• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

aSniperJones

Oct 26, 2017
District of Columbia
Dude these fucking people are doing INTENSE workouts and diets for months leading to a scene and then not drinking for 36+ hours. They're doing reps between sets to get things to pop more, too. It's obtainable but not sustainable and not a realistic fucking look if you have to dehydrate for days to get there.

The fucking thread has never been about how obtainable this has been and I wish people would get that through their skull.

This isn't necessary to sustain their aesthetic once obtained. Ebb and flow from ones peak athletic physique will and should happen, but it's not an extreme fall-off if maintained properly.

...and discussing 'obtainability' is simply a by-product of the topic at hand. It's not meant to be disruptive.

OP
OP
RDreamer

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't necessary to sustain their aesthetic once obtained. Ebb and flow from ones peak athletic physique will and should happen, but it's not an extreme fall-off if maintained properly.

...and discussing 'obtainability' is simply a by-product of the topic at hand. It's not meant to be disruptive.

As discussed previously in the thread, women have body issues in mainstream media, too. Models were basically fucking coat hangers for a while there. That physique is very attainable. Could you imagine a thread where people pop in to just say "Hey all you have to do is not eat more than 500 calories a day! You'll be like that in 6-8 months, no problem." No, because that's fucking ridiculous.

Yes you can get and sustain a very fit body relatively easily depending on your life situation and privilege, but the this thread is talking about media prevalence of the highest tier physique, not just being fit. It's so overinflated in media that these men have to dehydrate themselves to attain it for mere minutes, but the audience just believes they live like that. My point has been throughout that there should be more fit bodies throughout. Mamoa's currently a very good example. That body is ridiculously fit. But if we saw it nowadays in a super hero movie or something we'd think something was up. People are saying he's taking a break or god forbid he's actually got a dad bod or something. But that body still would mean a shit-ton of work to maintain. That's where things get unrealistic.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
hopefully this jason momoa stuff is the death knell of people using "dad bod" to refer to "people built like professional athletes who aren't flexing"

PayOffWizard

Oct 27, 2017
Manchester England
I walked in when my GF was watching an episode of a crappy Nextflix show What/if, and one of the characters is ashamed of his "dadbod".....

Here's the guy in question.
tumblr_ps1hy4mTvY1xo1jmzo1_540.gif

Ummm Netflix, i don't think that word means what you think it means.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you people even read the fucking thread or the posts you're quoting?

Yes and I replied to the opening post properly. But you saying that it's a high bar, it's not. Not even close, it's very achievable with simple methods you just need to be consistent. Whilst perhaps too much for the show itself if the depiction of the character as you described is correct it's not a ridiculous physique.

OP
OP
RDreamer

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Yes and I replied to the opening post properly. But you saying that it's a high bar, it's not. Not even close, it's very achievable with simple methods you just need to be consistent. Whilst perhaps too much for the show itself if the depiction of the character as you described is correct it's not a ridiculous physique.

In what world is that body not a high bar? If it weren't then more people would have bodies like that. They don't. To compare to your figures of him I'm personally 190cm, 68kg. I don't look even remotely as shredded as that, probably because I fucking drink water. I also admit what I do to obtain that is a privileged position.

The high bar i'm talking about isn't how obtainable it is for one person. It's about how obtainable it is for a preponderance of people. There are many more easily attainable body types that are more prevalent and also very fucking healthy that are not so insanely ripped they had to not drink water for nearly two days.

Women obtaining a stick figure physique is also very attainable with very simple methods, too! But body image in media isn't about how easy it is to look like that. It's not about how many fucking steps it requires.

If it's so easy then back it up with some pics. You say you look better. Fucking show us then.

EroticSushi

Oct 25, 2017
There's a meme about this which makes me laugh every time. Apparently Christopher Judge got Michael Shanks into lifting on set.

I suppose it sort of makes sense given that Daniel ends up as some sort of black ops guy at the end of the series.

I think the moment we stepped over the line was Hugh Jackman in The Wolverine:

CVJnAfk.jpg

And the creepiest example of the dehydration thing from recent years was definitely Zack Efron in that Baywatch reboot. His skin looked like leather.
I was watching Baywatch the other day and holy hell what was Efron's body? Dude had NEGATIVE body fat. You can see his individual muscle fiber.

It looked like someone took a vacuum and suctioned his skin down.

He1hik4.png

DeJqvv6.png

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
It really isnt as hard to look good as people think. Most just suffer from a shitty diet and non belief more than lack of exercise. You could do a round of T25 and not eat like a dumbass and look great and T25 is less than half an hour a day.

OP
OP
RDreamer

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
It really isnt as hard to look good as people think. Most just suffer from a shitty diet and non belief more than lack of exercise. You could do a round of T25 and not eat like a dumbass and look great and T25 is less than half an hour a day.

The thread isn't about looking great and in fact I've made that painfully fucking obvious nearly every post. Yes it's not hard to look good. It's not that hard to be fit. There are many fit body types, but Hollywood shows one particular body type that requires dehydration and extreme levels of work prior to a few minutes of a shoot and less of most other body types. That's the issue.

JetBazooka

Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Im a straight guy and when I see ripped dudes im just like, " wow that dude is ripped!" "He's a Bad ass!" I never seen any other guy in real life say anything different. Its the same thing I say when someone can sing great, draw great, etc. Matter of fact I learn how they got to that point and add some of what they do to my own life.

OP
OP
RDreamer

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Im a straight guy and when I see ripped dudes im just like, " wow that dude is ripped!" "He's a Bad ass!" I never seen any other guy in real life say anything different. Its the same thing I say when someone can sing great, draw great, etc. Matter of fact I learn how they got to that point and add some of what they do to my own life.

Sure, if I see a random ripped dude I would think that. But does it make you question things a bit to know these actors largely do not want to do this? The prevalence of it makes them feel self conscious even if it's not explicitly pushed on them which a lot of times it absolutely is.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Sure, if I see a random ripped dude I would think that. But does it make you question things a bit to know these actors largely do not want to do this? The prevalence of it makes them feel self conscious even if it's not explicitly pushed on them which a lot of times it absolutely is.

I mean I dont want to do at least 70% of the shit I do at work. Thats the job.

Nov 17, 2017

Didn't know becoming a dad made you buff as fuck.

Honestly, I look better than the guy in the OP and I don't even go to the gym. I just ride my bike to work everyday and subsist off a diet of sunlight, water and microbes. I don't know why people think it's unrealistic. Get off the couch every once in awhile!

I've also heard "wow that dude is ripped!" "He's a bad ass!" and it's come with "I wish I was that buff", "I'm so fat/scrawny/flabby/etc." I mean the other week we had a thread by a guy who was worried about going to the beach with a girl because he thought he was fat and that all the other guys at the beach were better looking than him. Of course he looked totally fine and he eventually embraced his shirtlessness and had a great time and the girl didn't care. But the point is there are definitely people who look at those crazy ripped bodies and feel inadequate.

OP
OP
RDreamer

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I dont want to do at least 70% of the shit I do at work. Thats the job.

The job is acting. Why do we demand that they dehydrate for days on end and do ridiculous workouts when they could look really fucking fit without that. Why do we demand Aquaman Mamoa and not that recent pic of Mamoa?

JetBazooka

Banned
Jan 25, 2018
The best actors usually try and fit the part. Whats the guy from the dark knight trilogy? He once lost a ton of weight to fit a part. Thats what actors do. Some aren't that dedicated and of course they would rather do less work by not working out then more work by having to work out. Wolverine is a freak of nature.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In what world is that body not a high bar? If it weren't then more people would have bodies like that. They don't. To compare to your figures of him I'm personally 190cm, 68kg. I don't look even remotely as shredded as that, probably because I fucking drink water. I also admit what I do to obtain that is a privileged position.

The high bar i'm talking about isn't how obtainable it is for one person. It's about how obtainable it is for a preponderance of people. There are many more easily attainable body types that are more prevalent and also very fucking healthy that are not so insanely ripped they had to not drink water for nearly two days.

Women obtaining a stick figure physique is also very attainable with very simple methods, too! But body image in media isn't about how easy it is to look like that. It's not about how many fucking steps it requires.

If it's so easy then back it up with some pics. You say you look better. Fucking show us then.

As somebody who is really into exercising and has done it for years everything apart from your weight and height to why you don't look like that is utter bollocks. His height to weight ratio says it all to why it is achievable. He also has a spray tan, oil, water and a slight pump.

He is much shorter than you and heavier than you that's why you don't look like that. You are also tall so likely have long tendons, and how fat rests on your body is likely different if you don't have a six pack at that weight. Tall guys need to be much heavier to show muscle, that would be around around 80kg for somebody of your height.

68kg to 80kg is very little go do the maths and you will see how achievable it is. We aren't talking hours either we are talking around 30 mins 3 days a week, push/pull/legs split on a calorie surplus of about 200 and you are getting the correct amount of protein, fats and macros.

That is not a dehydrated look. He has a bicep vein, that's it. Which on most guys is a genetic thing you have it or you don't. A dehydrated one digit fat percentage skin is like paper and face looks like somebody who is anorexic.

Out of all the examples you could have given you have given somebody who doesn't do crazy shit but somebody who trains like an athlete where their progression isn't around aesthetics but rather performance.

I also never said I looked better.

OP
OP
RDreamer

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
The best actors usually try and fit the part. Whats the guy from the dark knight trilogy? He once lost a ton of weight to fit a part. Thats what actors do. Some aren't that dedicated and of course they would rather do less work by not working out then more work by having to work out. Wolverine is a freak of nature.

The thread was about the fact that a lot of times that sort of body does not fit the part. Or at least isn't really common with that sort of person. Kevin in Leftovers should probably look more like Hopper in Stranger Things S1 or much worse.

And this also doesn't explain why the same sort of parts, super heroes, keep getting buffer and buffer. If it was just about fitting the part and there wasn't social pressure we'd expect the part to stay largely similar. Even Wolverine has gotten more and more fucking ripped as time goes by. If you compare super heroes in the 80s and 90s to now the comparison couldn't be more ridiculous.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
The job is acting. Why do we demand that they dehydrate for days on end and do ridiculous workouts when they could look really fucking fit without that. Why do we demand Aquaman Mamoa and not that recent pic of Mamoa?

They took the role, breh, no one forced him to be Aquaman or Hugh to be Wolverine. They took it seriously and decided they wanted to look the part of a superhero. If you listen to any of them talk about it the only ones really demanding it are them of themselves, mostly.

OP
OP
RDreamer

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
They took the role, breh, no one forced him to be Aquaman or Hugh to be Wolverine. They took it seriously and decided they wanted to look the part of a superhero. If you listen to any of them talk about it the only ones really demanding it are them of themselves, mostly.

So we should have been fine all along with women needing to be basically anorexic for roles? They took it!

Also, christ do you not understand social pressure? They're demanding it of themselves because it's demanded externally. They demand it because if not they'll look off compared to others.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I walked in when my GF was watching an episode of a crappy Nextflix show What/if, and one of the characters is ashamed of his "dadbod".....

Here's the guy in question.
tumblr_ps1hy4mTvY1xo1jmzo1_540.gif

Ummm Netflix, i don't think that word means what you think it means.

Lmao I've been watching this show with my girlfriend and that was the stupidest shit ever, as is the rest of the show.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
So we should have been fine all along with women needing to be basically anorexic for roles? They took it!

Also, christ do you not understand social pressure? They're demanding it of themselves because it's demanded externally. They demand it because if not they'll look off compared to others.

What? Who said anything about women. My initial post was in response to the picture in the OP, which is not some insane unobtainable goal. My 2nd was a direct response to the Momoa comment.

I know what social pressure is, and maybe it plays in a bit but it is more the actors taking on the role. Just listen to any of them talk about it, there are tons of interviewers who ask. I dont understand why you are so vehemently arguing against actors doing their job. If they didnt achieve the look the studio or director wanted, then they would get another actor who would take it more seriously.

OP
OP
RDreamer

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
What? Who said anything about women. My initial post was in response to the picture in the OP, which is not some insane unobtainable goal. My 2nd was a direct response to the Momoa comment.

I did. The anorexic look isn't some insane unobtainable goal either but it reeks havoc on their psychological state, their body, and on our image of how women's bodies should be.

Your exact reasoning can and has been used for women, too.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I need to stop going into threads discussing the latest silly Twitter outbursts. They are always depressing me so much...

Twitter thinks Jason Mamoa has an ugly body now? Really? Ugh...

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
I did. The anorexic look isn't some insane unobtainable goal either but it reeks havoc on their psychological state, their body, and on our image of how women's bodies should be.

Your exact reasoning can and has been used for women, too.

Ok well that isn't what the thread was about, or what I was talking about. Or you. So im just gonna go ahead and bounce lol

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
LOL @ Men's Health. They've contributed to this nonsense for years with their cover models.

aSniperJones

Oct 26, 2017
District of Columbia
media prevalence of the highest tier physique... so overinflated in media that these men have to dehydrate themselves to attain it for mere minutes, but the audience just believes they live like that. My point has been throughout that there should be more fit bodies throughout.

Some of these theses entertainers are fit, but not of the highest tier fit; It's not dehydration super difficult unsustainable fit. BUT, Aesthetics are very subjective. I believe people may not know how fit ones body can be with fitness and nutrition consistency that's not disruptive to ones currently lifestyle.

Mamoa's currently a very good example. That body is ridiculously fit.

It's not ridiculously fit, and neither of us are wrong. The man looks good though.

On Topic: I'm all for the entertainment industry having representation of all body types, shapes, and sizes. How does the average American male look?

Oct 28, 2017
68kg to 80kg is very little go do the maths and you will see how achievable it is. We aren't talking hours either we are talking around 30 mins 3 days a week, push/pull/legs split on a calorie surplus of about 200 and you are getting the correct amount of protein, fats and macros.

a) Who the fuck does PPL three days a week? And 30 minutes? Give me a break.
b) 68-80kg is absolutely a huge jump. Even assuming newbie gains, most people struggle to gain 0.5-1lb a week with a proper diet. Putting on (muscle) weight consistently with proper macros is far more difficult than losing weight and most people don't have the lifestyles to support meticulous macro tracking.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
a) Who the fuck does PPL three days a week? And 30 minutes? Give me a break.
b) 68-80kg is absolutely a huge jump. Even assuming newbie gains, most people struggle to gain 0.5-1lb a week with a proper diet. Putting on (muscle) weight consistently with proper macros is far more difficult than losing weight and most people don't have the lifestyles to support meticulous macro tracking.

Beginners. That's pretty much the recommended beginner workout especially for hard gainers who fatigue easy and need more rest between workouts.

I can only speak for myself but I was hitting those numbers without much problem at all. I wasn't being meticulous just making sure I hit general numbers each day and focusing on full effort and form with constant progression.

Considering a beginner PPL is 4 exercises of three sets in reps of ten with 2-3 mins rest you should be hitting a 30 - 40 mins window unless faffing.

w00tmanUK

Nov 9, 2017
The people alluding to substance enhance irk me because I'm athletic, heathy diet (vegan), have a decent physique, in my opinion better than some of those posted, and I have NEVER touched an enhancement drug. Furthermore, my lifestyle outside of eating healthy and hitting the gym isn't much difference from the average. so that "people with normal lifestyle" shit is a bit bothersome too.

bold claim - show us pictures - I know a few people with physiques on par posted here and all have at least *tried* some of the mentioned supplements..

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We are working on a TV show and had dinner and meetings with our lead actor yesterday and he's sculpting a new physique for the role and it is INTENSE. Like, his diet is no joke and he's putting on weight and muscle mass. His trainer is just made of abs. On his arms, face, you name it, abs galore. He's also the only person who ever lifted up our Brute Hammer prop without wrenching something. It's like Mjolnir. We had a Seahawks linebacker struggle with it...

OP
OP
RDreamer

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
We are working on a TV show and had dinner and meetings with our lead actor yesterday and he's sculpting a new physique for the role and it is INTENSE. Like, his diet is no joke and he's putting on weight and muscle mass. His trainer is just made of abs. On his arms, face, you name it, abs galore. He's also the only person who ever lifted up our Brute Hammer prop without wrenching something. It's like Mjolnir. We had a Seahawks linebacker struggle with it...

We're getting shirtless master chief aren't we?

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Jason Mamoa even still has some slightly visible abdominal muscle in that picture. More or less what your supposed to look like when staying fit year round.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Running in sand, deep sand. Fuck that.

Oct 28, 2017
Beginners. That's pretty much the recommended beginner workout especially for hard gainers who fatigue easy and need more rest between workouts.

I can only speak for myself but I was hitting those numbers without much problem at all. I wasn't being meticulous just making sure I hit general numbers each day and focusing on full effort and form with constant progression.

Considering a beginner PPL is 4 exercises of three sets in reps of ten with 2-3 mins rest you should be hitting a 30 - 40 mins window unless faffing.

Stronglifts/Starting Strength or some variation thereof are the most frequently-recommended routines for beginners. If you are actually doing PPL 3 days a week, you are hitting each muscle group once over the course of 7 days and are hence wasting your time. PPL routines are also typically 5-6 exercises with 3-5 sets for each. Inclusive of proper warm-ups for compound lifts and I have severe doubts that you can do that in 30 minutes.

Oct 27, 2017
Men's health weighing in on the Jason Momoa thing is some BS, like have they never looked at any of their own magazine covers for a start.

We're getting shirtless master chief aren't we?

Oh god Stinkles please don't let this be true, it would be terri—

Shirtless, but he still wears the helmet.

...actually y'know what, I'll forgive you only if you do this. It should be one of those comedic DVD outtakes or something though.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stronglifts/Starting Strength or some variation thereof are the most frequently-recommended routines for beginners. If you are actually doing PPL 3 days a week, you are hitting each muscle group once over the course of 7 days and are hence wasting your time. PPL routines are also typically 5-6 exercises with 3-5 sets for each. Inclusive of proper warm-ups for compound lifts and I have severe doubts that you can do that in 30 minutes.

A decent 3 day PPL should be focused around compound lifts so should be using muscle groups three times a week but only once as the core focus. The progression and success rate from it is great and has a high percentage of people moving on to more advanced splits. As long as you aren't waiting on somebody to do the exercises you will be good to go in a short period of time.

I started on a full body split and wish I'd done a three day PPL as it's loads easier. I do a PPL now and finds it far more effective although it's not a 3 day.

Elshoelace

Oct 25, 2017
The thread was about the fact that a lot of times that sort of body does not fit the part. Or at least isn't really common with that sort of person. Kevin in Leftovers should probably look more like Hopper in Stranger Things S1 or much worse.

And this also doesn't explain why the same sort of parts, super heroes, keep getting buffer and buffer. If it was just about fitting the part and there wasn't social pressure we'd expect the part to stay largely similar. Even Wolverine has gotten more and more fucking ripped as time goes by. If you compare super heroes in the 80s and 90s to now the comparison couldn't be more ridiculous.
Listen OP I think you just don't know normal people. I know plenty of black out drunks that chainsmoke and look way better than Kevin does in the Leftovers. Plus remember that one time he went for a run so he could smoke, that should be more than enough to get you ripped.

Deleted member 50454

Banned
Dec 5, 2018

Sounds like an awful life to me.