• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
The Theroux physique is something I see quite frequently at my rock climbing gym. Athletes, pro or otherwise, take their sport seriously, and their physique is a reflection of their dedication. If you watch pick up ball, sure you'll see some people with average physiques, but you'll also see people in fantastic shape. Or go to a gymnastics gym. Whether the physique in the OP is common or unrealistic depends on your surroundings and lifestyle. If you're athletic and play a sport where being lean and muscular is advantageous to excel, it's more common, and it has nothing to do with toxic body image.
OP is saying that character wouldn't have any of those traits though.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As attractive as Keanu Reeves may be, I don't think he fits the topic of too buff/cut.

keanu-reeves-china-chow-saint-tropez-04.jpg

The problem is that if men are shown half naked in blockbuster movies, they don't look like that. At least not when they are shown in a positive light.
I think the discussion won't be productive if we mix "generally attractive" and "peak physique" as if those are the same. That's also not what the OP was getting at.

Is this the reason why we only see Keanu's back in the John Wick movies when he's shirtless? He doesn't look insanely muscular so they decided not to show his chest and torso?

laminated

Oct 28, 2017
OP is saying that character wouldn't have any of those traits though.

you're right I didn't read the OP carefully enough. I agree that while I do see body types similar to Thoreau's on a regular basis - really - not everyone I see day to day looks like that, only in very isolated environments (gym), so body type variety in media is something that is lacking.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Are people in this thread actually saying that Justin Theroux (at least in the show Leftovers) not being cut or fit? And no training is needed to apply because all it takes is being "skinny" to look like him/that? Cause that is the most ridiculous statement I've head my entire life. To keep that body he needs to be in a strict diet, lots of running and hitting the weights. He has a great physic that needs a lot of maintenance.

w00tmanUK

Nov 9, 2017
I think anyone who says that physique is not impressive needs to put up a picture of themselves at this stage, as whilst it might not be extraordinary in the way the Thor-body is, it must be top 1%. To be dismissive is disingenuous if, as I suspect, it's people just trolling.

Interesting topic and one that, at mid-30s and overweight but working on it, I've certainly felt pressure over. That said, if it's enough pressure to get me to do something about it, maybe that's no bad thing.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
people need to realize that Chris Pratt had a paid trainer by the studio

if any of us got money raining down and a paid trainer, we would all look like him in GoTG1

reality, girls dig dad bods so aim for that instead

Stiflers Mom

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
44 years now, and started "body recomposition" a few months ago after my split up with my gf.
I was and still am at 71 kilograms at 1,75m height, but lost a lot of body fat and gained some muscles over the last few months, so I am starting to see a lot more definition on my body. My goal is to have a six pack being visible in about two more months of this regimen.

I am not doing anything spectacular, probably not more than 10 minutes a day of lifting bells, lift ups, etc. I have to admit though, I am not going for the super muscular body builder look. More like lean and defined.

The hardest part is to begin with this. I started with 10 lift ups, and going on. Now I can do 50.

Started with intermittent fasting, but in the meantime I kind of adapted to eating less food and can do now without the fasting (I am drinking a cappucino in the morning, which I need for my mental well being ;) ) and still lose fat.

From my perspective, the most important thing is to keep going with it.

Find a regimen that's acceptable to you, and doesn't rob you of all the fun in life. I still drink a beer or two with my friends a couple of times in a week, for instance, but I keep an overall eye on my calorie intake. Eating rice waffles instead of bread for instance and less carb stuff in general. Which works for me.

tl;dr:
Keep grinding, and you will see results.. (and believe me, these results will make you motivated to keep going)

OP
OP
RDreamer

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm past 40 and have no problem being fit with at max 3 sessions per week, and, the most important part, healthy diet. But perhaps even that is ridiculous, I don't know.

And you look like this:

27-justin-theroux-2.w330.h330.jpg

Not saying it's impossible, but the discussion isn't about "being fit." I've emphasized this over and over again. There are a lot of body looks that are perfectly fit.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
The CW is a prime example of physical perfection for every character. It makes it too unbelievable at times.

At this point, I don't think Riverdale is supposed to be believable. In fact, most of their term dramas are in very fanciful worlds.

If you want a semi sort of realistic (looking and acting) high school drama from the CW, there is All American.

i'd work out more but im always tripping over my dick when i try.

Think of it as a business opportunity. You could bring the sock garter back into fashion. 😉

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
First person that came to my mind was Randall from this is us. I loosely follow the show when my wife has it on, but isn't he a mega nerd who's constantly busy with work?

Screen%20Shot%202018-11-21%20at%207.57.01%20AM.png

Randall constantly goes to the gym and for outdoor runs, within the show itself. Pretty much whenever he's got a heavy load on his mind he works out, so this one isn't actually all that unrealistic or surprising.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And you look like this:

27-justin-theroux-2.w330.h330.jpg

Not saying it's impossible, but the discussion isn't about "being fit." I've emphasized this over and over again. There are a lot of body looks that are perfectly fit.

He's only 175cm and 72kg that's a doable number for anyone of that height. He looks around 12 - 15% body fat in that pic which doesn't need stupid training to achieve. That's 6-8 months of beginner body building assuming you aren't overweight before starting and of a similar frame and height.

If you are broad or big boned or any blocky build then you could never achieve that body type so an unrealistic body goal if you fall in that category as it requires a slim frame.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
T0oDXLU.png

• Lift weights six days a week
  • Run three miles a day
  • Cut out carbs and sugar
  • Cut out alcohol
  • Sleep nine hours a night
  • Get your rich network bosses to foot the bill for an expensive celebrity trainer
"I don't know why everyone's not doing this," McElhenney writes. "It's a super realistic lifestyle and an appropriate body image to compare oneself to."

yes he's being sarcastic
He forgot to mention HGH

This is him off-cycle

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
In The Leftovers, Justin Theroux is the chief of police. I'm sure that working out is something he can do on the clock. I could also see someone in his mental state just not eating enough. I could see it.

OP
OP
RDreamer

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
He's only 175cm and 72kg that's a doable number for anyone of that height. He looks around 12 - 15% body fat in that pic which doesn't need stupid training to achieve. That's 6-8 months of beginner body building assuming you aren't overweight before starting and of a similar frame and height.

If you are broad or big boned or any blocky build then you could never achieve that body type so an unrealistic body goal if you fall in that category as it requires a slim frame.

Do you people even read the fucking thread or the posts you're quoting?

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

We see a lot in the 'Sexualized Women' thread on gaming side where people give us the "fantasy vs. reality" rebuttal.

It's JUST a video game. It's JUST a TV show. It's JUST media and people KNOW not to take it seriously...

Fact is, most people DON'T know
that and many people let their view of media alter their thoughts and perceptions whether you're aware of it or not.

Life imitates art, art imitates life. And we highly highly underestimate just how much we are influenced by external sources.

aSniperJones

Oct 26, 2017
District of Columbia
Most people with athletics bodies are NOT and have NEVER taken enhancement supplements. If we're speaking of entertainers, to include professional athletes the probability is higher. Still, it's not as common as assumed, especially with the physiques of the actors I've seen posted; They're natural obtainable, barring your natural body composition (ecto, endo, or meso)

The people alluding to substance enhance irk me because I'm athletic, heathy diet (vegan), have a decent physique, in my opinion better than some of those posted, and I have NEVER touched an enhancement drug. Furthermore, my lifestyle outside of eating healthy and hitting the gym isn't much difference from the average. so that "people with normal lifestyle" shit is a bit bothersome too.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

He looks great.
Instagram created a culture of people believing all men can achieve naturally what models and bodybuilders do for a living, roided as fuck.

Let's dehydrate, take some pics and put some disingenous af inspirational quotes on this! Oh and also a link to my personal program of diet and excercise that will not even put you close to my physique!

OP
OP
RDreamer

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
They're natural obtainable, bearing your natural body composition (ecto, endo, or meso)
Dude these fucking people are doing INTENSE workouts and diets for months leading to a scene and then not drinking for 36+ hours. They're doing reps between sets to get things to pop more, too. It's obtainable but not sustainable and not a realistic fucking look if you have to dehydrate for days to get there.

The fucking thread has never been about how obtainable this has been and I wish people would get that through their skull.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017

I was hating on dad-bod earlier in this thread. Dad bod is not great looking, and as someone WITH one, I'd be happy to admit I'm less attractive than I'd like to be.

Jason does NOT have a Dad Bod there. He looks great. If this is what women think is a Dad Bod, then fine, I was wrong earlier in the thread.