• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I've heard the sentence "they put a boss from x in y" a few times before, particularly with Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne. Yet since, alas, I don't have access to the latter I could never test their veracity, even if I can somewhat understand where they are coming from. Recently one of the variations of this sentence that I've heard is "they put a Sekiro boss in Elden Ring" concerning Malenia. At first I thought it was just because of her weapons and some of her attacks but having played Sekiro I realized not just how correct that sentence was, but how Malenia would go from a broken boss in ER to possibly the best From boss in Sekiro. Here is why:

i. The cadence of her attacks. Malenia attacks (minus Waterflow) have a very deliberate rhythm to them. They are fast enough to be dangerous, but not fast enough that you can't mostly react to them as they come. Malenia is not simply a game of memorizing patterns to know what attacks you should run away or how much seconds you must wait before dodging a delayed attack, you're always in the moment. This is the same cadence that the best bosses Sekiro have: Isshin(s), Emma, Owl(s), Genichiro...

giphy-downsized-large.gif
giphy-downsized-large.gif

They are the same picture.

ii. The life steal would work better. Both in Souls and in Sekiro you have basically three ways to defend from an attack (even if they work very differently): parry/perfect deflect; block/deflect; dodge/dodge with less i-frames. In Sekiro perfect deflect and deflect are much more intertwined and are a big part of the gameplay, but they operate in a similar risk reward system that parry/block in the Souls game. The thing is: Malenia's life steal would work much better with that system. Perfect deflect = no life steal; deflect = life steal. You're encouraging the player to improve, yet with a very "harmless" way to hurt them if they don't. There are a lot of mechanics that encourage a perfected timed deflect in Sekiro, this would be one more of top of them. And a special one for a special fight.

iii. Her Waterflow attack would work beautifully. The main reason, in fact, the only reason Malenia fight is broken in Elden Ring is her waterflow attack. It goes against the spirit of the fight and as a result you end up fighting it, rather than Malenia. Transport this to Sekiro and what you have, an absolutely fantastic move. It would be a blast to perfect deflect her entire attack. Not coincidentally, you can see the "precursor" of this attack in Isshin Ashina fight, and you can perfect deflect the "slash orb" by timing your parries. Instead of simply avoiding it like in Souls, in Sekiro Malenia special attack would offer the opportunity for a risk, yet extremely rewarding counter attack.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

I couldn't find a fight where the player deflects the attack, but it can be done. And it's fun.

Edit: Found it:

giphy.gif

iv. Her second phase would work even better. The biggest differences from Malenia first phase to the second is that in the latter she is way more aggresive, she has some new attacks, does rot damage and some of her attacks leave a small AoE attack in front of her that the player needs to avoid. It's this last difference that I wish to focus because I believe it would be tailor made to Sekiro. In ER its main effect is further decreasing the windows you have to punish Malenia, in Sekiro it would work similarly, yet it would be a more organic fit to the gameplay. Think about it. After perfect deflecting the last attack in a combo, the game would ask you last thing of you before you can attack, dodging out of the way of that AoE. Perfect deflect, then dodge. Two inputs rather than one. And because the dodge in Sekiro is faster, you still have a perfect opportunity to deal some damage. It perfectly matches Sekiro emphasis on parry.

giphy.gif

Deflect. Dodge. Punish.

Make no mistake, Malenia is *mostly* a fantastic boss in Elden Ring. I strongly believe if they tweak her waterflow attack even if slightly she would go to a top tier fight (not just in ER but in all Souls), while as it is it hurts the boss immensely. What I tried to show here is that it's outstanding how she would work well in Sekiro.

Last edited:

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
She feels like the Tomoe boss fight from a cancelled Sekiro DLC lol
(I love her as she is in ER tho)

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
She's excellent, and I did find the fight to be very samurai-y due it being very slow and tense with bursts of movement here and there followed by needing to back off and be patient, but I'm not really seeing how her design lends herself to being a Sekiro boss? Sekiro's combat against human enemies is all about deflecting, meanwhile, the thing with Malenia though is that, as you said, you get punished for actually blocking her attacks. Which is why, with the exception of part of Waterfowl Dance, you should try to completely avoid her rather than block her.

Edit: Ah, I see now, you're proposing making changes to her fight to better fit with Sekiro's gameplay. Yeah, that I could see working well.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
while i agree in theory, i feel if we were to transpose her to Sekiro directly without any changes, she would've been an incredibly slow boss for what she is.
that said, it would rule to parry the waterfall attack.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
She's a great boss regardless tbh. She's also far too passive for a Sekiro boss, even with the aggressiveness bump in phase 2.
e: I could see the argument to tweak her a bit to be more manageable, but all her attacks have tells (albeit not extremely clear ones) and ways to deal with them.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
She's excellent, and I did find the fight to be very samurai-y due it being very slow and tense with bursts of movement here and there followed by needing to back off and be patient, but I'm not really seeing how her design lends herself to being a Sekiro boss? Sekiro's combat against human enemies is all about deflecting, meanwhile, the thing with Malenia though is that, as you said, you get punished for actually blocking her attacks. Which is why, with the exception of part of Waterfowl Dance, you should try to completely avoid her rather than block her.

I answered this is ii. Perfect deflect wouldn't heal her (like parry doesn't in ER). So you would be indirected punished for simply deflecting, and rewarded for perfect timing.

MoogleMaestro

Oct 25, 2017
Fighting her in ER felt like trying to play sekiro without parrying. I.E. Sekiro without the cool shit.

I wholly agree. I still think that she could be saved in ER though by making Waterflow's pattern more consistent. It's really the difficulty of predicting her movements in waterflow that makes the boss particularly annoying.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017

Edit: Ah, I see now, you're proposing making changes to her fight to better fit with Sekiro's gameplay. Yeah, that I could see working well.

I think OP's saying that—through Street Fighter 3rd Strike game logic—a well timed parry would ideally negate the life steal, but would be riskier overall.

The cadence of the attacks do feel closer together than most Souls boss attack strings, so I see where they are coming from

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
Its funny because Sekiro had a souls boss (demon of hatred) that was a harder than necessary fight because it was in the wrong game, and now we have a sekiro fight in a "souls" like game.

whoops-my.gif

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I think OP's saying that—through Street Fighter 3rd Strike game logic—a well timed parry would ideally negate the life steal, but would be riskier overall.

The cadence of the attacks do feel closer together than most Souls boss attack strings, so I see where they are coming from

I think my logic is sound (well, at least reasonable) as it's a direct translation between game mechanics. A perfect deflect wouldn't heal her in Sekiro because a parry doesn't heal her in Elden Ring.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I still think way too much is made out of Malenia. I think she fits in just fine for Elden Ring and she's a very learnable boss with fun patterns. She does come in for attacks a little hotter than most bosses, but I didn't feel like I was fighting something out of place compared to the rest of the game.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I think my logic is sound (well, at least reasonable) as it's a direct translation between game mechanics. A perfect deflect wouldn't heal her in Sekiro because a parry doesn't heal her in Elden Ring.

I agree with the thread premise, I just didn't even know parries negated her lifesteal as I never even tried. Parries in games with chip damage for block tend to negate all damage, and 3rd Strike was the most prominent example I could think of

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I still think way too much is made out of Malenia. I think she fits in just fine for Elden Ring and she's a very learnable boss with fun patterns. She does come in for attacks a little hotter than most bosses, but I didn't feel like I was fighting something out of place compared to the rest of the game.
Yeah at the end of the day you just gotta learn not to get hit, same as every boss.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
I think she's fine. I mean she's hard, and she kicked my ass a bunch, and I let my summons beat her. But it's clear from watching other players that she's completely reasonable boss in the framework of ER. My opinion of ER bosses in general have improved over time tbh.

That said, I think she--like the Demon of Hatred--is explicitly intended as a reference or nod toward Game X, but still calibrated for their home games. When we players think "wow, this feels like Sekiro/Bloodborne/whatever", that's an intended reaction, but also they act as demonstrations of the flexibility of each of their home game's combat systems.

EDIT: Full disclosure, I never had an issue with Demon of Hatred either. I didn't learn how to "play right" in Sekiro until I reached Isshin, so that might've ironically worked to my advantage.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Malenia was designed to face Silver Tear Mimic + 10 🤭 That's her real opponent.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
ER more than other Souls games really punishes poor spacing I feel like. From the very beginning margit has a combo wombo that is just impossible to deal with in phase 2 if you're too close in to begin with. That carries across to all of the easier and harder melee based encounters I think and Melania is just the ultimate lesson in giving yourself enough space that you can resolve one of her moves with a single dodge and walking back.

The only thing which really feels poorly implemented is the waterfowl dance. I'm fine with the life steal stuff, if you are a shield player it will mean you've got to be a DPS champ I guess. But I don't find it particularly limiting the way it works, it just makes it a really dangerous dance of death. Or a war of attrition if you're a shield user, but I've seen shield users stomp the encounter

But WD puts you in a position where you either must have a shield with reasonable stability to resolve the first wave, or if you don't have a shield you must be spaced out to an unreasonable degree or you get killed as the first wave is unreactable at a certain distance, or you must have bloodhound step (limiting the weapon arts you could bring) or you must mess with the tracking of it by standing under her in a weird way which frankly shouldn't count imo when talking about how the fight is designed, it's way too arcane and particular, as well as extremely risky

All the other stuff about whether the boss belongs in Sekiro or not, I guess you could make it works but I don't think the boss is out of place in Souls, except for this really stupid attack which limits the player expression of the fight and stops it from being the top tier fight it could be. In that sense maybe the design philosophy of Sekiro bled in and had a negative impact here

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i hated everytime she deflected my attack

everytime i said "wrong game malenia!"

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
There's always going to be bosses in these games that would probably fit better in a different game, but the fact that they can still work in said game's context is interesting to me. Also, just wanted to say that the moment I realized that I could parry/deflect those super-fast rapid-fire attacks in Sekiro was a moment. Felt like Neo when that happened! LOL

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
ER more than other Souls games really punishes poor spacing I feel like. From the very beginning margit has a combo wombo that is just impossible to deal with in phase 2 if you're too close in to begin with. That carries across to all of the easier and harder melee based encounters I think and Melania is just the ultimate lesson in giving yourself enough space that you can resolve one of her moves with a single dodge and walking back.

The only thing which really feels poorly implemented is the waterfowl dance. I'm fine with the life steal stuff, if you are a shield player it will mean you've got to be a DPS champ I guess. But I don't find it particularly limiting the way it works, it just makes it a really dangerous dance of death. Or a war of attrition if you're a shield user, but I've seen shield users stomp the encounter

But WD puts you in a position where you either must have a shield with reasonable stability to resolve the first wave, or if you don't have a shield you must be spaced out to an unreasonable degree or you get killed as the first wave is unreactable at a certain distance, or you must have bloodhound step (limiting the weapon arts you could bring) or you must mess with the tracking of it by standing under her in a weird way which frankly shouldn't count imo when talking about how the fight is designed, it's way too arcane and particular, as well as extremely risky

All the other stuff about whether the boss belongs in Sekiro or not, I guess you could make it works but I don't think the boss is out of place in Souls, except for this really stupid attack which limits the player expression of the fight and stops it from being the top tier fight it could be. In that sense maybe the design philosophy of Sekiro bled in and had a negative impact here

Fully agree. I do feel you can generally be close to her, except for the Waterflow attack, which means you can't really be close to her (hence what I said concerning that attack feeling divorced of the main fight). Malenia is still very much a great fight, and would be a top tier one if they slight tweaked that one attack, but thinking about it I was surprised by how much it seems she would fit in Sekiro.

It's not just about some attack timings or aggressiveness, it's how all the gameplay mechanics would combine.

Apr 3, 2020
I take it as an insult to Sekiro's bosses.

I'm helping people to defeat her now in Elden Ring, the more I play I realised how this boss is one of the worst bosses have FROM ever did.

SoneaB

Oct 18, 2020
UK
Not sure I agree. I loved her as a boss in Elden Ring. As a Sekiro boss she would have been rather trivial to deal with.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
She'd be way too easy in Sekiro

She'd be about as easy as Isshin Ashina.

The one thing missing in this comparison is some attacks that would require a particular dodge in Sekiro. We can look at Malenia fight and imagine this or that attack would be a grab or a thrurst or a sweep but it's generally not a 1:1 comparison as I tried to make in the OP. And these types of attacks are one of the main sources of difficulty in Sekiro.

Depending on how you put those attacks she could very well be in the level of Isshin, The Sword Saint.

SmackDaddy

Nov 25, 2017
Los Angeles
I take it as an insult to Sekiro's bosses.

I'm helping people to defeat her now in Elden Ring, the more I play I realised how this boss is one of the worst bosses have FROM ever did.

Yee maybe I'm over soulslikes but I couldnt wait to get away from her grace site. I just summoned my mimic tear and we beat the shit out of her mercilessly.

Blasphemous blade L2 spam knocks her over. GG

Oct 27, 2017
Totally agree, it doesnt feel right in Souls/Elden ring, but the parry/perfect parry system in Sekiro would've been perfect for this fight.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really understand the cadence part tbh
There are tells and timings to memorize, because you're gonna get hit if you dodge too early or into the wrong place, which is basic Souls. So I wouldn't say I was always in the moment, I was reacting to patterns I had memorized over the course of previous failures
She's kinda like Maria, now that I think about it.
But even with the punishment for blocking, it's still something you can do if the situation demands it. So it turned blocking in this fight more into a last resort kind of thing. Yes it would've probably worked best in Sekiro, but it's not downright out of place in ER.

It's easily the best boss in the game, maybe the only actually thrilling fight and her absence here would've actually knocked the game down an entire tier. I'd rather they nerfed her waterfowl dance instead of transplanting the fight into fricking Sekiro lmao
Also now that it's mentioned, I never had a problem with Demon of Hatred being in Sekiro either.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
FS needs to give us a Sekiro style ER game. Let me grapple hook all over huge vertical environments.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
iv. Her second phase would work even better. The biggest differences from Malenia first phase to the second is that in the latter she is way more aggresive, she has some new attacks, does rot damage and some of her attacks leave a small AoE attack in front of her that the player needs to avoid. It's this last difference that I wish to focus because I believe it would be tailor made to Sekiro. In ER its main effect is further decreasing the windows you have to punish Malenia, in Sekiro it would work similarly, yet it would be a more organic fit to the gameplay. Think about it. After perfect deflecting the last attack in a combo, the game would ask you last thing of you before you can attack, dodging out of the way of that AoE. Perfect deflect, then dodge. Two inputs rather than one. And because the dodge in Sekiro is faster, you still have a perfect opportunity to deal some damage. It perfectly matches Sekiro emphasis on parry.

giphy.gif
this part here is the real seller for me. The AoE attack that Malenia does when she hits the ground is the easiest thing to avoid, to the extent that it left me scratching my head as to why it was even in her moveset.

this part here is the real seller for me. The AoE attack that Malenia does when she hits the ground is the easiest thing to avoid, to the extent that it left me scratching my head as to why it was even in her moveset.
With the increase in aggression in her second phase, having a reliable punishment like the rot AOE makes the fight go down pretty fast since she's rather fond of using it. I don't think it's anything more complicated than that.

Oct 25, 2017
I probably died upwards of 100 times in this fight but finally beating her was one of the most satisfying moments of the game for me. So much so that every boss after her felt underwhelming.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Beat her on my second try in like two minutes at SL120 with RoB +10, Blood Uchi +25, and Mimicbro +10.

No regrets.

Zaki2407

May 6, 2018
I watched dozens of Melenia fight on youtube before I actually reached her location.
I was at level 200, river of blood +10 and mimic tear +10. Beat her on my 3rd try.
This katana is too op imho (which I really like hehe)
Will try to face her again on NG+2 with another weapon and without using mimic tear.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I don't really understand the cadence part tbh
There are tells and timings to memorize, because you're gonna get hit if you dodge too early or into the wrong place, which is basic Souls. So I wouldn't say I was always in the moment, I was reacting to patterns I had memorized over the course of previous failures
She's kinda like Maria, now that I think about it.
But even with the punishment for blocking, it's still something you can do if the situation demands it. So it turned blocking in this fight more into a last resort kind of thing. Yes it would've probably worked best in Sekiro, but it's not downright out of place in ER.

It's easily the best boss in the game, maybe the only actually thrilling fight and her absence here would've actually knocked the game down an entire tier. I'd rather they nerfed her waterfowl dance instead of transplanting the fight into fricking Sekiro lmao
Also now that it's mentioned, I never had a problem with Demon of Hatred being in Sekiro either.

There is memorization involved, but I think there is a bigger emphasis on reflexes. Compare Malenia with Margit, for example. A lot of his attacks, either in the first or second fight, are delayed attacks. And a delayed attack is all about memorization: you see the boss preparing it, and you can't really react to the attack when it comes because it's so fast. All you can do is recgonize the tell, count the seconds in your head, and dodge in a way that you learned is effective.

With Malenia (and Isshin for example), you still have to memorize patterns and timing, but a lot of their attacks can be reacted in the moment. You see them preparing an attack and you dodge/parry. Then you have time to further prepare for the next attack. Sometimes they mix things up, for example with a follow up attack that is nigh instant, so to perfectly deflect it you will have to learn, and then remember, it's coming.

It's something like this, if you forgive my poetic license:

Malenia/Isshin: ......attack.....attack.....attack..attack.....attack.

Margit: ...attack.attack..attack......................attack...................................attack.

Beast Clergyman: attack.attack.attack.attacattack.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Its funny because Sekiro had a souls boss (demon of hatred) that was a harder than necessary fight because it was in the wrong game, and now we have a sekiro fight in a "souls" like game.

whoops-my.gif

I've always felt that there are a line of enemies and mini-bosses in Sekiro that most people beat with dodging/jumping and hitting, namely the Ogres and Bulls. Now while these enemies can be parried, I think most dodge and its about depleting them of all health rather than building up posture for a death blow. So I've always seen DoH as an optional final exam on those types of bosses.

(And I see ISS as a final exam on parry style bosses, and Owl part 2 as a final exam on counters. IMO, they all belong.)

Apr 3, 2020
Also, if we are going by this logic then pick any boss based a melee weapon style will fit in Sekiro with small adjustment, and no one will be better than the already bosses in the game, expect my man, Morgott.

Yee maybe I'm over soulslikes but I couldnt wait to get away from her grace site. I just summoned my mimic tear and we beat the shit out of her mercilessly.

Blasphemous blade L2 spam knocks her over. GG

She's sluggish, boring and uninteresting.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I've always felt that there are a line of enemies and mini-bosses in Sekiro that most people beat with dodging/jumping and hitting, namely the Ogres and Bulls. Now while these enemies can be parried, I think most dodge and its about depleting them of all health rather than building up posture for a death blow. So I've always seen DoH as an optional final exam on those types of bosses.

(And I see ISS as a final exam on parry style bosses, and Owl part 2 as a final exam on counters. IMO, they all belong.)

Actually the Bull enemies are a perfect example of using the sub weapons as the firecrackers are a hard counter to the bull that absolutely trivializes the fight.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I watched dozens of Melenia fight on youtube before I actually reached her location.
I was at level 200, river of blood +10 and mimic tear +10. Beat her on my 3rd try.
This katana is too op imho (which I really like hehe)
Will try to face her again on NG+2 with another weapon and without using mimic tear.

Its funny, I had to summon to beat her, which I've never done before in Soulslike, not even NPC summons. My second run I actually started over a NG and I'm running a Dex/Arcane build, largely with the intent of giving myself the best chance of taking her out without summons or ashes.