishonest or a poor reader.

Oct 25, 2017
The overabundance of super-attractive, super-fit or overly muscular men can be about as problematic to a lot of men's self-esteem/body image as the abundance of impossible beauty standards set by fashion industry's supermodels & Hollywood has demonstrably been for girls/women.

If we're talking about ALL male characters that are in movies? Sure, there's quite a lot of variety. But if we're talking about lead characters who get all the attention & spotlight? Nah. In that regards, men have more variety than women mostly in the age department (as in, women start to have a sharp decline as far as their desirability as leads for mainstream Hollywood goes as they hit their 30s or at most 40s while Liam Neeson is getting lead parts in mainstream action movies even as he's nearing his 70s), otherwise they are still very much dominated by the Chris Pratts, Evanses & Hemsworths.
This might seem true if the only movies you are aware of are comic movies from the last few years. Otherwise, no, it is not true. Not even close.

And I guess you didnt read it, or don't care, but the post I was replying to was indeed talking about all male roles.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
This might seem true if the only movies you are aware of are comic movies from the last few years. Otherwise, no, it is not true. Not even close.

And I guess you didnt read it, or don't care, but the post I was replying to was indeed talking about all male roles.
Those same people who are in those "comic book movies" star in a fuckton of other movies as well (from indie/smaller releases to other mainstream movies). Just out of interest, what movies do you consider mainstream movies with unattractive leads?

OP
OP
RDreamer

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think you can just dismiss the power and reach of comic movies, though. It's a massive part of culture now, and they dominate the box office plus merchandising and overall mindshare for a lot of impressionable people. And the stars of those movies are getting a lot of other roles, so the comic physique bleeds into a lot of other films.

That said, I didn't start the topic to say "it is a problem, the end." If you don't think it's as widespread then that's totally fine. Make that point.

In either case, show the leads that aren't stacked to hell. We can have that conversation, too! We can highlight good portrayals no matter what we think of the issue.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
The main point of your previous post, which you stated explicitly, is patently false. Now you are saying it's nitpicking for me to point that out? And now you are implying I said something I didn't, that representations of men's bodies in mainstream media isn't worth discussing.

You are either dishonest or a poor reader.
I think you're getting hung up on the word "only". Obviously I'm not saying it's absolute and universal, so apologies I guess for that

I stand by my sentiment in it being a problem, which you seem to as well.

Not sure the need to try and imply dishonestly or reading problems. When someone uses ACAB you understand what that means right?

Oct 25, 2017
Those same people who are in those "comic book movies" star in a fuckton of other movies as well (from indie/smaller releases to other mainstream movies). Just out of interest, what movies do you consider mainstream movies with unattractive leads?
Of course, the discussion here isn't "unattractive." It's "not being shown off as ridiculously ripped/beautiful." And I don't feel like typing out a list of most movies. Black Klansman comes to mind. As does Get Out. John Wick. Sicario. All of Liam Neeson's recent movies. Captain Marvel. Den of Thieves (there is a shirtless Liev Schreiber scene, but I doubt anyone was really yearning for that). The Punisher (Netflix). Heat. Hateful Eight. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Oct 25, 2017
I think you're getting hung up on the word "only". Obviously I'm not saying it's absolute and universal, so apologies I guess for that

I stand by my sentiment in it being a problem, which you seem to as well.

Not sure the need to try and imply dishonestly or reading problems. When someone uses ACAB you understand what that means right?

You made statements about me that were just clearly not true. What would you call it?

And speaking of, you think I'm a cop? Lol.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Of course, the discussion here isn't "unattractive." It's "not being shown off as ridiculously ripped/beautiful." And I don't feel like typing out a list of most movies. Black Klansman comes to mind. As does Get Out. John Wick. Sicario. All of Liam Neeson's recent movies. Captain Marvel. Den of Thieves (there is a shirtless Liev Schreiber scene, but I doubt anyone was really yearning for that). The Punisher (Netflix). Heat. Hateful Eight. Etc. Etc. Etc.
Lol, pretty much all of those movies have Hollywood-handsome leads (well, the ones I've seen, at least, haven't seen Sicario or Den of Thieves). Liam Neeson is still considered a hunk by a lot of people.

Just seems like you are a fairly perfect example of someone who has had Hollywood set your standards when you'd think those are the kind of movies to list when thinking of movies that don't push Hollywood-levels of handsomness, if you think most people leading those movies aren't on the handsome side of the isle.

OP
OP
RDreamer

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

Wait, you're saying John David Washington, Daniel Kaluuya, Keanu Reeves, Liam Neeson, Jon Bernthal, and Samuel L Jackson are all unattractive?

Keanu, Liam, and S Jackson are all three older action stars and likely still get billing because they were established long ago. And they're still very attractive.

Blakkklansman and Get Out leads are played by pretty attractive men. And their box office really can't be compared to most comic movies nowadays, too.

This example list really shows the skew. If those are unattractive then the bar is ridiculously high and thus the only actually attractive leads probably are the comic movie heroes.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
You can be a regular person and be ripped. It's that every regular person isn't ripped. It's also extremely hard to be that buff, especially while competing with complete and utter mental breakdowns plus vices like alcohol, etc like that specific person is dealing with.

I'm straight, but even I'll admit it's visually appealing. It must be nice nowadays for people actually attracted to men.

Still feels like there should be a bigger variety of all body types, men and women obviously.

It's also important to note that there is extra prep done for male topless scenes as well, like dehydration to accentuate the musculature.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing that 90% of male actors are on TRT at this point. That's on top of having a nutritionist and a personal trainer. It would be hard to not look ripped.

Yep but keep in mind that we are seeing them at or near their best, some don't stay in that kind of shape if they are not shooting. Also, maybe more importantly they still have self discipline and are putting in the work.

Maven

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I agree, i think ppl get too caught up comparing themselves to other people and in the end leaving themselves depressed if they feel like they don't stack up to others. Stop worrying about others and live your life for yourself/improve yourself at your own pace, and some giving a fuck about what others do.

Yep. Focus on yourself and take care of what you can control.

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, you're saying John David Washington, Daniel Kaluuya, Keanu Reeves, Liam Neeson, Jon Bernthal, and Samuel L Jackson are all unattractive?

Keanu, Liam, and S Jackson are all three older action stars and likely still get billing because they were established long ago. And they're still very attractive.

Blakkklansman and Get Out leads are played by pretty attractive men. And their box office really can't be compared to most comic movies nowadays, too.

This example list really shows the skew. If those are unattractive then the bar is ridiculously high and thus the only actually attractive leads probably are the comic movie heroes.
I said explicitly that I wasn't saying they are unattractive.

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, pretty much all of those movies have Hollywood-handsome leads (well, the ones I've seen, at least, haven't seen Sicario or Den of Thieves). Liam Neeson is still considered a hunk by a lot of people.

Just seems like you are a fairly perfect example of someone who has had Hollywood set your standards when you'd think those are the kind of movies to list when thinking of movies that don't push Hollywood-levels of handsomness, if you think most people leading those movies aren't on the handsome side of the isle.
Again, "are they attractive" is not the discussion. The discussion is "are they represented as being insanely ripped/hot," as per the OP. Please cite a scene from one of those movies that does that--except the "sorta one" I have already referenced.

Last edited:

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
If you have time, a gym and sufficient food/supplements getting ripped is actually quite simple. The hardest part is sticking to it and getting all the nutrients you need.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I love this thread.

It started about characters in media being ripped or swole regardless what character they are playing. They casted Henry Cavill as Sherlock Holmes, a depressed opium addict haha.

Let's turn that on it's head, they are looking for someone to play Superman, they cast someone who is obese and out of shape, people would be really pissed off. Casting ripped dudes in roles is totally fine, but casting people who spends hours in the gym as alcohlics or down trodden people who never would be spending time in a gym or exercising is illogical.

Now it's about how easy or how to become ripped haha.

OP
OP
RDreamer

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
As attractive as Keanu Reeves may be, I don't think he fits the topic of too buff/cut.

keanu-reeves-china-chow-saint-tropez-04.jpg

The problem is that if men are shown half naked in blockbuster movies, they don't look like that. At least not when they are shown in a positive light.
I think the discussion won't be productive if we mix "generally attractive" and "peak physique" as if those are the same. That's also not what the OP was getting at.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Oh, so you were just implying I'm a bastard. Got it.
....no?....

I'm saying that ACAB doesn't suggest that every single cop without fail is a bastard. Just that in the way the system is built, the general rule of thumb, and those also in the service are complicit in, the bastardness of cops.

Mate, stop reading shit that isn't there

Is anyone else having trouble reading my meaning? I don't feel I'm being particularly hard to understand here, but I accept I know what I'm trying to say so it's easier for me to read my meaning.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
As attractive as Keanu Reeves may be, I don't think he fits the topic of too buff/cut.

The problem is that if men are shown half naked in blockbuster movies, they don't look like that. At least mit when they are shown in a positive light.
I think the discussion won't be productive if we mix "generally attractive" and "peak physique" as if those are the same. That's also not what the OP was getting at.

Yeah, exactly. The point is differentiating "general attractiveness" from the one ideal of being super muscular dehydrated guys. There's more than one way to be attractive.

Oct 25, 2017
....no?....

I'm saying that ACAB doesn't suggest that every single cop without fail is a bastard. Just that in the way the system is built, the general rule of thumb, and those also in the service are complicit in, the bastardness of cops.

Mate, stop reading shit that isn't there

Is anyone else having trouble reading my meaning? I don't feel I'm being particularly hard to understand here, but I accept I know what I'm trying to say so it's easier for me to read my meaning.
You referenced calling people like me bastards. It's right in your post.

OP
OP
RDreamer

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

The problem is that if men are shown half naked in blockbuster movies, they don't look like that. At least mit when they are shown in a positive light.

Keanu's an excellent example of a fit, attractive man who's not crazy ripped or anything like that.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
You referenced calling people like me bastards. It's right in your post.
Where? I was using the phenomenon/example of people using the term ACAB to describe cops as a parallel to how I was referring to the ubiquity of beauty standards/musculature in media and my use of "only" - in that I was admittedly making a sweeping sentiment that should not be seen as an absolute as you seemed to be interpreting it

My apologies if the sentence structure threw you off, it wasn't my intention

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
It takes time, money, effort and dedication. Its simple!

Look, it's not that hard. All you need to do is lift weights six days a week, stop drinking alcohol, don't eat anything after 7pm, don't eat any carbs or sugar at all, in fact just don't eat anything you like, get the personal trainer from Magic Mike, sleep nine hours a night, run three miles a day, and have a studio pay for the whole thing over a six to seven month span. I don't know why everyone's not doing this. It's a super realistic lifestyle and an appropriate body image to compare oneself to.

Deleted member 48828

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 21, 2018
Hey, can we get a ban for people who come into threads about body dysmorphia and make disgusting comments about feeling happy that "parity" has been reached?

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
controversial opinion. i think the obscene fitness standards that we've acquired from hollywood are kind of nice.

the downside is that it makes a lot of people feel kind of down about their bodies.

the upside is that the people who work at their bodies are revered and respected more than they would be if these hyper fit body standards weren't as prevelant and important as they are today.

i think it's cool that people who don't have the most classically attractive faces can make up for it with a stunning physique, and that wouldnt be as true if mainstream media embraced more normalized physiques.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
the upside is that the people who work at their bodies are revered and respected more than they would be if these hyper fit body standards weren't as prevelant and important as they are today.

I don't think this is really true, especially because nearly everyone in Hollywood is traditionally handsome on top of being ripped. And at any rate, why should we reward a really small number of people at the expense of everyone else? Is their happiness so great that it makes up for the misery of everyone else?

Wouldn't it just be better if attractiveness, of all kinds, mattered a bit less, or at the very least there was room for more people to be valued and respected?

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I'm guessing you don't know much about diets, fitness and looking ripped in general. The mental fortitude alone to keep doing this year round..
I would say that isn't a safe assumption.

Androgens do a great job at burning fat. Especially belly fat. In fact, the first visible sign of low testosterone isn't losing muscle. It's gaining fat. If you add that to having trainers, chefs and nutritionists at your call you have a massive advantage over the general population. Looking like the person in the OP wouldn't require much more than sticking to the meal plan and maybe 5 hours in the gym a week.

However, looking like Wolverine is a completely different ball game. That level of body fat is too physically and mentally taxing to maintain.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this is really true, especially because nearly everyone in Hollywood is traditionally handsome on top of being ripped. And at any rate, why should we reward a really small number of people at the expense of everyone else? Is their happiness so great that it makes up for the misery of everyone else?

Wouldn't it just be better if attractiveness, of all kinds, mattered a bit less, or at the very least there was room for more people to be valued and respected?
i like that if you're willing to put in a lot of effort, time, and money, you can attain an esspecially attractive physique to mitigate being physically unattractive otherwise. i think having that door open to the few people who take advantage of it does offset the downsides of unrealistic beauty standards on the general populace. the current beauty standards also encourage healthier habits to some extent (though in rarer cases, also unhealthy habits).

teague

Dec 17, 2018
i like that if you're willing to put in a lot of effort, time, and money, you can attain an esspecially attractive physique to mitigate being physically unattractive otherwise. i think having that door open to the few people who take advantage of it does offset the downsides of unrealistic beauty standards on the general populace. the current beauty standards also encourage healthier habits to some extent (though in rarer cases, also unhealthy habits).

I still feel like this isn't worth everyone's misery. Everyone would undoubtedly be happier if they weren't constantly being compared to an unrealistic standard, and the fact that some people can attain it doesn't make it ok/good. It's unfortunate that people are additionally being judged based on their facial/etc. attractiveness, but honestly I don't think there are lots of people out there who are really that traditionally unattractive but feel totally happy and at ease because they're jacked. Plus, all of this is ignoring the fact that it's not the case that everyone has the genes, time, money, or disposition to attain this standard, and so therefore some people will be punished no matter what and there's nothing they can do about it.

Do you also feel like it's ok for billionaires to have such a ridiculous amount of money and not be taxed at the expense of a lot of poverty? That seems like an exactly analogous situation in which one small group of people is hoarding a lot of resources, often unfairly, at the expense of everyone else, and I feel like, despite the supply-side economics bros, the general consensus is that this is not a great situation.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal

You are kind of discounting the thousands of people who suffer from depression due to their weight and cannot muster the effort due to it, the time because they have to work 2+ jobs just to make ends meet and the money because they barely scrape by on rent. What you think is encouraging healthier habits is actually demoralizing and demotivating for a significant enough portion of the population. Especially since it's skewing beauty standards and perceived dating standards (whether its true or not isn't the point).

It also pretty directly helps creates incels, since men who feel hopeless are more likely to fall in line with that ideology.

EDIT: It's also toxic masculinity because the "you just have to do it!" attitude of some people completely discounts mental health factors that inhibit people from "just doing it". So your line of thinking is actually at the root cause of a lot of bad attitudes.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
the downside is that it makes a lot of people feel kind of down about their bodies.

What an understatement. I guess I feel kind of down about the rampant police brutality and racism against black people. It just kind of sucks that kids are being ripped out of their parent's arms and locked in cages. It's kind of a shame that people are driven to suicide because they feel like they will never be good enough or strong enough, because everyone just naturally looks like they spend 3 hours a day in the gym in media.

OP
OP
RDreamer

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
OP's photo isn't so far fetched. A lot of looking good is diet. Exercise is important, but diet is crucial to maintaining.

Sure, a good diet, some exercise, good sleep, refraining from alcohol and smoking, and good mental health.... all things the character in that show completely and utterly lacks.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still feel like this isn't worth everyone's misery. Everyone would undoubtedly be happier if they weren't constantly being compared to an unrealistic standard, and the fact that some people can attain it doesn't make it ok/good. It's unfortunate that people are additionally being judged based on their facial/etc. attractiveness, but honestly I don't think there are lots of people out there who are really that traditionally unattractive but feel totally happy and at ease because they're jacked. Plus, all of this is ignoring the fact that it's not the case that everyone has the genes, time, money, or disposition to attain this standard, and so therefore some people will be punished no matter what and there's nothing they can do about it.

Do you also feel like it's ok for billionaires to have such a ridiculous amount of money and not be taxed at the expense of a lot of poverty? That seems like an exactly analogous situation in which one small group of people is hoarding a lot of resources, often unfairly, at the expense of everyone else, and I feel like, despite the supply-side economics bros, the general consensus is that this is not a great situation.

Nah, i'm for super high taxes for the mega rich.