• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Abs are overrated as fuck, who cares.

The insane whiteness of teeth on american shows/movies is kinda weird though. That's not how healthy, normal teeth look guys.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Riverdale is absolutely absurd with this.

Archie's beefcake brigade had me in stitches

b98c799f-1df1-4a98-9587-85fa4d3127b7-7d382046-9457-4b3c-8b1b-801c02bb2275-screen-shot-2017-11-08-at-124903-pm.png

OP
OP
RDreamer

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this is the one thing that I think is maybe getting kinda close to how bad it is for women, and also maybe everybody being waxed top-to-bottom. I'm fairly fit but in a cyclist kind of way, so I have abs but not "the six-pack" everybody on tv has... for about 1 hour every day, right after I work out and before I eat breakfast. People on tv don't like, get bloated and shit. Also I had to work really, really hard to lose an amount of weight where I had any abs at all and have struggled with body dsymorphia for a long time, so I don't mean to be one of the (many) posters here who are going "I look like this and all I do is ..." Fact is, I don't look as "good" as this, because this is a body type you can only get when the #1 thing you're going for is looking exactly like this. That's why actors all have personal trainers and do all the same exercises, because they're going for this crazy artificial ideal instead of even what an actually very fit person looks like.

Those of you who look like this and are referring to it as "fit" as if there's one way of being fit as a man, go look at some Olympica athletes and how different they look depending on what sport they do.

Yeah I think this is my thing, too. I'm cyclist fit. I do some weight lifting and have pretty toned biceps now, but my abs aren't prevalent. I bike at least 10 hours every week, but average probably 14+ hours and have for the last 4-5 years now.

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
The image is one thing, I am not saying it isn't delusional, but they way they say that they gain those bodies in 3 months just by exercising is stupid, most of them use steroids in order to gain those physiques yet they will never ever admit to it.

Like come on, this is ridiculous and every who believes they can gain 20 or 30 pounds of muscle in 3/6 months just by eating properly and exercise is way too naive:

chris-hemsworth-thor.jpg

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Hot cop in the leftovers was actually always exercising in the show. I feel the other characters were in shape but not that much, which is totally fine. I know tons of people that are in as much a shape or better than him, its not that distracting to be honest.
He def. Was. It was his outlet.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
Yeah I think this is my thing, too. I'm cyclist fit. I do some weight lifting and have pretty toned biceps now, but my abs aren't prevalent. I bike at least 10 hours every week, but average probably 14+ hours and have for the last 4-5 years now.

The only jacked cyclist ever was Lance when he was doing the full doping regimen, lol

EDIT: also if you're not, it actually helps your posture on the bike a lot to work on your core a fair amount. If you know this already and I'm being unnecessarily condescending, please yell at me and I apologize, lol.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The people in here saying that this is "easy" in any way are kidding themselves lol. If it were so easy, it wouldn't be the desired look. That plus exercising regularly and controlling your diet for a prolonged period of time isn't something that's "easy" for a lot of people. Just saying.
A lot of people are lazy. Just saying.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The image is one thing, I am not saying it isn't delusional, but they way they say that they gain those bodies in 3 months just by exercising is stupid, most of them use steroids in order to gain those physiques yet they will never ever admit to it.

Like come on, this is ridiculous and every who believes they can gain 20 or 30 pounds of muscle in 3/6 months just by eating properly and exercise is way too naive:

chris-hemsworth-thor.jpg

Yeah, most of them and I'm pretty sure Chris too are not natural. But that said, you can actually achieve the body he has without steroids with the right training and diet. Of course it will take 3-4 years minimum.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
It happened a while before the superhero craze. Just look at something like Indiana Jones in the scenes where he's shirtless. His lack of chiseled pecks and abs would be unheard of these days.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, most of them and I'm pretty sure Chris too are not natural. But that said, you can actually achieve the body he has without steroids with the right training and diet. Of course it will takes 3-4 years minimum.
Try 6-8 years naturally. It's gonna vary widely of course, but that's a huge project. I follow a trainer on IG. He looks good, but it took him around 10 years to get his physique. He claims natural.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
First person that came to my mind was Randall from this is us. I loosely follow the show when my wife has it on, but isn't he a mega nerd who's constantly busy with work?

Screen%20Shot%202018-11-21%20at%207.57.01%20AM.png

teague

Dec 17, 2018
Hey not to call anyone out but maybe a thread about unrealistic body image for men is not the place to be like "I did it, it's easy, anyone can do it if they try, if you don't or can't you're lazy"

Just a friendly thought from me to you

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, most of them and I'm pretty sure Chris is not natural. But that said, you can actually achieve the body he has without steroids with the right training and diet. Of course it will takes 3-4 years minimum.
Yep. 3 to 6 months for that is def not feasible without roids and hgh.

3 to 4 years tho? Yeah. That's doable.

Hemsworth was def on some stuff to get that body in 3 to 6 months.

I'm close to his size already. Actually I'm a couple inches shy from Frank Zane's measurements (biceps, chest, thigh, etc.). But that's taken me some years. It's just about consistency and dieting. Tho I'm lazy in dieting properly. ahah

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now now the Andy Dwyer weight loss was actually made into a joke on the show.
(Quick context: between seasons he lost a shit load of weight when he went off to film Guardians of the Galaxy)

e8jny1i35m001.jpg
Exactly what I was going to point out. The department noticed immediately, and the writers obviously put that line in there as a nod to him being gone for GoG. Get your facts straight, DigitalSpyyyyy.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is the dehydrated look, which is what you mostly see and what the guy in your picture did. You dehydrate yourself to look as ripped as possible and you do a few reps between takes. Hugh Jackman talks about how he always had headaches during shooting because he was so dehydrated. Nobody looks like that 24/7.
Indeed. I'd pick less wrinkles and preventing them over abs any day

Drink water people!

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
The people in here saying that this is "easy" in any way are kidding themselves lol. If it were so easy, it wouldn't be the desired look. That plus exercising regularly and controlling your diet for a prolonged period of time isn't something that's "easy" for a lot of people. Just saying.
it isn't hard to eat in moderation. just don't drink soda every day, have all these snacks, etc. exercise a few days a week too. getting fit isn't some super dedicated, calorie counting and weighing chicken breast type thing. just eat better and move around. like, you can do 50 push ups a day and see a notice in your shoulders, arms, and chest in a week. no one is starving either. being in shape isn't a giant task. getting a completely flat stomach with sculpted muscles all over is.

dark_prinny

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Try 6-8 years naturally. It's gonna vary widely of course, but that's a huge project. I follow a trainer on IG. He looks good, but it took him around 10 years to get his physique. He claims natural.

Depends of multiple factors, age, genetics, body type and so on.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this already existed in action movies, arnold, stalone, bruce lee and lots of 70s/80s/90s movie actions stars were very strong, but i agree that today thats a trend thats more popular in other genres of movies

teague

Dec 17, 2018
it isn't hard to eat in moderation. just don't drink soda every day, have all these snacks, etc. exercise a few days a week too. getting fit isn't some super dedicated, calorie counting and weighing chicken breast type thing. just eat better and move around. like, you can do 50 push ups a day and see a notice in your shoulders, arms, and chest in a week. no one is starving either. being in shape isn't a giant task. getting a completely flat stomach with sculpted muscles all over is.

Most people who are out of shape definitely can't do 50 push-ups a day. Everybody's starting line is a little bit different. This is still good advice but 50 push-ups might be a lot for some people and that's ok.

A lot of advice from men to other men is like

GO TO THE GYM EVERY DAY
DO 3 MAX DEADLIFT SETS
DO 3 MAX BENCH SETS
DO 40 PUSHUPS EVERY TIME YOU CRAVE SUGAR

Let's all please be nicer and not try to salvage our own insecurity by being like "getting in shape is easy you can start with a light running load of 100mi a week, haha I started with 175 but that might be too much for you" (not saying you're doing this but some people in the thread are).

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I was more referring to the latter

A lot of people are lazy. Just saying.

Sure. But I wouldn't call someone lazy for not looking how many of the guys on tv and in movies look. Also I'm not lazy for previously having a food addiction and based on everyone else in my family, having a predisposition for gaining fat and muscle relatively quickly, but losing it very slowly even with cardio and a strict calorie deficit.

Deleted member 46429

Self-requested ban
Banned
Aug 4, 2018
I feel like I've seen a fair amount of male body image discourse, but I suppose that's bound to show up in gay circles. Like, it's absolutely a thing and guys' self esteem is hurt they can't look like a hunk. And a lot of mass media male body images do not look realistic, I feel.

And, for me personally, I've never understood why hunks were considered the ideal male body image. To be frank, i don't find muscles attractive; in fact, turn me off. Idk, I might be an odd gay duck.

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, only 50 pushups every day?
How reassuring.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was more referring to the latter

Sure. But I wouldn't call someone lazy for not looking how many of the guys on tv and in movies look.

Yeah not everyone needs to look like those on tv and movies. And indeed they shouldn't. People shouldn't look to the screen for validation. It's dangerous and awful. It's disgusting.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Hey not to call anyone out but maybe a thread about unrealistic body image for men is not the place to be like "I did it, it's easy, anyone can do it if they try, if you don't or can't you're lazy"

Just a friendly thought from me to you

This isn't going to work. Everyone's going to swear that being super fit is easy as shit

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

chris-hemsworth-thor.jpg

Chris trains every single day if I'm not mistaken. Even came out with a fitness app that has you train like he does and its fuckin nutty.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
personally i like when actors that are shirtless and ripped as hell for ~1.5 minutes in a movie are later seen four months later on vacation with their families not looking ripped as hell and people are all like "oh my god what happened why is actor fat now???" because thinking someone is fat because they've actually eaten something in the past three hours, are properly hydrated, aren't flexing, aren't wearing make up, aren't oiled up, and aren't in lighting specifically crafted for them is an incredibly healthy way of looking at other people.

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OK? 45. do 15. rest a minute. do another 15. rest a minute. do another 15. not all at once.
like, 15 push ups isn't hard if you push yourself through it. you can even start at a lower count.

like, what do you expect?

Some people can't do 2 when they start. You know that right?

Well anyway I'm going to duck out of this thread now, I'm going through enough without needing people saying that the thing I've battled with for years is "easy". I'm making good progress with my body image and fitness but this thread is bumming me out, so I'm out.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
OK? 45. do 15. rest a minute. do another 15. rest a minute. do another 15. not all at once.
like, 15 push ups isn't hard if you push yourself through it. you can even start at a lower count.

like, what do you expect?

I think the point is that the number you quoted is unrealistic for someone who's getting in shape for the first time, when you could have said something that wouldn't scare someone off, like 5-10 in a day. Also, doing 50 push-ups with perfect form is not easy, especially for people who aren't naturally strong in their upper body. I agree with your advice that you have to start somewhere, but the number you said might scare some people off.

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in pretty good shape, lift weights 3 times a week, strict diet for the last six months.

Let me assure you, it's hard work and dedication. Sure it becomes routine pretty quickly, but it's not 'easy'.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, male body image in (mainly) US tv shows and movies are ridiculous. I was actually positively surprised when Asa Butterfield in Sex Education went shirtless and he just looks like a regular scrawny dude. I am so conditionned by Hollywood that I was expecting him to be hiding a six pack under there.

One of the most ridiculous ones I encountered is this:

VainVigilantCockatoo-poster.jpg

Look, I love The Edge of Seventeen. It's a great coming of age movie, but this is just ridiculous. This guy is the awkward nerd-type character. He's painfully unsuccessful with the ladies and his big idea for a romantic gesture is making a cringey dorky flash animation movie. However, he also happens to have a perfect six-pack and a great body. The craziest thing about the scene isn't necessarily his body (I guess you could make an argument that a lonely rich kid would spend a lot of time in his home gym), no it's how Hailee Steinfeld doesn't even acknowledge this. How does this teen girl not notice that this guy has pretty much literally the perfect body?

Then again, I guess The Edge of Seventeen does it both ways around, since Hailee Steinfeld is also playing some unattractive loser, while in fact she's absolutely gorgeous.

I'm a regular person and I'm way fitter than him. What is really the problem here? I don't get it.
Cool Stealth bragging post.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
So looking at the replies in here I'm thinking two things:

1) Anyone skinnier than me is lazy?

2) Anyone bigger than me must be on 'roids?

Is that about right?

teague

Dec 17, 2018
One of the most ridiculous ones I encountered is this:

VainVigilantCockatoo-poster.jpg

Look, I love The Edge of Seventeen. It's a great coming of age movie, but this is just ridiculous. This guy is the awkward nerd-type character. He's painfully unsuccessful with the ladies and his big idea for a romantic gesture is making a cringey dorky flash animation movie. However, he also happens to have a perfect six-pack and a great body. The craziest thing about the scene isn't necessarily his body (I guess you could make an argument that a lonely rich kid would spend a lot of time in his home gym), no it's how Hailee Steinfeld doesn't even acknowledge this. How does this teen girl not notice that this guy has pretty much literally the perfect body?

Then again, I guess The Edge of Seventeen does it both ways around, since Hailee Steinfeld is also playing some unattractive loser, while in fact she's absolutely gorgeous.

Yeah I was struck by this one in particular too. Hollywood does poorly with nerdy-types already without making all of them "secretly" jacked.