• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
I remember growing up as a kid and watching shows about high school... I would always think, "Wow. None of these people look like they are in high school" lol

But they unintentionally and intentionally push a narrative of being attractive. Sometimes it can be a motivation to get healthier but usually... its pushing unrealistic bodies lol

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I remember growing up as a kid and watching shows about high school... I would always think, "Wow. None of these people look like they are in high school" lol

But they unintentionally and intentionally push a narrative of being attractive. Sometimes it can be a motivation to get healthier but usually... its pushing unrealistic bodies lol
Most of the time they're people in their 20's or 30's pretending to be in highschool

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Yeah, I'd like to see a return to the 50s-70s male aesthetic. The poster child for that in my eyes is Charleton Heston in The Ten Commandments: obviously a strong, fit dude, even if there's not a six pack to speak of.

Or what about the best Bond ever?

sean_connery_thunderball__1965____colourized_by_ecolorcollaboration-dafp66y.jpg

fallingedge

Oct 25, 2017
Most people with athletics bodies are NOT and have NEVER taken enhancement supplements. If we're speaking of entertainers, to include professional athletes the probability is higher. Still, it's not as common as assumed, especially with the physiques of the actors I've seen posted; They're natural obtainable, barring your natural body composition (ecto, endo, or meso)

The people alluding to substance enhance irk me because I'm athletic, heathy diet (vegan), have a decent physique, in my opinion better than some of those posted, and I have NEVER touched an enhancement drug. Furthermore, my lifestyle outside of eating healthy and hitting the gym isn't much difference from the average. so that "people with normal lifestyle" shit is a bit bothersome too.

The drug claims get thrown around based off the time frame the transformation happens. A lot of these physiques are attainable natty, just how quick they achieve them raises eyebrows.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
This isn't necessary to sustain their aesthetic once obtained. Ebb and flow from ones peak athletic physique will and should happen, but it's not an extreme fall-off if maintained properly.

Already being fit/toned does make certain looks more achievable tho. If you look at Gerard Butler in 300; or Hemsworth in the first Thor; those are two already (very) fit guys being put on a strict, intense plan.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Most of the time they're people in their 20's or 30's pretending to be in highschool

It's just easier to work with grown ups in the US for a variety of reasons, especially considering the subjects teen dramas typically try to tackle.

Not that the CW doesn't have a huge problem. It's still possible to cast adults that look like kids and not international supermodels.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018

I don't know if it was just well-considered writing and casting or me just gettin' old but that Spider-Man movie was like the first time I saw a teen-focused movie and really properly believed those kids were, like, actually highschoolers.

The exact opposite phenomenon to this was probably Stand and Deliver where the dude who is teaching the kids in the school looks like he's maybe 10 years older than them despite the whole heart attack thing.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this thread is reaffirming that I have odd genetics (even being the clear runt in my family height/weight/athletics-wise), because I've never had to really struggle to look like some of these bodies y'all are claiming are actually just unhealthy idealizations.

I get we all have different shapes, but damn...

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if it was just well-considered writing and casting or me just gettin' old but that Spider-Man movie was like the first time I saw a teen-focused movie and really properly believed those kids were, like, actually highschoolers.
It's why Aunt May is so old in the Raimi movies and so young in the MCU ones. You can't have a 40 year old playing the aunt of a 30 year old highschooler and you can't have a teenager have a 70 year old aunt

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lol that's what's so funny about "dad bod". Some people use it for anyone who's not shredded. Others for dudes with a huge gut.

yeah, whenever people here start ranting about dad bods, I just roll my eyes. It's too vague, and too many people think it means not being shredded.

OP
OP
RDreamer

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this thread is reaffirming that I have odd genetics (even being the clear runt in my family height/weight/athletics-wise), because I've never had to really struggle to look like some of these bodies y'all are claiming are actually just unhealthy idealizations.

I get we all have different shapes, but damn...

Sure, you barely do anything and poof you look just like Thor.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, you barely do anything and poof you look just like Thor.

I didn't say I (or anybody) don't do anything.

I said it's not really a struggle for me.

If you wanna have an actual discussion about this, you should probably drop the disingenuous snark and reply to what's actually being said.

AtomLung

Oct 25, 2017
Modern media keeps trying to tell me my dad gut is irresistible. I look chubby, but I feel so sexy.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017

If you wanna have an actual discussion about this, you should probably drop the disingenuous snark and reply to what's actually being said.

The thread is about how there are ripped actors who spend all day in the gym playing characters that don't do anything. This leads to the thought process that these are normal baseline bodies, and that if you do actually start working out you look like Hemsworth or Evans. When people go to the gym and after a year look like the baseline body, they blame themselves and not the unfair image that society has forced on them. It leads to bigorexia, it leads to people starving themselves and it leads to suicide.

People think Tom Holland is just "normal" people think that going to the gym 3 times a week for 6 months will make them look like The Rock. You and I know that is wrong, but kids are growing up seeing these things and it's seeping into their subconscious and hurting men (and women) in the long run.

OP
OP
RDreamer

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

You don't think it's a little rude to hop into a body image thread where we discuss actors that literally dehydrate themselves for days on top of crazy workouts for months with professional trainers to get this look and you're just like well it's not a struggle for me.

Like coming into a thread about poverty and saying that having a personal jet isn't a struggle for you.

But sure you can let us know how you do it. I also wanna know in addition to time put in do you have a partner and/or kids? How about a 40-50 hour per week job? Because stuff like that is a baseline to get past for the average person.

w00tmanUK

Nov 9, 2017
ASniperJones - legit Marvel body, amazing. Thanks for putting it out there, the first to do so. How much blood, sweat & tears to get where you are? presumably more than the "lol i just look like that its ez" guy above?

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't think it's a little rude to hop into a body image thread where we discuss actors that literally dehydrate themselves for days on top of crazy workouts for months with professional trainers to get this look and you're just like well it's not a struggle for me.

Like coming into a thread about poverty and saying that having a personal jet isn't a struggle for you.

But sure you can let us know how you do it. I also wanna know in addition to time put in do you have a partner and/or kids? How about a 40-50 hour per week job? Because stuff like that is a baseline to get past for the average person.

I said looking like some (and I stress, "some") of these bodies isn't really difficult for me, while also admitting I'm pretty blessed genetically. I didn't say it wasn't a big deal.

I work an average of 50 hours a week (upwards of 65 during the spring and month of September), and I have an 8 year old. My girlfriend and I have also more or less lived together for 5 years, and been together for 7, so having a busy personal life isn't really an obstacle I'm unfamiliar with. I go to the gym 3 times a week and run for a few miles about once or so a week. I've also never had a problem with eating healthy (though my appetite is the first thing to go during my frequent bouts with depression, which increases the rate at which I lose weight I don't actually want to lose, a routine problem for me with my metabolism), and water is pretty much all I drink. A lot of that I owe to my parents, who were always about making sure my brother and I ate healthily, even when we didn't have much else as young kids.

I know it ain't the norm, but it's always been wild to me how out of the norm it is that it's so easy for me to be fit, especially since I don't typically look at a lot of these examples in this thread as being unrealistic or unattainable. They're just...fit guys.

I wish more people saw exercise as just something they had to do, akin to eating. I don't expect people to be as disciplined or successful with it as I am, but even a minimal amount of effort and change in their diet could go a long way over time.

I struggle with body dysmorphia, something I've been working on fixing in recent years. So I sympathize with people with body image issues.

My genetics afford me a certain amount of privilege, I assume.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Christ, he's still buff as fuck. He's just properly hydrated and probably hasn't lifted in a day or two. I'd fucking KILL to look like that.

Society is fucking nuts.

aSniperJones

Oct 26, 2017
District of Columbia
ASniperJones - legit Marvel body, amazing. Thanks for putting it out there, the first to do so. How much blood, sweat & tears to get where you are? presumably more than the "lol i just look like that its ez" guy above?

Thank you.

Four wasted years, not increasing intensity and not caring to eat consistently; I just didn't have nor seek the simple knowledge. After gaining the knowledge, which for me was writing down each of my lifts to ensure I was increasing the weight or intensity with each session and eating small meals five times a day, I started to improve my physique.

Props to you. You look like 100% amazing.

Work our recommendations for medium level fitness? (not beginner)

Really depends on your goals, so let me know.

It's summer; I'm not looking to grow, but to stay lean/cut [especially with all the beer I drink] and I want enjoy the summer weather, so I only spend an 1 hour 15 mins or less in the gym. I'm currently doing German Volume Training; 2 exercises [super set] 10 set x 10 reps [60 second rest between exercises & 90 seconds between superset] three times a week. It's intense because of the volume, so I don't go heavy at all... I rarely go heavy during training anyway. I also enjoy this type training because it doesn't require much moving about the gym, just in and out.

Saturday I do High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)

Oct 27, 2017
Christ, he's still buff as fuck. He's just properly hydrated and probably hasn't lifted in a day or two. I'd fucking KILL to look like that.

Society is fucking nuts.
The amazing part is that the people who are judging him harshly are likely nothing to write home about themselves. Social media is a terrible, terrible thing.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
"#nodaysoff"

You realise most people don't have the opportunity or willpower to go to the gym literally every single day?
You literally have posted a picture you had someone else take of you in a gym. And you have multiple pictures of you in the gym. This is the kind of obsession that makes this unrealistic that people are talking about.

That was never the point he was trying to make.

The post he quoted and the chain he was replying to was about the assertion that you need performance enhancers and steroids to achieve certain physiques.

Only FallingEdge addressed his point.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The mind set, not working out everyday. Rest is a huge part of training.

I see a ton of people make the opposite mistake of not having the discipline to workout at all; they think going every single day will get them results faster.

That's just how you injure yourself. Your body can't grow without being given the chance to recover.

Plum

May 31, 2018
The mind set, not working out everyday. Rest is a huge part of training.

People shouldn't have to undergo "training" every day to feel good in their own bodies, and I doubt that the rest periods are *that* long anyway.

To me it's very clear that aSniperJones, whilst he's definitely done well for himself, is not in a good position to dictate what everyone else should and should not be doing/feeling. At best it's a lack of empathy for people who aren't as perfectly disciplined as him, and at worst it's just going to make people who do have body issues feel worse about themselves.

That was never the point he was trying to make.

The post he quoted and the chain he was replying to was about the assertion that you need performance enhancers and steroids to achieve certain physiques.

Only FallingEdge addressed his point.

Yeah, I realise that, but I was addressing a prior point by him that his lifestyle is "not that different from the average." With a body like that, posts on Instagram with 1,000+ likes, and uses of hashtags like "#nodaysoff" that's evidently not true.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People shouldn't have to undergo "training" every day to feel good in their own bodies, and I doubt that the rest periods are *that* long anyway.

To me it's very clear that aSniperJones, whilst he's definitely done well for himself, is not in a good position to dictate what everyone else should and should not be doing/feeling. At best it's a lack of empathy for people who aren't as perfectly disciplined as him, and at worst it's just going to make people who do have body issues feel worse about themselves.

Yeah, I realise that, but I was addressing a prior point by him that his lifestyle is "not that different from the average." With a body like that, posts on Instagram with 1,000+ likes, and uses of hashtags like "#nodaysoff" that's evidently not true.

You're missing what "not that different from the average" means here; he's referring to his personal life. A number of people here have repeatedly insinuated that it's next to impossible to be fit with an average lifestyle and no use of enhancers.

Which is bullshit. As is claiming that someone's lifestyle can't be average if they enjoy working out in their spare time.

(Most people really should be getting at least 2 days worth of recovery in a week, maybe more, depending on what they're doing and what their goals are. That's not insignificant)

Plum

May 31, 2018
You're missing what "not that different from the average" means here; he's referring to his personal life. A number of people here have repeatedly insinuated that it's next to impossible to be fit with an average lifestyle and no use of enhancers.

Which is bullshit. As is claiming that someone's lifestyle can't be average if they enjoy working out in their spare time.

(Most people really should be getting at least 2 days worth of recovery in a week, maybe more, depending on what they're doing and what their goals are. That's not insignificant)

The thing is when I hear people say "my lifestyle is average" in these sorts of discussions it's almost never true as they practically always put the "average" way above what most people's actual levels are. That isn't an unfounded assumption in aSniperJones' case because his 'proof' that he lives a totally average life is something that most men can only dream of: an Instagram post with more than a thousand likes from people admiring your body. That ain't average and, hell, even you admit that you have amazing genes so you ain't average either.

But the thing is this is all beside the point, and that's the notion that one can get a body like yours or aSniperJone's if only they do just a "little bit more," than the "average lifestyle." That, as evidenced by the obesity epidemic and the even greater number of people who simply don't have a body like that, is bullshit. It essentially says to people who may be suffering from body dysmorphia or struggling with body issues that they're, in some way, deficient; that they're inherently lazy because they can't just do that 'little bit more' whilst living their average lifestyle.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That isn't an unfounded assumption in aSniperJones' case because his 'proof' that he lives a totally average life is something that most men can only dream of: an Instagram post with more than a thousand likes from people admiring your body

This is proof of nothing except the dude is good-looking and worked hard to get the body he has (and is maybe a popular nigga, idk).

That's it. That's not a statement about how many life obstacles he has preventing him from getting to a gym.

This just comes across as being upset that someone is enjoying the results of doing something that other people are totally capable of doing (with varying degrees of success and difficulty, obviously).

Plum

May 31, 2018
This is proof of nothing except the dude is good-looking and worked hard to get the body he has (and is maybe a popular nigga, idk).

That's it. That's not a statement about how many life obstacles he has preventing him from getting to a gym.

This just comes across as being upset that someone is enjoying the results of doing something that other people are totally capable of doing (with varying degrees of success and difficulty, obviously).

Yes he "worked hard" but, ultimately, his "worked hard," is most people's "climbed Everest with their legs tied together." You don't get to a body like and a following like that without a lot of hard work and dedication, which is great, but it shouldn't be a factor in these discussions because it perpetuates the idea that you need to have a body like that before you can actually feel good about yourself and be "average."

And I'm not upset that he's enjoying the results of his 'hard work', I'm upset because posts like his downplay the constant life struggle that I've gone through to feel comfortable in my own body. It's the equivalent of showing a poor person an Instagram post of you on a private cruise in Spain and going "well I didn't do much outside of the average lifestyle." That might actually be the case from your perspective but on the poor person's perspective it doesn't help at all, and from experience it would only make things worse.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stronglifts/Starting Strength or some variation thereof are the most frequently-recommended routines for beginners. If you are actually doing PPL 3 days a week, you are hitting each muscle group once over the course of 7 days and are hence wasting your time. PPL routines are also typically 5-6 exercises with 3-5 sets for each. Inclusive of proper warm-ups for compound lifts and I have severe doubts that you can do that in 30 minutes.
Yeah, their description of PPL sounds like a full body workout rather than PPL. If you're just doing 3 days a week, full body is the way to go.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
"#nodaysoff"

You realise most people don't have the opportunity or willpower to go to the gym literally every single day?

I'm pretty sure that no days off thing was a figure of speech. i take it as no days off from motivation.

You don't need to go to the gym everyday to have a good body, and there are many ways to achieve it. With the busy life, with work and everything, i just workout 3 times a week and that's enough to have a toned ripped body. It's mostly what you eat, that's the most important.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

For a lot of people it's not about looking good or feeling good in terms of body image but health and well-being. The science is plentiful, recommended by doctors the world over and the vast majority of those that are serious about it aren't doing your crazy actor stuff to meet a filming deadline. Some give it a go but people quickly find out how unsustainable that form of training is and how bad they feel.

That said you don't need to go to the gym at all, some just prefer it to working out elsewhere and it's more cost effective once you get onto big plates or prefer machines to free weights. Plus it's easier if doing supersets as everything is there ready to grab. I don't like gyms it's an effort out of the way. Gyms can be a nice change of pace so something like Hussle works well for me.

Rest is actually long. It's what you spend most time doing. Most people I know who work out dislike the rest because they enjoy the working out. But you need to put the effort in and make it consistent, it becomes part of your day to day not a fad that you do for a bit, something that becomes a habit and most of all fun. You eat correctly, you do the exercise for your goals and you get the rest you need. Just start with the basics, ensure you progress by really putting your all into workouts and see how far that gets you, just don't expect to look or perform like somebody that's been working out for years when you have only been doing it only for a month.

Body dysmorphia is an issue, one that's complicated by portrayals of good looking people in the media and why some people workout but not why everyone does it. The other benefits to why working out is recommended to everyone are obvious.

The latter is why you have so many in this thread saying those images featured are achievable but it's the methods and time frames that are actually unrealistic. Just look around any street and you will see people of similar states of fitness, I see them everyday.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Firstly, aSniperJones, you have a great body and I have immense respect for your dedication. Also, I am sorry I advance for talking about you without knowing you.

I think the Problem (if you want to call it that) with aSniperJones posts is not that he is a good looking guy that clearly knows how to work for and maintain a body like his.
But you guys have to see that this is definitely not average and attainable&maintainable only if you really want to achieve that kind of body. Looking like this is more like a goal in and on itself and has less to do with being "medically" fit and subjectively good looking. There is a difference between "regulary fit and healthy" and "peak human physique". And that is totally fine.

The problem this thread is talking about is not that a body like aSniperJones' is unattainable on principle, but that it takes a very specific mindset that just is not for everybody (as it exceeds what you need to be "regular fit & healthy"), yet you see this kind of body all over the media as an "everyman" type of look.

Seriously, some of the posts above mine read like you either look like a chiseled statue of pure muscle or you are basically at deaths door because you are so unhealthy.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes he "worked hard" but, ultimately, his "worked hard," is most people's "climbed Everest with their legs tied together." You don't get to a body like and a following like that without a lot of hard work and dedication, which is great, but it shouldn't be a factor in these discussions because it perpetuates the idea that you need to have a body like that before you can actually feel good about yourself and be "average."

And I'm not upset that he's enjoying the results of his 'hard work', I'm upset because posts like his downplay the constant life struggle that I've gone through to feel comfortable in my own body. It's the equivalent of showing a poor person an Instagram post of you on a private cruise in Spain and going "well I didn't do much outside of the average lifestyle." That might actually be the case from your perspective but on the poor person's perspective it doesn't help at all, and from experience it would only make things worse.

You're still missing that he never tried to claim everyone should be able to do what he does.

He only said his lifestyle was average (which I assume means his career and personal life). His success in the gym and on social media is not a statement on how average his life is or isn't, so it doesn't make sense to continue to try to claim otherwise.

It not being easy doesn't mean he did anything "average" (whatever that means in this context) people aren't totally capable of also doing.

Plum

May 31, 2018
For a lot of people it's not about looking good or feeling good in terms of body image but health and well-being. The science is plentiful, recommended by doctors the world over and the vast majority of those that are serious about it aren't doing your crazy actor stuff to meet a filming deadline. Some give it a go but people quickly find out how unsustainable that form of training is and how bad they feel.

That said you don't need to go to the gym at all, some just prefer it to working out elsewhere and it's more cost effective once you get onto big plates or prefer machines to free weights. Plus it's easier if doing supersets as everything is there ready to grab. I don't like gyms it's an effort out of the way. Gyms can be a nice change of pace so something like Hussle works well for me.

Rest is actually long. It's what you spend most time doing. Most people I know who work out dislike the rest because they enjoy the working out. But you need to put the effort in and make it consistent, it becomes part of your day to day not a fad that you do for a bit, something that becomes a habit and most of all fun. You eat correctly, you do the exercise for your goals and you get the rest you need. Just start with the basics, ensure you progress by really putting your all into workouts and see how far that gets you, just don't expect to look or perform like somebody that's been working out for years when you have only been doing it only for a month.

Body dysmorphia is an issue, one that's complicated by portrayals of good looking people in the media and why some people workout but not why everyone does it. The other benefits to why working out is recommended to everyone are obvious.

The latter is why you have so many in this thread saying those images featured are achievable but it's the methods and time frames that are actually unrealistic. Just look around any street and you will see people of similar states of fitness, I see them everyday.

I don't really need more instructions. Nothing personal with you, but there really isn't anything else that can be said to me that I haven't already heard before.

As for the health stuff, that's beside the point because "healthy" bodies and "jacked, ripped" bodies are two different things. You can be healthy whilst having very few visible muscles and you can be unhealthy whilst looking like Chris Pratt in GotG. The point of the thread focuses on the continued notion that men 'need' to have visibly 'ripped' bodies to feel good in their own bodies, and by bringing health into you're conflating the two together. It happens with female body standards as well; women are told that if you don't look like an Instagram model you're not as "healthy" as you should be even if they themselves aren't unhealthy in the slightest.

I live in a pretty populated city and anecdotally I rarely see people with bodies like the ones featured in this thread. I see people who are in shape, but that's not what this thread is about. It's the expectation that you *need* to have a body like Sniper's or one of the OP's examples to feel good in yourself, and the continued insistence that you only need to do some "very simple," things to get there.

You're still missing that he never tried to claim everyone should be able to do what he does.

He only said his lifestyle was average (which I assume means his career and personal life). His success in the gym and on social media is not a statement on how average his life is or isn't, so it doesn't make sense to continue to try to claim otherwise.

It not being easy doesn't mean he did anything "average" (whatever that means in this context) people aren't totally capable of also doing.

You don't need to explicitly say that people should have your body to perpetuate that idea. Simply coming into a thread like this and saying that "everyone is capable of getting a body like mine!" does the same thing as saying "everyone should have a body like mine!" As I said, it's not needed, and it really doesn't help in the slightest.

And his lifestyle includes his fitness regime, I don't know why you're both trying to separate them when they're literally the same thing.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't need to explicitly say that people should have your body to perpetuate that idea. Simply coming into a thread like this and saying that "everyone is capable of getting a body like mine!" does the same thing as saying "everyone should have a body like mine!" As I said, it's not needed, and it really doesn't help in the slightest.

And his lifestyle includes his fitness regime, I don't know why you're both trying to separate them when they're literally the same thing.

It makes absolutely no sense to argue people aren't capable of doing X due to Y, and yet claim that X and Y are the same thing.

They ain't the same thing, chief. That's not what anybody was even discussing. And at no point in time did he say everyone was capable of anything, he just debunked the (very false) idea that average joes can't attain what he has without steroids.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah it's nothing like a full body. Just a quick google would show you what a beginner 3 day PPL is and how effective they are for them.
I mean, I've seen and done PPL routines before. But only hitting muscle groups once a week isn't particularly effective. You don't need a week of rest for muscles.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I've seen and done PPL routines before. But only hitting muscle groups once a week isn't particularly effective. You don't need a week of rest for muscles.

Not counting compound lifts, I tend to only hit my muscle groups once a week. Not saying that's necessarily ideal, but it's always been pretty effective for me, even throughout my college athletic career.

Some of that is probably my genetics, but I tend to hit them pretty hard on the one day a week I'm focusing on them.

If you're trying to really go crazy, yeah, a bit more would be preferable, but it's not needed for just ordinary fitness levels, or even quite a few steps above that.

Plum

May 31, 2018
It makes absolutely no sense to argue people aren't capable of doing X due to Y, and yet claim that X and Y are the same thing.

They ain't the same thing, chief. That's not what anybody was even discussing. And at no point in time did he say everyone was capable of anything, he just debunked the (very false) idea that average joes can't attain what he has without steroids.

This ain't about the steroids thing, chief. It's about how coming into a thread like this and saying "I'm totally ripped and you can be me too!" doesn't help at all. By continuing to insist that anyone can have a body like the ones in the OP if they just 'stopped being lazy' (which is the insinuation here) both you and him come across as lacking empathy for those who aren't as fit as yourselves, and in a thread about harmful perspectives on body image that simply isn't needed in my eyes. As I said before, it's missing the point at best and actively harmful at worst.

Nov 17, 2017
I think it's a little funny how "average" to people keeps raising higher and higher. Like suddenly chiseled abs, huge pecs and sculpted arms are now average to a lot of people which makes me think they don't know what the word average actually means...

Average for body types is defined by bodies. If you were to average out the body types of men within a certain age range you would not get these buff, toned guys. To say you are above average doesn't mean you are some perfect god being but I feel like a lot of the guys who are claiming to be average while being buff have no sense of what average is because their perception has been warped.

With how people have defined the new average for men, there's hardly any room above average, you basically have to be a body builder at that point. You've narrowed the spectrum at that point; like going from 60 to 100 in a single breath.